Aurora - A Bear, Sweep and Others Go Baltic!

Megabear2

29 minutes ago, SausPud said:

P&O know how special they are to the passengers

But does Carnival Corp know as they are the ones who will ultimately make the decision as to when they leave service?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, SausPud said:

Aurora and Arcadia aren't being phased out anytime soon. Their serviceable years are still plenty. They can be around another 20+ years if maintenance and upkeep are kept up to standard. 

Spending the money on them both and having big dry dock refits should give them new serviceability for the future. P&O know how special they are to the passengers and will keep them going.

Even Royal Caribbean is looking into making some new "small" size ships. They plan to do a few Grandeur of the Seas size ships but with the new tech and toys onboard.

There is a huge demand for the 2,000-2,500 pax ships and the mega large ones like Arvia and Iona are massive money makers for the cruise lines, that's why nearly every cruise line has one or plans to have one. They only need 25% of the passengers allowed onboard to break even, the rest is profit. 

Hopefully, this refit will change the lights and overhaul the A/C plus other things needed. But this isn't any help for anyone sailing before April 2025 on Aurora or before Dec 2024 for Arcadia.

It is indeed true that these ships have another 20+ years life, but I very much doubt that this time will all be spent with P&O. I admire your optimism but, based on P&Os form, I strongly suspect that any future refits will very much concentrate on sea worthiness certification requirements (that passengers don’t see), plus the replacement of worn carpets and furnishings. In fact when we were on Aurora earlier this year I recall the captain pretty much saying as much in a Q&A session. 

As you say, the economies of scale strongly favour the bigger ships, but P&O partly overcome this issue by charging premium prices on Aurora and Arcadia. Whilst people will tolerate some of that premium in order to enjoy an adult only environment, I’m not sure how much longer they will get away with it if the ships start feeling neglected. The air con issue on Aurora was problematic 6 months ago and it sounds as though it’s got worse since. 

• Like 9

20 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

It is indeed true that these ships have another 20+ years life, but I very much doubt that this time will all be spent with P&O. I admire your optimism but, based on P&Os form, I strongly suspect that any future refits will very much concentrate on sea worthiness certification requirements (that passengers don’t see), plus the replacement of worn carpets and furnishings. In fact when we were on Aurora earlier this year I recall the captain pretty much saying as much in a Q&A session. 

As you say, the economies of scale strongly favour the bigger ships, but P&O partly overcome this issue by charging premium prices on Aurora and Arcadia. Whilst people will tolerate some of that premium in order to enjoy an adult only environment, I’m not sure how much longer they will get away with it if the ships start feeling neglected. The air con issue on Aurora was problematic 6 months ago and it sounds as though it’s got worse since. 

The A/C is working in the crows nest this time Selbourne we haven’t had any issues with it anywhere yet and the foods a great improvement as well so far no complaints from us but I think like you SausPud is living in cloud cuckoo land if he thinks that Aurora and Arcadia will be in service for more than a couple of years from now 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Mollag said:

The A/C is working in the crows nest this time Selbourne we haven’t had any issues with it anywhere yet and the foods a great improvement as well so far no complaints from us but I think like you SausPud is living in cloud cuckoo land if he thinks that Aurora and Arcadia will be in service for more than a couple of years from now 

I’m pleased to hear it. We were surprised to find that the MDR food was disappointing during our 65 nighter, as we’d had no issues on our 8 previous cruises on Aurora. Although it seems illogical, I’ve come to the conclusion that the Executive Chef makes a big difference.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I’m pleased to hear it. We were surprised to find that the MDR food was disappointing during our 65 nighter, as we’d had no issues on our 8 previous cruises on Aurora. Although it seems illogical, I’ve come to the conclusion that the Executive Chef makes a big difference.

I think you are right about the EC. A friend who was on Aurora in June said the food was repetitive and tasteless, so I presume another EC is in charge now. I am going to have to start choosing cruises based on the who the EC is and find out which ones to avoid!

14 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

@Megabear what condition are the bedding and towels in please? I have heard that they have stains, holes and the sheets are bobbly? Is that your experience?

I was on Aurora earlier this month and the sheets and towels were fine.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, david63 said:

Any news on suitcasegate?

Yes, a very nice replacement delivered this afternoon, actually a better model.than the broken one.  On this occasion well done P&O.

• Like 13

9 hours ago, Mollag said:

Hi MB welcome on board all good so far with us, the glass house is closed because they’re changing the menu and the chef can’t cook it at the moment, and have you seen up the crows nest yet and seen the dam they’ve built around the ladies toilet which has been there since we got on

Hi, Thanks for the details about Glass House.  It would gave been good to gave been told before boarding as it is a big disappointment for us.  Although we love our family dearly we were looking forward to dining alone ela few times especially for our anniversary.  Neither of us eat any gorm of curry, the smell actually makes me feels physically ill, so Sindhu is out and my husband has only eaten in one Beach House on Azura and has no wish to repeat his experience.

