Our 50th Anniversary Greek Land Adventure and 9-Night Best of Greece Cruise Aboard the Infinity, Departing Athens on Sept 19

In late Feb 2023, DW declared she would like to book a Greek cruise for our 50th wedding anniversary and told me to get busy researching available cruises. She even gave me the clearance to book a Royal Suite on X or equivalent. Our 50th anniversary is in September 2024, so I figured I had plenty of time to book.

image.jpeg.6832a381429318b152804c0890cf4d5d.jpeg

In addition to the cruise, she told me to plan a road trip through Greece and to allow sufficient time for us to visit Greek friends we met while posted in Kuwait at the turn of the century.  DW was the surrogate mother for several young Greek flight attendants for Kuwait Airlines who have since returned to Greece, or found a home in other places.

I put together and presented her with lots of options for available bookings throughout the month of September. She eliminated all that were not sailing on our anniversary, leaving open only one choice: a 9-night Best of Greece cruise aboard Celebrity’s Infinity, departing Athens on September 19th. The day before our anniversary.

I made a mock booking thru X’s website and was surprised to find there were only two Royal Suites available.  I had to act immediately and booked one of the suites through X. I subsequently transferred the booking to a big box store’s travel department where I got bonus OBC and a hefty post-cruise credit card. Incidentally, the cruise sold out last year.

With suite booked and 19 months to go before the cruise, I had time to research and plan a land tour to the sites we want to visit. This is that story.

Ironically, one of the girls in Kuwait we were surrogate parents to met and married a man from Jacksonville, Florida; where they currently live. Over the course of all these months, I have reached out to her for help in planning our trip. She and her sister, who lives in Athens, have been extremely helpful.

I also got help from an American couple living in Athens that I met on an Azamara Roll Call. They graciously provided me with literature about Athens and guidance on what to do and what to avoid.

Another plus is that another of our surrogate daughters lives in Athens with her two grown daughters. And she might be joining us on our road trip through the Greek countryside. Finally, German friends of ours who have homes here, Germany, and Greece invited us to visit them post-cruise at their home in Thessaloniki (one of our port calls).

I waited until after the 2024 New Year before I really started my research. However, I did discover one element that caused me concern.

Athens hotels would not take reservations that far out.

I knew where I wanted to stay, but try as I did, I could not break through that barrier.

I was out of the country most of March and couldn’t do much online.  It was not until I returned home in April that I was able make a booking. Unfortunately, several hotels I wanted to book had no vacancies, so initially I booked our Pre-cruise time in Athens at the Astor. Our Greek friend from Jacksonville recently visited her family in Athens and popped into the Astor to take a look. She was unable to visit any rooms, but reported the hotel just finished a restoration and that the lobby looked great. 

However, just shy of a month before embarkation, I looked at Airbnb’s in Athens and found one we really liked and booked.  It is in the Athenia district, not next door to the Parthenon, but close enough for us.  The place looks great, is spacious, has a garage, washer and dryer, a fabulous view of the Parthenon, and has excellent reviews.  PLUS, it is less expensive than the Astor.

image.jpeg.021c2d7c02a1a2f2c50f2c0fd18b7ec4.jpeg

image.jpeg.44ad6c168e1c080eeb2a977918782ba5.jpeg

(https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/35212629?source_impression_id=p3_1723912892_P3sL5jeGykyluHyu

P.S. Canceling our reservation at the Astor was a breeze and didn’t cost us anything.

My next post will cover the planning for our road trip.

Stay tuned and hang for the ride

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Traveling Fools said:

In late Feb 2023, DW declared she would like to book a Greek cruise for our 50th wedding anniversary and told me to get busy researching available cruises. She even gave me the clearance to book a Royal Suite on X or equivalent. Our 50th anniversary is in September 2024, so I figured I had plenty of time to book.

image.jpeg.6832a381429318b152804c0890cf4d5d.jpeg

In addition to the cruise, she told me to plan a road trip through Greece and to allow sufficient time for us to visit Greek friends we met while posted in Kuwait at the turn of the century.  DW was the surrogate mother for several young Greek flight attendants for Kuwait Airlines who have since returned to Greece, or found a home in other places.

