Hotel near the Sydney International Airport

Hello all, I hope this is the correct forum to post on for this question.  We have a cruise scheduled that gets back into Sydney on Saturday, January 4, 2025.  We currently have an international flight scheduled to leave at 11:50 a.m. on that Saturday morning.  Our schedule says the ship is to dock at 6 a.m. but I'm guessing we won't be able to get off until 7:30 or 8:00 a.m.  We are planning to take either a taxi or uber to the airport at this time, but I think we can change our flights one time without a fee...  so, I was going to research how much it would cost us to spend the night near the airport and leave on Sunday morning so that we are not stressed.  Thus, I am reaching out to you to find out your suggestions as to where we should stay so that we are near the airport and easy for an uber, airport transfer or taxi.  And, also near public transportation so that on Saturday we can go putz around town.  Your thoughts?

Rydges is right by the airport I.e about 75 metres.

Otherwise you gave many hotels in Mascot that have airport shuttles for a fee. Mascot has a train station but the hotels are mainly around 300m or more from it.

If your Sunday flight is a similar time, perhaps stay in the CBD,or close to the cruise terminal, it makes it easy to drop your bags and to get around town on the Saturday. As you are in a hotel ( no ship delays), getting to the airport on Sunday would be less stressful.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MicCanberra said:

Rydges is right by the airport I.e about 75 metres.

Otherwise you gave many hotels in Mascot that have airport shuttles for a fee.

I second Rydges for easy access to the Airport, but if your flight isn’t till the Sunday and you arrive back from your cruise on the Saturday, why not spend the day/ night in the City and Uber/taxi early on Sunday morning? That way you could do some sightseeing. We do like Rydges at the Airport, but there is nothing to do at an Airport hotel. For our next trip we are staying at Meriton Mascot, apparently only a short distance to the airport by Uber, but mine is a domestic flight.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I agree to stay in town near a train station you will be at the airport by train in no time flat.

It’s a bit of a waste land around the airport ,just a industrial area really.

A train every 7-10 minutes for $22 AU 

IMG_1545.thumb.png.3b2370d5413415c82e369b12c2252fde.png

Edited by Chiliburn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

I agree to stay in town near a train station you will be at the airport by train in no time flat.

It’s a bit of a waste land around the airport ,just a industrial area really.

A train every 7-10 minutes for $22 AU 

IMG_1545.thumb.png.3b2370d5413415c82e369b12c2252fde.png

Instead of paying $44 for two people, I would rather take a taxi at a cost of $50-$55. I don't have to drag my luggage to the train, then at the airport end, to the relevant part of the terminal. A taxi is a door-to-door service.🙂 Considering what the cruise cost, I am happy to pay a little bit more for the transfers.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, resordanis said:

I second Rydges for easy access to the Airport, but if your flight isn’t till the Sunday and you arrive back from your cruise on the Saturday, why not spend the day/ night in the City and Uber/taxi early on Sunday morning? That way you could do some sightseeing. We do like Rydges at the Airport, but there is nothing to do at an Airport hotel. For our next trip we are staying at Meriton Mascot, apparently only a short distance to the airport by Uber, but mine is a domestic flight.

We’ve stayed at the Meriton Serviced Appartments at Mascot and were very happy. It’s a short Uber ride to the airport. 

But I agree with the idea of staying in the CBD. 

I've also stayed at the Ibis Budget near the Domestic Airport. It was fine for the price and convenient as we had an early morning flight but I’m not sure that anyone would stay there more than one night. Cruise ship bathrooms are quite spacious in comparison to theirs!

• Thanks 1

I agree, stay in the city overnight. From the cruise ship port at Circular Quay, you can walk to several hotels, but they are at the high end of the price range. For something easier on the budget, look at hotels that are close to George Street, which has a light rail running along it, starting from Circular Quay. It is easy to walk from the ship to the light rail terminal (flat, less than 5 minutes), and then catch it , using a credit card to pay. It is set up for people with luggage, no steps and a place inside to sit with luggage.  I use booking.com to find hotels, using their map function to see location.

