Bid upgrade question

This has probably been answered so I apologize. 

I have a bid in for an upgrade. I am in an ocean view and have bid for balcony and deluxe balcony. It is looking like only obstructed balconies are available.

Will Princess assign an obstructed balcony for a balcony bid?

Thanks for any input.

Kimberly

14 minutes ago, chrysalis said:

no

I just received an offer (I have received them several times in the past but did never bid) for a 14-day cruise. Currently, we are in an interior room.  If a cruise is port heavy, we generally don't spend the extra for a balcony. We do like the natural light of a window.   We don't mind an obstructed window view.  I just worry we will end up in a bad spot.  If you have any suggestions or thoughts on this, I would be grateful.  Thanks in advance to any and all that may reply.

26 minutes ago, Derbie said:

I just received an offer (I have received them several times in the past but did never bid) for a 14-day cruise. Currently, we are in an interior room.  If a cruise is port heavy, we generally don't spend the extra for a balcony. We do like the natural light of a window.   We don't mind an obstructed window view.  I just worry we will end up in a bad spot.  If you have any suggestions or thoughts on this, I would be grateful.  Thanks in advance to any and all that may reply.

If you are of the opinion that any obstructed view stateroom is better than the interior cabin that you have - then place a bid.  If you worry that you might end up with a bad location - then the bidding process might not be for you.  I personally book a room that I know I would be happy with.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Sailing solo, I usually have inside cabins.  Since Covid, possibility of being cabin bound, I like the idea of daylight.

I'm not bidding for my Oct. Emerald NE repositioning cruise, 14 days because of location.  I have an obstructed view on Emerald, midship.  I don't want to be higher up, near the front or rear of the ship.  I'm basically on decks 5, 6, 7, don't use the buffet, don't think I'll be in the pool so why risk it?

Edited by susancruzs
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I don't understand why you would think that they would *not* assign any available cabin in the requested bid category. 

I didn't think that an obstructed view balcony would be the equivalent to a "standard balcony" (that's the Princess terminology).

At the present time cabin E502 is shown as available.  It is midship obstructed view.

You can find a nice Youtube video tour of this cabin (on Crown Princess) which shows the view from the window along with the guest commentary.

Check it out and consider bidding  for an upgrade. Hope you get this one.  

Posted (edited)
On 7/26/2024 at 12:38 PM, chrysalis said:

I didn't think that an obstructed view balcony would be the equivalent to a "standard balcony" (that's the Princess terminology).

I have never seen any distinction via the bidding process that separated those balconies out from others other than "Deluxe Balcony" or just "Balcony".  I always thought that you just had to do your homework and be aware of the possibilities since it's "you get what you get" within the bidding category.  Maybe I've not been observant enough...

Edited by Rick&Jeannie

i would love to upgrade , but the difference is frankly absurd. £700 pp for an upgrade inside to sea view, £1300 pp for an upgrade to deluxe balcony. What is confusing is not just the cost of an upgrade but seeing that one week there are plenty of all grade cabins available and the next virtually nothing. Do they still upgrade as a matter of course. Personally unless they give me a sea view from the inside that I currently have i don't wish for them to give me a so called upgrade to another inside as personally i don't see any difference from one grade inside to another. Last year on P&O we did get an upgrade inside to sea view which was great. Pity the cruise itself didn't live up to what was expected.

1 hour ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

i would love to upgrade , but the difference is frankly absurd. £700 pp for an upgrade inside to sea view, £1300 pp for an upgrade to deluxe balcony. What is confusing is not just the cost of an upgrade but seeing that one week there are plenty of all grade cabins available and the next virtually nothing. Do they still upgrade as a matter of course. Personally unless they give me a sea view from the inside that I currently have i don't wish for them to give me a so called upgrade to another inside as personally i don't see any difference from one grade inside to another. Last year on P&O we did get an upgrade inside to sea view which was great. Pity the cruise itself didn't live up to what was expected.

Those prices do seem high. We were able to upgrade via the bidding process from a deluxe balcony to a mini-suite for $210 per person on our upcoming 14-day sailing, so that worked out to $15 per person per day more. That seemed reasonable to us. We were booked into a GTY deluxe balcony originally and hadn't received our room assignment before our bid was accepted, so it wasn't like we were risking giving up a prime location for a subprime one. And then, after we won the bid, our mini-suite assignment wasn't bad but there was another one in a location I preferred so I did a live chat with Princess and they were able to move me into the one with the preferred location. So it all really worked out very well for us.

We board Sun Princess in under 48 hours on Saturday and I get a bid upgrade email from Princess this morning!

It's the middle of the summer holiday season so I would have thought the ship would be full and cabins allocated well before this Saturday.

Curious to know what is going on. Does this happen with other ships?

On 7/31/2024 at 2:21 PM, JamieLogical said:

Those prices do seem high. We were able to upgrade via the bidding process from a deluxe balcony to a mini-suite for $210 per person on our upcoming 14-day sailing, so that worked out to $15 per person per day more. That seemed reasonable to us. We were booked into a GTY deluxe balcony originally and hadn't received our room assignment before our bid was accepted, so it wasn't like we were risking giving up a prime location for a subprime one. And then, after we won the bid, our mini-suite assignment wasn't bad but there was another one in a location I preferred so I did a live chat with Princess and they were able to move me into the one with the preferred location. So it all really worked out very well for us.

As  others have alluded to our ship Sky Princess states sold out, but apparently bidding goes on because some may pull out due to problems therefore other cabins become available. I have a theory about this difference in prices and may be totally wrong. The theory being when we booked the cruise last year the price for our inside cabin was some £1300 cheaper than it was up until the sold out notice went on the website. So maybe the prices quoted for bidding were based on the latest prices rather than what we paid ?

10 minutes ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

As  others have alluded to our ship Sky Princess states sold out, but apparently bidding goes on because some may pull out due to problems therefore other cabins become available. I have a theory about this difference in prices and may be totally wrong. The theory being when we booked the cruise last year the price for our inside cabin was some £1300 cheaper than it was up until the sold out notice went on the website. So maybe the prices quoted for bidding were based on the latest prices rather than what we paid ?

Bid prices should in no way be based on what a person has already paid. They already have that money. I imagine the bid ranges are based on how much more they think they can get out of people. If there is very limited (no) cabin availability in a given category, they don't need many bids to be able to fill those cabins with upgrades, so the short supply dictates higher bid ranges.

7 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Bid prices should in no way be based on what a person has already paid. They already have that money. I imagine the bid ranges are based on how much more they think they can get out of people. If there is very limited (no) cabin availability in a given category, they don't need many bids to be able to fill those cabins with upgrades, so the short supply dictates higher bid ranges.

Yes, that makes perfect sense. Just a bit frustrating from our point of view as we were hoping to get an upgrade pretty cheaply. But what will be, will be. We have had inside cabins on most of our cruises and due to the one we are on is Canada and New England in around a months time I doubt the journey across the pond will be balcony weather anyway. But maybe just nice if it was a sea view.