Price Increase on Specialty Dining

1 hour ago, budfred09 said:

We have made reservations for a upcoming cruise at the old price will they honor that price are can i expect them to charge the new price when I get on board. thanks 

I would expect them to honour the price you paid.  I am in the same situation for a cruise in September where I have a reservation in Sabatinis's and paid the old price of $35pp.

19 hours ago, Kay S said:

My personal solution is to avoid all the SDs and book Reserve dining (might even save me money at this rate.🙂)

Really doubt that you would save money with Reserve dining. 

19 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

The same percentage tip was already baked in with the previous pricing scheme.  PCL has whacked us with two recent price increases.  First, upped the price with grat still included, and then kept the new price sans grat and adding it on top.  I suppose it lets them advertise a lower entry price, but not the final price you pay.  So, it becomes misleading to the uninformed until seeing the small print on the menu.  SD locales like CG now almost double the pre-pandemic rate.  Inflation hurts.

What about the other Cruise Lines? They are much more expensive on their Drink Pkgs, Specialty Dining, Tips, etc.

Yes, Princess is catching up to them, but other Cruise Lines are above Princess costs. 

I just saw a photo of RCI on FB pushing their Deluxe beverage package on the Anthem OTS and it was: sit down - this is really only for their Drinks, nothing else.

Ready?????? $130 per day, so for a 7 day cruise = $910.

Princess Premier is $90 per day and that includes much much much more!

Princess 7 Day = $630 vs RCI $930. RCI is $300 more!!!!

I am not a Cheerleader for Princess. I just post the facts and see them on those lines yearly. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Probably what Princess wants to hear - more funds spent with guests booking Reserve Collection cabins. Same idea with sanctuary suites. 

Even prior to this change those reserve mini suites have always sold out well before sailing

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 555 said:

Glad to free things us for you....That would be us at the head of the line waiting to get in. 😁

When I see you at the head of the line that is my cue to go back to the cabin to think about showering and changing for pre dinner drinks. LOL

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Really doubt that you would save money with Reserve dining. 

I don’t think anyone would book reserve to save money you usually book them for  location and dining without waits or reservations 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, memoak said:

I don’t think anyone would book reserve to save money you usually book them for  location and dining without waits or reservations 

It's hard to make a joke around here sometimes. 🙂 You are right that booking Reserve cabins is done for lots of reasons besides money.   I like the location of the mini suites, for instance.  

6 hours ago, Oxo said:

What about the other Cruise Lines? They are much more expensive on their Drink Pkgs, Specialty Dining, Tips, etc.

Yes, Princess is catching up to them, but other Cruise Lines are above Princess costs. 

I just saw a photo of RCI on FB pushing their Deluxe beverage package on the Anthem OTS and it was: sit down - this is really only for their Drinks, nothing else.

Ready?????? $130 per day, so for a 7 day cruise = $910.

Princess Premier is $90 per day and that includes much much much more!

Princess 7 Day = $630 vs RCI $930. RCI is $300 more!!!!

I am not a Cheerleader for Princess. I just post the facts and see them on those lines yearly. 

I agree that other lines are charging more, but I am not in a position to comment on relative value.  I was simply documenting what PCL did with SD pricing.

As for AI packages, I recognize that they comprise a different value proposition for each guest.  For me, the value is not there.

25 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I agree that other lines are charging more, but I am not in a position to comment on relative value.  I was simply documenting what PCL did with SD pricing.

As for AI packages, I recognize that they comprise a different value proposition for each guest.  For me, the value is not there.

I do not think the OP was disagreeing with you. 

I will post my opinion & my experience as I cruise other Cruise lines. 

As for AI pkgs, we each have a choice & I agree with you. Again, I just got off of Celebrity.

Celebrity pkgs use to include tips, no longer. Celebrity pkgs only include drinks & Wi-Fi.

Celebrity pkgs price is much more per day than Princess Priemer.

My postings try to provide experience & info to help others. Some people have never cruised other lines or compared prices.

I could also compare RCI, NCL & MSC to Princess prices. Princess is still a great value! 

Edited by asctony
  • Like 1

On 8/25/2024 at 6:29 PM, reedprincess said:

$5 or so, if reports of how much of your fare goes to included food are accurate.

Most reports from recent years say, on average, $13-16 or so of the fare goes to food, per day. So, maybe $5 for that MDR meal - if that?   Granted, times that by 3000 and it's a huge food budget for all the included venues, but you're definitely not getting top shelf quality for that $$$.  The specialty dining is a step up in quality, with the added pricing...

Remember that $ amount pppd also already includes ALL passengers(Including the speciality) and crew food.

On 8/26/2024 at 6:42 PM, asctony said:

I do not think the OP was disagreeing with you. 

I will post my opinion & my experience as I cruise other Cruise lines. 

As for AI pkgs, we each have a choice & I agree with you. Again, I just got off of Celebrity.

Celebrity pkgs use to include tips, no longer. Celebrity pkgs only include drinks & Wi-Fi.

My postings try to provide experience & info to help others. Some people have never cruised other lines or compared prices.

I could also compare RCI, NCL & MSC to Princess prices. Princess is still a great value! 

We find NCL package good value for us in the UK(inc grats) £35-£40 against plus at £50.

Even better when NCL is 50% which happens more than on Princess.

UK MSC is Grats included, the premium drinks(similar to premier drinks) tends to be £30pppd sometimes cheaper. 

Both have  competitive cruise fares

NCL seems to have more late deals and good solo offers.

Edited by insidecabin

On 8/26/2024 at 6:42 PM, asctony said:

Yep, and it really shocks me that they sell so many of  them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/24/2024 at 9:41 AM, asctony said:

All other Cruise Lines are much more expensive!

Anywhere from $60 to over $100 per person.

Princess has the best price.

Even on their Plus & Premium pkgs.

Not true. We just sailed on P&O to Norway last May. Prices were much better.

1 hour ago, roomba920 said:

Not true. We just sailed on P&O to Norway last May. Prices were much better.

Ok, have you checked:

Celebrity 

MSC

NCL

RCI?

I have never cruised P&I.

What were the prices on P&O?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Aussie here

We don't have a package this time but still wanted to treat ourselves for our 40th wedding anniversary. 

We got a huge shock at the price increases of the steakhouse on an upcoming cruise New Zealand to Sydney in October 2024 $90 US dollars a person equating to approx $140.00 Australian. We quickly cancelled our reservation for 4. 

We have cruised with Princess many times but this shocked us all. I even wrote to them and they confirmed the prices. We will need to start looking at other cruise lines for their options moving forward. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lorinda Lombo said:

Aussie here

We don't have a package this time but still wanted to treat ourselves for our 40th wedding anniversary. 

We got a huge shock at the price increases of the steakhouse on an upcoming cruise New Zealand to Sydney in October 2024 $90 US dollars a person equating to approx $140.00 Australian. We quickly cancelled our reservation for 4. 

We have cruised with Princess many times but this shocked us all. I even wrote to them and they confirmed the prices. We will need to start looking at other cruise lines for their options moving forward. 

Mine is $45 US pp.

5 hours ago, Lorinda Lombo said:

Aussie here

Are you sure that isn’t $90 US for both of you?  It shows $45 US PP.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lorinda Lombo said:

Aussie here

We order our steaks in the MDR once a cruise. It's $19USD I think. Same steak, cheaper price and leaves the option for one of us to choose something else if we desire.

• Like 1