Pricing on NCL Has Gotten Outrageous

15 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

I did see the Sky TA prices dropped for balconies - we cancelled b/c it didn't fit our revised plans & other things going on, and need to renew my passport

I booked an oceanview for the Sky TA and used my one time Diamond upgrade to a balcony. Solo supplement has dropped for oceanviews so it will be interesting whether my requested FCC will be honored.

You are on my bad list for canceling the Sky TA but there is still time to make up for that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, david_sobe said:

I have no issue with what Sommer said.  He was honest.  Demand is up, prices are up, ship builds are up, etc.  However one thing he said (that's true) but stuck with me.  He said their market and customer base are "upper and upper middle class"  aka rich people LOL

The new ship builds are expensive and not catering to the massive middle class families.  He is right about trends too.  Cruising many years ago was for the affluent just like flying was.  Then cruising became affordable and so did flying.  Middle class was able to fly on vacation and go on cruises.  Are we now entering a phase that only upper class people can afford to cruise?  Sommer admitted this is their target market.  I think this explains my cruising history. I used to cruise twice a year, then once a year and now once every few years.  

It's interesting that you mentioning flying. In aviation, the business model is that the airlines compete on price for economy passengers which has driven prices so low that the airlines make their real money on premium cabins where the profit margins are much better (also cobranded credit cards, but that's less pertinent to cruises). 

And I think that's what Sommer was getting at. The big profit is in The Haven, and they're going to chase that class of passenger over the budget staterooms. Expect the newer ships to have bigger Havens and fewer Inside, Studio, and OV cabins. (In terms of ratio I mean, those things are going to be massive so there'll still be plenty of everything).

This doesn't mean the cheaper fares are gone forever. That certainly wasn't the case for flying, the price of an economy ticket has increased much slower than virtually anything else. But the thing about economy seats is that they have to be notably worse than premium economy (let alone business or first class) or the airlines can't justify the difference in price. 

1 hour ago, JIMESOPUS said:

Norse Atlantic Air has cheap flights to Lisbon from NYC, a very long day but cheap.

Well, we live in Florida so that doesn't help us much.

We have flights set up (an extra long day) that we used some airline miles on.

This is just one example, and as I've said, a little shopping goes a long way.

-$163 round trip on Frontier (let's call it $200 with luggage)-Airfare from Cincinnati to New Orleans, arriving the day before the cruise

-$150 inc/tax- Hyatt 1.5 miles from the port (stayed there before, nice hotel)

-$1,804/cabin- NCL Getaway Balcony Cabin, all in, including taxes fees and FAS,

-PORTS-Harvest Cay, Cozumel, Roatan

TOTAL-$2,117

Let's call it $2,200 with UBER and taking yourself out for a meal while in New Orleans.

Let's start deducting....

($400) if you only get an Ocean View Cabin

($270) if you have the 15% off coupon

($180) if you're a Veteran

-You'd be under $1,300 for the cruise and still have drinks, 2 SDPs, some internet and excursion discounts of $50 per excursion

The Away ships are nice ships, not the newest...not the oldest, but the ones that have the goodies like "THE WATERFRONT", OCEAN 678, Syd Norman's, all the Specialty Dining Restaurants people usually like.

All-in-all, a very nice vacation for between $1,300 and $2,200 for EVERYTHING! You wouldn't have put your hand in your pocket for another nickel the entire time.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

This is just one example, and as I've said, a little shopping goes a long way.

-$163 round trip on Frontier (let's call it $200 with luggage)-Airfare from Cincinnati to New Orleans, arriving the day before the cruise

-$150 inc/tax- Hyatt 1.5 miles from the port (stayed there before, nice hotel)

-$1,804/cabin- NCL Getaway Balcony Cabin, all in, including taxes fees and FAS, Harvest Cay, Cozumel, Roatan

TOTAL-$2,117

Let's call it $2,200 with UBER and taking yourself out for a meal while in New Orleans.

