Princess Plus when roommate is a kid?

sciteach11

My husband and I will be sharing two adjoining rooms with our young kids, with one kid and one adult officially listed on each room even though we will split the rooms for sleeping. We were thinking about getting the Princess Plus package, but since both people in the room have to get it, would we have to pay full price for the kids too, even though they're way to young to drink, take fitness classes, etc?

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, sciteach11 said:

My husband and I will be sharing two adjoining rooms with our young kids, with one kid and one adult officially listed on each room even though we will split the rooms for sleeping. We were thinking about getting the Princess Plus package, but since both people in the room have to get it, would we have to pay full price for the kids too, even though they're way to young to drink, take fitness classes, etc?

The kids will get a non alcoholic version. Could you perhaps get a mini suite or full suite for all of you ?

Edited by memoak

Just now, sciteach11 said:

Right, but it's not any cheaper for them is it?

No I added a detail about checking on a mini suite or suite that could hold all of you

• Like 1

Just now, memoak said:

No I added a detail about checking on a mini suite or suite that could hold all of you

Thank you, the price difference for the upgrade would be more than the Plus packages, but a good thought! And we really want a separate room from our kids. They're small and one still takes naps. My husband and I don't drink a ton so we can just pay as we go. That's what we've always done, but it's been 6 years and with the gratuity, fitness classes, and room service included we thought it might be worth it this time. But we don't need those things either 🙂 

Posted (edited)

There have been reports on here of families in your same situation who have been able to have a. Agent book the Plus Cruise Package for both adults, even though in separate rooms with a minor.  

It could be worth a try speaking to an agent (or your TA to try).  There's been multiple reports of it being done, even aboard when speaking with Guest Services about getting medallions keyed for both rooms...

Edited by reedprincess
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, reedprincess said:

There have been reports on here of families in your same situation who have been able to have a. Agent book the Plus Cruise Package for both adults, even though in separate rooms with a minor.  

It could be worth a try speaking to an agent (or your TA to try).  There's been multiple reports of it being done, even aboard when speaking with Guest Services about getting medallions keyed for both rooms...

Good to know! Thanks so much.

9 hours ago, sciteach11 said:

I thought Princess will allow the booking on minors in their own cabin as long as they were adjacent to the ‘adults’ cabin? This way, the child’s cabin would not need to purchase any package? Since you are already booked, Princess usually allows the changing of passenger names as long as 1 of the original 2 remain in the cabin.

Does this make sense for your situation? Else will Princess allow only the adults to purchase package even in different cabins as previous post suggested? Of course you will ask Guest Services to allow Medallions access to both cabins.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wallyj said:

I thought Princess will allow the booking on minors in their own cabin as long as they were adjacent to the ‘adults’ cabin? This way, the child’s cabin would not need to purchase any package? Since you are already booked, Princess usually allows the changing of passenger names as long as 1 of the original 2 remain in the cabin.

Does this make sense for your situation? Else will Princess allow only the adults to purchase package even in different cabins as previous post suggested? Of course you will ask Guest Services to allow Medallions access to both cabins.

One kid needs to be 16.

11 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

One kid needs to be 16.

Good to know. My 6 year old isn't ready to be in charge of his little brother. 😂 Yes, we will get medallions access to both rooms and keep the interior adjoining door open, so it really is one big room with the option to let the little guy (and dad!) nap in quiet while big kid and I do legos next door. With this age of our kids we expect to spend a lot of time in our rooms between naps and early bedtimes, so it is nice to have the space of two rooms. I will think more about if the plus package makes sense for us. Really I just want to have wine with dinner and fancy coffee in the mornings. Plus wifi might be nice. We are traveling with some other family, so I will see who all is interested in plus packages and then call to figure out what we can work out. Thanks for all the input!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, phabric said:

Is there any connecting cabins available?

Yes! You can see which cabins on each ship connect (interior door, not through the balcony) by looking at the deck plans on their website and checking the "Connecting cabins" box. Then you can go to any deck and only connecting cabins will be colored in. I found it was easiest to call Princess and book over the phone to find out which connecting cabins were still available for the cruise we wanted.image.thumb.png.d34626a41df4e718af7358d8229c1f83.png

Edited by sciteach11

10 minutes ago, sciteach11 said:

Yes! You can see which cabins on each ship connect (interior door, not through the balcony) by looking at the deck plans on their website and checking the "Connecting cabins" box. Then you can go to any deck and only connecting cabins will be colored in. I found it was easiest to call Princess and book over the phone to find out which connecting cabins were still available for the cruise we wanted.image.thumb.png.d34626a41df4e718af7358d8229c1f83.png

Why I suggested a connecting cabins as it is easier to go through the connecting cabin door than going out the door to the next cabin.

