Experienced cruising family new to NCL - please help me decide on a Christmas cruise!

Hi - 

We are a Denver family with 3 boys (19, 15, 8 ) and travelling with us will be my sister and her 3 year old daughter and my mom (age 79). Our family has been on many cruises on Royal (all Oasis class ships, Western/Eastern Caribbean and Western Med) and we have also done a Disney Fantasy week in the Caribbean and a Carnival Dream week when the kids were really little. We love cruising. Go for both the ship and for destinations, boys are very active and we all enjoy restaurant experiences (Teppanyaki a favorite, any sushi, any steak). We do regular balcony cabins with 2 or 3, and my mom will get a solo. 

We are excited to try NCL. We have decided on a Christmas week cruise and narrowed down to 3:

-Getaway 12/22 from New Orleans (Cozumel, Harvest Cay (Xmas day), Roatan, Cozumel, Costa Maya) - cheapest cruise

-Bliss 12/21 from Miami (Costa Maya, Harvest Cay Belize, Roatan (Xmas Day), Cozumel) - about $200 per person more than Getaway

-Encore 12/22 from Miami (Stirrup Cay, St. Thomas (Xmas Day 12-6 only), Tortola BVI (6 a.m. - 2 p.m.), Puerto Plata) - about $125 pp more than Bliss

I have done a lot of research already, I generally understand differences between the 3 ships and the offerings but would really appreciate some real expert input for what my family should choose. I know we probably cannot go wrong but I need to decide! Thank you for reading. 

-Jenn

Not trying to be snippy, but ask a question like this on CC and you will get 100 different answers. Not sure how that helps you decide. You know your family better than we do...what they like, don't like, etc.

Having said that, do you have a preference in sailaway port? Can you get better air fares to one port over another? If it were me who had to decide, I'd pick the Bliss...then the Encore...then the Getaway...in order of preference of the ships. We've been to all of those ports, so the itinerary (to me) is the least important thing.

But I'm not you (obviously). Hope you find the answer you're looking for. I'm sure you'll have a swell time whatever you decide.

Posted (edited)

Thank you. Yes overall New Orleans will be a bit cheaper in airfare and the Getaway is a bit cheaper as well. I don't know about ease of getting from port to airport in NO vs. Miami as a factor. 

I don't expect people to tell me what to do, but comments and details from experienced NCL cruisers who have been on all or 2 of these ships will be helpful to hear, particularly if there is anything they would expect a family like mine might like better or something I should consider that I am not aware of since I have never been on NCL. I'm sure we can have fun on all 3 ships. 

Edited by jenninlaca
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, jenninlaca said:

I don't expect people to tell me what to do, but comments and details from experienced NCL cruisers who have been on all or 2 of these ships will be helpful to hear since I have never been on NCL. 

Understood. I hope you're able to get the info you need to make a decision that works for you.

I won't pretend to know as much as some of the people on these boards.  But I can speak for the ships you're asking about.  I REALLY prefer the Breakaway Plus class over the Breakaway class.  In other words, I personally would rule out the Getaway.  While all three ships have the Waterfront, only the Bliss and Encore have the Observation Lounge.  There are some other features as well. But the observation lounge is a pretty significant feature.

• Like 1

I do not like the layout of Getaway. I missed having a spinnaker lounge (NCL GEM) or the Observation Lounge. Make sure you check out the price of flying if you and your families are flying to the port. With Christmas, flying can be delayed so you would want to be at that port 1-2 days before. Encore has the Onda by Scarpetta restaurant that no other cruise ships have. Check out what types of entertainment are offered. Encore ones seems more appeal to me. Look into what you and your family would want to do at each port.

52 minutes ago, jenninlaca said:

Hi - 

We are a Denver family with 3 boys (19, 15, 8 ) and travelling with us will be my sister and her 3 year old daughter and my mom (age 79). Our family has been on many cruises on Royal (all Oasis class ships, Western/Eastern Caribbean and Western Med) and we have also done a Disney Fantasy week in the Caribbean and a Carnival Dream week when the kids were really little. We love cruising. Go for both the ship and for destinations, boys are very active and we all enjoy restaurant experiences (Teppanyaki a favorite, any sushi, any steak). We do regular balcony cabins with 2 or 3, and my mom will get a solo. 

