Does wifi always work well in the cabins?

Hi... I am trying to decide if I want to sign up for the regular wifi package (NOT part of any other package/bundle) at $24.99 per day.

I normally never use my phone on the ship, and only check in the odd time with free wifi at ports. However.. this time I am travelling solo (first time) and am debating getting the package. I was convinced I could do without it... but now I am getting anxious and nervous about it.

I think I would feel better knowing I could communicate with family back home anytime while at sea (and use my Canada phone at all the ports...Canada/New England cruise on Emerald ).

My question.. can I use wifi effectively all over the ship (Emerald specific)? In my cabin (OV), by the pool, etc?

I would want to be able to facebook message and send snapchat videos and pictures. And at bedtime I would really want to be able to do a video call on facebook or discord or snapchat. Do you think ALL cabins would support a video call? As this is not part of a bundle/package...it would not be the 'medallion MAX', but just the regular medallion speeds.

If I cannot effectively use wifi in my cabin... then that may be the deal breaker.

Thanks for any insight.

6 minutes ago, travelloverontario said:

Hi... I am trying to decide if I want to sign up for the regular wifi package (NOT part of any other package/bundle) at $24.99 per day.

I normally never use my phone on the ship, and only check in the odd time with free wifi at ports. However.. this time I am travelling solo (first time) and am debating getting the package. I was convinced I could do without it... but now I am getting anxious and nervous about it.

I think I would feel better knowing I could communicate with family back home anytime while at sea (and use my Canada phone at all the ports...Canada/New England cruise on Emerald ).

My question.. can I use wifi effectively all over the ship (Emerald specific)? In my cabin (OV), by the pool, etc?

I would want to be able to facebook message and send snapchat videos and pictures. And at bedtime I would really want to be able to do a video call on facebook or discord or snapchat. Do you think ALL cabins would support a video call? As this is not part of a bundle/package...it would not be the 'medallion MAX', but just the regular medallion speeds.

If I cannot effectively use wifi in my cabin... then that may be the deal breaker.

Thanks for any insight.

When we sailed non the Sapphire in 2022 we had the plus package and used WiFi everywhere we went on the ship. It did lag a little after a day on shore I think people were downloading pictures and blogs of their port day. But even on the sea days between CA and Hawaii we didn't have many issues.

I was also on Emerald as a solo traveler back in April, and I had no problem whatsoever with internet. My service came as part of the Plus package.
I did not try a video call, but otherwise I had no complaints in my cabin, in the buffet, by the pool, etc. Enjoy your trip!

• Like 1

Now that the entire fleet is on Starlink the wifi is very good to excellent in *most* areas...but there are still some itineraries that have issues such as transatlantic and Alaska (uppermost areas). Probably transpacific as well.

One other thing you should know. There's a slight delay in the back and forth on wifi calling. My son called me on the ship on my birthday recently and we went to saying something then saying "over" to indicate to the other person that we'd finished and it was time for them to talk. It wasn't a huge delay, but it was noticable.

My question is - is there really a difference between the Wifi purchased separately (daily or for the whole cruise) and the All-Inclusive package Wifi.

I have heard the Package have MAX Wifi, but is there a difference between them?

That is the deal breaker for me.

I was on the Emerald in 2023 doing LA to Miami and was able to facetime my adult daughters to show them the dolphins following the ship. I facetimed 3 or 4 times throughout the 14 nights and I could watch you tube no problem when I was in my room. Only thing I couldnt stream was sky news and couldnt do that on you tube either, I think they put a block on it (im from the uk) so maybe they didnt allow it. But, I could still read the news app no problem. Messenger and facebook was also fine, chatting to friends back home.

The package I got was the plus so it included wifi and drinks and tips and 2 x casual dining meals and some other bits like desserts etc.

• Thanks 1

There should be no difference between Wi-Fi purchased as part of the Plus package and wi-fi purchased on a day to day basis or for an entire cruise. You will be able to do all the things you want. From anywhere on the ship. 

2 hours ago, BamaVol said:

There should be no difference between Wi-Fi purchased as part of the Plus package and wi-fi purchased on a day to day basis or for an entire cruise. You will be able to do all the things you want. From anywhere on the ship. 

I have recently read that there is a difference now, unless I misunderstood. 

What I understand is... if you have wifi as part of a plus or premier package, you get MAX (new and improved) wifi (internet)...whereas if it is daily with no package, you get the regular wifi that the ship has been using up til now 

1 hour ago, RETCOL said:

Can you purchase wifi for just the sea days or do you have to buy it for the full cruise length? Thanks 

From my research it is $40 USD if you buy it day by day...but it is NOT for 24hrs...just for the 'day'. I may have read it wrong or read incorrect information though. But I read that it expires at 11:59 pm regardless of what time you bought it for the day.

