YVRteacher’s dad is on a cruise! Live from the Jewel Aug 19- Sept 2, 2024

17 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

I thought being an Ambassador would bring something special. 

Just wanted to report on how NCL treated this Ambassador

No hello.

No treats.

No flushing.

2 hours ago, vacation44 said:

While I did not find any humor in what happened (or not happened) during your two weeks on the Jewel, you did make me chuckle with your sense of humor with this post.   

Incredible on how NCL has evolved over the last 25 years treating their most loyal customers / passengers / guests onboard.  Beyond sad, funny and disappointing.  I have a lot of catching up to do with Yvonne's posts.  

• Like 4

On 9/10/2024 at 12:34 AM, YVRteacher said:

The Island Princess is an old ship and I thought she was beautiful. She has old wooden ship charm with a modern touch! I loved her so much I’ll be boarding again in 13 weeks.  

Check her out!

Wait, what?  You're going on the Island over Christmas/New Year's?  My hubby and I will be too!  First Princess cruise.  Would love to meet you!

Edited by Fishwife2016
  • Like 3

@YVRteacher Finally caught up with another great " Live ". Thanks again for taking the time. I could use the words surprised, angry, or shocked at the conditions you were exposed to but sadden seems more appropriate. The Jewel at one time was your happy place, just like the Gem is ours. While we didn't experience those conditions last week, things have truly gone downhill at NCL, while newbies may not know how it was, we sure do.

Based on your recent Princess " Live " we may try them next.

Jim

• Like 8

Hi all!

YVRteacher - I really enjoyed your live froms & all the lovely pictures.

Because of your praise of the Island Princess I booked a cruise on it for me solo next November and to my horror after reading about your experience on the Jewel, I'm scared about the upcoming 17 day Panama Canal trip I'm doing soon. Sure hope I have a better experience than you & your Dad had.

Thanks for your in depth  accounts.

Looking forward to your next Cruise. 

Jo

• Like 1

On 9/11/2024 at 1:05 PM, yakcruiser said:

There is a recent video of a passenger on the Bliss running down the pier in Sitka trying to get on the Princess ship that was departing. Made me think of @YVRteacher.

There was a Silversea ship in port when we were in Ketchikan. Do you know badly I wanted to leap onboard???

• Haha 5

14 minutes ago, theliterateleprechaun said:

Thank you for an honest, thorough and humorous live report. I enjoy seeing the world through your eyes and love your writing as much as I love you and your dad. Cheers to an incredible end to 2024 on your favourite Princess ship. Can't wait to sail with you one day....💜

Me too!!

Remember when we were last out for #sushisunday and we were talking about our different cruising and eating preferences?

At the same time that I said “we will just have to compromise” Steve said “I guess we just won’t see each other!”😂😂🤣

• Haha 3

Life updates:

We have an open case with NCL but haven’t heard about a resolution yet.

Back to school has been wonderful.

I got my Shingles vaccine (Shingrix) and it took me down! I still worked but was in muscle ache agony for 4.5 days.

My house is still under repair, 56 weeks and counting. On Wednesday a carpenter came in to fix the baseboards and trim on the main floor. He went upstairs to the second floor and ripped out the trim there, damaging the trim, the baseboards and two walls in the process. The man who was supposed to fix the blinds didn’t respond to my emails last week because his cat was sick. The man who was supposed to fix the blinds last year dropped the order form “in a mud puddle.” The painter who painted the bathroom and hallways while I was in Alaska did a terrible job. He told me “sorry. I’m 60 years old and can’t see.”

I’m living a nightmare of home flood restoration incompetence.

Dad is doing well. 

Edited by YVRteacher
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Today I got to meet @AmyJA and @ceilidh1 for brunch.  Amy, have an amazing time in Alaska. Say hi to those fabulous bartenders in Maltings and enjoy the French Onion Soup in Le Bistro.  

I keep saying this but if you come to Vancouver don’t miss OEB

IMG_5236.thumb.jpeg.e2a83fff71e75171854dbb2180fa2033.jpeg

IMG_5237.thumb.jpeg.13f0c5f63d33e10c36a5e6d3974b39c5.jpeg

IMG_5238.thumb.jpeg.a91840705c7d0360cd6ca43ece577a3c.jpeg

Tonight is #sushisunday with @theliterateleprechaun and @fstuff1 arrives in Vancouver in a few days.