We have quite enjoyed the MDR food so it not eating there that's the problem more we just wanted to have a little time away from the others at mealtimes on occasion. Still it is what it is so we will be okay.

Yes, the Crows Nest loo is indeed an interesting one.  Hopefully to be sorted soon.

From our side the sink leak has been mended and the lights are back on too.  I also understand the swimming pool temperature is considerably higher too so we are happy bunnies on that front.

• Like 12

I meant to mention this morning random passport checks were in place.  A full check at a passport control desk  complete inspection and stamping for those selected.  We were lucky and waved through but around 20 in front of us were pulled in to get checked.  This was around 10.00am.

It was mandatory for everyone to carry their passport today.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Selbourne said:

There was nothing wrong with the air conditioning on Aurora in June this year 

26 minutes ago, Palaceman said:

There was nothing wrong with the air conditioning on Aurora in June this year 

Interesting. Did you have a forward cabin or use the forward lifts to cabin decks regularly? It was those areas that had the worst issues early in the year and, according to latest reports, it seems to be those same areas now.

1 minute ago, Selbourne said:

Interesting. Did you have a forward cabin or use the forward lifts to cabin decks regularly? It was those areas that had the worst issues early in the year and, according to latest reports, it seems to be those same areas now.

Yes we had a forward cabin. The air con in the cabin worked well and kept it cool, which is our preference. We used the lifts and stairs each day and never noticed any problems with high temperatures. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The air con situation in our cabin had greatly improved yesterday when we returned from ashore and we have it on the lowest setting.  It is now comfortable.  I did not go forward last night so have no direct information but my SIL visited the Crows Nest and said it was comfortable there so I assume the issue whatever it was may have been rectified. 

Temperature is of course subjective being a very personal thing and also depending on the temperature an individual finds acceptable.  Personally I am pleased it is now cooler, however I noted an outbreak of ladies in cardigans at breakfast today so perhaps they do not share my enthusiasm!

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

20 hours ago, Palaceman said:

Yes we had a forward cabin. The air con in the cabin worked well and kept it cool, which is our preference. We used the lifts and stairs each day and never noticed any problems with high temperatures. 

I was on her ion May, and my experience was the same. So it looks like they thought they had fixed it but then after a month or two the problem recurred.

• Like 1

The last time I heard from a Captain that a ship had many more years was on Oriana.  She was gone in 3 months and I had to change to Aurora.  Same thing happened with Adonia, so I have no faith in what ship Captains say at all.

• Like 1

Well the good weather has certainly decided Helsinki has been a very naughty boy!  Just pulling in to a very grey and wet port after a night of downpours.  Luckily we had decided against an excursion so will be able to (hopefully!) take advantage of the predicted dryer weather from midday but some of our family are going to walk some huskies and reindeer so are going to get very wet.  We are here overnight so plenty of time for us to go into the city.  There is to be a shuttle, apparently P&O provided, at a cost of £4.00 each way per person.  As select passengers I assume we won't be charged but the excursion desk and Horizon did not mention anything bar the cost.  

We are considering the hoho bus which apparently stops here at the port terminal so removing the need to take the shuttle.  It was being sold by the ship at "from" £30 but we plan on buying at the bus if we can.  Disappointingly is sold as 24 hours but unlike the one in Kiel it actually is 12 hours and does not offer a 24 hour period from the time of purchase so my cunning plan to use it tomorrow as well has been scuppered.

Whatever we decided it is going to ge considerably cooler today, predicted around 16 degrees maximum so it will be out with the jumper and trousers and carrying my trusty P&O brolly I won on Arvia last year for being Pointless champion.

Oh yes, the air-conditioning is now well into overdrive everywhere, even I noticed it working well in The Glass House last night. Hopefully we are now in the "chilled" phase if things are cyclical!

• Like 6

On 8/29/2024 at 9:32 PM, Megabear2 said:

Hi, Thanks for the details about Glass House.  It would gave been good to gave been told before boarding as it is a big disappointment for us.  Although we love our family dearly we were looking forward to dining alone ela few times especially for our anniversary.  Neither of us eat any gorm of curry, the smell actually makes me feels physically ill, so Sindhu is out and my husband has only eaten in one Beach House on Azura and has no wish to repeat his experience.

We have quite enjoyed the MDR food so it not eating there that's the problem more we just wanted to have a little time away from the others at mealtimes on occasion. Still it is what it is so we will be okay.

Yes, the Crows Nest loo is indeed an interesting one.  Hopefully to be sorted soon.