Do you have a connecting cabins?

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, phabric said:

Why I suggested a connecting cabins as it is easier to go through the connecting cabin door than going out the door to the next cabin.

Do you have a connecting cabins?

Oh I misunderstood! I thought you were asking if Princess has connecting cabins, sorry! (This was a recent discovery for me - I haven't cruised since before we had kids!) Yes, we have booked two connecting cabins.

Edited by sciteach11

1 hour ago, phabric said:

Is there any connecting cabins available?

The OP mentions, in the post directly before this, that they'll have their interior connecting door open, to make it like one large two room cabin.  

They have connecting cabins .

I am in the same boat having just booked two interior rooms on the Discovery for 2026. The savings was close to $4,000 from a mini-suite. We did book the Plus for all 4 of us but my husband is really second guessing it. We don't really need/want wi-fi. When you subtract the gratuity it comes out to $44/day and I'm just not sure my 7 and 10 year olds will drink that much each day. It also doesn't appear that they sell Powerade/Gatorade on Princess cruises? If so then we would probably break even on that. On RCL they had a drink cart before we disembarked that we just grabbed a water and a Powerade each morning from.

4 hours ago, sciteach11 said:

Good to know. My 6 year old isn't ready to be in charge of his little brother. 😂 Yes, we will get medallions access to both rooms and keep the interior adjoining door open, so it really is one big room with the option to let the little guy (and dad!) nap in quiet while big kid and I do legos next door. With this age of our kids we expect to spend a lot of time in our rooms between naps and early bedtimes, so it is nice to have the space of two rooms. I will think more about if the plus package makes sense for us. Really I just want to have wine with dinner and fancy coffee in the mornings. Plus wifi might be nice. We are traveling with some other family, so I will see who all is interested in plus packages and then call to figure out what we can work out. Thanks for all the input!

We've always had the two cabins. Going from 4k square feet to a room with one bathroom isn't our idea of a vacation!

Enjoy them when they're little, good idea to bring them up cruising. We enjoy everything about it!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sciteach11 said:

😂 Really I just want to have wine with dinner and fancy coffee in the mornings.

If your drinking is confined to a glass or two with dinner, then rather than the Princess Plus package for four, you may be better off bringing on a bottle of wine per each adult. There is no corkage fee if you open the bottle in your room. Over that, just pay for drinks as you order them.

• Like 2

Just now, SKCruiser007 said:

If your drinking is confined to a glass or two with dinner, then rather than the Princess Plus package for four, you may be better off bringing on a bottle of wine per each adult. There is no corkage fee if you open the bottle in your room. Over that, just pay for drinks as you order them.

I forgot about that! Good point. I usually enjoy my wine at home after the kids go to bed anyway.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2024 at 10:28 AM, sciteach11 said:

With this age of our kids we expect to spend a lot of time in our rooms 

Your 6-year-old may want to spend most of the day in the Kids club. My son did. He had a fabulous time there. 😄 

Posted (edited)
On 8/2/2024 at 2:54 PM, Melcort10 said:

We did book the Plus for all 4 of us but my husband is really second guessing it. We don't really need/want wi-fi. When you subtract the gratuity it comes out to $44/day and I'm just not sure my 7 and 10 year olds will drink that much each day.

it does NOT make sense to me to buy Plus for a 7 and 10 yo. We don't even get it for our 13 yo.

21 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

We've always had the two cabins. Going from 4k square feet to a room with one bathroom isn't our idea of a vacation!

DS still cruises in the same cabin as us, and with Princess running the 3/4 passenger free promotion now, it's a no brainer to save money by booking him in the same cabin. We were just in an interior cabin with him on Enchanted. He is 5'5 and over 100#.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

3 hours ago, MacMadame said:

Your 6-year-old may want to spend most of the day in the Kids club. My son did. He had a fabulous time there. 😄 

That’s what I’m hoping!

• Like 1