electronic boarding passes??

On 8/31/2024 at 11:50 AM, jsglow said:

I personally think it would be great if I could do both. Personally, I'm still generally a 'paper guy' but there are times when a phone scan is preferred. 

Ditto

For the Alaskan cruises out of Seattle ('24 Spirit & Luminosa), every passenger needs a paper boarding pass.  A boarding pass will be printed for a passenger arriving without one, but it does slow down the process.  Best to arrive with one in hand.

• Thanks 1

Not allowing paper boarding passes would be a mistake. Too many things can go wrong with electronic devices while traveling. 

Just this summer the charging port on my son's phone stopped working while we were traveling.   Once the battery ran out, it was just a brick until we got home and got it repaired. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/30/2024 at 9:25 AM, jimbo5544 said:

High schools are 14 to 18 year old kids that drew up on technology. 

...and cruise ships are about 75% people under 55 that grew up on technology.

Gen X grew up on computers and video games. The oldest Gen X'ers are almost 60.

On 8/30/2024 at 10:11 AM, ProgRockCruiser said:

Carnival's demographic is full of people waaaaay too old to adapt to new tech, and they are not about to annoy them.

I mean... 97% of adults in the USA have a smartphone.

On 8/30/2024 at 12:51 PM, babygrljaz said:

I was at the movies not to long ago. I got out of the ticketing menu to look something up while we were in line. By the time we got to the front of the line it took awhile for my QR code to load because little did I know my service didn't work so well the further we got in to the building. Me along with several people I travel with have had service slow down in the cruise terminal from time to time. So can't blame it on my service or phone. Can you imagine how backed up the lines would get...

Yeah... I'd never do that.

Buy your tickets online before showing up to the theater, have them stored locally, and you never need to connect to the anything. Boarding passes would be the same, just like they are for planes.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2024 at 2:12 PM, babygrljaz said:

Airlines have backups due to passengers phones not bright enough or cracked screens.

Last statistics I saw - for airline boarding passes electronic has now surpassed paper in terms of real world reliability. There is a higher failure rate due to damaged/poorly printed paper boarding passes than with e-boarding passes.

On 8/30/2024 at 2:14 PM, BlerkOne said:

When technology fails - and yes, it does, we are all back to paper. The computers at check-in for one cruise went down and that is exactly what happened.

It is exactly what is happening with the Port of Seattle and Seatac.

https://seatacblog.com/2024/08/28/update-sea-airport-continues-managing-cyberattack-offers-tips-for-labor-day-travelers/

attachment-SeaTac-paper.jpg?w=980&q=75

And a digital wallet doesn't do much with a dead battery.

Umm... whiteboards aren't paper.

...and paper and whiteboards are "technology", and both fail on occasion.

On 8/31/2024 at 12:51 PM, Denise72 said:

This was my thought as well. Why not introduce digital but allow paper until the majority of customers are comfortable with it. Or never lol just keepp both. 

Mostly cost and efficiency.

Long term - they're going to do whatever is cheapest/most profitable for the corporation, and we'll all just have to adjust to whatever that is.

1 hour ago, aborgman said:

And the number of (usually older) adults I know, who have a smartphone, that are not interested or tech savvy enough to comprehend an electronic ticket / smartphone virtual wallet, is way more than you might expect.

I think it would be a good idea to offer the method of smartphone / e-ticket, but also ensure the sizeable population that still wants to use a hardcopy to be able to do so.

6 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

And the number of (usually older) adults I know, who have a smartphone, that are not interested or tech savvy enough to comprehend an electronic ticket / smartphone virtual wallet, is way more than you might expect.

I think it would be a good idea to offer the method of smartphone / e-ticket, but also ensure the sizeable population that still wants to use a hardcopy to be able to do so.

I do think they should offer both options, at least for a limited time to allow the older folks to transition and learn their devices. Just like airlines and hotels do.

That said, concert halls/stadiums/public venues just had a hard cut off of physical tickets and cash. The older folks who attend those, quickly had to adapt or not attend. 

2 hours ago, aborgman said:

perhaps a cellphone...

Ages 18-29 30-49 50-64 65+
Cellphone 99 99 98 94
Smartphone 97 97 89 76
Cellphone, but not smartphone 1 2 8 17

Note: Respondents who did not give an answer are not shown.
Source: Survey of U.S. adults conducted May 19-Sept. 5, 2023.

