Flight back to US

frankh1969

1 hour ago, frankh1969 said:

hi, I have a question about return flight to US.

What would be the earliest flight I could book out of London after docking in Southhampton at 7 AM?

Thanks

You can see that in flight quotes, it should default to the earliest time.

Just returned from LHR.  It's a zoo!

I stayed overnight at the Hilton Garden Inn (Terminal 2).  It was a "really" long walk if you are dragging luggage.  We did a test walk and decided to take an expensive taxi to Terminal 3.  If you are fit with just one roller bag, you could probably walk it in 15 minutes.

Airlines are not allowing you to check in until 3 hours before flight.  If all goes well (no traffic) maybe 2 hours to get to the airport.  I would allow at least 2.5 hours to check in and get through their security.  

The Port Terminal is the best I've ever been through (coming and going).  So organized.  The CB was full...and passengers still disembarking at 9 AM.  Luggage pick up was quick and a walk out the door (no customs).  

I didn't take a transfer so don't have any idea how it worked.  We hired a car/driver who was fantastic!

I believe the flight time for the West Coast was no earlier than 2 PM.  

30 minutes ago, mahasamatman said:

Consider flying out of Southampton. They have flights to Amsterdam and Dublin.

The OP was looking for flights to the US. Not as many choices out of Southampton 

1 hour ago, memoak said:

The OP was looking for flights to the US. Not as many choices out of Southampton 

Are there any direct flights?

I've never heard of any.

The earliest flight is after 2 pm if you do a fake booking through EZ air.  LHR was a zoo in terminal 3 for AA flights last Tuesday. you really need to be there 3 hours in advance. I was very surprised that I needed to take a bus to board flight to LAX! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wen_c82 said:

LHR was a zoo in terminal 3 for AA flights last Tuesday. you really need to be there 3 hours in advance.

Could you please estimate how much time was spent for:

Check in / baggage drop; 

Security;

Passport control;

Walking to boarding gate.

What time of day was this ?

Thanks.

This was about 11 am, I already checked in online and used kiosk to print luggage tag and self luggage drop off - approximate 15 minutes. 
Security was about 1+ hour as my backpack was flagged because I had a 3 oz jar of jam!! Security  considered it a liquid which sent me to another line. Passport control was at the boarding gate.

I would suggest that as soon as you know the gate #  start walking. For my flight the gate information showed up about 75 minutes before departure time. There are signs everywhere that state walking time needed  to get to boarding gate

• Thanks 1

Heathrow purposefully doesn't publish gate information on the departure boards until an hour or before departure.  The airport authority wants passengers to spend as much time in the retail area as possible to try and entice passengers to purchase overpriced goods at the airport shops.  It's been like this for decades.  If you check a flight tracking website using your own resources while waiting, sometimes the gate will populate on said sites before the airport departure boards.  Heathrow Terminal 3 is the worst; it's cramped and decrepit.  

5 hours ago, SCX22 said:

Heathrow purposefully doesn't publish gate information on the departure boards until an hour or before departure.  The airport authority wants passengers to spend as much time in the retail area as possible to try and entice passengers to purchase overpriced goods at the airport shops.  It's been like this for decades.  

This reminds me of a couple of stories.  First, I had the pleasure of going through my local airport last week to get to a cruise.  Their departure board listed all the departures for the day - and if it's late enough, they'll list some for the next day.  It's a very small airport. 🙃

And I've noticed throughout my travels that flights tend to leave from the same gate day after day.