Port Side or Starboard Side on NCL Breakaway

Posted (edited)

Hello,

If I want to see the ports from my balcony, should I be on the port side or Starboard side. We start in Barcelona and then head to Cannes and then Italy.

Itinerary

Edited by cborg1

Posted (edited)

Welcome to CC. We have the exact same itinerary. I think people will probably will say it doesn't matter. For the record, we're on starboard. We're usually still asleep when the ship arrives and eating dinner when the ship departs.

Having said that...as we say on CC...YMMV.

Edited by schmoopie17

Its unpredictable, sometimes the ship rotate 360 degree then dock. Select cabin by location, if you want to be close to stairs/elevators. 

There was a time when the “port” side of a ship meant just that- the side next to the port (the land). And that was because the “steering board” (steorbord in Old English and starboard now) was on the water side of the ship where it was most easy for right handed mariners to control and, thus, needed to be free facing to the open water. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cborg1 said:

Hello,

If I want to see the ports from my balcony, should I be on the port side or Starboard side. We start in Barcelona and then head to Cannes and then Italy.

Thank you for your first post. As soon as you leave each port, you will be out to sea and there won't be much to see. 

When in port, operational needs of the ship dictate which side will be docked. Some days they will want to test or service lifeboats on the port side. The next day on the starboard side. One day they will want to power wash one side of the ship, the next day the other. It is totally unpredictable.  

Since we're old and mobility challenged, we pick which ever side gets us a room near an elevator lobby. 

5 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Thank you for your first post. As soon as you leave each port, you will be out to sea and there won't be much to see. 

When in port, operational needs of the ship dictate which side will be docked. Some days they will want to test or service lifeboats on the port side. The next day on the starboard side. One day they will want to power wash one side of the ship, the next day the other. It is totally unpredictable.  

Since we're old and mobility challenged, we pick which ever side gets us a room near an elevator lobby. 

The elevator lobbies are in the middle of the ship so unless maybe we are talking a few inches closer, side doesn't matter for being closest to elevators.

1 hour ago, dexddd said:

The elevator lobbies are in the middle of the ship so unless maybe we are talking a few inches closer, side doesn't matter for being closest to elevators.

I think Bird was referring to longitudinal position and wanting to be close to the forward or aft elevator lobby so they don't need to walk a long hall to get there.

i used to have this unfounded theory that the ship will always dock to the portside, and since im an avid photographer, i always picked the port side, in my mistaken belief that i could take many pictures from our balcony. guess what! many times i was proven wrong, and the only thing i could photograph was the water.

now, regardless of the side of the ship, i merely go up to decks 13 or 14, and take my pictures from there, and im happy as a clam

so in the long run, it wont matter, so enjoy your cruise 

On 7/26/2024 at 7:33 AM, hallux said:

I think Bird was referring to longitudinal position and wanting to be close to the forward or aft elevator lobby so they don't need to walk a long hall to get there.

ahh, could be.