viking river cruise air pkg

vhs

On 8/19/2024 at 2:08 PM, Roz said:

That's pretty nonspecific. 😉 What are your concerns?

concerned with flight choice 

times and direct flights

heard they could change flight at last minute

• Like 1

8 hours ago, vhs said:

times and direct flights

There are two ways to purchase your air through Viking.

1) Viking Air

With the first choice - Viking Air - you are paying whatever price Viking have quoted on your invoice, and Viking load an air itinerary in your MyVikingJourney (MVJ) account about 150 days from sailing.  

You can then go into MVJ and you have other flight options that you can yourself move to if you don't like what Viking have chosen.  Some of these may have premium prices on top per person to choose.  

This is kind of like a self serve option to make changes to your flights, and you can also execute an upgrade in cabin class - if available - and you can choose seats.

Flights show up about 150 days and Viking ticket about 75 days out.  You must make all or any changes before ticketing or you will then pay a change fee.

NOTE:  YES, Viking can change your flights here up until the time of ticketing.  On an upcoming Viking Ocean TA cruise, we had great flights to start, we picked our seats and we were happy with the selection.  Then we got notice that the return flights were changed.  Airline changed, departure times changed.  We were originally to arrive home about 2pm, now we arrive home at midnight.

The original flights that we were assigned are available in the mix on MVJ, BUT they now carry a premium of $349.00 pp.

2) Viking Air Plus

With option #2, Viking Air Plus, YOU can call the Viking Air Department as much as 300-310 days before sailing with your flight choices.  You can search your preferred airlines and routes and schedules, and give them to Viking and they will book what you want.

NOW, understand, that if the flights you want do not fall inside Viking's contract rates, there will be a premium that you have to pay per person.

We typically use this option and because we fly out of Canada's main gateway, Viking generally have contracts with the airlines we want, and we have generally always gotten what we wanted inside contract rates.

With this option - Viking Air Plus - I may be wrong here but I don't believe that Viking will change your flights without contacting you first.  This is the value of Viking Air Plus is you get to choose and you are locking in flights and your schedule.  Airlines can however make changes to schedule and equipment that is out of Viking's control.

When we do this we also ask for the flights to be ticketed very soon after.  When you do this you must at least pay for the flight portion of your invoice regardless of when full payment is due.

Once ticketed then you are dealing with airline changes - schedule changes, equipment changes, etc.

These are your two options with Viking Air.

Hope this helps.

Posted (edited)

We have used Air Plus twice, flying to Europe out of Boston, and both times we got the flights we wanted, even nonstops.  There was one departure time that would have required paying extra, but by leaving at a slightly different time, we only paid the $599 air that was part of the deal (plus the Air plus fees, of course).  We asked for a 5PM flight to squeeze in another morning in The Hague, but settled for a 1PM flight so as not to incur extra costs.  No biggie.

When there have been changes to the schedule, IIRC we were notified actually by the airline, not Viking.  In fact, our seat assignments as shown in MVJ were not correct, but the ones we had chosen, as listed on the airline's website, were correct.

Edited by sharkster77

Whether you book through the cruise line or direct with the airline, flights can be changed at the last minute. 

This past January I had a flight from Amsterdam to Nashville booked with British Airways.  When I got to Philadelphia, I found out BA had sold my seat and booked me on a flight the following day. 😬 I had to stay at the airport Marriott overnight on my own dime.  Luggage was delayed another 2 days. 

My husband and I are considering the Viking Cruise Grand European tour for June 2025. Right now there is free international airfare promotion ending 8/31/24. We live in central NJ so preferred airport would be Newark Airport.  We know there are possibilities that Viking will book our flights at either JFK or LGA in New York which would be more expensive and nightmare in traffic to these airports.

I have cruised on NCL a few times and never used the free airfare reading all the nightmare stories.

