does princess always allow down boarding when weather related emergencies?

kitkat343

Do you know if my flight gets cancelled tonight before Princess' offices open tomorrow  will I be able to try to fly into the first or second port to join my cruise?  The first port is Bonaire, which seems to have limited flight options.

We were scheduled to fly out Friday (a day early), but the flights tomorrow are all full (someone mentioned on another forum they paid a lot of money to change their flight from Saturday the day of boarding to Friday the day before based on the weather reports and now Saturday is expected to have  better weather, but all Saturday flights are already full and they can't switch back).  The airlines are anticipating delays and cancellations for Friday's flights.

We have 5 people, so we can't get any other flights to Florida.  The cruise is a transpositioning one, so driving would be problematic.  We do have insurance but our kids would be really disappointed if this had to be cancelled completely.  

Posted (edited)

@kitkat343, did you purchase you flights via EZAir on Princess? If so, your travel summary has a 24/7 en route delay number to call that may be able to assist and give you information. Part of the reason passengers purchase thru EZAir is they will try to reroute you or fly you to next port of embarkation is possible. Depends on if that port allows embarkation.

If you purchased your flights independently, then any flight delays/cancellations you have to deal directly with the airline. If you have travel insurance, this is what hopefully will help protect your financial interests. Your coverage is dependent on your particular policy.

My experience a few years ago, I had a Transatlantic cruise from FLL to Southampton. Booked EZAir flight redeye on DL from LAX to FLL via ATL. It was not till I arrived LAX that I saw because of weather(storm) all flights thru ATL were cancelled. I immediately called the enroute delay number and was connected to an agent in Australia. Was told they see United has a flight thru Houston I should try and get rerouted on. 2 minutes Iater was at DL counter and agent said sorry, those seats are gone. DL said nothing they can do and only flights to rebook would get me to FLL after ship has left FLL. When home and was on hold for over 4 hours with DL trying to get rebooked flights. Called EZAir and at first they said they would try to get me to FLL. I explained that will not help as ship will be gone, next port of call is Bermuda, 3 days later.

EZAir said ok, you have choice of flying to Bermuda and waiting for ship requiring 2 nights hotel, or we will fly you to arrive Bermuda day ship to arrive, but if you miss ship, you are in your own. I decided to fly to Bermuda early and wait for ship.

Because I did not have travel insurance, the 2 nights of hotel in Bermuda(quite expensive) is out of my pocket, EZAir only covers transportation/flight to next port. EZAir booked me on Air Canada from LAX to Toronto then to Bermuda at their expense.

Hope this helps explain what might happen if your flights are cancelled.

If you did not purchase flights from Princess EZAir, then you will be responsible for flight to first port (Bonaire?) Travel insurance might cover costs, or your Airline may be able to rebook you on other flights to get you to Florida on 8/10 to catch ship?

What ship/sailing are you on? Enchanted FLL to NY, 8/10 sailing?

Edited by wallyj
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, wallyj said:

@kitkat343, did you purchase you flights via EZAir on Princess? If so, your travel summary has a 24/7 en route delay number to call that may be able to assist and give you information. Part of the reason passengers purchase thru EZAir is they will try to reroute you or fly you to next port of embarkation is possible. Depends on if that port allows embarkation.

If you purchased your flights independently, then any flight delays/cancellations you have to deal directly with the airline. If you have travel insurance, this is what hopefully will help protect your financial interests. Your coverage is dependent on your particular policy.

My experience a few years ago, I had a Transatlantic cruise from FLL to Southampton. Booked EZAir flight redeye on DL from LAX to FLL via ATL. It was not till I arrived LAX that I saw because of weather(storm) all flights thru ATL were cancelled. I immediately called the enroute delay number and was connected to an agent in Australia. Was told they see United has a flight thru Houston I should try and get rerouted on. 2 minutes Iater was at DL counter and agent said sorry, those seats are gone. DL said nothing they can do and only flights to rebook would get me to FLL after ship has left FLL. When home and was on hold for over 4 hours with DL trying to get rebooked flights. Called EZAir and at first they said they would try to get me to FLL. I explained that will not help as ship will be gone, next port of call is Bermuda, 3 days later.

