Options for a few hours after Cape Liberty

Just wondering for people who have got off their cruse at CL what the options might be to kill a few hours say up until 3pm? Not sure if staying on ship is an option or there is somewhere to leave baggage?

thanks

We are doing an excursion via our ship that will take us into New York City and drop us at the airport for our evening flight. You will be off the ship most likely no later than 8:30 or 9:00 am.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Unfortunately as mentioned there is no option to remain on the ship as reboarding for the next itinerary commences by 11:00 and you will need to be off well before that. Also unfortunately, there is very little to do around the terminal area and, unless well coordinated, any sightseeing that may require going into NYC or any surrounding area would likely compromise your stated timeline of 3:00 PM.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, gordylad said:

International 

So assuming Newark, arrival at 3:00 for an international flight is wise.  As a reference, the airport is only 15 minutes from the pier.  So whatever you decide with sightseeing, if in the immediate area, I would be wrapping that up by 2:30 latest.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, WestLakeGirl said:

There are three airports you might be flying from.  One is fairly close to that port while the other two are not. Which one are you flying from?

Agree and two of them in the NYC area could pose a traffic challenge unless any sightseeing was started and ended early.  I obviously was just guessing EWR for proximity to the port.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, gordylad said:

thanks deciding between newark and jfk

Well JFK is at least an hour and a half away from the cruise terminal with any kind of traffic.  I don't know how much sightseeing - in NYC or out - you would be able to comfortably do with a 3:00 PM target arrival time at JFK. I would be more concerned on getting to JFK without any issues.  Newark would be far easier in that respect.  Again, JMO. 

• Like 2

If you’re flying out of JFK, I’d hire a car service and do a bit of sightseeing on the way to tue airport. If it’s Newark, not much you can do.  Not enough time really to get into the city unless it’s a really late flight.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gordylad said:

thanks deciding between newark and jfk

JFk can be nightmare getting there is there is any problem on the Belt Parkway.  There is also a lot of road work going on inside the airport that can lead to delays.  Newark is 15-20 minutes even with traffic and the tolls are much lower unless someone long hauls you over the Goethals Bridge.   

38 minutes ago, dcbiker97 said:

Not enough time really to get into the city unless it’s a really late flight.  

I believe the OP indicated a 6:00 PM international flight with a targeted 3:00 PM airport check in time.  Not much time for any comfortable NYC sightseeing plus the concern with luggage. A long time to wait at Newark, although much less stress and hassle than JFK.  I would take Newark any day over JFK, especially from Cape Liberty.

12 hours ago, gordylad said:

Just wondering for people who have got off their cruse at CL what the options might be to kill a few hours say up until 3pm? Not sure if staying on ship is an option or there is somewhere to leave baggage?

If your flight is from JFK it would be best to take a cruise line bus excursion that takes you to JFK. My understanding is the tour bus passes by NYC sights but does not stop at them.

If you are flying from EWR you will have more hours to fill, though no good options. There are rental car agencies in Bayonne. You could use the trunk to store luggage, drive locally and then to EWR.

Jersey City has Liberty Science Center. Liberty State Park in Jersey City has ferry transportation to the Stature of Liberty. Both are close to Cape Liberty.

American Dream Mall in East Rutherford, NJ is about 15 miles from the port. You could spend time there.

If you do not want to rent a car you could Uber to Jersey City. Possibly find a hotel that would allow you to store your bags, you could then take PATH trains (different than the NYC subway) & be in Manhattan in 10-15 minutes. Or if the weather allows, stay in Jersey City have lunch, take in the spectacular views of lower Manhattan until time to go to EWR.

Luggage Hero & Bounce Luggage Storage may have locations near Bayonne to store your luggage.

My wife and I have decided to visit the Staten Island Zoo after disembarking before starting the journey home.  It's only about 8 miles from the cruise port.

On 8/3/2024 at 8:32 PM, mmbtvs said:

My wife and I have decided to visit the Staten Island Zoo after disembarking before starting the journey home.  It's only about 8 miles from the cruise port.

How do you intend to get there?  I would think that Uber is your best bet.

2 hours ago, Badatz2 said:

How do you intend to get there?  I would think that Uber is your best bet.

We are driving down so our car will be at the port waiting for us, but if we were flying in and out, we would take an uber for sure.