We are excited to try NCL. We have decided on a Christmas week cruise and narrowed down to 3:

-Getaway 12/22 from New Orleans (Cozumel, Harvest Cay (Xmas day), Roatan, Cozumel, Costa Maya) - cheapest cruise

-Bliss 12/21 from Miami (Costa Maya, Harvest Cay Belize, Roatan (Xmas Day), Cozumel) - about $200 per person more than Getaway

-Encore 12/22 from Miami (Stirrup Cay, St. Thomas (Xmas Day 12-6 only), Tortola BVI (6 a.m. - 2 p.m.), Puerto Plata) - about $125 pp more than Bliss

I have done a lot of research already, I generally understand differences between the 3 ships and the offerings but would really appreciate some real expert input for what my family should choose. I know we probably cannot go wrong but I need to decide! Thank you for reading. 

-Jenn

There are obviously many factors to consider and each of those offer both plusses and minuses.  I prefer New Orleans over Miami as a city to visit, having spent many days in each.  The port in Miami is much larger and busier than the one in New Orleans, and there are hotels within walking distance of the port in New Orleans.  Shuttle service from the airport to the cruise terminal is readily available in Miami, not so much in New Orleans, but taxis are plentiful there.  Your ship will spend hours creeping along the Mississippi river to get to sea from New Orleans.  While that can make for some interesting sailing, it does eat up some of your time on board.  In Miami it's a fairly quick trip to get to the ocean.

Each of these ships have some of the same venues, and each has its own unique restaurants, lounges, etc.  Study the deck plans on the NCL website to see which one suits you the best.  I have sailed on each of them several times.  Overall, the Bliss is my favorite of the three, but the entertainment available on a particular cruise could sway me toward a different ship.  The Getaway and Bliss visit the same ports, though in different sequences and probably with some differences in arrival and departure times.  You may want to research the various ports to see which ones would be more important to you.  The Encore sails to different ports of call, so again check them out to see which ones appeal to you.

Have a great vacation!  Bon voyage.

Remember Xmas week (and also New Year week) cruises are so popular with families, so you need to add in the airfare, hotel etc costs. Therefore you need to find out how much the airfares will be and also the hotel (PLEASE do not fly in on the day of cruise!).

My choice is New Orleans and Getaway - Xmas Day in Harvest Caye is a great deal better than Roatan & St. Thomas. At Harvest Caye you step off ship and walk to the pools and beaches. St. Thomas & Roatan requires you to take an excursion or a cab to go to beaches, so I think Harvest Caye is better. Most shops will be shut on Xmas Day.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Remember Xmas week (and also New Year week) cruises are so popular with families, so you need to add in the airfare, hotel etc costs. Therefore you need to find out how much the airfares will be and also the hotel (PLEASE do not fly in on the day of cruise!).

My choice is New Orleans and Getaway - Xmas Day in Harvest Caye is a great deal better than Roatan & St. Thomas. At Harvest Caye you step off ship and walk to the pools and beaches. St. Thomas & Roatan requires you to take an excursion or a cab to go to beaches, so I think Harvest Caye is better. Most shops will be shut on Xmas Day.

Thanks. We were wondering what to do on Christmas in these ports. With St. Thomas being 12-6 only (and I have been there several times) I think we would likely just stay on the ship if we did the Encore.

Haven't been on the Bliss but I enjoyed the other two. The Encore was great for Alaska with the observation lounge but not sure it would be a selling point for other itineraries. Haven't sailed in December so don't know what the weather conditions might be.

Great Stirrup is a tender port if that makes a difference. Depending on weather sometimes it gets cancelled. Also the drink package works here but not at the other private island.

The Encore had a great game room and kids would prob like the race track.

The Getaway had a fun rope course and an added Chinese restaurant with no upcharge.

Can't go wrong with any of them. I would factor in possible weather issues and inconvenient port times to help me decide. I dislike getting to port super early and excursions starting super early.

1 minute ago, 1025cruise said:

Just one thing to note, your 19 year old will be the lone ranger. Not allowed in the kid's clubs and won't be able to drink.

He will be able to drink beer and wine if both parents go to guest services with him and complete and sign the waiver allowing him to drink. 18-20 years olds. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

He will be able to drink beer and wine if both parents go to guest services with him and complete and sign the waiver allowing him to drink. 18-20 years olds. 

Good to know! He also really enjoys just sitting on the balcony and relaxing, and will spend a lot of time at the gym. 

The only of these ships I have been on is the Bliss, so no help on the ships. The one thing I would consider is which port is Christmas Day. Many of the islands are pretty much closed down on holidays. The stop at a private island would be pretty much normal that day. I would base on which itinerary looks the best for your group. What are you interested in doing? The Bliss and Getaway have pretty much the same stops, the Encore has a totally different set of stops. Do you think your group would enjoy beach stops more or ancient ruins? For me, both itineraries offer some of may favorite ports - but I'm a beach person - Roatan, St. Thomas and Great stirrup cay are all great beach stops. Overall the Encore would have a better line up of beach stops so that would be my choice, but I've cruised to all of these ports many times and wouldn't hesitate on either itinerary.

