OBC Confused.

Getting a tad confused over my OBC on a forthcoming cruise on Sky Princess. At the outset we had $200 OBC. I then booked several excursions which presumably used this $300 others were taken from my credit card totalling $939.50. This is where it starts to get confusing (either that or it's my age). One of the excursions was removed due to an itinerary change, but for the life of me I cannot recall the amount that would have been taken from our OBC for that excursion. Then due to two ports of call (one of which was the excursion I just mentioned) were substituted for two ports in France. For which they gave us an extra $100. Then due to my accessing the website and somehow, although I don't know how, managed to cancel my excursion but not my wife's on an evening in NYC. I had paid $69,95 which I presume will appear on my OBC or the card I paid it with some time. I then spoke to a Princess rep via a phone call who was just about as useful as a chocolate coffee pot. Tried explaining to him that I had inadvertently cancelled an excursion and could he reinstate it. Answer yes, but at the new price of $99.95. I also asked what my OBC was now. After going through all the prices I had paid I still never received a direct answer. My take is that the $200 OBC originally give were taken when I booked my first excursions, then due to cancellation by Princess of the two ports (one excursion) a fair chunk of that would have been refunded. Then you have the extra $100 added due to port changes plus $93.50 which is 10% of the other excursions paid for as we are Elite tier. Then we have a $69.95 refund and a $99.95 charge for the cancellation and re-booking. So in essence it's an excursion for two refund (Price not known), an extra $100 plus $93,95 for the 10% Elite tier.A $69.95 refund, but then a $99.95 charge. On the Princess website it still shows $300 OBC and states that when we board the ship the extra will show on our App. Here's hoping.

Just now, Cruisemeister2002 said:

Getting a tad confused over my OBC on a forthcoming cruise on Sky Princess. At the outset we had $200 OBC. I then booked several excursions which presumably used this $300 others were taken from my credit card totalling $939.50. This is where it starts to get confusing (either that or it's my age). One of the excursions was removed due to an itinerary change, but for the life of me I cannot recall the amount that would have been taken from our OBC for that excursion. Then due to two ports of call (one of which was the excursion I just mentioned) were substituted for two ports in France. For which they gave us an extra $100. Then due to my accessing the website and somehow, although I don't know how, managed to cancel my excursion but not my wife's on an evening in NYC. I had paid $69,95 which I presume will appear on my OBC or the card I paid it with some time. I then spoke to a Princess rep via a phone call who was just about as useful as a chocolate coffee pot. Tried explaining to him that I had inadvertently cancelled an excursion and could he reinstate it. Answer yes, but at the new price of $99.95. I also asked what my OBC was now. After going through all the prices I had paid I still never received a direct answer. My take is that the $200 OBC originally give were taken when I booked my first excursions, then due to cancellation by Princess of the two ports (one excursion) a fair chunk of that would have been refunded. Then you have the extra $100 added due to port changes plus $93.50 which is 10% of the other excursions paid for as we are Elite tier. Then we have a $69.95 refund and a $99.95 charge for the cancellation and re-booking. So in essence it's an excursion for two refund (Price not known), an extra $100 plus $93,95 for the 10% Elite tier.A $69.95 refund, but then a $99.95 charge. On the Princess website it still shows $300 OBC and states that when we board the ship the extra will show on our App. Here's hoping.

Answering myself. Initial OBC was $300 just to clear any confusion.

I am not even going to attempt doing the math, but I will just share how the OBC/CC works.  It doesn’t matter what excursion you used the OBC for when it comes to cancellation.  Also, the Princess website will never show a reduction in your OBC after you use it.  They have always sent me an email after booking to show the breakdown down of costs.

When you cancel, OBC is always returned first (no matter what excursion is canceled).  If the cancelled excursion(s) exceed the amount of OBC (in your case $300) then you will get credit to your credit card.

• Thanks 1

I had the strangest thing happen when I canceled an excursion (before boarding) that was charge to a credit card.  All but $4 was returned to the credit card.  The $4 was added to my OBC (Entire excursion was paid by credit card).  Who knows why Princess had such creative book keeping, but I did receive the $4 as OBC when I got to the ship.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, t&atravel said:

When you cancel, OBC is always returned first (no matter what excursion is canceled).  If the cancelled excursion(s) exceed the amount of OBC (in your case $300) then you will get credit to your credit card.

This is exactly what happened with us.  Excursion was cancelled, money was refunded to OBC first, then credit card.  We had all of our other excursions booked already, so we didn't want more OBC.  We called Princess and they refunded the OBC amount to our credit card.

It was nonrefundable OBC.

Edited by Abercrombie2019
added to response
  • Thanks 1

So the others have explained how the refunding of canceled cruises goes, I just want to add that you stated:

1 hour ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

.... $93.50 which is 10% of the other excursions paid ....

BUT you do not get the elite 10% credited until you are onboard .... at least that's how it went for me when I booked a ship excursion.  And that discount doesn't apply to disembarkation tours

Here's a suggestion, if you haven't already done this, just to see how much OBC you actually have left at this point in time to prebook excursions. Basically, start the process to book an expensive excursion. Then go to the Cart to start the process to pay for it. If you have any OBC left, it will show up, as it did for us in the below example. I also used my DW just to make sure how much each of us have left.

image.thumb.png.21bbe731d4f972f850589b3b3195a7bc.png

Then once you have determined if you have any OBC left, go back and Remove the applicable excursions from the Cart so you don't inadvertently wind up booking them. Again, this is just a suggestion.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ombud said:

So the others have explained how the refunding of canceled cruises goes, I just want to add that you stated:

BUT you do not get the elite 10% credited until you are onboard .... at least that's how it went for me when I booked a ship excursion.  And that discount doesn't apply to disembarkation tours

Yes I agree. The 10% of excursions booked as Elite tier will indeed be added once onboard. I presume this is done then just in case a passenger didn't turn up for the cruise in which case the original amount would be returned to the card it was paid on. I just added this to the total OBC for the purposes of trying to fathom out how much OBC in total I could expect.