1 hour ago, aborgman said:

Last statistics I saw - for airline boarding passes electronic has now surpassed paper in terms of real world reliability. There is a higher failure rate due to damaged/poorly printed paper boarding passes than with e-boarding passes.

They can reprint a ticket faster than a cell phone can charge.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, teknoge3k said:

That said, concert halls/stadiums/public venues just had a hard cut off of physical tickets and cash. The older folks who attend those, quickly had to adapt or not attend. 

or perhaps just go to the box office with appropriate ID. There has to be an alternative method for people whose cell phones die/are stolen/whatever.

Given we are in the age of extreme data thefts, someone might not want their personal data associated with mobile and/or etickets.

2 hours ago, aborgman said:

Mostly cost and efficiency.

Long term - they're going to do whatever is cheapest/most profitable for the corporation, and we'll all just have to adjust to whatever that is.

What is best for the corporation is not necessarily what is cheapest, especially when it costs them customers.

1 hour ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

bingo

I needed to use Ticketmaster to attend Postcard from Earth at the Las Vegas Sphere.  In the fine print, it said to upload your ticket also to your phone "wallet" since neither data and WiFi access were not guaranteed inside the Sphere and screenshots would not be accepted.  Fortunately, the WiFi works.  

It took way more time to scan phones than paper tickets. 

7 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

or perhaps just go to the box office with appropriate ID. There has to be an alternative method for people whose cell phones die/are stolen/whatever.

Given we are in the age of extreme data thefts, someone might not want their personal data associated with mobile and/or etickets.

Unless they purchased their tickets with cash at the venue, their personal data is already associated with their tickets.

4 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

Unless they purchased their tickets with cash at the venue, their personal data is already associated with their tickets.

On the ticket venue website, which is a risk in either case (paper or e ticket). Cell phones can be hacked - not so sure about paper tickets.

22 hours ago, aborgman said:

Not sure where you got 75% under 55.

This article indicates average age has dropped to 46 from 49, so the number of over 55 needs to be much higher to balance out the number of kids.

https://www.windrosenetwork.com/The-Cruise-Industry-Demographic-Profiles.html

In the chart below, if you hust split 50-59 in half, that equates to 40% over 55.

https://cruising.org/-/media/research-updates/research/consumer-research/2014-north-american-cruise-market-profile.pdf

Screenshot_20240906_070445_Drive.jpg

3 hours ago, DeniseTr said:

Not sure where you got 75% under 55.

This article indicates average age has dropped to 46 from 49, so the number of over 55 needs to be much higher to balance out the number of kids.

https://www.windrosenetwork.com/The-Cruise-Industry-Demographic-Profiles.html

In the chart below, if you hust split 50-59 in half, that equates to 40% over 55.

https://cruising.org/-/media/research-updates/research/consumer-research/2014-north-american-cruise-market-profile.pdf

Screenshot_20240906_070445_Drive.jpg

Your graph is pretty wrong.

It adds up to 100% of passengers - but has no box for "under 18" or "18-24"... So according to that graph - no one under 25 is a cruise passenger. Obviously not the case.

Then add in that Carnival skews notably younger than other cruise lines - and your data ignores children AND 18-24 year olds.

Overall numbers for all cruise lines last year (also ignores all under 18, but includes 18-24)

18-24: 9.14%

25-34: 17.66%

35-44: 17.02%

45-54: 18.29%

55-64: 19.09%

65+: 18.78%

...but as noted, Carnival skews significantly younger than the average.

Carnival is 16.35% in the 18-24 group vs. industry average of 9.14%

Add in 18-24 at Carnival percentages and add kids - and the numbers are pretty close.

On 9/5/2024 at 9:48 AM, aborgman said:

Gen X is the crossover gen. They are comfortable with either.

On 9/5/2024 at 12:53 PM, BlerkOne said:

perhaps a cellphone...

Ages 18-29 30-49 50-64 65+
Cellphone 99 99 98 94
Smartphone 97 97 89 76
Cellphone, but not smartphone 1 2 8 17

Note: Respondents who did not give an answer are not shown.
Source: Survey of U.S. adults conducted May 19-Sept. 5, 2023.

Those numbers when adjusted for population size come out to 91% of all adult Americans owning a smartphone.