I am rich in Critic Critic friends!

• Like 23

2 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Life updates:

We have an open case with NCL but haven’t heard about a resolution yet.

Back to school has been wonderful.

I got my Shingles vaccine (Shingrix) and it took me down! I still worked but was in muscle ache agony for 4.5 days.

My house is still under repair, 56 weeks and counting. On Wednesday a carpenter came in to fix the baseboards and trim on the main floor. He went upstairs to the second floor and ripped out the trim there, damaging the trim, the baseboards and two walls in the process. The man who was supposed to fix the blinds didn’t respond to my emails last week because his cat was sick. The man who was supposed to fix the blinds last year dropped the order form “in a mud puddle.” The painter who painted the bathroom and hallways while I was in Alaska did a terrible job. He told me “sorry. I’m 60 years old and can’t see.”

I’m living a nightmare of home flood restoration incompetence.

Dad is doing well. 

Good grief…the painter excuse would be very funny if he was painting someone else’s house! FYI …I had a bruise on my shoulder for 3 weeks from my 2nd shingles shot. We went to get the updated COVID shot before our cruise in a couple weeks and when I told the pharmacist he said oh yes….that Shingles shot is by far the worst.thankfully it’s 2 and done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Today I got to meet @AmyJA and @ceilidh1 for brunch.  Amy, have an amazing time in Alaska. Say hi to those fabulous bartenders in Maltings and enjoy the French Onion Soup in Le Bistro.  

I keep saying this but if you come to Vancouver don’t miss OEB

IMG_5236.thumb.jpeg.e2a83fff71e75171854dbb2180fa2033.jpeg

IMG_5237.thumb.jpeg.13f0c5f63d33e10c36a5e6d3974b39c5.jpeg

IMG_5238.thumb.jpeg.a91840705c7d0360cd6ca43ece577a3c.jpeg

Tonight is #sushisunday with @theliterateleprechaun and @fstuff1 arrives in Vancouver in a few days.

I am rich in Critic Critic friends!

Gah. Typo alert. I’m as bad as the painter: I can’t see my mistakes. I meant Cruise Critic, not Critic Critic.

• Haha 5

On 8/19/2024 at 6:23 PM, YVRteacher said:

Let’s get this Live started off right! Beer for dad, Mai Tai for me.

IMG_2555.thumb.jpeg.8e8e068ef52d8858be10b821a9aa039f.jpeg

My dad and I are on the NCL Jewel for the next two weeks.

IMG_2554.thumb.jpeg.db82e5f256b83dfb1dad18258f0331ac.jpeg

I said goodbye to Emotional Support Ostrich this morning. She was in a bit of a slump; it happens to the best of us!

IMG_2540.thumb.jpeg.e9112cf17b1e22703dde57d8f1e0d6f9.jpeg

I am trying a different brand of bubbles this time! So far I am thrilled with the texture and long-lastingness.

IMG_2544.thumb.jpeg.7912cc2441e2642949f8a01122088095.jpeg

Right now we are sitting on deck 13 in loungers in the Vancouver summer sun which really means clouds.

IMG_2582.thumb.jpeg.0f62c3533482cea82b3b5502bb2cc572.jpeg

IMG_2583.thumb.jpeg.cd341c5337ea64994537ed2ec622e31b.jpeg

I just realized we don’t have drinks and turned to my dad and said “hey, we don’t have drinks!”

He said “You didn’t say you wanted a drink!”

Me: “it was implied!”

A family in matching shirts with personal statements just walked by. Their shirts say things like most likely to be celebrating a birthday, most likely to be caught shopping, most likely to be cold.  

I asked my dad what his shirt would say.

He replied, “most likely to be complaining.”

By any chance can you tell me what a glass of wine costs onboard?

6 hours ago, Yehootu said:

The second one is as bad as the first. Nothing alcohol can't take care of.

I too had a horrific first dose, but surprisingly the second was no issue.  Sorry the second was bad for you, I was so dreading getting the booster.  Either way it's got to be better than getting shingles!

• Like 4