I put together and presented her with lots of options for available bookings throughout the month of September. She eliminated all that were not sailing on our anniversary, leaving open only one choice: a 9-night Best of Greece cruise aboard Celebrity’s Infinity, departing Athens on September 19th. The day before our anniversary.

I made a mock booking thru X’s website and was surprised to find there were only two Royal Suites available.  I had to act immediately and booked one of the suites through X. I subsequently transferred the booking to a big box store’s travel department where I got bonus OBC and a hefty post-cruise credit card. Incidentally, the cruise sold out last year.

With suite booked and 19 months to go before the cruise, I had time to research and plan a land tour to the sites we want to visit. This is that story.

Ironically, one of the girls in Kuwait we were surrogate parents to met and married a man from Jacksonville, Florida; where they currently live. Over the course of all these months, I have reached out to her for help in planning our trip. She and her sister, who lives in Athens, have been extremely helpful.

I also got help from an American couple living in Athens that I met on an Azamara Roll Call. They graciously provided me with literature about Athens and guidance on what to do and what to avoid.

Another plus is that another of our surrogate daughters lives in Athens with her two grown daughters. And she might be joining us on our road trip through the Greek countryside. Finally, German friends of ours who have homes here, Germany, and Greece invited us to visit them post-cruise at their home in Thessaloniki (one of our port calls).

I waited until after the 2024 New Year before I really started my research. However, I did discover one element that caused me concern.

Athens hotels would not take reservations that far out.

I knew where I wanted to stay, but try as I did, I could not break through that barrier.

I was out of the country most of March and couldn’t do much online.  It was not until I returned home in April that I was able make a booking. Unfortunately, several hotels I wanted to book had no vacancies, so initially I booked our Pre-cruise time in Athens at the Astor. Our Greek friend from Jacksonville recently visited her family in Athens and popped into the Astor to take a look. She was unable to visit any rooms, but reported the hotel just finished a restoration and that the lobby looked great. 

However, just shy of a month before embarkation, I looked at Airbnb’s in Athens and found one we really liked and booked.  It is in the Athenia district, not next door to the Parthenon, but close enough for us.  The place looks great, is spacious, has a garage, washer and dryer, a fabulous view of the Parthenon, and has excellent reviews.  PLUS, it is less expensive than the Astor.

image.jpeg.021c2d7c02a1a2f2c50f2c0fd18b7ec4.jpeg

image.jpeg.44ad6c168e1c080eeb2a977918782ba5.jpeg

(https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/35212629?source_impression_id=p3_1723912892_P3sL5jeGykyluHyu

P.S. Canceling our reservation at the Astor was a breeze and didn’t cost us anything.

My next post will cover the planning for our road trip.

Stay tuned and hang for the ride

Greetings, we conversed on the roll call before I had to cancel.

Sincere best wishes for a wonderful vacation, you have planned so much more than a cruise! A 50th wedding anniversary is truly something to celebrate, my sincere best wishes to you both.

Just as an afterthought, I have just checked availability for the cruise and the PH I cancelled is still available at a high premium…could be worth a cheeky move up bid?

Looking forward to following your adventures…

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chemmo said:

Sincere best wishes for a wonderful vacation, you have planned so much more than a cruise! A 50th wedding anniversary is truly something to celebrate, my sincere best wishes to you both.

Just as an afterthought, I have just checked availability for the cruise and the PH I cancelled is still available at a high premium…could be worth a cheeky move up bid?

Hi chemmo, we have been thinking hard about that, but have some high priced cruises booked for Jan '25 & '26.  The price of those cruises plus business class air have put a brake on just how much more we want to pay for an upgrade.  Plus, because we booked with a big box store's travel department, we can't place a move up bid.

We were really looking forward to meeting you on this cruise, but understand why you decided to cancel. Life presents challenges that often compel adapting and adjusting well thought out plans!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, nimiq said:

Can’t wait to read you or maybe pumping into you as we will also be on that cruise. First congrats on the 50th Anniversary.

sea Ya 
Eric

Thanks Eric,

Love, sprinkled with give and take on both sides is what has made it work for us.

