First time on the Cunard Line…… differences…..

geeeep

I’ve been on 18 cruises…Holland America, Celebrity, Princess, Royal Caribbean.  I’ve decided to take a solo cruise on Queen Mary 2.  I never considered Cunard until I started looking for solo cruising and, surprisingly, Cunard has solo accommodations. Are there any major differences between Cunard and the previous cruise lines that I sailed on?  

21 minutes ago, geeeep said:

I’ve been on 18 cruises…Holland America, Celebrity, Princess, Royal Caribbean.  I’ve decided to take a solo cruise on Queen Mary 2.  I never considered Cunard until I started looking for solo cruising and, surprisingly, Cunard has solo accommodations. Are there any major differences between Cunard and the previous cruise lines that I sailed on?  

A more traditonal formal atmosphere. Way better enrichment lectures. Very attentive to solo passengers. Buffet is open 24 hours  rather than in short spurts. Night life ends around 3 am rathe than 10:30 pm on Holland America. NO rolelrcoasters, bumper cars etc as on Royal Carib.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, geeeep said:

Be warned…

Single staterooms sell out within days of opening… Higher level WC members have days earlier opportunity on bookings.  Single occupancy of double staterooms use to have a 75% additional above.

One major difference will be Cunarders.

Which cruise are you looking at? 

Cunard is great for solos. They do solo get-togethers, usually morning coffee IIRC. I'm not sure what the comment above about Cunarders is supposed to mean, but I've found that passengers on a Cunard ship are well-traveled interesting people who are willing to engage with others.  Ask for a large table at dinner, and you will get to know people. I'm just off QE, and every evening, I looked forward to dinner. I never knew where the conversations would go, but I knew we'd be sharing stories and laughing together. 

Single staterooms are few and do sell quickly. I don't know how the prices compare exactly, but a single cabin does cost more than half of a comparable double, so don't despair if they aren't available for the cruise you're looking at. In Britannia, the single supplement for a double stateroom is usually 75%, unlike HAL's 100%. Go up to Club or the Grills and the supplement is 100%.

Of the lines you listed, I've only sailed HAL. I used to think of them as "Cunard Lite." Now I'd say "Cunard Very Lite." Compared to HAL, Cunard has much more to do during the day than sales pitches from the jewelry store or spa (although it does have those, too). There will be lectures by a variety of speakers. Sometimes they're related to your destination, but not necessarily. The evening entertainment is much better than what I had on Zaandam this past winter. 

Unlike HAL, where the "gala nights" don't mean much, Cunard still has what we used to call formal nights. You don't have to have a ball gown, or even a long dress. A cocktail dress will do. There are venues where you can avoid dressing up, but do dress up and enjoy the ambiance. You will see more tuxes than suits on the men, and women dress accordingly. it's a special atmosphere. I sail HAL for their itineraries. I sail Cunard for the experience.

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Which cruise are you looking at? 

Cunard is great for solos. They do solo get-togethers, usually morning coffee IIRC. I'm not sure what the comment above about Cunarders is supposed to mean, but I've found that passengers on a Cunard ship are well-traveled interesting people who are willing to engage with others.  Ask for a large table at dinner, and you will get to know people. I'm just off QE, and every evening, I looked forward to dinner. I never knew where the conversations would go, but I knew we'd be sharing stories and laughing together. 

Single staterooms are few and do sell quickly. I don't know how the prices compare exactly, but a single cabin does cost more than half of a comparable double, so don't despair if they aren't available for the cruise you're looking at. In Britannia, the single supplement for a double stateroom is usually 75%, unlike HAL's 100%. Go up to Club or the Grills and the supplement is 100%.

Of the lines you listed, I've only sailed HAL. I used to think of them as "Cunard Lite." Now I'd say "Cunard Very Lite." Compared to HAL, Cunard has much more to do during the day than sales pitches from the jewelry store or spa (although it does have those, too). There will be lectures by a variety of speakers. Sometimes they're related to your destination, but not necessarily. The evening entertainment is much better than what I had on Zaandam this past winter. 

Unlike HAL, where the "gala nights" don't mean much, Cunard still has what we used to call formal nights. You don't have to have a ball gown, or even a long dress. A cocktail dress will do. There are venues where you can avoid dressing up, but do dress up and enjoy the ambiance. You will see more tuxes than suits on the men, and women dress accordingly. it's a special atmosphere. I sail HAL for their itineraries. I sail Cunard for the experience.

Well put….Especially the last two sentences.

