Low carb alcoholic drink options on Carnival?

Normie22

So I have an upcoming cruise in April on the Carnival Mardi Gras and will be travelling with another couple, one of whom is diabetic. I know the bars offer beer and loads of sweet sugary mixed drinks however I was wondering do they have low sugar drink options such as Smirnoff Ice light or SVNS Hard Lemonade for example? See attached photos of these products for reference both of which have next to no carbs. 

IMG_6484.jpeg

IMG_6485.jpeg

• Like 1

I've been doing *very* low carb & sugar for a while now.  If you go to Alchemy and find a favorite bartender they will adjust their drinks to satisfy your needs.

They do a great job with making delicious drinks while cutting out the things you don't want.  They put simple syrup in many drinks, but, excellent alternatives were found for me.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Bob NC said:

They do a great job with making delicious drinks while cutting out the things you don't want.  They put simple syrup in many drinks, but, excellent alternatives were found for me.

I was able to get a low-carb mojito by substituting two packets of Equal for the simple syrup, and plain club soda for the soda of choice (ginger ale, sprite, whatever).  

• Like 1

They should have diet starry as a clear soda for mixed drinks. Most of the bartenders know how to make a skinny mojito or skinny margarita, but I had to go “fetch” some stevia packets when the red frog pub didn’t have any. My go to is practically straight bourbon disguised as an old fashioned with no simple syrup. There’s enough muddled fruit to give it some sweetness, but as fructose instead of sucrose, which for a lot of diabetics is OK in moderate amounts (YMMV).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lupster1 said:

You can get a vodka w/soda at almost any bar (on board or off). When I get tired of sipping on those, I squeeze a little Mio sweetener in it. Zero carbs. 

I was going to say this.  My go to is vodka diet but have also done the lemonade mio in a vodka water.  

Edited by Colorado Beach Bum
  • Thanks 1

Geez... all kinds of drinks.  Two of my favorites at home are whiskey & seltzer water, and vodka with seltzer water and a squeeze of lime.

Then there is always the standard Gin martini, bloody Mary, rum & coke(sugar-free), 

I believe they do have low-carb seltzers too. 

• Like 2

They carry seltzers (although I'm not sure if they're like High Noon which is vodka based or what), light beers like Michelob with low carbs, and of course you can always do two-ingredient drinks with zero carb mixers like Jack and Diet, Vodka Soda, 7 & Starry Zero, etc.

Ordering a Vodka Soda and squirting a little Mio in it is a neat idea. I like Jack and Diet a lot, that's my normal drink anywhere, so that's what I usually order.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mz-s said:

They carry seltzers (although I'm not sure if they're like High Noon which is vodka based or what), light beers like Michelob with low carbs, and of course you can always do two-ingredient drinks with zero carb mixers like Jack and Diet, Vodka Soda, 7 & Starry Zero, etc.

Ordering a Vodka Soda and squirting a little Mio in it is a neat idea. I like Jack and Diet a lot, that's my normal drink anywhere, so that's what I usually order.

They did have High Noon on Vista in April. Mio is great in vodka/soda - blueberry lemonade is my favorite.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Knights on the Beach said:

They did have High Noon on Vista in April. Mio is great in vodka/soda - blueberry lemonade is my favorite.

Oh good, the last time I was on Carnival I didn't notice High Noon - just the Thirsty Frog seltzer and I think Truly. I like High Noon.

• Like 1

Rum and diet coke or pepsi..God blessed the person who figured out you van make rum with zero carbs from sugar cane.

Flavored rum has lots of carbs. Now it does stress the liver but I am not a doctor. 

• Like 1

They have Michelob Ultra beer (<3 carbs), and Truly Hard Seltzer (2-3 carbs).  Those were my go-tos, but I also brought on light pineapple juice in small cans and would get a shot of Malibu from the bar and add it.

Clear liquors also, Grey Goose was another go-to that I added to the cans of coke zero I brought on board.  

Since being diagnosed with diabetes, I pretty much drink straight liquor, mostly Scotch.  But I also will do vodka and soda water with a lime and red wine, specifically Merlot, which is low in sugar/carbs.  And like others have said, you can use diet coke/Pepsi as a mixer 

2 hours ago, simplelife said:

I stand corrected. They do have several flavors of sparking water and Diet Starry.

I was actually hoping you were right!  LOL.  Love me a good vodka tonic, but would prefer not to have all the sugar.

• Like 1