EZAir said ok, you have choice of flying to Bermuda and waiting for ship requiring 2 nights hotel, or we will fly you to arrive Bermuda day ship to arrive, but if you miss ship, you are in your own. I decided to fly to Bermuda early and wait for ship.

Because I did not have travel insurance, the 2 nights of hotel in Bermuda(quite expensive) is out of my pocket, EZAir only covers transportation/flight to next port. EZAir booked me on Air Canada from LAX to Toronto then to Bermuda at their expense.

Hope this helps explain what might happen if your flights are cancelled.

If you did not purchase flights from Princess EZAir, then you will be responsible for flight to first port (Bonaire?) Travel insurance might cover costs, or your Airline may be able to rebook you on other flights to get you to Florida on 8/10 to catch ship?

Yes, that's my ship.

We purchased independent flights and independent insurance.  I wrote to the insurance company a few days ago, and they told me they'd compensate me up to 5,000 to meet the ship (5 people so depending on how much the airfare is it could be an issue.  If the airline just lets us switch tickets to the second port (Aruba, no flights to Bonaire)  then we'd be fine with our costs.).  

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, kitkat343 said:

Yes, that's my ship.

We purchased independent flights and independent insurance.  I wrote to the insurance company a few days ago, and they told me they'd compensate me up to 5,000 to meet the ship (5 people so depending on how much the airfare is it could be an issue.  If the airline just lets us switch tickets to the second port (Aruba, no flights to Bonaire)  then we'd be fine with our costs.).  

If you have cancelled and or delayed flights, and you will probably miss embarkation, make sure you contact Princess so they do not think you are a ‘no show’ and will provide you information regarding if you are allowed to join the ship down line and what else you may need to do to join ship.

Are flights out of NY being delayed today, Friday? Does it look like your booked flight will be affected?

Edited by wallyj

JetBlue waived all change/cancellation fees.  There are issues form Debbie and rain and thunderstorms here in ny.  I’m not sure how likely it is I’ll be affected.  

1 hour ago, Jadn13 said:

Have you researched a one way car rental? Pick up at home airport and return to FLL? 

I just checked the JetBlue website and only one flight was cancelled and another has a slight delay and all others from NYC area to FLL are still scheduled ‘on time’, so I think the OP will arrive FLL today and be able to relax and look forward to boarding tomorrow.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kitkat343 said:

Do you know if my flight gets cancelled tonight before Princess' offices open tomorrow  will I be able to try to fly into the first or second port to join my cruise?

Last month a large number of cruisers got their flights canceled for our Caribbean cruise out of FLL on the Enchanted.  It was that worldwide IT meltdown.  A large number (200+ I heard) flew down to San Juan to pick up the cruise at the next port.  Saw them coming aboard along with seeing new luggage in the hallways.

So, yeah, it happens.

I am on the same sailing as you, but scheduled to fly out of Rochester, NY this evening (6:43). I too am very concerned about the weather impacting my flight or causing a cascade effect that affects my flight. I went ahead and booked a refundable backup flight for tomorrow morning. I hate flying in the day of a cruise because so many things can go wrong, but it really is the only alternative if anything happens to my flights tonight. I wish you all the best of luck with your currently booked flight!

Posted (edited)

Our flight is delayed, but hopefully we will get there.

For others in this situation here is the message I got from the Princess chat:  

You can call our En-Route Department to make an arrangement. 1-800-545-0008 .  They are available 24/7
Edited by kitkat343

16 hours ago, wallyj said:

Why didn't you have any insurance.  Most people do buy it.

DON

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

Why didn't you have any insurance.  Most people do buy it.

DON

I was a bit younger and felt I was safe not having it. I have been lucky, I have not had any other travel issues where insurance would have saved my A**.

I would be interested in knowing the percentage of passengers that always or have insurance.

I now have an annual policy with Allianz and additionally, my Medicare Advantage plan DOES provide Medical coverage outside the US.

Edited by wallyj

2 hours ago, wallyj said:

I was a bit younger and felt I was safe not having it. I have been lucky, I have not had any other travel issues where insurance would have saved my A**.

I would be interested in knowing the percentage of passengers that always or have insurance.

I now have an annual policy with Allianz and additionally, my Medicare Advantage plan DOES provide Medical coverage outside the US.