• Like 1

The solo accommodations are good (and strangely the best bathrooms on the ship in the case of QM2) but dynamic pricing has interesting effects. So the two sets of solo Oceanview cabins (deck 2 and deck 3) often go quickly, particularly deck 3 on Crossings. Which means that they can actually be more expensive than Sheltered Balconies - which are essentially for 2 passengers - when occupied as a solo passenger. The approximately 75% figure is set against a stateroom class which is quite numerous, and thus prices are can quite low, whereas there are only 15 solo Oceanviews, and just 6 on deck 3. The 2 person Oceanviews, when used by 1 person, are also often cheaper than the solo staterooms too, which is really odd but is explained once again by the bigger cohort of double staterooms.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

A more traditonal formal atmosphere. Way better enrichment lectures. Very attentive to solo passengers. Buffet is open 24 hours  rather than in short spurts. Night life ends around 3 am rathe than 10:30 pm on Holland America. NO rolelrcoasters, bumper cars etc as on Royal Carib.

I have never seen the buffet open 24 hours whenever I have been onboard any of  the 3 Queens last time as recently as May. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I sail HAL for their itineraries. I sail Cunard for the experience.

Yes, and the times I am tempted to "try something different" is being, well, thoroughly bored with Cunard's itineraries.  I look at what Fred. Olsen offers and just sigh at how comparatively innovative and interesting they are. Ditto Oceania and yes HAL but once a favourite of mine, they are so "lite" as to be transparent now and no thanks. 

We just booked QUEEN VICTORIA on her 21-day cruise back "home" from the Med in late September because we scored a last min Q3 guarantee but except for Palermo, the ports are same old. We last called at Palermo on the grand old QE2, sigh. But we like our QUEEN VICTORIA too much to care for where she goes. But the crew, if no one else, must be dead sick of her port of call tedium. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Be warned…

Single staterooms sell out within days of opening… Higher level WC members have days earlier opportunity on bookings.  Single occupancy of double staterooms use to have a 75% additional above.

One major difference will be Cunarders.

How high do you have to be to get to book days earlier? I am diamond, and have never been given the chance to book (rather than register) more than a day or half a day early.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

How high do you have to be to get to book days earlier? I am diamond, and have never been given the chance to book (rather than register) more than a day or half a day early.

Diamond is the highest level of WC…. Have always had a “registration” (with stateroom number) being confirmed as a booking.  When posting, thought this was available to all D’s.  From one’s post, it appears now not to be the case.   My thanks for the correction.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Diamond is the highest level of WC…. Have always had a “registration” (with stateroom number) being confirmed as a booking.  When posting, thought this was available to all D’s.  From one’s post, it appears now not to be the case.   My thanks for the correction.

As I said, I have been able to register a few days in advance, but not actually book, where my cabin choice is confirmed, until, usually, the day or morning before, general booking.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

As I said, I have been able to register a few days in advance, but not actually book, where my cabin choice is confirmed, until, usually, the day or morning before, general booking.

Understand now.  
When making an advanced registration, with stateroom number.  Then receiving a telephone call to activate a 24 hour hold, or immediate CC details.  This exercise was always considered as being an advanced booking.  

Will stand corrected.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

Yes, and the times I am tempted to "try something different" is being, well, thoroughly bored with Cunard's itineraries.  I look at what Fred. Olsen offers and just sigh at how comparatively innovative and interesting they are. Ditto Oceania and yes HAL 

Just received a survey from cunard with two choices of Mediterranean cruises on them and which was I likely to choose tbh neither appealed as mentioned same old only two new ports to us one was Zadar and the other Alghero(sp?) Really no imagination in the itineraries dept. 🤔🤔

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, 2BACRUISER said:

Really no imagination in the itineraries dept.

Whilst I don't disagree that itineraries (of virtually all cruise lines) are repetitive I think that it is unfair to say lack imagination. I suspect that arranging a ship's itinerary is far more complex than looking at a map and saying let's go here, here and there.

There is the physical capability as to whether the ship can get from port A to port B in a reasonable time-frame and if it can is there a berth available that will be able to handle that ship. Then there is the question as to whether Cunard has a port agent at that port and whether provisioning and excursions can be arranged. And one other thing that will be considered is what the cost of using a particular port is going to be.

With everything that has to be arranged that is why cruise lines only have one or two new ports in their itineraries each year and bearing in mind that such planning is done three, four or more years out.

Edited by david63
  • Like 4

I, too, received a survey as @2BACRUISER has mentioned. Not sure if they were the same ports but I took a screenshot of one. Also not sure why I didn’t think to take a screenshot of the other itinerary, but I do recall that one of the ports was Valletta.