Let's start deducting....

($400) if you only get an Ocean View Cabin

($270) if you have the 15% off coupon

($180) if you're a Veteran

-You'd be under $1,300 for the cruise and still have drinks, 2 SDPs, some internet and excursion discounts of $50 per excursion

The Away ships are nice ships, not the newest...not the oldest, but the ones that have the goodies like "THE WATERFRONT", OCEAN 678, Syd Norman's, all the Specialty Dining Restaurants people usually like.

All-in-all, a very nice vacation for between $1,300 and $2,200 for EVERYTHING! You wouldn't have put your hand in your pocket for another nickel the entire time.

Where you finding that price with FAS included. I see that price for sale away balcony?

1 hour ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

I booked an oceanview for the Sky TA and used my one time Diamond upgrade to a balcony. Solo supplement has dropped for oceanviews so it will be interesting whether my requested FCC will be honored.

You are on my bad list for canceling the Sky TA but there is still time to make up for that.

I was able to get FCC when they removed the solo supplement for an upcoming cruise, making a regular OV cabin considerably cheaper than the solo I'd booked. This was with a WP upgrade to a balcony.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, julig22 said:

I was able to get FCC when they removed the solo supplement for an upcoming cruise, making a regular OV cabin considerably cheaper than the solo I'd booked. This was with a WP upgrade to a balcony.

This is great to know. Thank you for sharing.

Just to clarify...even though you booked a solo oceanview and made final payment, you were still able to get FCC when the solo supplement was removed for non-solo oceanview?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

This is great to know. Thank you for sharing.

Just to clarify...even though you booked a solo oceanview and made final payment, you were still able to get FCC when the solo supplement was removed for non-solo oceanview?

Oops, I'm getting my cruises confused LOL. Forget the solo supplement comment. After final payment, the OV price dropped to below what I'd paid for solo OV on an upcoming cruise - even with paying double. And for once I hadn't taken BOGO airfare, so FCC was on the table. Solo cabins were sold out so no price comparison available. I pointed out that it didn't seem quite fair to solos because of the limited number of cabins and they gave me FCC for the difference between what I'd paid for my solo cabin and the current price for OV.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, julig22 said:

After final payment, the OV price dropped to below what I'd paid for solo OV on an upcoming cruise - even with paying double. And for once I hadn't taken BOGO airfare, so FCC was on the table. Solo cabins were sold out so no price comparison available. I pointed out that it didn't seem quite fair to solos because of the limited number of cabins and they gave me FCC for the difference between what I'd paid for my solo cabin and the current price for OV.

Thanks again; this is very helpful information. I have been hesitant about booking solo cabins. Even though they might be cheaper initially, once the solo cabins are sold out (as they are limited as you pointed out) and passed final payment, often the prices for non-solo cabins drop below the original price offered for solo cabins, as in your case. Glad to hear that fairness and logic won.

1 minute ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Thanks again; this is very helpful information. I have been hesitant about booking solo cabins. Even though they might be cheaper initially, once the solo cabins are sold out (as they are limited as you pointed out) and passed final payment, often the prices for non-solo cabins drop below the original price offered for solo cabins, as in your case. Glad to hear that fairness and logic won.

Yes, the only reason I even booked solo on this trip was because the balcony I wanted happened to be designated as solo and so I had to book a solo OV to upgrade to the balcony.

Earlier, I'd booked a solo cabin on a different cruise and at that time they wouldn't let me use my points to upgrade, had to book a regular cabin. So they keep changing the rules, hard to know what's the best approach..

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Who requires a tux on gala nights?