Since EWR Newark is a major airport in the NY Metropolitan Area has anyone from this area used the free international airfare with Viking and have been happy with the flights. It would be a $1700 free airfare cost if we don’t take it. Also they don’t ticket till very close to the cruise departure so very nervous about that and wonder how many stops and layovers may be involved with their bookings.

We appreciate any suggestions and advice. Should we just pay the extra money and book our own flights?

Thank you.

55 minutes ago, Former Newyorker said:

My husband and I are considering the Viking Cruise Grand European tour for June 2025. Right now there is free international airfare promotion ending 8/31/24. We live in central NJ so preferred airport would be Newark Airport.  We know there are possibilities that Viking will book our flights at either JFK or LGA in New York which would be more expensive and nightmare in traffic to these airports.

I have cruised on NCL a few times and never used the free airfare reading all the nightmare stories.

Since EWR Newark is a major airport in the NY Metropolitan Area has anyone from this area used the free international airfare with Viking and have been happy with the flights. It would be a $1700 free airfare cost if we don’t take it. Also they don’t ticket till very close to the cruise departure so very nervous about that and wonder how many stops and layovers may be involved with their bookings.

We appreciate any suggestions and advice. Should we just pay the extra money and book our own flights?

Thank you.

Greetings neighbor - we live in East Brunswick and have taken 13 Viking cruises (both river and ocean) with 4 more booked. All have been from EWR - never have we been diverted to LGA or JFK. Many of these cruises included free or greatly reduced air. I can’t speak for NCL but we always use Viking Air. Only once we didn’t like the flights, so we paid for Air+ (#150pp) and got much better flights. If you use Air+, you can ticket early but will be responsible if you change the flights.

You can always pay Viking a small fee to get custom choices on the airfare, if the flights they offer you aren't exactly what you want.  EWR is such a major gateway that you should have no problem getting them to offer you suitable flights.

11 hours ago, Former Newyorker said:

Squawkman,

For a June 2025, when do you see what airlines and flights Viking has picked. We usually fly United Airlines. 

Thanks again.

10 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

You can always pay Viking a small fee to get custom choices on the airfare, if the flights they offer you aren't exactly what you want.  EWR is such a major gateway that you should have no problem getting them to offer you suitable flights.

My Viking Journey will tell you that (under Manage My Air). My experience is that it could be a little earlier. We are MileagePlus members and almost always get United without having to pay extra for Air+. If you check the United app now, you might see your flights there under “Trips”. When your flights show up on MVJ, you will have an option to change your flights. Otherwise, as Jazzbeau says, you can contact Air+ now, pay$150pp, and pick your flights. You can also request early ticketing, but be warned you’ll be responsible for a hefty fee if you need to change or cancel.

On our recent cruise to Iceland, we waited until flights were posted on MVJ knowing we weren’t assigned United as it didn’t show up on the United app. When announced, we traded the assigned Icelandic Air for United flights both ways for an additional $74pp.

On 8/22/2024 at 6:25 PM, Former Newyorker said:

Thank you.

Hi there! Just jumping in. My husband and I booked this cruise for June17-July 1 2025. Which date are you looking at?

We will be flying out of Dulles and opted for the Viking air. I was searching for economy flights that included checked bags (knowing they can go up or down) and what I came up with were flights of about $1300 apiece or higher. So I think (hope really) that maybe we made a good choice with Viking. 

However, I don’t know if waiting for a promo code is a better deal over a sale with ‘free’ air. Hope I didn’t jump the gun, although cabins seem to be going fairly quickly. 
Does anyone know what happens if a flight booked with Viking gets delayed or cancelled? Will they help you get to the port/next port stop.

TIA

Rita

Posted (edited)
On 8/26/2024 at 3:15 PM, rg123 said:

Does anyone know what happens if a flight booked with Viking gets delayed or cancelled? Will they help you get to the port/next port stop.

TIA

Rita

Viking Air is very good, but they can only do so much and they cannot monitor every flight in every city and country around the world 24/7.

You will be given an "emergency number" for Viking Air.  We are only to use that while travelling using Viking Air.