Hopefully, once aboard, we will bump into you.

1 hour ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

Following! Loved our Greek cruise and am very interested in your land travels as well. So nice for you to have so many friends and family to get helpful travel info from! 
Happy 50th! 🎉🥂🛳️

Cathy

Thank-you Cathy.  We are as excited about the road trip as we are the cruise!

• Like 1

There is so much to see and do in Greece that we were almost overwhelmed. DW and I collaborated on a list of things to do and places to visit.

Places we want to visit include:

1.      Acropolis/Parthenon                                              (In Athens)

2.      The Archaeology Museum                                     (In Athens)

3.      Changing of the Guard                                          (in Athens)

4.      Acropolis/Parthenon                                              (In Athens)

5.      Olympia                                                                 (Land Trip)

6.      Delphi                                                                    (Land Trip)

7.      Meteora                                                                 (Land Trip)

8.      Cape Sounion & Temple of Poseidon                      (Land Trip)

image.jpeg.706c1385edbde42c7ab40c78147aea10.jpeg

9.   Sparta                                                                  (Must skip, too far away/not enough time)

10. Nafpilo                                                                  (Port of Call)

11. Epidaurus                                                             (Shore Excursion from Nafpilo)

12. Mycenae                                                               (Shore Excursion from Nafpilo)

13. Akrotiri                                                                  (Visit while in Port from Santorini)

14. Delos                                                                    (Shore Excursion from Mykonos)

15. Arch & Rotunda of Galerina                                  (Shore Excursion from Thessaloniki)

16. The White Tower                                                   (Shore Excursion from Thessaloniki)

17. Vergina Museum                                                   (Shore Excursion at Thessaloniki)

18. Tomb of Philippi                                                     (Shore Excursion from Kavala)

19. (Alexander the Great’s Father)                               (Shore Excursion from Kavala

20. Philipp                                                                    (Shore Excursion from Kavala)

21. Epidaurus                                                               (Shore Excursion from Nafpilo)

22. Mycenae                                                                 (Shore Excursion from Nafpilo)

And, of course, exploring other must see, must do sites and things in Athens.  We will have ample time in Athens to do all this.

Initially, we were going to fly Turkish Air. We have flown with them before and are pleased with their business class service; PLUS, they had the best price for RT air from Miami. Their flights would have had us arrive in Athens at 9 AM; plenty of time for a modest day of travel and exploration.

Before we purchased our air fare thru Turkish Air our son, who for years has lived and worked in Germany, informed us he has Stage-4 Stomach Cancer. Between his German heath care plan and the VA his treatment his treatment is covered. (He was in one of the U.S. Army units that were part of the invasion into Iraq and stomach cancer is one of the presumptive diseases/illnesses caused by being in Iraq during that time period.

After learning about our son’s cancer, DW learned one of her younger brothers also has advanced cancer. Anyway, after learning both should still be alive and kicking when we return to Athens after our cruise, we canceled our post-cruise visit with our German friends in Thessaloniki and schedule a stop in Frankfurt on our way home to be with our son and visit DW’s brother and other relatives.

We were able to book flights from Miami to Athens, Athens to Frankfurt, and back to Miami. We arrive in Athens about 1:00 PM. Once in Athens, we will rent a car, hopefully pick up our friend, and start our journey. We booked a separate flight from Athens to Frankfurt after we disembark.

After booking this cruise X informed us they were deleting Volos as a Port of Call and replacing it with Napoli. This cancelation actually worked in our favor. We were able to stream line our land tour itinerary 1)  to bypass  Corinth  and substitute the stop with a 1/2  day excursion to there from Athens, 2) by pass sites near Napoli and book a private excursion to them as part of or port call there, 3)  expedite our time in Olympia to give us ample driving time to Delphi, 4)  further expedite our time in both Delphi and Meteora, 5) permit us to drive and overnight  near Poseidon Temple, and return our rental car on either the 13th or 14th saving us several days in rental fees.

