Culinary Arts Kitchen Advice

We've not done any of these classes before and would welcome any comments or recommendations. We're both quite experienced cooks and are not sure who the classes are pitched at. The classes on our cruise (on Explorer) are:

- Sweet Salty Sour Bitter Umami

- Farmstand Fabulous

- Wok N'Roll

- Seriously Seafood

- Turn up the Heat

Thanks 

We did two of these on Splendor. We're also experienced cooks, and I'm not sure I learned very much.  But of course I did pick up a few things.  More importantly, we had a huge amount of fun. I recommend that you should go for it.

• Like 1

I attended the ‘Sweet, Salty etc’ class earlier this year (on Explorer). I’m a reasonable cook, but this class opened my eyes to options that were novel and delicious. So much fun…. I’d highly recommend this class. 

17 minutes ago, shuguley said:

How long do the classes usually last and is there anywhere to sit if necessary?

The classes are two hours. The workstations are stand-up and I don’t remember seeing any seating in the room. 

Two hour sessions.  There has never been any seating on Grandeur.  It's my understanding there was some on Exp/Splendor during covid(?) but that seating has been retired.  There is real cooking that goes on but wine is also served with each course, so expect a semi-serious/semi-party atmosphere.  As long as you're not looking for a semester at the CIA on the high seas(as some here are) you'll be fine.  In my experience the worst that can happen is someone in the class knows everything about everything culinary and insists on sharing their vast knowledge vocally and often(serious buzzkill.)  Don't mean to overstate it, most folks are pretty mellow.  And there's wine!  Try to snag an AM session or you'll ruin your dinner appetite.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KenzSailing said:

Two hour sessions.  There has never been any seating on Grandeur.  It's my understanding there was some on Exp/Splendor during covid(?) but that seating has been retired.  There is real cooking that goes on but wine is also served with each course, so expect a semi-serious/semi-party atmosphere.  As long as you're not looking for a semester at the CIA on the high seas(as some here are) you'll be fine.  In my experience the worst that can happen is someone in the class knows everything about everything culinary and insists on sharing their vast knowledge vocally and often(serious buzzkill.)  Don't mean to overstate it, most folks are pretty mellow.  And there's wine!  Try to snag an AM session or you'll ruin your dinner appetite.

What he said! 

I am on Spendor now,  We did a class two days ago called Northern Lights.  There was a row of bar stool chairs along the windows and we did sit briefly at times.  But the classes are "stand up" at your individual station.  The class was fun.  Maybe not for the seasoned chef, but still we found it worth the surcharge.

Have yet to do one on Regent but have taken a few on Oceania and the courses are run by the same people.  Big difference is that wine is drunk (freely I hear!) on Regent and not on Oceania.   I found the courses to be patchy at best.  I am Swiss and used to European food, measures etc.  It is complicated to get a recipe in cups etc.  But I can deal with that.  What I found annoying (to the point where I cancelled two classes I had booked) was that the teacher did not stick to the topic as outlined.  One was all about fish.  Descrption said how to choose it, prepare it for cooking, serve it and sauces to go along.   None of those things happened.   Be prepared to just walk out if this happens in your class...  And to stay and love every minute if the teacher does what s/he is supposed to do!

9 hours ago, Bruce61 said:

I am on Spendor now,  We did a class two days ago called Northern Lights.  There was a row of bar stool chairs along the windows and we did sit briefly at times.  But the classes are "stand up" at your individual station.  The class was fun.  Maybe not for the seasoned chef, but still we found it worth the surcharge.

How was your Northern Lights class?  We are currently signed up for this class on Splendor in September.

We attended the course on the Splendor and it was a Mediterranean menu.  I do most of our cooking and my husband grills.  We both enjoyed the session.  And while I did not learn a lot about food prep/cooking, my husband is lactose intolerant and we learned how to make almond milk.  He loved it and we keep it on hand, so you never know what you'll learn.  I will attend again in August/September on our upcoming Grandeur cruise.  As always, I am looking forward to it.

14 hours ago, shuguley said:

How was your Northern Lights class?  We are currently signed up for this class on Splendor in September.

It was a bit different than we thought.  But enjoyable. They also kept us lubricated, first with a sparkling wine and St. German drink and then Viognier. 

We first made a cake that would be soaked in Goldslager liquor.  The cake dry ingredients were give to us pre-portioned.  Next we were taught proper breading for cutlets.  It was Pork which my wife does not eat and they got her a nice piece of salmon.  We pan fried the cutlets which they had already breaded.  We then made a cream sauce in the pan.  It was good and quite simple.  

We also made a cucumber salad which was served with Smoked Salmon and taught the differences between smoked salmon, lox and Gravlax. 

Class was fun and we did pick up a few tips.  A word of warning. Don’t plan on a specialty restaurant reservation soon after the class.  You won’t be that hungry.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bruce61 said:

A word of warning. Don’t plan on a specialty restaurant reservation soon after the class.  You won’t be that hungry.

Ditto that!  It makes me wish Regent had a casual dinner option where you could just pick up a salad, snack, or dessert if you have any space left to fill.  One time we went to Sette Mari and just picked at the appetizers with (another) glass of wine (and lots of water!) and watched the sea go by.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, flossie009 said:

They do ………. room service

I know it's an option.  We are just not room service people.  We tried it once and the butler fussed so much and brought so much extra food it just felt like a waste.  Plus, we like to get out and around the beautiful ships.  But that is the beauty of choice!

My wife is a gourmet cook (how lucky am I ???!!!), and my cooking skills are pretty much limited to making toast.  We took the wok n' roll course on our last cruise, and both enjoyed it.  She picked up a few expert tips, and I learned a few basics, like how to crack an egg.  We signed up the TASTE THE NORTH ATLANTIC course on our next cruise.

• Like 1

I agree that these classes are not for the even semi-experienced cooks out there. Almost everything is already prepped, and you're just left to put fire to the food and plate the results. If you go in knowing that and that you'll enjoy yourself. I know too much, so I wouldn't enjoy this; I'd rather watch a chef do a good demo of more advanced dishes. I also wouldn't want to waste stomach space and another dining opportunity in one of the beautiful restaurants onboard. But again, that's me. 

27 minutes ago, scamper said:

She breaded a salmon???

Actually they did it for her.  That does sound a bit weird but it was good according to her.  May have been the butter cream sauce which was really good 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GMIAC said:

I agree that these classes are not for the even semi-experienced cooks out there. Almost everything is already prepped, and you're just left to put fire to the food and plate the results. If you go in knowing that and that you'll enjoy yourself. I know too much, so I wouldn't enjoy this; I'd rather watch a chef do a good demo of more advanced dishes. I also wouldn't want to waste stomach space and another dining opportunity in one of the beautiful restaurants onboard. But again, that's me. 

I agree,  I did  one and it as fun,  but no need to do it again.   Would love to see a master class!