If you have a delay, cancellation, or any event that is going to impact you, you should call that number and inform Viking.  Ensure that you have cell phone access, and email access at all times.  Having a data plan or a roaming plan while you are travelling is highly recommended.

If I understand you correctly, you are asking if you suffer a delay or cancellation and you miss embarkation, will Viking assist you to get to the next port?

Yes, and No.

Yes, they will try to, but you also must understand that depending on River vs. Ocean and if the next port or stop is a different country than your original embarkation, then there could be immigration challenges.  You were pre-cleared to board the ship in country A not necessarily country B.

I have heard of situations where the individual was blocked from embarking at the next port therefore missing the cruise altogether.  This would constitute a trip interruption claim.

Viking may well help you to book a flight to the next port and do what they can for immigration clearance to board the ship, BUT Viking is not going to do this at their cost.  Viking is not responsible for the airlines delays or cancellations, even if you book through Viking Air.

You would have to pay for this additional flight and then you would claim this on your trip interruption insurance.  Hopefully you have trip cancellation and interruption insurance and this is an interruption.

This is why you will read again and again, always fly in one day before embarkation.

Edited by CDNPolar

Thank you so much CDNPolar!

I appreciate your informative and concise answer. Normally we fly in a day early when we cruise with Royal, but wasn’t sure what to do in this case. (Royal used to get you to the next port if you missed it-not sure what they actually do now.) 

We will pay the Viking deviation fee and fly in early in order to avoid any problems that could develop.

Once again, thank you for taking your time to post your answer. 
Best,

Rita

13 hours ago, rg123 said:

Thank you so much CDNPolar!

I appreciate your informative and concise answer. Normally we fly in a day early when we cruise with Royal, but wasn’t sure what to do in this case. (Royal used to get you to the next port if you missed it-not sure what they actually do now.) 

We will pay the Viking deviation fee and fly in early in order to avoid any problems that could develop.

Once again, thank you for taking your time to post your answer. 
Best,

Rita

You are welcome Rita.

Interesting, because I just a few days ago had this full discussion with a Viking Air Supervisor asking all these questions myself.

I was kind of shocked when she said that in some countries or some situations that if you miss the embarkation port, that is it for you - you have to miss the entire cruise.  She indicated that this is not common, but also not uncommon.  Everyone just assumes that they can get to the next port, but that is not always the case based on immigration rules and laws country by country.  I was shocked by this one.

Fingers crossed, we generally fly in a day early, but we have one coming up in October that we are arriving the day of embarkation.  We do however have a direct flight from Toronto to Barcelona and it is early morning arrival AND the next port is also Spain.  

Flying in the day before should be best practice, and moving forward it will be for us.  It always has been, I am not sure how this one slipped by arriving the day of.... I think it was because we have been to Barcelona more than once before and did not feel the need to see more....

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

You are welcome Rita.

Interesting, because I just a few days ago had this full discussion with a Viking Air Supervisor asking all these questions myself.

I was kind of shocked when she said that in some countries or some situations that if you miss the embarkation port, that is it for you - you have to miss the entire cruise.  She indicated that this is not common, but also not uncommon.  Everyone just assumes that they can get to the next port, but that is not always the case based on immigration rules and laws country by country.  I was shocked by this one.

Fingers crossed, we generally fly in a day early, but we have one coming up in October that we are arriving the day of embarkation.  We do however have a direct flight from Toronto to Barcelona and it is early morning arrival AND the next port is also Spain.  

Flying in the day before should be best practice, and moving forward it will be for us.  It always has been, I am not sure how this one slipped by arriving the day of.... I think it was because we have been to Barcelona more than once before and did not feel the need to see more....

Like you we always fly in a day early, for all the reasons you outlined.  Also like you, for our tulip cruise last April, we did fly in on embarkation day---we had a direct, overnight flight, and the ship was staying in Amsterdam until the night of day 2.  It was like flying in a day early was built into the itinerary.  OTOH, for our Alaska cruise next June, we will most definitely fly into Vancouver a day early---we will have to use a connecting flight, which adds all kinds of possibilities (delayed/cancelled flights, lost luggage, etc.)