From our side the sink leak has been mended and the lights are back on too.  I also understand the swimming pool temperature is considerably higher too so we are happy bunnies on that front.

I’d give the Beach House a try on here it’s a totally different animal than on Azura far superior. As I told Selbourne the MDR food is a great improvement on the grand voyage as well it’s a shame you don’t like Sindhu either we had the tiffin lunch yesterday and that was excellent as well

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Mollag said:

I’d give the Beach House a try on here it’s a totally different animal than on Azura far superior. As I told Selbourne the MDR food is a great improvement on the grand voyage as well it’s a shame you don’t like Sindhu either we had the tiffin lunch yesterday and that was excellent as well

Thank you. We have booked it for our anniversary on 6th so hopefully we will enjoy.

It's not that we don't like Sindhu it is that I dislike any form of Indian food, even fusion, and my husband is not allowed to eat a very large number of things due to medication and health conditions including simple things like broccoli and a large number of other vegetables. Four of our party ate there yesterday and were very impressed and have booked again.

We have found the MDR food very good as well better than Britannia in January.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Thank you. We have booked it for our anniversary on 6th so hopefully we will enjoy.

It's not that we don't like Sindhu it is that I dislike any form of Indian food, even fusion, and my husband is not allowed to eat a very large number of things due to medication and health conditions including simple things like broccoli and a large number of other vegetables. Four of our party ate there yesterday and were very impressed and have booked again.

We have found the MDR food very good as well better than Britannia in January.

I never used to touch anything spicy till a couple of years ago like you the smell put me of it but really enjoy it now. 
We usually hang out in the Crows Nest in the evening if you’re in anytime I’m the one with the very shiny head drinking punk sitting on the port side normally, or one of the deck bars during the day 

9 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Well the good weather has certainly decided Helsinki has been a very naughty boy!  Just pulling in to a very grey and wet port after a night of downpours.  Luckily we had decided against an excursion so will be able to (hopefully!) take advantage of the predicted dryer weather from midday but some of our family are going to walk some huskies and reindeer so are going to get very wet.  We are here overnight so plenty of time for us to go into the city.  There is to be a shuttle, apparently P&O provided, at a cost of £4.00 each way per person.  As select passengers I assume we won't be charged but the excursion desk and Horizon did not mention anything bar the cost.  

We are considering the hoho bus which apparently stops here at the port terminal so removing the need to take the shuttle.  It was being sold by the ship at "from" £30 but we plan on buying at the bus if we can.  Disappointingly is sold as 24 hours but unlike the one in Kiel it actually is 12 hours and does not offer a 24 hour period from the time of purchase so my cunning plan to use it tomorrow as well has been scuppered.

Whatever we decided it is going to ge considerably cooler today, predicted around 16 degrees maximum so it will be out with the jumper and trousers and carrying my trusty P&O brolly I won on Arvia last year for being Pointless champion.

Oh yes, the air-conditioning is now well into overdrive everywhere, even I noticed it working well in The Glass House last night. Hopefully we are now in the "chilled" phase if things are cyclical!

Please can you report back on the huskie and reindeer trip as we have that in mind for next May. Thank you

Thanks for doing this @Megabear2.  I think you are making comments on an ad hoc basis so I thought I'd tell you how much I enjoy reading your (and others') live reports.

I've nothing to add really, since I have never travelled on Aurora and never will, since low beds are a no-no for me, and I stored this fact up from Selbourne's trip, although at the time, I wondered if it was only adapted cabins that had low beds, but clearly it is not.

Thanks again - I hope you are all really enjoying yourselves.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

Thanks for doing this @Megabear2.  I think you are making comments on an ad hoc basis so I thought I'd tell you how much I enjoy reading your (and others') live reports.

I've nothing to add really, since I have never travelled on Aurora and never will, since low beds are a no-no for me, and I stored this fact up from Selbourne's trip, although at the time, I wondered if it was only adapted cabins that had low beds, but clearly it is not.

Thanks again - I hope you are all really enjoying yourselves.

Thank you for your kind comments. On this trip as I'm with my husband and family I am just popping in and out.  

I can confirm you are right about the beds they are indeed low and in our case a bit saggy making it more so - must be all my extra weight from the food!

We are once again blessed with glorious weather after the bucket loads Helsinki threw at us on both mornings.  However both afternoons were lovely and sunny so we had good fortune on that front too.

We are just leaving Tallin where we arrived last night at 11.00pm.  Again a beautiful place full of marvellous architecture and history.

To anyone reading this does anyone know the relevance of the charming ceremonies we saw everywhere today with the children receiving bouquets and flowers at their various schools?  We really wanted to ask someone but felt we would be intruding on what were clearly very special and personal family occasions.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 4