I think i would go for the NOLA cruise just because Miami is a large port and so is the airport a lot of flights go to the East Coast and if there is any weather it could affect a lot of other flights.

I would fly in the day ahead as long as it did not get too expensive.  If not take an early flight out and have some backup flights already picked out.  Also put some Apple Airtags in your luggage.

Having the tags means your bags will not get lost and will give the kids something to do 🙂

PS I live in Denver 

12 minutes ago, fredflint said:

I think i would go for the NOLA cruise just because Miami is a large port and so is the airport a lot of flights go to the East Coast and if there is any weather it could affect a lot of other flights.

I would fly in the day ahead as long as it did not get too expensive.  If not take an early flight out and have some backup flights already picked out.  Also put some Apple Airtags in your luggage.

Having the tags means your bags will not get lost and will give the kids something to do 🙂

PS I live in Denver 

Yes! One more thing, Miami has many ships, some of them very large, and the airport is a real zoo at peak times.

NOLA has just one or 2 ships …..

5 hours ago, Maleficent's Dad said:

I won't pretend to know as much as some of the people on these boards.  But I can speak for the ships you're asking about.  I REALLY prefer the Breakaway Plus class over the Breakaway class.  In other words, I personally would rule out the Getaway.  While all three ships have the Waterfront, only the Bliss and Encore have the Observation Lounge.  There are some other features as well. But the observation lounge is a pretty significant feature.

Is the Escape more similar to the Getaway or Encore?  Someone just suggested the Escape to me. It goes out of Galveston on 12/20 and the itinerary is same as the Bliss and Getaway and it seems to be the least expensive option:

Costa Maya

Harvest Cay

Roatan (Christmas Eve)

Cozumel (Christmas Day)

• Like 1

I went on the Bliss last year for Christmas as a solo cruiser out of LA. Christmas Day was a sea day so it wasn't an issue about things being closed at port, but I guess that won't be the case for your itinerary. Families seemed to really enjoy Santa and the decor was cute. On Christmas Eve the entertainment staff did a special performance which was fun. The Observation Lounge is also quite nice, but does get pretty packed on sea days. 

Just now, fresh35 said:

I went on the Bliss last year for Christmas as a solo cruiser out of LA. Christmas Day was a sea day so it wasn't an issue about things being closed at port, but I guess that won't be the case for your itinerary. Families seemed to really enjoy Santa and the decor was cute. On Christmas Eve the entertainment staff did a special performance which was fun. The Observation Lounge is also quite nice, but does get pretty packed on sea days. 

Thank you! We may end up staying on board on Christmas Day, I would not mind that.

I have sailed twice on The Getaway over Christmas.  Both times, I have used Christmas Day as a ship day.

Santa Claus will arrive on Christmas morning in the Atrium with gifts for all the kids.  Lots of family groups dress in matching pj's (Grandparents down to the Little Ones).  Lots of fun to watch the excitement from the kids.  

Regardless of the ship you choose or the itinerary, have a wonderful Christmas holiday.

If your kids like animals, Roatan would be the highlight of that cruise.  They have monkeys and sloths to play with.  I've used Victor Bodden twice, and have read of Daniel Johnson being frequently recommended by people on another travel forum.  Contact them and see if the animal places are open on Xmas before booking the Getaway.  Roatan also has excellent snorkling/diving, canopy walk/ zip lines at south shores adventures.  

11 hours ago, jenninlaca said:

Is the Escape more similar to the Getaway or Encore?  Someone just suggested the Escape to me. It goes out of Galveston on 12/20 and the itinerary is same as the Bliss and Getaway and it seems to be the least expensive option:

Costa Maya

Harvest Cay

Roatan (Christmas Eve)

Cozumel (Christmas Day)

I’ve not been on the Escape, so maybe someone who has been on these ships can make the comparison.

Of the 3 ships, I have only been on Bliss.  They have a go cart track that is pretty popular ( you can purchase a pass for the entire cruise for unlimited rides..so I have heard), and they also have Laser Tag.  The Observation Lounge used to have light snacks while at sea ( dont know if that has changed).  Leaving from New Orleans is very interesting.  A few Civil War Battle sites.  If you are there a few days earlier, you can rent a car and just drive thru Plantation Alley ( its not a very far trip) and take tours of a few Plantations, and see Oak Alley ( the plantation where Interview with a Vampire was filmed).  Being in Harvest Caye on Xmas will be a perk.  I would think that most other land based businesses would be closed for the Holiday, but a private Island would not.  I think its Costa Maya that has some really good Mayan ruins that you can visit unclose, maybe even take the pathway upto the top for an over the tree top view of the landscape.