Flying in a day early for any tour or cruise is sound advice.

Edited by sharkster77
  • Thanks 1

On 8/23/2024 at 10:03 AM, Squawkman said:

My Viking Journey will tell you that (under Manage My Air). My experience is that it could be a little earlier. We are MileagePlus members and almost always get United without having to pay extra for Air+. If you check the United app now, you might see your flights there under “Trips”. When your flights show up on MVJ, you will have an option to change your flights. Otherwise, as Jazzbeau says, you can contact Air+ now, pay$150pp, and pick your flights. You can also request early ticketing, but be warned you’ll be responsible for a hefty fee if you need to change or cancel.

On our recent cruise to Iceland, we waited until flights were posted on MVJ knowing we weren’t assigned United as it didn’t show up on the United app. When announced, we traded the assigned Icelandic Air for United flights both ways for an additional $74pp.

I took your advice and downloaded the United Airlines app and saw our flights. Right now have a direct flight on United from EWR (Newark Airport)to Amsterdam. Still nervous about arriving day of cruise (when we pay our flights always fly in a day before).  We knew extending our cruise with a Prague extension that there were no direct flights back to EWR. Right now they have us on a Polish Airline(LOT) flying from Prague to Warsaw, with a 3 hr. 25 layover, then Warsaw to EWR (Newark Airport). We have never heard of LOT Airlines so know nothing of their reliability. Has anyone used this airline. I know it is early as trip isn’t till June, 2025 and flights can change. First question should I call Viking and ask them if we can leave a day earlier. Also, we know we can use Viking + but no matter what airline available we will still have to change planes.

Since this is the first time we are using a free flight benefit we are hoping we won’t regret. Have been on a lot of NCL cruises and always turned down the free flights.

Any suggestions or advice to make us feel better appreciated.

Thanks

Try to work with the jet lag not against it, get plenty of rest before your trip, if you can then try all the old tricks including setting your watch to the time of your destination and treating that from the start of your journey and unless you go the whole hog don’t look at your phone! Some say it’s easier one way than the other I’ve yet to find that. Good luck enjoy your cruise please don’t stress about it and just don’t miss the first port talk just because that would then be to you another stress point.

4 hours ago, Former Newyorker said:

I took your advice and downloaded the United Airlines app and saw our flights. Right now have a direct flight on United from EWR (Newark Airport)to Amsterdam. Still nervous about arriving day of cruise (when we pay our flights always fly in a day before).  We knew extending our cruise with a Prague extension that there were no direct flights back to EWR. Right now they have us on a Polish Airline(LOT) flying from Prague to Warsaw, with a 3 hr. 25 layover, then Warsaw to EWR (Newark Airport). We have never heard of LOT Airlines so know nothing of their reliability. Has anyone used this airline. I know it is early as trip isn’t till June, 2025 and flights can change. First question should I call Viking and ask them if we can leave a day earlier. Also, we know we can use Viking + but no matter what airline available we will still have to change planes.

Since this is the first time we are using a free flight benefit we are hoping we won’t regret. Have been on a lot of NCL cruises and always turned down the free flights.

Thanks

We have flown LOT and were happy with the airline in general.

LOT Polish Airlines is the flag carrier of Poland, established in 1929, making it one of the world's oldest airlines still in operation. They are known for their extensive European network and long-haul flights to North America and Asia. LOT is generally reliable regarding schedule adherence, though this can vary depending on specific routes and circumstances. LOT is a member of the Star Alliance, a major global airline alliance, which includes other prominent airlines like Lufthansa, United Airlines, and Singapore Airlines.

That is your synopsis of LOT.

We are happy to connect to them in Europe because we collect the majority of our airline points with Star Aliance.

If you add Viking Air Plus ($150pp) you can NOW choose your own airline, flights, schedule, etc.  Not everyhing you choose however will be inside the Viking contract and what are available for FREE flights.  

