Live From Crystal Serenity - The Adventure Continues - LA to NYC

ryndam

A special treat….last evening in the Avenue..when pianist John Barker cleverly braided two guests’ request into an alternating offerings of 42nd Street and ALWeber music… 

creative, artistic and thoroughly enjoyed! Thank you, John.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, PaulaJK said:

A special treat….last evening in the Avenue..when pianist John Barker cleverly braided two guests’ request into an alternating offerings of 42nd Street and ALWeber music… 

creative, artistic and thoroughly enjoyed! Thank you, John.

The Avenue was a much more pleasant setting for casual conversation and listening pleasure in lieu of the loud and over-amplified white party in the Cove. Glad that we have choices onboard. Both venues were well attended, based on your personal interests.

Rob

• Like 4

We are slowly cruising along at a leisurely 11 knots on a flat sea. Today was the very popular Asian buffet lunch in Marketplace. A limited selection is also offered in Waterside for those that prefer a more traditional meal service. Two portions of the Thai chicken/shrimp/lemongrass soup. 😋😋

And not a beet in sight.

Rob

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

As long as Rob doesn't mind the hijacking to continue a little longer, it's corriander if it's the seed and cilantro if it's the leaves, so, do people with issues dislike something seasoned with the ground seed as much as things with the leaves?

Patty 

My mother was one of those “soap” people and hated (what we call) cilantro with a passion, but she had no problem cooking with the seeds (coriander).  She knew full well they were from the same plant, but she swore the seeds didn’t have the same unpleasant flavor.  🤷🏻‍♂️ So I think there is probably something to that…

6 hours ago, Roland4 said:

My parents, when we were kids, came from the "you eat it hot or eat it cold, but you eat it" school, so I choked down more cold beets than I care to think about. The result, to this day, is once the smell hits my nose, my throat closes up. I have tried several times over the years, but the result stays the same! 🙂

My mother was raised with her mother having that rule, and swore she wouldn’t do that to her kids…. So our house rule was you didn’t have to eat it if you didn’t like it, but they’re not cooking anything else (because there’s something else here you can make a meal out of).  She knew she “hated” a lot of delicious ingredients (like beets) just because she was force-fed bad preparations too many times, and she didn’t want her kids to be raised with those long-term biases, or even punishing them if there really was something we structurally hated about a primary ingredient.

Vince

• Like 2

I proclaim the demise of the beet review. 
Caviar, escargot, filet mignon, crab legs on the menu tonite.

May the beat (not the beet) live on!!

Rob

IMG_1063.jpeg

• Haha 8

47 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

My mother was one of those “soap” people and hated (what we call) cilantro with a passion, but she had no problem cooking with the seeds (coriander).  She knew full well they were from the same plant, but she swore the seeds didn’t have the same unpleasant flavor.  🤷🏻‍♂️ So I think there is probably something to that…

My mother was raised with her mother having that rule, and swore she wouldn’t do that to her kids…. So our house rule was you didn’t have to eat it if you didn’t like it, but they’re not cooking anything else (because there’s something else here you can make a meal out of).  She knew she “hated” a lot of delicious ingredients (like beets) just because she was force-fed bad preparations too many times, and she didn’t want her kids to be raised with those long-term biases, or even punishing them if there really was something we structurally hated about a primary ingredient.

Vince

My Mom (born in ‘33) hated canned peas from her childhood, so thankfully they were never on the table when I was a kid. We had frozen, and I despised that version. Funny how tastes change as you age, as I now love them. Along with beets AND cilantro. 

I bought cilantro just yesterday, and we had it in homemade fried rice last night. We commented on how much it added to the dish…

And now back to Rob’s mouth-watering beetless Waterside dinner. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, BWIVince said:

.  She knew she “hated” a lot of delicious ingredients (like beets) just because she was force-fed bad preparations too many times, and she didn’t want her kids to be raised with those long-term biases, or even punishing them if there really was something we structurally hated about a primary ingredient.

Vince

Ah well, you see you have opened the can of cranberries on a well trod subject, especially with US Thanksgiving being not that far off(I'm being generous.)  Cranberries:  do you cook  your own or plop that gelatinous monstrosity straight from the can?

And yes, I am beeting a dead horse.  Apologies 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, ryndam said:

Reflections and menus attached. 

Bordeaux Vintage Room lunch tomorrow. Stay tuned…

Rob

Looking forward to your Bordeaux Vintage Room luncheon report.  We're hoping there will be at least one nice Vintage Room event during our sailing next month.

And thanks again for posting the Reflections and menus.  What a nice way to get excited for our turn on board.

• Like 1

It sounds like you're having a wonderful time.  Is the ship sailing at full capacity?  We sailed a different cruise line from San Diego to Fort Lauderdale about 6 years ago and had a wonderful time.  I recently finished "The path between the seas" by David McCullough.  I wish I could have experienced your sailing with the knowledge gained from his fantastic book.  Maybe next time.  Enjoy the calm seas and thank you for the live cruise review.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, pathdoc said:

It sounds like you're having a wonderful time.  Is the ship sailing at full capacity? 

Thank you. Depending on who you talk with, there are 475-490+/- pax onboard.

Rob

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ryndam said:

Reflections attached. Note: the bars are closed tomorrow till we leave Grand Cayman. And the pool is closed tomorrow for maintenance. Sux. 😢

Rob

1C6179B8-FE5C-41EB-8E96-9EAEBA30C8C8.pdf 743.41 kB · 0 downloads

Thankfully you were scheduled to depart at 5 PM.  Any later and pandemonium could have ensued onboard. 😁

Agree about the pool.

• Like 2

I love cilantro and beets but I prefer beets the British way, pickled in vinegar.

I also love shrimp but somehow most of the time shrimp doesn't work for me in the canapes. Give me some good hot shrimp any day. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ryndam said:

So, I wondered about this when I heard Chris Carter announce this morning on "Breakfast with the Beatles" that "National Weiner Schnitzel Day" as among the holidays one could observe today.  (https://nationaltoday.com/national-wiener-schnitzel-day/)

And, look, there is it on the Waterside menu for tonight!

But so sorry the sake pairing lunch was cancelled--that sounded wonderful.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, loriva said:

So, I wondered about this when I heard Chris Carter announce this morning on "Breakfast with the Beatles" that "National Weiner Schnitzel Day" as among the holidays one could observe today.  (https://nationaltoday.com/national-wiener-schnitzel-day/)

And, look, there is it on the Waterside menu for tonight!

But so sorry the sake pairing lunch was cancelled--that sounded wonderful.

Yes plus the Austrian wines too.

• Like 2