Just off QM2 it has really gone downhill in 2 years

ace2542

No chocolates in Samuels! No hors d'oeuvres of an evening in the Chart Room and no WHITE GLOVES WITH THE AFTERNOON TEA!!. Sorry for the capitals but what the actual hell is going on on that ship?!

We where last on 2022 and all 3 of the above where there. My father would have turned in his grave if he had seen that god rest him.

1 minute ago, ace2542 said:

No chocolates in Samuels! No hors d'oeuvres of an evening in the Chart Room and no WHITE GLOVES WITH THE AFTERNOON TEA!!. Sorry for the capitals but what the actual hell is going on on that ship?!

We where last on 2022 and all 3 of the above where there. My father would have turned in his grave if he had seen that god rest him.

I believe the relationship with Godiva ended some time ago from what I've read on here, Chart Room hasn't done canapes for some time on any ship. As for the gloves - this may be a temporary thing as Queen Anne is using gloves, but with the introduction of Queen Anne came a fleet wide update of uniforms for all crew. It may be this is still filtering through. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, DukeBeetle24 said:

I believe the relationship with Godiva ended some time ago from what I've read on here, Chart Room hasn't done canapes for some time on any ship. As for the gloves - this may be a temporary thing as Queen Anne is using gloves, but with the introduction of Queen Anne came a fleet wide update of uniforms for all crew. It may be this is still filtering through. 

Yet they wear the white gloves and the red uniforms when you board the ship? And what they can't make a 100 canapes a night?. And why did they end the relationship with Godiva. Google does not say.

Yet they wear the white gloves and the red uniforms when you board the ship? And what they can't make a 100 canapes a night?. And why did they end the relationship with Godiva. Google does not say.

I'm not saying they can or they cannot, I doubt very much anyone on this board can. You're looking for answers from Cunard. Perhaps send them an email or give them a call, they may be able to provide the answers to those questions.

• Like 2

I think there are changes are across the fleet not just QM2. There were no canapes served in Chart Room/Commodore Club on QA except for crisps/nuts. Also heard of no white gloves for afternoon tea on QA but TBH didn't notice. Not a great deal breaker for me not bothered about canapes when looking forward to a 5 course dinner and whether the waiters wear white gloves or not at afternoon tea is of no interest to me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

And why did they end the relationship with Godiva

Two possibilities - The contract with Godiva expired and Godiva did not want to renew it or it had become too expensive

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DukeBeetle24 said:

I'm not saying they can or they cannot, I doubt very much anyone on this board can. You're looking for answers from Cunard. Perhaps send them an email or give them a call, they may be able to provide the answers to those questions.

A call or email would get nowhere I don't think. I just think it is sad the way it has gone downhill. It's P&O doing 15-20 T/As a year without what stands it apart from P&O or other brands. I wonder why Carnival line are doing this?

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

I am sure like everything the contract ended on QM2 with Godiva and either Godiva didn't want to renew or Cunard didn't or more than likely came down to money like it always does.

• Like 1

I wonder why Carnival line are doing this?

Probably an attempt at recovering some of the massive losses that they have incurred or the old favourite "responding to customer demand"!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

A call or email would get nowhere I don't think. I just think it is sad the way it has gone downhill. It's P&O doing 15-20 T/As a year without what stands it apart from P&O or other brands. I wonder why Carnival line are doing this?

That's a little extreme of a reaction.

If you want to speculate on the reasons...

Godiva - end of the contract / relationship? Unprofitable? Unfavourable terms for renewal? 

Gloves - Change in policy (although they are being worn on the recent voyages)? Awaiting the new uniform? New gloves unsuitable and replacements being sourced? Issue with the laundry?

Canapes - excessive waste? additional work? new canapes in development? Change in policy to serve these only in the Grills lounge inbound?

They are three relatively small things, and a little research ahead of time would have informed you of two of those changes prior to boarding. 

• Like 8

I tapped on this thread to see what had happened since my June TA!  Given the subject title, I was expecting to read about filthy floors and dishes or plumbing out of commission and such.

Phew.  A missing chocolate.  I can stop panicking now.  Carry on.

• Like 21
  • Haha 6

11 minutes ago, david63 said:

Probably an attempt at recovering some of the massive losses that they have incurred or the old favourite "responding to customer demand"!

Spin is always amusing, but I am trying to imagine hoards of customers filling in satisfaction surveys saying please get rid of those white gloves, I hate not seeing fingernails, etc, and please stop those canapés, they are too tempting.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

From what I recall, the Godiva relationship ended about December 2022. It was there in October 2022 for sure, I've got a bill with Godiva marked on it. So my guess is that it ended at the end of 2022. That said, it never really recovered from the pandemic as far as I can tell.

On the other hand I think the evening savouries in the Chart Room may have returned, they are marked as such in the Daily Programme for the current Live thread from Trieste for QV at least.

Edited by Pushpit

8 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

I tapped on this thread to see what had happened since my June TA!  Given the subject title, I was expecting to read about filthy floors and dishes or plumbing out of commission and such.

Same here, I really hope those things didn't spoil your crossing @ace2542.

How was the ship ?

1 hour ago, david63 said:

They really need to cut the water and dry cleaning for all those white gloves. It's Cunard for pitysake the white gloves are the selling point the tradition. The old timers expect it even the new timers expect it.

