QM2 Planetarium re-opened

Andee

1 hour ago, Gallivant70 said:

Confirmed and worked great. Be sure to book in advance.

How do you book in advance.   Is this done via MyCunard once on the ship?

49 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

How do you book in advance.   Is this done via MyCunard once on the ship?

Booking the planetarium is done using what they call "My Voyage" once you are on board the ship. It's sometimes referred to as an "app", but it's actually an intranet website you access via your device's browser. It's available via free access to the ship's wifi. My Voyage is also used for a variety of other on board services such as viewing your on board account and the online version of the daily programme, making dining reservations, purchasing internet access, etc.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Booking the planetarium is done using what they call "My Voyage" once you are on board the ship. It's sometimes referred to as an "app", but it's actually an intranet website you access via your device's browser. It's available via free access to the ship's wifi. My Voyage is also used for a variety of other on board services such as viewing your on board account and the online version of the daily programme, making dining reservations, purchasing internet access, etc.

Thanks.   Will definitely be booking it.    I haven't been to a planetarium since I was a kid and would go to the Hayden Planetarium in NY

We saw a strange 25-minute-long graphic show with U2 music in the planetarium a few days ago ("The U2 Dome Experience"), we did not know whether this counts as the planetarium working or not. 🙂 You had to book a timeslot for it in MyVoyage. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Ah, that's something for me to look forward to. The reason I don't think that's strange is that it presumably relates to U2's residency in Las Vegas, to which I was able to attend, a terrific night out. It was held in the Sphere, a new venue in Vegas, which looks likes this:

image.jpeg

The show made heavy use of graphics as part of an immersive experience, so I can see a show based on that would work well in the QM2 planetarium.

Edited by Pushpit
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

Ah, that's something for me to look forward to. The reason I don't think that's strange is that it presumably relates to U2's residency in Las Vegas, to which I was able to attend, a terrific night out. It was held in the Sphere, a new venue in Vegas, which looks likes this:

image.jpeg

The show made heavy use of graphics as part of an immersive experience, so I can see a show based on that would work well in the QM2 planetarium.

Yes I was aware of that event and thought also that there would be a connection, but never having seen U2 for a minute made it strange for us. 🙂 We had booked for the first day and the Daily programme did not say a word about what it was. (On the next day there was a short description as well.) 

• Like 1

On board QM2 this week and we have had 3 different Planetarium shows so far. These 2 and one titled "Infinity Express". We saw "Rock the Dome Side B" today and enjoyed it. 

IMG_20240827_132708396.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, RK-NC said:

On board QM2 this week and we have had 3 different Planetarium shows so far. These 2 and one titled "Infinity Express". We saw "Rock the Dome Side B" today and enjoyed it. 

IMG_20240827_132708396.jpg

"Infinity Express" is one of the old standards. Don't know if it has been updated since we first saw it, but it was one of the planetarium shows during our first QM2 crossing in 2005.

What's up with "Weather permitting" in the description of that latest planetarium show? Does anyone know if they cancel planetarium shows during rough weather? I haven't been aware of that happening in the past but maybe I just haven't noticed.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, irvington said:

Are there shows about the stars or planets in the planetarium or just rock shows?

Hi irvington,

How are you?

Unfortunately it sounds like it is not like the traditional shows once shown that were from NASA.

Sounds like a Light & Sound Show. Disappointed from what was once.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

"Infinity Express" is one of the old standards. Don't know if it has been updated since we first saw it, but it was one of the planetarium shows during our first QM2 crossing in 2005.

What's up with "Weather permitting" in the description of that latest planetarium show? Does anyone know if they cancel planetarium shows during rough weather? I haven't been aware of that happening in the past but maybe I just haven't noticed.

I think i remember that the dome could not be lowered and raised during strong motion of the ship

1 hour ago, irvington said:

Are there shows about the stars or planets in the planetarium or just rock shows?

We believe "Infinity Express" was about stars and planets. Daily Programme for tomorrow lists "Spark: The Universe in Us" There is no description but that sounds like a stars and planets type show. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, RK-NC said:

We believe "Infinity Express" was about stars and planets. Daily Programme for tomorrow lists "Spark: The Universe in Us" There is no description but that sounds like a stars and planets type show. 

Spark: The Universe in Us is about our deep connection not just to Earth, but to stars millions of light years away—and billions of years in the past. Start your journey by soaring over a stunning Sierra Nevada waterfall, and then blast off across space and time to discover the celestial origins of the elements we all have in common. Along the way, you’ll enter the core of a giant star just before it implodes, experience the quiet demise of a star like the Sun, and see how colliding stars seed the Universe with the building blocks of life.

California Academy of Sciences

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Could it be that the posture of reclining and looking at the ceiling might have a tendency to exacerbate seasickness?

Most likely. I think every planetarium/imax show I have ever attended, even on dry land, has a warning about feeling ill from the simulated motion (“Just close your eyes…”). I imagine a show during rough seas would precipitate a thorough cleaning of Illuminations afterward. 

I really hope there’s a planetarium show that is science based instead of music or entertainment based when we’re on board. I’m rather particular about my music and I don’t really feel like spending time just looking up at colors and listening to someone else’s playlist.  But learning about the stars, galaxies, universe, etc. is right up my alley!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, napria said:

I really hope there’s a planetarium show that is science based instead of music or entertainment based when we’re on board. I’m rather particular about my music and I don’t really feel like spending time just looking up at colors and listening to someone else’s playlist.  But learning about the stars, galaxies, universe, etc. is right up my alley!

Me too. I thought that was the definition of a planetarium!

• Like 1

On My voyage once you are onboard. You need to keep checking for when they open the booking window. They have a queue at the door in case people don’t turn up but you need to be at the front to stand a good chance of getting in. It’s worse if it’s a cold wet day as folk are more likely to book it.