P&O carry on luggage

Posted (edited)

Me and my family  am doing a first time cruise for 7 days for 2 adults and one child,  We want to pack more on the light side with smaller size suitcases and backpacks, I would like to know if we can each  carry on are   22inch size suitcases and backpacks?  generally  they are just small size suitcases that can be push  along or carried , 

Edited by Darrel223

• Darrel223 changed the title to P&O carry on luggage

If you want something quick, like swimwear, then pack that in one suitcase and let the porters do the rest. They usually get your luggage to your cabin before you arrive. 

Posted (edited)

You can carry all your luggage if you want, but with porters on hand to take your bags from drop off to your cabin why would you?

Edited by Thejuggler
  • Like 1

Also remember that your cabin may not be available when you board so will have to carry your luggage around with you until your cabin is ready as there is nowhere to leave it.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Thejuggler said:

You can carry all your luggage if you want, but with porters on hand to take your bags from drop off to your cabin why would you?

Our carry on has the wine and soda. We would prefer that it was treated gently.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Darrel223 said:

Me and my family  am doing a first time cruise for 7 days for 2 adults and one child,  We want to pack more on the light side with smaller size suitcases and backpacks, I would like to know if we can each  carry on are   22inch size suitcases and backpacks?  generally  they are just small size suitcases that can be push  along or carried , 

The carry on luggage is screened at the port in the same way as the airports. So if your bags are the right size for the scanner then you will be fine. However, as David says dragging your bags around (lunch etc) is a pain, we’ve tried it and it was no fun. 

On 7/31/2024 at 8:58 PM, Darrel223 said:

Why would you want to?
When you arrive at the terminal, the porters will take your bags and deposit them at your cabin.
Then you are free to explore the ship without dragging bags and belongings behind you, which is a pain.
If you think you might go swimming, just bob your swim stuff in a bag  (no need for towels) and just take on with you what you might need for a couple of hours....which in my case is generally nothing because I go for an explore and then to eat.
By the time Ive done that.....cabin is ready and bags are there waiting for me.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/1/2024 at 9:59 AM, sandancer said:

The carry on luggage is screened at the port in the same way as the airports. So if your bags are the right size for the scanner then you will be fine. However, as David says dragging your bags around (lunch etc) is a pain, we’ve tried it and it was no fun. 

We have just selected a 12.30 arrival time for our next Anthem cruise and they say cabin will be available at 13.00. 30 mins is not much of a pain. Different with P&O, but I would prefer a little inconvenience, that gerring all our clothes soaked in Château Margaux.

Edited by zap99

Hi Darrel and family, the experience of boarding a ship is so pleasant in comparison to anything you may have experienced at an airport with family along. If you are parking at the port you will be directed to park and as soon as you park, the baggage porters will be ready at the rear of the your vehicle to take whichever bags you want them to move for you.  They are fine with suit carriers also we have found. Then as others have said above, you will next see your bags either in, or parked outside your cabin. 

and btw usually you can take as much luggage as you like, no worries about weight or size.

It's like being back in the past where customers were actually looked after. Have a lovely cruise. 

Been reading this with interest. Just returning to cruising after a few years break (pre-covid). I was told then that passengers had to carry their own cases to the "hole in the wall". Is that still the case or will the porters collect them from the car as they previouslly did?

1 hour ago, Ichabod123 said:

Been reading this with interest. Just returning to cruising after a few years break (pre-covid). I was told then that passengers had to carry their own cases to the "hole in the wall". Is that still the case or will the porters collect them from the car as they previouslly did?

Some say the porters will move them others say that you have to take them to the hole in the wall yourself. It may be dependant on the time you arrive as I believe that the porters don't start on arrivals until 12:00 and even that can be dependant on what time the ship arrived - if it was late then they could still be offloading the previous passenger's luggage. It may also be an issue if you arrive at the same time as some of the coaches as they will be dealing with their luggage.

The last twice that I have departed from Southampton I have had to take my own cases to the hole in the wall - but having priority I have arrived around 12:00, if not before.

Not sure if the system is still the same but if you do have to take your own cases then there are different "holes" for different decks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ichabod123 said:

Honestly we have cruised from Southampton with both Cunard and P&O always used CPS and always been told to unload our own car and take suitcases to appropriate "hole in wall" for your designated deck. 

• Like 1

When arriving at Southampton at Easter. We were dropped at the port by the taxi and had to manage our cases ourselves, to the 'hole in the wall'. Not easy when I had my mother in a wheelchair, two cases and hand luggage. I did finally manage to get someone to help me, but not a porter.

There were different 'holes in the wall' for different decks.

When we have gone to CPS with my car and my wife a wheelchair user the CPS agent has always asked if we would like a porter, I say yes please, and they have called one over to help. I think the porter numbers are down but you can get one if required.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, solentsam said:

I think the porter numbers are down

I suspect that is probably more to do with the number of ships in port on the day coupled with the increased size of the ships. It can also be dependant on the day of the week and time of year - many students available on a Saturday in August, not so many on a Monday in March

22 minutes ago, Camberley said:

P&O Carry On Luggage was, I felt, was the worst of the films. It was 99.9% over-stuffed with Captain Camby jokes. But P&O Carry On Sunbeds was much better.

Although in reality I never watched Carry on Sunbeds fully: I just pressed play at dawn, went off out for the day and pressed stop before the evening meal

• Haha 2