Upgrades to Premium Economy or Business are never included in the Free flights, but you can pay for that upgrade if it is in their contract.

You can choose to fly a day early and still have free flights, BUT, you will pay a deviation charge of $100 per person for this and you lose your free airport transfers unless you are doing a Viking pre-extension package.  You cannot even pay Viking for transfers a day early, as they only run transfers on the day of embarkation or for their pre packages.

We have always used Viking when the flights are free, because that is the deal.  Viking don't offer you a price discount on the cabin if you choose not to do the free flights, where I understand other cruise companies may.  In these deals, Viking are discounting the air, and that does not transfer to a discount on the cabin if you refuse the air.

8 hours ago, Former Newyorker said:

Did you consider adding the pre-cruise extension to Amsterdam? This will get you to Amsterdam 2 days earlier, 2 hotel nights with breakfast, a city tour and all transfers, baggage handling etc. for $749pp. You won’t incur deviation fees, cost and responsibility for your own transfers from the airport, hotel booking, etc. Monetary cost will be more, but you will have no worries as Viking will be there for you if anything should screw up.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2024 at 10:02 PM, vhs said:

times and direct flights

I had the same concerns. It is my first trip with Viking and also flying to Europe. I did look into booking Viking Air, but in the end it was too frustrating and starting to add up ($150pp more for "air" in order to see schedules, $100pp more for deviation if you plan to arrive or leave other than same day of departure which we do, and finally I was told yet another $554pp for choosing the nonstop flight I wanted from Detroit to AMS) so I booked our own flights. I know some people have found great deals, and it probably works better for people who are very flexible. I am not, at least for this first trip.

22 hours ago, Janie1229 said:

I had the same concerns. It is my first trip with Viking and also flying to Europe. I did look into booking Viking Air, but in the end it was too frustrating and starting to add up ($150pp more for "air" in order to see schedules, $100pp more for deviation if you plan to arrive or leave other than same day of departure which we do, and finally I was told yet another $554pp for choosing the nonstop flight I wanted from Detroit to AMS) so I booked our own flights. I know some people have found great deals, and it probably works better for people who are very flexible. I am not, at least for this first trip.

@Janie1229 I know that you had a lot of questions and you found out a lot and then decided to buy the air on your own.

Have you actually cruised yet?  Did I miss if you have?

Air through the cruise line can be a great deal, and it also can come with its own complications.

Air on your own can be a great deal, and it also can come with its own complications.

8 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

@Janie1229 I know that you had a lot of questions and you found out a lot and then decided to buy the air on your own.

Have you actually cruised yet?  Did I miss if you have?

Air through the cruise line can be a great deal, and it also can come with its own complications.

Air on your own can be a great deal, and it also can come with its own complications.

Hi, no my sister and I are going on Viking Christmas Market Amsterdam-Basel this Dec 17-24. It is our first time on Viking. The choice of air through Viking or on your own is very individual and I believe depends largely on your flexibility. I had a specific flight that I wanted on Delta nonstop from Detroit to Amsterdam. After speaking with Viking Air dept several times, and the regular Viking reps who were very unhelpful (yes I know it is not in their wheelhouse, that is for the Viking Air dept but the reps should have better info than they provide) - it was costing a lot more to book through Viking. Now, I could have booked economy for $799 plus $100 (deviation for flying in 2 days prior to cruise) plus $150 (cost of seeing air schedule) plus $554 (extra cost for flight being "outside viking contract with airline') for grand total of $1603 - but that's crazy. I booked premium select on my own for a little more than that. I know some people on Facebook said they were able to get that same Delta flight out of Detroit without paying the extra $554 b/c it is "out of their contract" and I don't know how that happens. If so, Viking is playing very fast and loose with passengers so hopefully there was more to the story. Possibly those passengers had booked an expensive suite and it was an added perk. Anyway, it is done! 

Edited by Janie1229