The emphasis was on fly-cruise itineraries, as well as picking out the words or items within the image which you found positive and negative. There were quite a number of questions, as well.

Although they say this is a 14-day cruise, it looks to me like it’s two 7-day cruises.

IMG_2430.thumb.png.d99c694a9f20e57080b8936347cbe8b1.png

• Like 2

5 hours ago, exlondoner said:

In the US, WC (not sure which levels) get one day before the cruises open to all for booking. It isn't a reservation, it's a true booking. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, david63 said:

Whilst I don't disagree that itineraries (of virtually all cruise lines) are repetitive I think that it is unfair to say lack imagination. I suspect that arranging a ship's itinerary is far more complex than looking at a map and saying let's go here, here and there.

There is the physical capability as to whether the ship can get from port A to port B in a reasonable time-frame and if it can is there a berth available that will be able to handle that ship. Then there is the question as to whether Cunard has a port agent at that port and whether provisioning and excursions can be arranged. And one other thing that will be considered is what the cost of using a particular port is going to be.

With everything that has to be arranged that is why cruise lines only have one or two new ports in their itineraries each year and bearing in mind that such planning is done three, four or more years out.

I agree with all of this, but some variation would be nice. I think QM2's Thanksgiving and Christmas cruises in the Caribbean have been the same since DH and I did the Christmas cruise in 2016. Even QE's Eastern Caribbean itineraries for 2026 use the same ports. 

I usually take a HAL cruise to the Caribbean for a winter break. There's a lot of repetition there, too. But if you hunt around, you can find something different. Last year, Zaandam had a 2-week cruise that included all 3 of the ABCs. This winter, I'll be on Eurodam because of calls to St. Martin, which I haven't been to in quite a while, and Guadeloupe, which I haven't seen on their itineraries since I was there on Koningsdam 5 or 6 years ago. 

So there are ports that other CCL lines visit that Cunard doesn't. I would think that would give Cunard some contacts to work with. But then, there's also the problem of getting a berth when other lines have long-standing relationships and take up most of the space.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Well.. no.  The issue is not the work and details entailed in planning itineraries. Personally, I think that would be an wonderful job (and say so after 42 in the travel business and doing just that for a time)... it's the fact that Fred. Olsen manage to come up with different "event" cruises and different ports as do other lines. And not Cunard.  Why is it more challenging for one line and not another?  

Sadly, some once semi regular ports which we loved... Cannes, Villefranche and yes, even good 'ol Gib (I always stocked up on cheap hankies there) have vanished. I think the French Riviera has said we cruise passengers are undesirable riff-raff so that may explain it, although we were better dressed than any of the locals last calls and had lunch at the Martinez in Cannes. Still not good enough!  Cunard seem to avoid Oporto and the French Biscay ports.  Naples is a rare treat for some reason as is Palermo.  What about Casablanca?  Toulon?   

Edited by WantedOnVoyage
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

Well.. no.  The issue is not the work and details entailed in planning itineraries. Personally, I think that would be an wonderful job (and say so after 42 in the travel business and doing just that for a time)... it's the fact that Fred. Olsen manage to come up with different "event" cruises and different ports as do other lines. And not Cunard.  Why is it more challenging for one line and not another?  

Sadly, some once semi regular ports which we loved... Cannes, Villefranche and yes, even good 'ol Gib (I always stocked up on cheap hankies there) have vanished. I think the French Riviera has said we cruise passengers are undesirable riff-raff so that may explain it, although we were better dressed than any of the locals last calls and had lunch at the Martinez in Cannes. Still not good enough!  Cunard seem to avoid Oporto and the French Biscay ports.  Naples is a rare treat for some reason as is Palermo.  What about Casablanca?  Toulon?   

Well, I went to Villefranche in 2022, and we are going to Gib next year. I can think of reasons for avoiding the Italian ports you mention. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

Most of those ports/regions were floated in the survey. You can see some of them listed in the image posted above. Sounds to me like they’re planning new itineraries.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

What about Casablanca?  Toulon?   

Our most recent but one cruise stopped in Toulon, which was the entire reason we chose it…a one-hour drive from Marseille for our son and his family to come spend the day with us. It would be nice if more ships stopped in Marseille!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

"Owing to customer demand, we are now charging for a room service burger..."

Works everytime.  Heaven spare us from those "demanding customers", no?

Is this from Cunard?!

• Like 1