Cunard, you could get away with a suit jack and a nice dress or head over to the buffet to get a meal.

https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/activity-types/evening/gala-balls

Other nights suggestion

" If you do want to make an effort in the evening you won’t be alone. The majority of guests traveling with us embrace the chance to switch to smart attire by night. This doesn’t mean you’ll be expected to wear a gown or dinner jacket each evening. Smart attire simply means a dress shirt and trousers, a skirt and a top, or a cocktail dress. Essentially, choose something along the same vein as you’d wear to a stylish restaurant or the theatre on a special occasion. "

a semi-live report has been started by @mking8288

• Like 3

10 hours ago, david_sobe said:

Sommer admitted this is their target market.  I think this explains my cruising history. I used to cruise twice a year, then once a year and now once every few years.  

A quick check of your signature suggests an obvious remedy.

10 hours ago, JIMESOPUS said:

So has NCL been reading this thread? This banner just appeared today on the NCL page.

image.thumb.png.ed6cc16a61c05b53b99810f66d8fc7c2.png

Just my two cents here. Last year we sailed on NCL seven times but most of the cruises were booked during the restart, could we ever do that again? No

As we get deeper into retirement we have been slowly reducing excess spending, it will be the same thing here.

The NCL cutbacks have reduced the value of the drink package ( sorry we don't have that here, or I can't make that anymore has been a common theme recently ), specialty restaurant menus have been slashed, and at some point, do we want them anymore?

We'll hunt for those deals, plenty of sites that can help. Our travel agent knows what we want and is out there looking too. 

We'll be lucky if we can sail once a year very soon.

Jim 

Let's slow down and dissect this.  This is only useful for people who do NOT already have a fall booking and can shuffle their schedules to wedge one in.  Essentially all remaining 2024 cruises are past their final payment dates.  It suggests that they have a lot of rooms past final payment that have not been booked and this is a strategy to sell those rooms instead of dropping prices.  Pretty clever of NCL!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, mking8288 said:

We will have to chalk extras like ... airfares for 2 (NCL air with deviation) and ground transfer/shuttle ... and 1 night hotel.  Car service to/from airport from our city blocks has risen to the point where we'll soon be like @Sugar Magnolia - carry-on rollerboards only to city/express bus, off-peak as those buses are full at rush hours to the subway/transfer, LGA is doable as is JFK unless we hitch a free ride from nephew heading to/from his job at the airport.

Haven't look at end of 2024 / deals for this upcoming 4th quarter in/out of NYC with Norwegian, choices are limited.  But, I did see the Sky TA prices dropped for balconies - we cancelled b/c it didn't fit our revised plans & other things going on, and need to renew my passport ... 

Deals can be found with some of us having flexibility to just pack n go, not so much for others, i.e. teachers & parents w teens/children, etc. etc. 

Hey, those travel costs sound familiar... to us.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, mking8288 said:

My best understanding thus far ... CC'ers over at the Cunard board reassuring that dark suit will pass & get checked off as compliant with the recommended dress code after-6 when it's not business/resort-causal in the upscale & MDR.  They do have "pub" food similar to The Local / O'Sheehan's along with Lido / buffet, and, free & complimentary room services 24/7 at absolutely no charge, even regular expresso & cappuccino are available, free & on request.  

This brave NCL'er "pioneering" first cruise on the QE is going to quite an adventure for sure.  DW has room in her carry-on / checked luggage to pack an extra set of suit (tux equivalent) ... once upon a time, we take along a dark navy blazer, dress shirt & tie to dine in LeBistro & Cagney's, no longer the "code" and traditions do change with the millennial coming behind "us"  

This brave CCer aldready did Cunard...back in 1986 when they had ships out of US.  Didn't take tux although I had free access to one.  Wore suit for dinner.

No drink plan, had to pay Isaac in cash.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Let's slow down and dissect this.  This is only useful for people who do NOT already have a fall booking and can shuffle their schedules to wedge one in.  Essentially all remaining 2024 cruises are past their final payment dates.  It suggests that they have a lot of rooms past final payment that have not been booked and this is a strategy to sell those rooms instead of dropping prices.  Pretty clever of NCL!

