Evacuation chair problem

Me again.ive booked a cruise for  2025 and had devil of a job getting an evacuation chair booked but my  TA was eventually successful in finding one and booking said chair. Today I have my booking confirmation from P and O No mention of me having an evacuation chair booked. I checked personaliser too. No mention on there either? Am I just to hope for best? Does it it say in writing anywhere that chair is booked or has P and O messed up ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spudd said:

Ask your TA, surely they will know since they booked it.

Thanks for reply. I am waiting for TA to rung back but I was on the phone with him she. He said he'd definitely booked it so why no confirmation? And it's ok for TA and me to know but if P and O have messed up that's no help to me when they refuse boarding 

Currently Evac Chair availability is managed offline. So TAs have to check with P&O and your booking will have been added to the list for your cruise.

Once you’ve done the accessibility questionnaire as part of my.pocruises.com, the accessibility team will add a note to the cruise calendar part of the website.

I recommend doing the accessibility questionnaire asap although if they’ve confirmed one it won’t be a problem.

Just to add, if the accessibility questionnaire is not complete by 14 days before your cruise as advised in the Terms and Conditions, the evac chair is likely to be released and you will be denied boarding.

25 minutes ago, david63 said:

@molecrochip This is not a criticism of the P&O policy but can you explain why the P&O policy is more exacting than other cruise lines, even within the Carnival group or within the UK

It’s not P&O policy, it’s Carnival U.K. policy…. Being P&O, Cunard, and, U.K. homeported Princess ships.

I’ve not yet managed to find the change in legislation that has brought this in.

And certainly don’t understand the apparently heavy implementation by Carnival U.K.

46 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

It’s not P&O policy, it’s Carnival U.K. policy…. Being P&O, Cunard, and, U.K. homeported Princess ships.

I’ve not yet managed to find the change in legislation that has brought this in.

And certainly don’t understand the apparently heavy implementation by Carnival U.K.

We did not require a pre booked evacuation chair for our May Princess cruise from Southampton.

16 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Have not encountered this on Princess ships cruising out of Southampton.

We didn't have this with Princess out of Southampton either.

Other lines seem to take the approach of "do you need an evac chair in an emergency?" P&O are taking the approach of "so you might use a walking stick for walking more than a mile, or be a part-time wheelchair user? You MUST have an evac chair!"

I actually think it's an incredibly abelest and narrow-minded view. It's increasingly problematic that it's not an automatic or instantaneous process, and filled with loopholes for P&O to benefit and passengers to pay the price.

This issue, added on to the new "fines for not attending a booked kids club session" is enough to mean we probably wont be going on another cruise after the one we are already fully-paid up for. Princess are far superior in these regards, and with the added "get one when you want" approach for embarkation and get on in 5 minutes, I can't believe P&O are making such a meal of everything.

On 8/13/2024 at 7:00 PM, Cloudyrain said:

We didn't have this with Princess out of Southampton either.

Other lines seem to take the approach of "do you need an evac chair in an emergency?" P&O are taking the approach of "so you might use a walking stick for walking more than a mile, or be a part-time wheelchair user? You MUST have an evac chair!"

I actually think it's an incredibly abelest and narrow-minded view. It's increasingly problematic that it's not an automatic or instantaneous process, and filled with loopholes for P&O to benefit and passengers to pay the price.

This issue, added on to the new "fines for not attending a booked kids club session" is enough to mean we probably wont be going on another cruise after the one we are already fully-paid up for. Princess are far superior in these regards, and with the added "get one when you want" approach for embarkation and get on in 5 minutes, I can't believe P&O are making such a meal of everything.

It might say “get on when you want” but in practice doesn’t always happen. Certainly not in 5 minutes, in our experience anyway. 

I have previously taken a scooter on Ventura in a suite and Aurora in a mini suite.  I don't need an accessible cabin.  I last cruised Easter 2023 and had an ordinary wheelchair, again on Aurora in a mini suite which was before this new Evacuation chair rule came in.  I made a list of nine cruises that I was interested in for next year, taking a friend who has never cruised before.  I was able to telephone the cruise club I always book with and I gave the agent a list of the nine cruises.  She was then able to tell me which of those cruises still had Evacuation Chairs available, the answer was two out of the nine.  I have  booked and now have to fill in the mobility form.  I've always booked with this cruise agency and it was very reassuring that I could be informed how many Evacuation Chairs were left.  I'm not sure if people who book on line with P&O can know immediately if a chair is available.  One thing I find good with the cruise agent is that if they are busy when you phone they phone back immediately.

• Like 3

On 8/15/2024 at 1:36 PM, molecrochip said:

What “fines for not attending a booked kids club session"?

I can remember reading about this a few months ago. If I recall correctly, if you book your child into The Reef and cancel less than 24 hours before, you get charged £5. If your child is a no show, then you get charged £10. Somebody else may be able to provide more details. 

10 minutes ago, CarlaMarie said:

I can remember reading about this a few months ago. If I recall correctly, if you book your child into The Reef and cancel less than 24 hours before, you get charged £5. If your child is a no show, then you get charged £10. Somebody else may be able to provide more details. 

I thought only for constant re-offending after a warning.