If you buy the wifi for the entire voyage it is $24.99 per day.

18 minutes ago, travelloverontario said:

I have recently read that there is a difference now, unless I misunderstood. 

What I understand is... if you have wifi as part of a plus or premier package, you get MAX (new and improved) wifi (internet)...whereas if it is daily with no package, you get the regular wifi that the ship has been using up til now 

That is a recent change and you are correct, but you will still find the standard internet acceptable for your purposes.  You do not need Max. 

Edited by BamaVol

23 hours ago, RETCOL said:

Can you purchase wifi for just the sea days or do you have to buy it for the full cruise length? Thanks 

You can purchase WIFI for a 24 hour period for $30. If you purchase it in the middle of the day you would end up with 2 half days. I hope this helps!

On 9/3/2024 at 9:20 AM, BamaVol said:

There should be no difference between Wi-Fi purchased as part of the Plus package and wi-fi purchased on a day to day basis or for an entire cruise. 

Princess had a presser stating Max Wi-Fi would only be available with plus and premier.

FT. LAUDERDALE, Fla. (August 7, 2024) – Princess Cruises, the world's most iconic cruise brand, today announced the launch of MedallionNet Max, a new level of onboard Wi-Fi service that will meet the growing demands of today’s intensively digitally-connected travelers and continue to expand the market for cruise vacations. MedallionNet Max will be available exclusively in Princess Plus and Princess Premier packages.

MedallionNet Max will only be available in the brand’s industry-leading bundles – Princess Plus and Princess Premier. These packages are engineered to give guests the maximum experience with the maximum value.

A la carte pricing for MedallionNet Classic remains $24.99 per day for a single device plan and $44.99 per day for a multi-device plan. Consistent with the cruise brand’s relentless focus on personalized and hassle-free service, guests will not have to do anything different onboard to access the different services.

1 hour ago, startedwithamouse said:

Princess had a presser stating Max Wi-Fi would only be available with plus and premier.

FT. LAUDERDALE, Fla. (August 7, 2024) – Princess Cruises, the world's most iconic cruise brand, today announced the launch of MedallionNet Max, a new level of onboard Wi-Fi service that will meet the growing demands of today’s intensively digitally-connected travelers and continue to expand the market for cruise vacations. MedallionNet Max will be available exclusively in Princess Plus and Princess Premier packages.

MedallionNet Max will only be available in the brand’s industry-leading bundles – Princess Plus and Princess Premier. These packages are engineered to give guests the maximum experience with the maximum value.

A la carte pricing for MedallionNet Classic remains $24.99 per day for a single device plan and $44.99 per day for a multi-device plan. Consistent with the cruise brand’s relentless focus on personalized and hassle-free service, guests will not have to do anything different onboard to access the different services.

I already acknowledged I was not correct.  Mea culpa.  I will stand by my assertion that MN Classic is adequate for the OP’s requirements though.

• Like 1

Just now, BamaVol said:

I already acknowledged I was not correct.  Mea culpa.  I will stand by my assertion that MN Classic is adequate for the OP’s requirements though.

Unless they slow it down to the same Wi-Fi crew has. Wouldn't be surprised if they did this.

14 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Unless they slow it down to the same Wi-Fi crew has. Wouldn't be surprised if they did this.

I guess we wait for evidence or an announcement to that effect.

1 hour ago, startedwithamouse said:

Consistent with the cruise brand’s relentless focus on personalized and hassle-free service, guests will not have to do anything different onboard to access the different services.

If only that were true.  LOL

Edited by BamaVol
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jean-lynd said:

You can purchase WIFI for a 24 hour period for $30. If you purchase it in the middle of the day you would end up with 2 half days. I hope this helps!

Are you 100% sure of that? 

I have read it is $ 25.00 per day if you buy it for the entire cruise and $40 for one day. I have also read that it is not 24hrs...but only for a day.

I would love for it to be 24 hrs and have 2 half days instead of 1 day. Are you certain this is the case currently?

Thanks 🙂

1 hour ago, travelloverontario said:

Are you 100% sure of that? 

I have read it is $ 25.00 per day if you buy it for the entire cruise and $40 for one day. I have also read that it is not 24hrs...but only for a day.

I would love for it to be 24 hrs and have 2 half days instead of 1 day. Are you certain this is the case currently?

Thanks 🙂

The information I have was from 7 months ago so it may have changed