Back to Carnival - What will we notice?

4 minutes ago, n6uqqq said:

The Spirit still has them every day for now

It makes sense now! I thought it was weird that we had them every night on our recent Spirit cruise.

4 hours ago, staceyglow said:

Given that a Viking cruise can be 4 to 5 times the price of a Carnival cruise with a similar itinerary, I would hope that it would have better service.  🙂

Yes, although not all. We did have a Caribbean one booked that was a decent price. Again, being the cheapest cruise shows what it's lacking. We did our last Carnival one 18 months ago, and who knows, we might again, but it's just not enjoyable anymore with all the cuts. Our next one is a Royal Caribbean one, so we'll see how they do. We're on that one with a large group though, so it's different too. And our 11 day Viking one would have been about twice as much as our 8 day RCI one.

8 hours ago, mfs2k said:

We're sailing on Carnival Legend in September in the Med.for a 10 night cruise (balcony cabin) to celebrate our 25 year anniversary. 

Congratulations on your anniversary!  The Med is fantastic and I have no doubt you'll love this cruise.  Enjoy!

• Like 1

I’ve only cruised the Caribbean, so am not sure if it’s different in the Mediterranean. They no longer offer the opportunity to fill out a room service breakfast order card to hang on your door the night before. But I understand you may place the order by telephone the night before. Continental breakfast is free from something like 6-10 am; other times there is a small charge for room service, a la carte menu.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Theosprey247 said:

One I haven’t seem mentioned are the new pizzas.  My wife enjoyed the Korean BBQ (it was also the delivery person’s favorite). 

Just a note so the OP knows, not free. $$$

• Like 1

10 hours ago, carol louise said:

Continental breakfast is free from something like 6-10 am; other times there is a small charge for room service, a la carte menu.

Unless it's changed in the last six months, Carnival doesn't have a room service charge. Everything has a price tag attached, except for the continental breakfast.

19 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

NO tablecloths in the MDR (but Virgin does t have them either).  

This is something I didn't know about VV. I know they have a bunch of dining outlets and a food court, but didn't know they had what they thought of as a MDR. And no tablecloths anywhere, eh? Useless info that I'll file away somewhere.

19 hours ago, mfs2k said:

From your recent experiences, what are the most noticable differences we will note after being away from Carnival for 11 years and experiencing other cruise lines in the interim? 

One recent change that I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet is the safety briefing procedure. There's no mass.briefing at a set time anymore. Just go to your muster station prior to sailaway, watch a member of the crew put on a lifejacket, and listen to the instructions. Oh, and listen to the 16 times the CD will nag others to get down and do it. 🙂

I spent over 3 years away from Carnival around the pandemic (long story) and found surprisingly little had changed. Your gap is longer, but I think if you liked Carnival back then, you'll like them now. Enjoy your upcoming cruise. 😎

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Honolulu Blue said:

One recent change that I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet is the safety briefing procedure. There's no mass.briefing at a set time anymore. Just go to your muster station prior to sailaway, watch a member of the crew put on a lifejacket, and listen to the instructions.

This was the procedure on our Celebrity and VV cruises so I guess we’re used to this already. 

as for tablecloths I don’t think I even noticed on VV. If it’s a nice table, it doesn’t need a cloth. If it’s vinyl covered plywood a tablecloth would be nice. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

This was the procedure on our Celebrity and VV cruises so I guess we’re used to this already. 

On Celebrity, I know the safety briefing procedure is a little different than what's on Carnival. On Celebrity, you need to watch the video on the app (preferred) or on the cabin TV in order to be fully checked in. That's not required on Carnival, though they do recommend it. Also, on Celebrity, you may or may not get a lifejacket demo, as the primary point is to get you to figure out where your muster station is and how to get there.

And thank you for the additional details on Virgin's dining tables.

Irvin does not have an MDR.  Just several restaurants.  And the Galley, which is sort of like a food court.  After I realized there were not tablecloths in Razzle Dazzle and The Wake, I made it a point to peek into the others to see, and none to be seen.  EM

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

On Celebrity, I know the safety briefing procedure is a little different than what's on Carnival. On Celebrity, you need to watch the video on the app (preferred) or on the cabin TV in order to be fully checked in. That's not required on Carnival, though they do recommend it. Also, on Celebrity, you may or may not get a lifejacket demo, as the primary point is to get you to figure out where your muster station is and how to get there.

And thank you for the additional details on Virgin's dining tables.

