World Cafe Dinner on the Sea

Jjg34219

Currently on the Empires cruise and enjoying it, but one thing a bit disappointing to us is a sushi area has essentially replaced a salad bar area. Dont get me wrong, you can still make salad, but its minimal at best. They put lettuce out with essentially no toppings…evidently now you must ask for them. Also there are very few cooked veggies on the hot bar. Personally we think the area now used for sushi is way overdone, and sure would be nice to have the pasta bar.

Posted (edited)

Sushi is the only reason we visit the WC at dinner time. I would sure miss it if were phased out. Maybe they can do a better job of combining it with the seafood station on the other side and turn that station into a salad bar/pasta bar combo. 

Edited by Peregrina651
  • Like 6

We eat sushi more often than not.  The salad bar is on the other side.  I’m good with that.  When I want a salad with dinner, I merely make a trip to the other side. 

Would NOT want to see a pasta bar.  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mich3554 said:

We eat sushi more often than not.  The salad bar is on the other side.  I’m good with that.  When I want a salad with dinner, I merely make a trip to the other side. 

You missed my point

salad bar is lacking toppings in the evening…no tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, etc

1 hour ago, Jjg34219 said:

You missed my point

salad bar is lacking toppings in the evening…no tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, etc

No, you missed mine.  Many people eat their dinner at the sushi bar.  The sushi bar is a selling point for many, including DH and myself.

You can request a salad at the salad section.  

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Jjg34219 said:

You missed my point

We felt the same way on our June Venus cruise. Great salad choices at lunch and nothing but lettuce at dinner. Where our salad bar was at lunch became the seafood bar. I loved that for about three or four nights, then it got boring. Not a lot of veggies in general and this made it worse.

• Like 1

While on the subject of salads, I wish they would offer a side salad along with the extra vegetable section in the MDR. Sometimes I order the salad from the starter section and keep it to go with main course.

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Jjg34219 said:

Currently on the Empires cruise and enjoying it, but one thing a bit disappointing to us is a sushi area has essentially replaced a salad bar area. Dont get me wrong, you can still make salad, but its minimal at best. They put lettuce out with essentially no toppings…evidently now you must ask for them. Also there are very few cooked veggies on the hot bar. Personally we think the area now used for sushi is way overdone, and sure would be nice to have the pasta bar.

Well - each to his own, but . . .

You can always find salad on the starboard side of the World Cafe. You might not have all the massive fixings of the lunch menu, but they will fix up for you whatever you want there.

Personally, we go to World Cafe BECAUSE of the sushi - this is a highlight for many people on Viking.  They better not take this away.  It is incredible!  We don't think it is overdone AT ALL!!  In fact it has been there like it is since Viking Ocean began, so they didn't "take salad away" - it was never there at dinner on the port side.

As for cooked vegetables, you do have a point.  Viking is catering to the masses and they are not as big a vegetable fans as perhaps you and I might be.  We live with it and pick and choose.  For us there is not a "perfect" cruise line, (Viking comes close for us), so we accept some of the things we wish Viking would do differently, but in the long run, not such a big deal to complain about it on social media forums.

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Like 7

15 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

Totally agree....yummmms!  Sushi!  😋

Pasta bar...meh.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, island lady said:

Totally agree....yummmms!  Sushi!  😋

Pasta bar...meh.  

Likewise!  please no pasta bar....

We have sushi/sashimi every time we have dinner at World Cafe.

When I want a salad for dinner, I always just go to the other side.  And even if they don't have the goodies out front like lunch, I simply ask the person there for what I want and usually they can get it for me.  No problem.

Do agree though that vegetables are lacking - but again, when I spoke with one of the head Restaurant people, their response was, most of the passengers say they don't want many vegetables and instead a greater choice of entrees.  So I guess we are in the minority.  No doubt Viking has a tough job as they can't please everyone - there isn't enough space.  Someone will always be disappointed.

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Like 3

OP: So what is in the original sushi bar area, is it still there but just unused for anything?   Is it possible that no one was eating sushi so they shrunk it down or something?

35 minutes ago, rmalbers said:

OP: So what is in the original sushi bar area, is it still there but just unused for anything?   Is it possible that no one was eating sushi so they shrunk it down or something?

At lunch, there are 2 salad bars, one on each side of World Cafe.  In the evening, one side is turned into a sushi bar and the other side is a seafood bar where you can also get a salad.  

The sushi bar is definitely not underutilized at dinner.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Mich3554 said:

At lunch, there are 2 salad bars, one on each side of World Cafe.  In the evening, one side is turned into a sushi bar and the other side is a seafood bar where you can also get a salad.  

Well stated, Michelle.  This same configuration we've seen on all Viking Ocean ships since we began in 2018.

And yes - the sushi bar is VERY popular as we've noted.  Like the Asian bar in the back of World Cafe (on most of the ships, not all), you wind up seeing/meeting the same group of like-minded passengers there!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

Ok, I thought the OP was saying the sushi 'moved' from the original location to the salad bar area and the sushi bar was unused or something.

20 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Well stated, Michelle.  This same configuration we've seen on all Viking Ocean ships since we began in 2018.

And yes - the sushi bar is VERY popular as we've noted.  Like the Asian bar in the back of World Cafe (on most of the ships, not all), you wind up seeing/meeting the same group of like-minded passengers there!

Sadly, on our first cruise (also in 2018) we only went to one side of World Cafe to eat, assuming both sides were identical.  So we totally missed the sushi bar on that cruise.   We know better now!

Love the sushi bar.  Most nights we preferred to eat in the World Cafe mainly it was quick if we wanted to see a show.  Also, it has a great selection of food.

• Like 1