@ace2542 We were on the crossing with you and still on board for the British Isles portion of the voyage. How was your dinner service? In Brittania, we had terrible service (received wrong items, waiters did not know/understand the menu, serving improperly, reaching across the table and not placing flatware that we needed) We are on fixed dining and our table has now been assigned new waiters that are somewhat better.

We have asked several waiters about their contracts and almost all are new. Breakfast and lunch service in Brittania has been very good and we have enjoyed those meals much more than dinner. 

We had a cocktail in the Chart Room one night and the server offered us "nibbles" but to our disappointment, never returned. We have been to Sir Samuels twice for coffee (extra charge) and pastries/desserts (which are included/not chargeable) and enjoyed it. 

Our room steward has been excellent. We have been to the Queens Room for tea once and enjoyed it. Kings Court is not for us. It is the most spartan cruise ship buffet we have ever experienced and we feel no joy there so will avoid it as much as possible for the rest of the voyage.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DukeBeetle24 said:

That's a little extreme of a reaction.

If you want to speculate on the reasons...

Godiva - end of the contract / relationship? Unprofitable? Unfavourable terms for renewal? 

Gloves - Change in policy (although they are being worn on the recent voyages)? Awaiting the new uniform? New gloves unsuitable and replacements being sourced? Issue with the laundry?

Canapes - excessive waste? additional work? new canapes in development? Change in policy to serve these only in the Grills lounge inbound?

They are three relatively small things, and a little research ahead of time would have informed you of two of those changes prior to boarding. 

There is are more cutbacks/missing things. Apparently the queens room dancing has really changed and might be less orchestra involved in that now. I never really paid that too much attention but that has changed. Only 2 formal nights I think before Covid 4 definately in 2016 4 nights.

And that 400th crossing NO merchandise of any kind no tea shirts, cups nothing. They have misssed out on a fortune on that. They have lost thousands and thousands over that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

They really need to cut the water and dry cleaning for all those white gloves. It's Cunard for pitysake the white gloves are the selling point the tradition. The old timers expect it even the new timers expect it.

I have never had views on it either way or even noticed it to be honest.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

White gloves make no difference to me whatsoever. Certainly don’t make or break a cruise. I never even noticed they were not being worn. 

• Like 6

There is are more cutbacks/missing things. Apparently the queens room dancing has really changed and might be less orchestra involved in that now. I never really paid that too much attention but that has changed. Only 2 formal nights I think before Covid 4 definately in 2016 4 nights.

And that 400th crossing NO merchandise of any kind no tea shirts, cups nothing. They have misssed out on a fortune on that. They have lost thousands and thousands over that.

I am sorry to hear your cruise has been so distressing. I am not defending Cunard in any way, merely stating the information available on some of these perceived issues.

I've seen many Queen Anne videos recently of Afternoon Tea being served with white gloves, so I assume your experience is an exception rather than the rule and the reason for the absence of gloves is one of the suggestions mentioned.

I also suspect some service issues will be a result of a growing fleet and crew training required to support four ships. Not that it should excuse Cunard in any way for providing poor service. 

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

the white gloves are the selling point

I bet you can count on one hand (with or without gloves) the number of passengers that cruise with Cunard because some waiters wear white gloves - 99.9% are probably totally oblivious to the fact.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

Cunard's release regarding the 400th crossing states it is intended, so I very much expect it was not a cutting back or removal. I don't think they ever claimed there would be merchandise, but I suspect if there were - people would complain they'd have to buy it rather than it be gifted.  

"To mark this extra special crossing, guests will be joined by some fascinating maritime historians. They’ll have the chance to attend talks and listen as experts share tales and anecdotes about the historic journey that Cunard ships have been making since 1840.

During the voyage, guests can enjoy themed celebrations, on top of the signature Cunard experiences that they can always count on. Sparkling Gala Evenings. Afternoon Tea served by white-gloved waiters."

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DukeBeetle24 said:

Afternoon Tea served by white-gloved waiters

That bit was missing. It's the tradition and that has gone away. Perhaps that will come back when I am on in 2 years time.

2 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Well, I'm glad you aren't panicking. But for some of us chocolate is SERIOUS business!!!!!

I was horrified one night on QM2 in 2022 when the pillow chocolate was a Hersheys Nugget instead of the Godiva I was expecting to find. Hersheys that I can buy in a supermarket????? Fortunately, the next night, the chocolate was one of the generic ones that say "With Compliments" on the wrapper. Not Godiva, but good enough that I didn't jump overboard. And to be fair, it was larger than the Godiva chocolates, which diminished in size over the years.

On QE in July, the chocolates were usually the ones with the Cunard wrapper, although there were a few of the generic. In the interest of research, I opened a generic one and a Cunard one and the chocolates inside were the same, with the same design on the surface. I don't mind the generic, but I do wish they'd offer dark chocolate. 

Also, I can report that on QE in July the servers at tea wore white gloves. 

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

That bit was missing. It's the tradition and that has gone away. Perhaps that will come back when I am on in 2 years time.

It may have not been present on your voyage, but it is not representative of Cunard removing it altogether when the rest of the fleet are still using them, and many others have provided reasons why they might not have been present for this occasion. 

I truly hope it's present for your voyage in two years time. 

• Like 1