Is The Gem Going To Bermuda?

Laszlo

10 minutes ago, AmbitionatBay said:

We just got off the Gem and asked on our way out if they were headed to Bermuda - the answer was yes. 

They always say yes.  They said yes all day when we boarded as TWO hurricanes were bearing down on Bermuda. I laughed all day. Of course we didn't go to Bermuda. We stayed in NYC the first night and went to Florida and Nassau. 200 people got off our ship in anger even when told there would be no refund!

I would bet they are waiting to see timing and impact. They are hoping they can arrive a day late, but that depends on Bermuda opening the port and the island being ready for visitors vs. restoring power and clearing roads. I am watching the ship on Marinetraffic to see if she sails this afternoon and what they set their AIS destination to.

• Like 2

Last February we were only informed that our 5 day Bermuda cruise was not going there when we got to the terminal in NYC.  We would only stop in Nassau from 9pm to 2am.  Most people did not get off so it was a cruise to nowhere.  They did give us $250 OBC and a 10% FCC.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

They always say yes.  They said yes all day when we boarded as TWO hurricanes were bearing down on Bermuda. I laughed all day. Of course we didn't go to Bermuda. We stayed in NYC the first night and went to Florida and Nassau. 200 people got off our ship in anger even when told there would be no refund!

I would bet they are waiting to see timing and impact. They are hoping they can arrive a day late, but that depends on Bermuda opening the port and the island being ready for visitors vs. restoring power and clearing roads. I am watching the ship on Marinetraffic to see if she sails this afternoon and what they set their AIS destination to.

I'm thinking Sunday will be a sea day, I think the Joy will be OK. Really depends on damage etc...

• Like 1

Ernesto will be past and gone from Bermuda toward NE by late tomorrow (Saturday) evening, therefore we’ll be ready to receive Gem. 

I suspect Gem may delay her arrival to Bermuda by 1/2 - 1 day because she won’t be taking a direct route to Bermuda, she needs to circumvent the hurricane. 

Safe voyage all on the Gem. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

I'm thinking Sunday will be a sea day, I think the Joy will be OK. Really depends on damage etc...

Joy came to Bermuda a day earlier and left yesterday a day earlier. 

IMG_9347.thumb.jpeg.3adadb40124ccf4f917bf9274e4d1d5b.jpeg

we had 4 ships here on Tuesday late afternoon… Joy and Carnival Pride came a day early and Gem and Liberty OTS were leaving. Soon after the photo was taken, the two latter ships departed from Dockyard and the other 2 moved in to dock. 

these 2 left yesterday. 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

If Bermuda can open the port, I think it will be Monday at the earliest. Ships will need to stay well clear until Sunday night.  Maybe longer. Remember the narrow channel to the port is along the north side of the island, which will still be battered by waves from the storm departing to the north. And Norwegian ships have a history of running aground in that channel LOL.

Opening the port requires power, roads/bridges out to the port, and not being in emergency recovery mode just one day after the storm. If the storm weakens fast enough could happen - Bermuda weathers Cat 1 storms fairly well. If it remains Cat 2 or 3 too close then I think it's dicey.

Edited by PelicanBill
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Assuming that the GEM can sail toward Bermuda per revised schedule - could that be midday next Monday or afternoon / evening instead - while the island is in full recovery mode for restoring full services - we shall see.  

@JIMESOPUS doing B2B should be able to and plan to give us onboard updates, Starlink WiFi onboard permitting & functioning, on his live CC report.  Bermuda weather forecast for the week ahead isn't great, plenty of showers & rain, etc.  

Here's to wishing those sailing on the Gem a blessed, safe and as pleasant cruise as they can ... 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

@JIMESOPUS doing B2B should be able to and plan to give us onboard updates, Starlink WiFi onboard permitting & functioning, on his live CC report.  Bermuda weather forecast for the week ahead isn't great, plenty of showers & rain, etc.  

Ooops, it's my bad ... boo-boo, sorry.  I stand correcting myself, mixed up as Jim isn't sailing until next Friday when the Gem return, then he'll be doing B2B onboard the GEM.  Let's hope that someone else from CC can give us timely updates "live"  

One of the niece's/family sailing this Sunday from Cape Liberty, NJ but going south for Orlando & Nassau, plus RC's private island on SOS - will hear how things go with them, hopefully.  

38 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Ooops, it's my bad ... boo-boo, sorry.  I stand correcting myself, mixed up as Jim isn't sailing until next Friday when the Gem return, then he'll be doing B2B onboard the GEM.  Let's hope that someone else from CC can give us timely updates "live"  

One of the niece's/family sailing this Sunday from Cape Liberty, NJ but going south for Orlando & Nassau, plus RC's private island on SOS - will hear how things go with them, hopefully.  

When is your grand QE adventure?  Can not wait to hear what you think about the cruise, the Company and of course the ship.

Enjoy

• Like 1

Power outages over 10,000 and climbing a thousand every half hour or so. Port cam is a watery mess but can see power is on there.

It is looking to me like the eye may pass to the east, rather than the west as forecast until now. that is a small bonus.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

power and internet are still on at the dockyard and the camera is operational.

image.png.6244331c91e62cce8abee81c1df27ea0.png

View of the dockyard from across the bay, yesterday

image.thumb.png.74759de35a231758fc7923f4955e46d2.png

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Ernie is now north of Bermuda & heading away, wind direction changing and sea state beginning to ease up gradually.  Gem was heading west yesterday and turned south west, go around ?  slowly toward Dockyard ... swell is up but no huge waves, yet.  Joy left Bermuda early, 125 +/- nm from Gem.

Collage_2024-08-17_09_22_57.jpg

Collage_2024-08-17_09_22_06.jpg

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 3

Hurricane force winds just now leaving Bermuda. Amazed the port cam is still up. The fact that the palm trees are not stripped is encouraging. Damaging hurricanes usually strip leaves from palm trees.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

Hurricane force winds just now leaving Bermuda. Amazed the port cam is still up. The fact that the palm trees are not stripped is encouraging. Damaging hurricanes usually strip leaves from palm trees.

Looks like 75% of the island is without power