I've done royal and even gotten checked in without viewing the little 2 movies on the app. Sometimes when you view the morning from your hotel room it doesnt show as completed and they know their IT glitches and if you say you saw it, will just check you in. .. though yes says mandatory. Sometimes not. Celebrity and royal same same. 

Still have to show up to your muster station.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2024 at 10:30 AM, Drazil65 said:

A few changed items that seem to get a lot of attention in addition to the no more tablecloths in MDR would be;

*once a day cabin service

*no more 24 hr pizza (closed for brief time during middle of night)

*bacon not available every day in buffet

*YTD requires you to book your table in the HUB app for the restaurant you want when it opens

*dress code in MDR nonexistent/ not enforced (especially during elegant night)

*appears to be less staff in MDR so service varies from slow to very slow

*MDR menu now on phone in HUB app

*when ordering in MDR you will need to give all course choices including dessert

*all Pepsi products in lieu of Coke

Of all these the one that has the greatest negative impact for me is the change from Coke to Pepsi, I used to buy Bottomless Bubbles but no longer do - love my Coke Zero. And rum and Pepsi tastes awful!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Unless it's changed in the last six months, Carnival doesn't have a room service charge. Everything has a price tag attached, except for the continental breakfast. 

Sorry—by “charge” I was referring to the fact that other than the free continental breakfast there’s an a la carte menu with charges—not a charge on top of the food costs just for using room service. This was in April-May.

Edited by carol louise
  • Like 1

The TV (at least on the Pride) has just one news channel, CBS.

No CNN, BBC, MSNBC, FOX.

Also, some movies on the TV, but no way to know what is coming up.

I agree that the recent changes cheapen the experience. Carnival is no longer the low price cruise that it once was. MSC has taken that role.

Interesting that other Carnival corporate cruise lines (Princess, HollandAmerica) have not eliminated many of the services that Carnival has.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Jimbo59 said:

The TV (at least on the Pride) has just one news channel, CBS.

No CNN, BBC, MSNBC, FOX.

Also, some movies on the TV, but no way to know what is coming up.

This invites a question:

Can I stream video from my iphone to the cabin televisions? (using an HDMI cable and universal remote or perhaps via a chromecast type service on the TV)

Edited by mfs2k

4 hours ago, mfs2k said:

This invites a question:

Can I stream video from my iphone to the cabin televisions? (using an HDMI cable and universal remote or perhaps via a chromecast type service on the TV)

Don’t know. The TV is a small flat screen TV.

18 hours ago, mfs2k said:

This invites a question:

Carnival says "no, please don't".  Presumably because if you used a universal remote to change the input settings and forgot to change it back, the next cabin residents will complain "the TV isn't working!", and the cabin steward (or someone else) will have to go grab a remote of their own and switch it back.

There is also the possibility that external devices could damage the TV if they are poorly manufactured or damaged - there are plenty of things you can buy from eBay that aren't UL certified and most people wouldn't know/care, until something goes wrong.  Or the user could damage the port by being clumsy when trying to plug in.

I've never seen any indication the TVs in the cabins are "cast-able".  And configuring that (and then unconfiguring it) would also be a potential headache for the crew that they don't need.

I'm not saying Carnival's policy is the best solution, but I understand why it is the way it is.

Posted (edited)
On 7/29/2024 at 2:12 PM, mfs2k said:

Is a cabin steward or room service server available by phone if we want ice in the afternoon? 

Yes, but also, I've never had to do this if I asked on the first day. People lose their minds because they need to have workers in their room more often because that's the way it has always been. I've never had an issue getting anything I need. If anything is important to you, ask for it on the first day. 

Edited by Joebucks
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Carnival says "no, please don't".  Presumably because if you used a universal remote to change the input settings and forgot to change it back, the next cabin residents will complain "the TV isn't working!", and the cabin steward (or someone else) will have to go grab a remote of their own and switch it back.

There is also the possibility that external devices could damage the TV if they are poorly manufactured or damaged - there are plenty of things you can buy from eBay that aren't UL certified and most people wouldn't know/care, until something goes wrong.  Or the user could damage the port by being clumsy when trying to plug in.

I've never seen any indication the TVs in the cabins are "cast-able".  And configuring that (and then unconfiguring it) would also be a potential headache for the crew that they don't need.

I'm not saying Carnival's policy is the best solution, but I understand why it is the way it is.

The TV's are castable.

How do I know? One of the guys in the other couple we usually cruise with ALWAYS brings a video game console and connects to the TV to play video games.

If you can plug in the HDMI cable from your game console and change inputs - you can plus in a Chromecast/Roku/etc. and change the input.

