GRATUITIES/TIPS/DAILY SERVICE CHARGE – ULTIMATE GUIDE

Guindalf

14 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

Being cynical but there is not much they do that is not expected or mandated to do.

We've had dining room servers that had our preferred water ready for us, brought my DW breadsticks that are not normally served in that dining room every meal after she asked for them once, brought dishes that they thought we would enjoy based on what we had ordered previously, brining extra portions of vegetables we commented on liking. 

Bartender starts making your preferred drink when they see you coming to the bar, greets you by name, engages you in conversation, adds a little extra because you commented once you enjoy your drinks on the strong side.  Automatically gives you a bottle of water with your drink.  Those extra attention to detail items go a long way in my opinion.

• Like 5

I can concur with so many examples of 'exceptional' that have been pointed out, but my favorite is a personal story.  When traveling, I use a foldable can/walking stick.  On day 2 of a 14 day cruise and cruise one of a B2B, it broke.  (The inner stretchy cord had frayed and snapped.)  My room steward took it upon himself to get it fixed.  He saved my cruise.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, eric4395 said:

I wouldn't describe it as happy but I am extremely comfortable in the way we prefer to do it. I hardly think my $180 dollars that we  have removed from only 1 of us divided between hundreds of staff is going to make much difference to there lifestyle. ( We have contributed by leaving $180) It's the staff who we are directly involved with maid, waiters, individual bar staff who will gain a little bit more. If others chose to pay full and then more to individual staff that is there prerogative, we don't.

You’re joking right? There is always at least one in every crowd who thinks they know better..

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, Pushka said:

Cruises booked in Australia on Celebrity for  worldwide have tips included in the fare. 

At a higher base price and I believe without the option to remove the tips.

The difference is all the cruise lines operating/selling there follows the same rules so it's not a problem.

We would be happy to see the same pricing structure applied to all cruises.

One small step in that direction is that X is now including port fees and taxes in the base price of all cruises which is a welcome change.

1 hour ago, pete_coach said:

The same can go for the servers in the eateries and bartenders.

The waiters take your order, deliver your food, smile and say thank you...what is exceptional? He may say a few platitudes but really,.... exceptional?

Bartenders?  Make a drink for you, like they do for every passenger on the ship. they may talk to you when not busy but... exceptional??

Being cynical but there is not much they do that is not expected or mandated to do.

With all due respect, we notice the difference.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

You’re joking right? There is always at least one in every crowd who thinks they know better..

Unfortunately, I do not think he is joking.   Sad but true. 

• Like 3

Just now, PTC DAWG said:

We don't profess to be happy about it not do we  profess to know better, it's what we choose to do.

Just now, DaKahuna said:

Unfortunately, I do not think he is joking.   Sad but true. 

There's nothing sad about paying out gratuities in the way that you prefer, not paying any could be looked at as sad by some I suppose ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, eric4395 said:

There's nothing sad about paying out gratuities in the way that you prefer, not paying any could be looked at as sad by some I suppose ?

It''s not the paying them out, it's taking them away from those that deserve them but are not in direct contact.   We have never even considered removing the daily service charge, even when some services were not up to our usual standard.  I usually pre-pay when I pay for the cruise and consider it a part of the cost of cruising.  

For over and above service we usually tip on top of the daily service charge. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

We've had dining room servers that had our preferred water ready for us, brought my DW breadsticks that are not normally served in that dining room every meal after she asked for them once, brought dishes that they thought we would enjoy based on what we had ordered previously, brining extra portions of vegetables we commented on liking. 

Bartender starts making your preferred drink when they see you coming to the bar, greets you by name, engages you in conversation, adds a little extra because you commented once you enjoy your drinks on the strong side.  Automatically gives you a bottle of water with your drink.  Those extra attention to detail items go a long way in my opinion.

I stand corrected. If you have select dining and go to the same table every night and have the same servers every night, they may have that kind of service.