I too carry an Allianz policy which works for me.  Why didn't your Allianz policy cover the trip interruption portion of you costs.  So since you have the Allianz policy plus Medicare Advantage (I did not know that a Medicare Advantage policy covered out-of-country costs) so your statement that you did not have travel insurance was not fully accurate.

I have had 3 instances where my annual policy paid off.  One was where I had to cancel a trip to Japan after the final payment day.  Two were my wife had a serious medical issue in Australia requiring hospitalization and and the same trip I fell in a way that required emergency care and follow care.

I would never travel w/o medical and evacuation and trip interruption coverage.

DON

@donaldsc, I just purchased my Allianz annual policy the beginning of this year, so I did not have travel interruption insurance for the trip with the DL flight cancellations. As I stated, was younger and a little naive and think there are many that do NOT purchase travel insurance to save a little $.

I do not believe ALL Medicare Advantage plans have out of US coverage. I have verified my plan with Kaiser SoCal does cover outside US coverage. Regular Medicare does NOT have coverage if you are outside the US.

We made it!  After fight delays, we arrived in Fort Lauderdale at 1:30 in the morning.  Unfortunately, I booked my hotel room during the internet outage in July, and the hotel told me corporate cancelled four days worth of reservations, and they had no record of ours (I received an email confirmation but they couldn't find any record of the confirmation number, and since we arrived at the hotel at 1:30 am we needed to get the kids to sleep and not argue with them).  The hotel was completely sold out so they put us in the only room available which isn't in circulation due to a strong mold smell (there's a dehumidifier in here that they're working on the room to clean it).  The room only has one king bed, and tiny couch that was too small for my 5 year old to lie flat on.  Thankfully they had one rollaway bed and extra pillows.  I always bring one of those floor pillow sleeping bag things that takes up very little space in your suitcase that you put pillows in to make a sleeping bag for a child so one of my kids has a sleeping bag, one is in a rollaway and the third is on the world's smallest couch.  But it's only one night and I'm grateful we made it here!  Looking forward to a return to Princess after an 11 year absence (travelled to Alaska with Princess on our baby moon, and took our 2 year old to the Panama Canal) both on the Coral Princess.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

We had a few crappy hotel stays with our kids when they were young due to problematic travel snafus.  It's something we all look back on and joke about now (often with some reference to the Bates Motel).   So glad you made it!

I hope you all made your flights for the cruise today to Florida.  I know I sat at LGA today waiting to get back home and the board at the Delta terminal was red with many delays and cancellations.  I was so lucky to only be delayed only an hour but kept checking yesterday to switch flights and so many were sold out. 

I left last Saturday as Debby was approaching my area and was lucky to get out and couldn't believe I had to deal with it again today.

please let us all know 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, wallyj said:

@donaldsc, I just purchased my Allianz annual policy the beginning of this year, so I did not have travel interruption insurance for the trip with the DL flight cancellations. As I stated, was younger and a little naive and think there are many that do NOT purchase travel insurance to save a little $.

I do not believe ALL Medicare Advantage plans have out of US coverage. I have verified my plan with Kaiser SoCal does cover outside US coverage. Regular Medicare does NOT have coverage if you are outside the US.

My medicare advantage UHC thru aarp definitely paid our claim when i passed out on the REGAL during a day at Grand Turk - AON picked up deductibles / co-pays for all my follow-ups after the return.   I was out $28 - cost of medical records

• Like 1

8 hours ago, voljeep said:

My medicare advantage UHC thru aarp definitely paid our claim when i passed out on the REGAL during a day at Grand Turk - AON picked up deductibles / co-pays for all my follow-ups after the return.   I was out $28 - cost of medical records

If you had Princess Vacation Protection with AON, then I'm surprised they didn't pay the $28 cost of medical records. Last October, they reimbursed the $28 for "Copy of Medical Record" for DW as well as the rest of the costs for her onboard medical care.

On 8/9/2024 at 9:16 PM, wallyj said:

Regular Medicare has a tiny amount of coverage according to my insurance broker. And my Medigap Plan G has plenty.

I still have Princess Vacation Protection but only at the standard level. I'm thinking about upgrading to Premium. (Or whatever the top tier is called.)