2 hours ago, aborgman said:

The TV's are castable.

How do I know? One of the guys in the other couple we usually cruise with ALWAYS brings a video game console and connects to the TV to play video games.

If you can plug in the HDMI cable from your game console and change inputs - you can plus in a Chromecast/Roku/etc. and change the input.

Well, the TV isn't cast-able, the device you are plugging in gives that functionality.  The question was stated as:

"perhaps via a chromecast type service on the TV"

The TV doesn't play games either, the playstation plays the games.

But I get your point - the functionality is attainable using the HDMI port, via either a cable or casting-receiver device.

29 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Well, the TV isn't cast-able, the device you are plugging in gives that functionality.  The question was stated as:

"perhaps via a chromecast type service on the TV"

The TV doesn't play games either, the playstation plays the games.

But I get your point - the functionality is attainable using the HDMI port, via either a cable or casting-receiver device.

Correct - they are castable in that you have access to plug in a casting device (Chromecast, Roku, etc) to the HDMI port, and you can change the input to that port. You'll need your own device to plug in and cast to.

18 hours ago, aborgman said:

Correct - they are castable in that you have access to plug in a casting device (Chromecast, Roku, etc) to the HDMI port, and you can change the input to that port. You'll need your own device to plug in and cast to.

For the last 8 years the hotel I work in has had Chromecast devices connected to the TVs which interfaced to the Sonifi/(formerly OnCommand/Lodgenet) Free-to-guest welcome screens on the TVs.  Instructions are pretty simple and it doesn't impact the next guest nor require IT assistance or a universal remote. 

This technology is easy for the hospitality industry, including cruise ships to adopt, but it's not without a cost.  It's an amenity they would choose to include or exclude. As a guest for 10 days on a ship, it would be nice to have that complimentary amenity option to watch one of the streaming services I subscribe to on a television rather than a phone..

Another option would be to have an HDMI port available on the wall under the tv, so one could connect easily with a ship provided HDMI or one the guest travels with.  There could also be a remote input selector so a universal remote wouldn't be necessary.  (HDMI / TV).  This isn't rocket science.  They take the trouble to provide hot and cold water pipes in the bathrooms.  They could make an effort to provide guest streaming services to televisions.  The days of buying pay-per-view movies on the TVs are long gone. Let it go, Carnival. 

• Like 1

RC tv easily swung out so you could attach your own device. Can't remember if we had to use universal remote or not.

HAL has enough free on demand movies that we never needed to attach our device.

Carnival you must fish the HDMI and it can be a difficult job. You must bring a universal remote. If you do manage to do all that, you may hear about it from your room steward.

They are definitely behind the times.

Welcome back to Carnival.  I cruise both Carnival and another line.  I like them both.  Carnival will always hold my heart due to memories so perhaps I view Carnival with the proverbial "rose colored glasses".   Room Service - I tip a little extra upfront and ask for early morning room service with extra towels.  I am polite, and I always ask about their prior day.  In return, the room steward has always done what he/she can to accomodate my request of towels and ice in the room ( must ask for ice bucket and ice also ).  I tip extra again at the end of the cruise for a job well done.  

MRD - I see this as the same as the other line I sail on which is hit and miss, but so is the dining rooms at many land restaurants.  If something does not taste well or is tough, politely return it and ask for something else.  Order up to two entrees at the time for no extra charge.  I don't usually do this but maybe once in a cruise.  They always seem to have two of my favs on the same night.  I don't see the number of old soup favs as there used to be and a few appetizers are missing that you may remember.  I also feel rushed and am often out in a little over an hour so I now tell them to please slow their roll a little....unless I'm trying to catch a show.  I LOVE the My Time Dining app if you chose MTD.  Works great most of the time.   

Lido Dining - I think this is a little lacking.  OK, maybe this is where I saw the biggest difference in what it was 10 plus years ago.  I don't care for the Taste of Nations as it is def a downgrade. BUT, you now have Guys Burgers and Blue Iguana.  I eat breakfast and often lunch at the Blue Iguana.  Really good.  Guys is good, and DH loves it.  The Pizza is also pretty good.  

Cruising has changed everywhere, but I still enjoy the feel of the sun on my face, the sparkle of the ocean, and I can decide to have a grand time. I think you will enjoy your cruise. 

Drinks - I don't drink much at all, but I think the Carnival drinks just taste better. Taste is subjective though.  

Entertainment - OK, Carnival is a fail here but I wonder if the Med cruise will have a better tier of entertainment????  

• Like 1