My next post will be the itinerary for our road trip.

Happy Labor Day!

• Like 3

GREEK ROAD TRIP

https://www.viator.com/tours/Athens/4-Day-Classical-Greece-Tour-Epidaurus-Mycenae-Olympia-Delphi-Meteora/d496-31409

image.jpeg.c9640dca0c208c9f37bf87be27410d55.jpeg

Two things required before charting our land trip was:

1.      Deciding the date and time we want to arrive in Athens to meet our road trip plan

2.      To accommodate my desire to attend a Sunday morning Evzones Changing of the Guard.

To accomplish this, we will depart Miami Friday, September 8th, arrive in Athens the afternoon of the 9th, begin our road trip the same afternoon, and return to Athens on September 13th.

When planning our land excursion, I visited several websites that offered private excursions. created the following itinerary by extrapolating information from itineraries found online. We considered hiring a guide, but the cost was too great. However, I was able to create the following itinerary by extrapolating information from itineraries found online.

Day-1 (Sept 9:

(1)   Drive direct to Olympia, where we will stay at the Hotel Kronio which is very close to the historic sites in Olympia.

Day 2 (Sept 10th):

(1)   Onward to Delphi. Dinner and an overnight stay in Delphi at the V Hotel.

Day 3 (Sept 11th):

(1)   Visit Delphi and the Temple of Apollo, the drive to Kalabaka for dinner and an overnight stay at the Theatro Hotel Odyssean

Day 4 (Sept 12th):  

(1)   Visit Meteora.

(2)   Depart to Cape Sounion & Temple of Poseidon with a short stop at Thermopylae. 

(3)   Overnight at Attica Vacation Home Apartment in Lavreotiki. 

(4)    Check out the local area and watch the sunset at Poseidon’s Temple

DAY 5 (Sept 13th😞  

(1)   Enjoy a leisurely morning and lunch at a taverna

(2)   Depart for Athens and check into our Airbnb.

During our road trip and depending on access to Wi-Fi, I will post details regarding the road trip, stops made, value of stops, hotel and dining information, and allocation of time to visit sites.

My next post will focus on our plans for Athens.

• Like 1

As you are well traveled you may know this already but they have amazing site maps usually available at ticket booths/gift shops. One side gives you a suggested route and the other side shows from archaeological excavations what they think the ruins would look like ‘whole’. We found these maps wonderful. You could go at your own pace and by looking at the ruins then at the pictorial the sites came to life. They make a lovely (light and small) souvenir to take home too.

Your route looks fantastic, highlights to me being Delphi and Mycenae…We found both of these truly memorable.If you have time (I know you will be tired) first afternoon stop at Corinth en route to Olympia. Nice to have a quick peak at the canal and the Roman site there is worth visiting…Even if you can only stop for an hour…Many years now since we did our ‘major’ touring of Greece but it was so memorable it only seems like yesterday…

On 9/1/2024 at 1:50 PM, chemmo said:

I’m so sorry you had to cancel. I remember you referring to this trip some time ago and that it was going to be a poignant experience. I hope you get to reschedule 😊

6 hours ago, chemmo said:

As you are well traveled you may know this already but they have amazing site maps usually available at ticket booths/gift shops. One side gives you a suggested route and the other side shows from archaeological excavations what they think the ruins would look like ‘whole’. We found these maps wonderful. You could go at your own pace and by looking at the ruins then at the pictorial the sites came to life. They make a lovely (light and small) souvenir to take home too.

Thank you for the reminder!

6 hours ago, chemmo said:

If you have time (I know you will be tired) first afternoon stop at Corinth en route to Olympia. Nice to have a quick peak at the canal and the Roman site there is worth visiting…Even if you can only stop for an hour

That was my original intent, but, I found a 1/2 day comprehensive excursion to Corinth from Athens that have booked for Sept 16th.  That should be better than a flyby stop. 

• Like 1

We plan on returning to Athens in the late afternoon of Sept 13th. I know it is possible to rent a car at the airport and return it in Athens, which is what we will do.