Yep! I look at it as a way for NCL to boost their gross revenue before a quarterly report. Boost that revenue however you are able! That's why the end date on the offer (I sadly don't have) is 12/31 to sail. 

On 8/20/2024 at 7:32 AM, luv2kroooz said:

Interesting question. I think NCL is trying to perhaps redefine itself in a way. Historically, they've been entry level, middle class family target market. They've had amenities that cater to that.  They've left the upper class to sail on their premium lines. 

It's just more of the same hopeful capitalism. Before Dirty Harry was at the helm, Frankie Boy was talking about how the Pr1ma class of ships would be NCL's real launch into grabbing that luxury sailor. Those luxury seeking folx better take a quick look...ever since the Pr1ma class was launched, prices have gone up and service down (despite the frequent cheerleaders protesting much here). I was actually really excited when Frankie Boy proclaimed the luxury experience, thinking more upscale food, better entertainment, and more amenities. Boy, was I mistaken. But, hey I'm not yet so jaded I've stopped booking Norwegian. The future will be telling. I'm here to say NCL will continue to be a typical mainstream cruise line, like Carnival, MSC, and Royal Caribbean.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Many of the remaining cruises (Oct-Dec) are longer ones with TA and repositioning itineraries.  They naturally won't draw the same customer base as the frequent 7 day cruises from Florida ports and NOLA.  AK cruises end in Oct, and NCL may not run them that late next year if the volume isn't there.

Those cruises that run during the holiday weeks are probably already overbooked, so using a discount on them is unlikely, there aren't many cabins available to choose from.  With this being a targeted discount (we didn't get it, but we have a TA already paid for) there will only be a few actually using it.

It actually is a price drop for those who got the discount offer.  It seems unlikely many non-frequent cruisers will suddenly book a TA or repositioning, so why drop listed prices overall?

• Like 1

I was looking at a cruise this August from NYC to the Dominican Republic.  But it was really expensive, and the thought of paying NCL a lot of money to take me somewhere they cancelled "to save the environment" on my last cruise seemed ridiculous.  So I wound up taking a Princess cruise to the ABC islands.  

But it should be noted that the expensive cruise from NYC to the Dominican Republic in August on NCL actually did actually sell out, and as long as that happens we won't see price drops anytime soon.  It's probably for the best I sailed to the ABC islands with Princess, because NCL dropped Bonaire from its ABC cruises:  https://www.cruisehive.com/norwegian-removes-coveted-port-from-multiple-sailings/142393 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Yep! I look at it as a way for NCL to boost their gross revenue before a quarterly report. Boost that revenue however you are able! That's why the end date on the offer (I sadly don't have) is 12/31 to sail. 

There are also several repo cruises this fall that have no solo supplement. Several of the NE-Canada trips have a reduced solo supplement.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kitkat343 said:

I was looking at a cruise this August from NYC to the Dominican Republic.  But it was really expensive, and the thought of paying NCL a lot of money to take me somewhere they cancelled "to save the environment" on my last cruise seemed ridiculous.  So I wound up taking a Princess cruise to the ABC islands.  

But it should be noted that the expensive cruise from NYC to the Dominican Republic in August on NCL actually did actually sell out, and as long as that happens we won't see price drops anytime soon.  It's probably for the best I sailed to the ABC islands with Princess, because NCL dropped Bonaire from its ABC cruises:  https://www.cruisehive.com/norwegian-removes-coveted-port-from-multiple-sailings/142393 

However, the more logical and increased port time at the other stops still makes these TWO cruises a good choice for that time of year, which has shorter daylight hours.   If I were to choose, I would have dropped St Kitts or St Lucia to rearrange the schedules.

We have considered this itinerary for next year or later.

Will NCL use this itinerary for the cruises on either side of these two?  Who knows.

Also, Cruise Hive is not the know it all for cruises.  They published a new (and very different) itinerary for our PC cruise last year that was totally wrong.

• Like 1