For two people, getting to the airport by taxi/Uber is only slightly more than the train cost, and much more convenient.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gators70 said:

Hello all, I hope this is the correct forum to post on for this question.  We have a cruise scheduled that gets back into Sydney on Saturday, January 4, 2025.  We currently have an international flight scheduled to leave at 11:50 a.m. on that Saturday morning.  Our schedule says the ship is to dock at 6 a.m. but I'm guessing we won't be able to get off until 7:30 or 8:00 a.m.  We are planning to take either a taxi or uber to the airport at this time, but I think we can change our flights one time without a fee...  so, I was going to research how much it would cost us to spend the night near the airport and leave on Sunday morning so that we are not stressed.  Thus, I am reaching out to you to find out your suggestions as to where we should stay so that we are near the airport and easy for an uber, airport transfer or taxi.  And, also near public transportation so that on Saturday we can go putz around town.  Your thoughts?

I like the Holiday Inn Express which is a short taxi ride from the airport. It has nice modern and comfortable rooms with buffet breakfast included. I can have a drink and eat dinner in the big lounge near reception so I often stay there if cruising from Sydney. I enjoy the breakfast which means that I don’t need to join the buffet lunch crush onboard the ship so I can wait until evening to dine in the restaurant. The cost is cheaper than a hotel near Circular Quay and the difference helps to pay for the taxis to and from the hotel. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, queenslander said:

I like the Holiday Inn Express which is a short taxi ride from the airport. It has nice modern and comfortable rooms with buffet breakfast included. I can have a drink and eat dinner in the big lounge near reception so I often stay there if cruising from Sydney. I enjoy the breakfast which means that I don’t need to join the buffet lunch crush onboard the ship so I can wait until evening to dine in the restaurant. The cost is cheaper than a hotel near Circular Quay and the difference helps to pay for the taxis to and from the hotel. 

Maybe I misunderstood your post. 🙂 Apologies if I did. Are you saying that you leave the ship (without having breakfast) then go to the hotel and have breakfast there? With check-in time in hotels usually in the afternoon, do they allow you to have breakfast that day?

By the way, we don't join the buffet crush before leaving the ship, we have breakfast in the dining room. Service is very prompt on disembarkation day.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Maybe I misunderstood your post. 🙂 Apologies if I did. Are you saying that you leave the ship (without having breakfast) then go to the hotel and have breakfast there? With check-in time in hotels usually in the afternoon, do they allow you to have breakfast that day?

By the way, we don't join the buffet crush before leaving the ship, we have breakfast in the dining room. Service is very prompt on disembarkation day.

No - this is the day before boarding the ship and I have breakfast in the hotel before taking a taxi to Circular Quay. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, queenslander said:

No - this is the day before boarding the ship and I have breakfast in the hotel before taking a taxi to Circular Quay. 

I see that you mention avoiding the 'buffet lunch crush onboard the ship so I can wait until evening to dine in the restaurant'. We always board fairly early so we can have lunch in the dining room.

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

I see that you mention avoiding the 'buffet lunch crush onboard the ship so I can wait until evening to dine in the restaurant'. We always board fairly early so we can have lunch in the dining room.

Not all cruiselines offer lunch in the MDR on embarkation day.

6 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

The OP is disembarking the ship and wanting to change their flight until the next day. Not boarding a ship.  Hence staying at a hotel in the CBD area after the ship and heading out to the airport the next morning.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, gators70 said:

My thought for convenience to cheap transport is for Holiday Inn at Mascot (not H.I. Express). 

Presuming you can handle your luggage into lifts, it is easy enough to take a walk from the cruise terminal to Circular Quay station and a train to Mascot, and the hotel is approx 200 metres flat walk from the station. Once your luggage is dropped, it is the same cheap $4.20pp train fare to get you to anywhere on the City Circle to get about town. While the Rydges is walking distance from the airport, there is a gate surcharge at the airport train stations, making your train fare back into the city nearly $22pp each way.

For your flight next day, the airport hotel shuttles from Holiday Inn are cheap & reliable. You can book your tickets with the hotel main desk.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Port Power said:

The OP is disembarking the ship and wanting to change their flight until the next day. Not boarding a ship.  Hence staying at a hotel in the CBD area after the ship and heading out to the airport the next morning.

I fully understand that. I never thought otherwise.🙂 I still think it would be more convenient to stay in the CBD and head to the airport the next morning (as I mentioned above). My other comments were in answer to another person's post.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I fully understand that. I never thought otherwise.🙂 I still think it would be more convenient to stay in the CBD and head to the airport the next morning (as I mentioned above). My other comments were in answer to another person's post.

I also think it would be more convenient to stay in the CBD and head to the airport the next morning. 
I stayed at the Marriott Circular Quay for one night in between two cruises last December and it was very convenient. I booked early and got a good deal. 

• Thanks 1