Our Airbnb includes an enclosed garage.  Because it doesn’t change the rental rate, before we set out on our first day of exploring Athens, we will probably return the rental car on the morning of the 14th, at a location very close to our Airbnb.

Garage.thumb.webp.59513e1907e082a372485d1845204400.webp

When cruising out of Athens, here are a couple of lessons we have learned regarding pre or post-cruise activities including finding lodging, renting a car, and venturing outside of Athens on DYI excursions are:

1.      In many instances booking an Airbnb is more cost effective than booking a hotel, and many, if not most, Airbnb’s have a washer and dryer and might not be that far off the beaten path.  Because we will be traveling 12 ½ days before boarding and X doesn’t have a self-service laundry on board. The washer and dryer will be a godsend amenity,

2.      Terms of some rental car agencies in Greece require non-EU travelers to have an International Drivers Permit (IDP).  In the USA, the only agency authorized to issue IDPs is AAA.  You do not need to be a member of AAA to schedule an appointment or to get an IDP from them.  None-members of AAA will pay more than members for an IDP.  AND the IDP will be issued the same day the application is submitted.  We paid less than $70 for both our IDPs.  Our Greek friend has told us she nor her American husband have ever been required to produce an IDP.  We didn’t ask who they rented their cars from and, even though since 1975 we have never been asked to produce an IDP, we are not willing to take the chance that Greece enforces different standards. We just don’t want to risk being told at the counter that per the terms of the rental agreement we need an IDP.  In my reviews I will advise if they asked us to produce an IDP.

Ok, back to pre-cruise activities in Athens.

Aside from visiting museums and historical sites, I want to watch the Evzones Changing of the Guard in front of the Greek Parliament Building and tomb or Geese’s unknown soldier on Syntagma Square. specifically on Sunday (Sept 15th) at 11’ AM.  At this hour on Sundays the Changing of the Guard is cited as being “Elaborate”.

image.jpeg.7ab5fc6a4633a9b1e521e4501425ad00.jpeg

The only other locked-in excursion from Athens is on Monday the 16th.  On that day we have booked a half-day excursion to Corinth, a site we chose to bypass on Sept 9th.

The only reason we haven’t locked down any other Athens activities is that we are still waiting for our surrogate Greek daughter living in Athens to tell us when she can join us.  With ample time to spend in Athens we will not feel rushed.

Packing is Next

• Like 1

"We were able to book flights from Miami to Athens, Athens to Frankfurt, and back to Miami"

I didn't think there were any nonstop flights to ATH from Miami. What airline? I had been looking for a nonstop out of Miami for my cruise out of ATH for a while and didn't see anything.

4 hours ago, bbtondo said:

We were able to book flights from Miami to Athens, Athens to Frankfurt, and back to Miami"

I didn't think there were any nonstop flights to ATH from Miami. What airline? I had been looking for a nonstop out of Miami for my cruise out of ATH for a while and didn't see anything.

We booked the same flights, only that we booked separate return tickets from Athens to Frankfurt on the 28th.  The only reason we did it this way was to save money.  We will stay in Germany for 2 weeks post cruise.  We are booked business on from MIA-FRA and from FRA-ATH on our flight there.  When we depart Athens we are booked economy from ATH- FRA and 2 weeks later from FRA-MIA we are booked business.

Edited by Traveling Fools

20 hours ago, Traveling Fools said:

We booked the same flights, only that we booked separate return tickets from Athens to Frankfurt on the 28th.  The only reason we did it this way was to save money.  We will stay in Germany for 2 weeks post cruise.  We are booked business on from MIA-FRA and from FRA-ATH on our flight there.  When we depart Athens we are booked economy from ATH- FRA and 2 weeks later from FRA-MIA we are booked business.

You booked connecting flights, not nonstop? 

23 hours ago, bbtondo said:

You booked connecting flights, not nonstop? 

We fly non-stop MIA to FRA on Sept 8th and have to change planes on arrival in Frankfurt to catch a 2nd flight to Athens.

On the return leg, we are flying from Athens deplaning in Frankfurt  where we will spend 2-weeks.  Our return flight from FRA to MIA is non-stop.