If the bartender knows you so well at every bar, then you should consider your drinking issues LOL

27 minutes ago, horseymike said:

They should include all charges in the price.

You know what the total cost will be before you purchase the cruise.

You have a choice when booking to have all the extras included, then you know the price.

29 minutes ago, horseymike said:

With all due respect, we notice the difference.

With all due respect. 4000 people get onboard every week on the ship and they have 4 to 8 month contracy and they will remember you and give you "special" attention? Really? LOL

Realistically, it is their job to be polite and give you service, like every other service industry worker.

It also behooves them to give everyone good service lest someone complains about them so they do not lose position or pay.

I pay gratuities.

Edited by pete_coach
  • Like 1

Just now, DaKahuna said:

It''s not the paying them out, it's taking them away from those that deserve them but are not in direct contact.   We have never even considered removing the daily service charge, even when some services were not up to our usual standard.  I usually pre-pay when I pay for the cruise and consider it a part of the cost of cruising.  

For over and above service we usually tip on top of the daily service charge. 

With all due respect lots of UK cruisers look at gratuities in a different way from USA cruisers, with many removing them altogether and perhaps paying to who they wish. There is no right or wrong.

It's always been a contentious point.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, eric4395 said:

With all due respect lots of UK cruisers look at gratuities in a different way from USA cruisers, with many removing them altogether and perhaps paying to who they wish. There is no right or wrong.

I kind of agree.

I started travelling for business (and pleasure) many decades ago and tipping or gratuities was not in play.

The American tipping culture where they pay workers very little and they make it up in tips has permeated the world. The more Americans began to travel they naturally assumed the rest of the world paid service workers poorly too so they tipped as they did at home. Fact was that in most countries (in Europe for sure) service workers got paid quite well. Certainly enough to own homes and make a very good living.

Now tipping is common almost worldwide.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, eric4395 said:

People from the UK see it differently because people are paid a living wage.

I wish Celebrity would just bundle it into the price of the cruise because essentially it is part of the price and it would stop all the talk of removing tips from people.

• Like 2

Just now, Lena11033 said:

People from the UK see it differently because people are paid a living wage.

I wish Celebrity would just bundle it into the price of the cruise because essentially it is part of the price and it would stop all the talk of removing tips from people.

I am sure the last 2 or 3 Celebrity cruises we did had gratuities included in the total price, but seems  to have changed back again. Not sure if that's a great idea when sailing from the UK?

2 minutes ago, eric4395 said:

I am sure the last 2 or 3 Celebrity cruises we did had gratuities included in the total price, but seems  to have changed back again. Not sure if that's a great idea when sailing from the UK?

tips have never been included in cruises from the UK.

59 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

I stand corrected. If you have select dining and go to the same table every night and have the same servers every night, they may have that kind of service.

If the bartender knows you so well at every bar, then you should consider your drinking issues LOL

You have a choice when booking to have all the extras included, then you know the price.

With all due respect. 4000 people get onboard every week on the ship and they have 4 to 8 month contracy and they will remember you and give you "special" attention? Really? LOL

Realistically, it is their job to be polite and give you service, like every other service industry worker.

It also behooves them to give everyone good service lest someone complains about them so they do not lose position or pay.

I pay gratuities.

It’s not that any crew member remembers us. Some crew members try harder to help ALL the passengers that they are taking care of to have a more enjoyable, seamless experience. Some crew members do not .

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, eric4395 said:

Sorry where do you live?

We are from the UK and neither we nor any of our UK friends ever remove/cancel the auto grats.

By all means make your objections/comments/suggestions to Celebrity but in the meantime don't penalise the hard working crew by removing or reducing what is in effect part of their wages.

If you don't like X's system don't book with X - there are lots of alternatives

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I have told bartenders to make drinks weaker 😁

when you start with 43 in your morning coffee ( what to do now since I don’t drink coffee , brandy in tea 🤔😉😁) you don’t want to thin out your blood too much when you are drinking all day and you are on blood thinners 🤣

• Like 1

On 8/31/2024 at 12:32 PM, mrgabriel said:

Yeah, seen a lot of that recently. I don't know, either. I know my expectations (which they always meet) and think that the stewards are now so busy that they don't have time to do much that is exceptional. 

For me, It can include many little things that are above and beyond the norm.   Example:  One Steward would take the change I left on the bedside table and arrange them in a decorative fashion.   Many others when they would see is coming walk to our room and unlock the door.  Make up the bed covering (as requested) like a Duvet covers as oppose to tightly tucked in.   Rearrange all the numerous electronic gizmos on cocktail table  in an orderly fashion and totally clean the tables daily (the norm is to work around them and not fully clean).    Fold all the dirty laundry on the floor of the closet.   If I left a shirt or pair of jeans on back of chair... fold them neatly.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Just now, the penguins said:

Sorry where do you live?

We are from the UK and neither we nor any of our UK friends ever remove/cancel the auto grats.

By all means make your objections/comments/suggestions to Celebrity but in the meantime don't penalise the hard working crew by removing or reducing what is in effect part of their wages.

If you don't like X's system don't book with X - there are lots of alternatives

UK as well and never said everyone removes there tips( we are not removing ours either just doing it the way we wish to do it). You are kidding yourself on if you think that nobody does? I will continue to cruise with who I wish gratuity policies won't change that.

25 minutes ago, horseymike said:

It’s not that any crew member remembers us. Some crew members try harder to help ALL the passengers that they are taking care of to have a more enjoyable, seamless experience. Some crew members do not .

I believe that s what I said. Their livelihood is dependant on service.

I said "Realistically, it is their job to be polite and give you service, like every other service industry worker.

It also behooves them to give everyone good service lest someone complains about them so they do not lose position or pay."

Those that do not get the complaints and stagnate in their position and pay.

1 hour ago, pete_coach said:

4000 people get onboard every week on the ship and they have 4 to 8 month contract and they will remember you and give you "special" attention? Really? LOL

It is amazing they can remember the things they remember, isn't it?  Like the bar tender in Michael's that I hadn't seen in three or four years said, " Tex, why didn't you get word to me that you were coming?  I would have had your preferred wine ready for you."  I couldn't believe he remembered me by name and wine.  😊

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, horseymike said:

I couldn't disagree more - just one example of many:

In March 2019 we did B2B cruises to celebrate our Golden Wedding. Towards the end we were talking to Olissia our favourite server in Al Bacio and she said her nect contract would be on  Silhouette sailing from Southampton. I told her we would be doing a b2b on the ship first to the Canary Islands then staying on for the TA and on the first section we would be travelling with my brother and his wife on their first ever cruise - would she have my latte ready when we boarded.

Fast forward to October and as always as we went to the Al Bacio to wait for cabin to be ready. We found a table for 4 and as soon as we sat down Olissia put a latte down in front of me. My brother thought it was a set up but before I could say anything Olissia said to my wife "I'm sorry Miss Anita I didn't bring you a drink as you change your mind and I didn't know if you would want a latte, English breakfast tea or a weak hot chocolate". Later that day I remembered that Olissia didn't usually start work until later in the day and asked her if her shifts had been changed . Oh no she said " i just changed shifts for today to be there when you boarded".

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, eric4395 said:

UK as well and never said everyone removes there tips( we are not removing ours either just doing it the way we wish to do it). You are kidding yourself on if you think that nobody does? I will continue to cruise with who I wish gratuity policies won't change that.

I didn't say "nobody does" but you said "many do" which I simply don't believe is true. If the vast majority of passengers didn't pay the auto tips in full Celebrity would be forced to introduce a different system.

Sorry again but as the total sum you are spending remains the same  clearly you are removing tips from some crew members to give it to others