No more Simply More

Jancruz

2 minutes ago, Rainbow3fe said:

I think you're missing the main reason that long time loyal Oceania cruisers are upset.  Everyone will get gratuities.  An Oceania Club perk was that If you have 10 or more Oceania cruises, they're gratis. A $250 per stateroom instead of these gratuities will be a loss of anywhere from $100 up to over $1000 depending on the length of the cruise. A 14 day cruise @ $18 × 2 × 10 = $360. Those of us who go on longer cruises will be losing even more $$.      The drinks, excursions and air credits are now defunct. I can accept those changes and move forward. The bottom line is that prices will go up dramatically 

@Rainbow3fe No, I did not miss your point.  I knew that would be an issue along with lots of other issues.  I knew it would be a feeling of disloyalty by those that really love the brand.  If it was not gratuities, it will be something else.  Like losing an old friend.

I had the same felling when I was so loyal to the NCL Haven and they started making changes.  it really made me feel like my loyalty was of no consequence to the brand.  To be even more honest, it hurt me that my loyalty was not truly appreciated.  

I did not miss your point.  I just realize I was wrong to think my loyalty meant something to a big company.  So I shifted my approach to simply not be loyal to any one brand, and focus more on my needs.  The realization that nothing will every be perfect but I had the ability through study to make it all it can be.  Shame really, I personally want my OLD HAVEN experience back.  You may want your OLD OCEANIA experience back.  But, these times they are changing and life is two short.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Rainbow3fe said:

The bottom line is that prices will go up dramatically 

That is the point.

When there was the move from OLife to SM, there was a price increase to take account of the new inclusions - the excursion credit, the drinks and, for folk in my part of the world, gratuities. That was absolutely fine with me - I understood O's marketing strategy.

Now, only a few months on, the new change reportedly keeps prices at that level, with no reduction for removing the excursion and drinks inclusions. And, unlike folk who currently receive free gratuities because of their Club level, those of us who receive them because of where we live, will not get any OBC (however small). So, effectively, prices are increased for Simply Less. 

• Like 4

The best thing to do is accept this is a price increase. Nothing more nothing less. All lines increase prices, and O is no exception. Accept it or move on and find another line. This whole thread is a colossal waste of time and energy, but I understand that some people just need to vent.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

this is a price increase. Nothing more nothing less

Had Oceania portrayed it as such, I doubt whether anyone would be objecting. But it didnt. It announced it as a response to customer demand and it being an improvement to their offer. Do I expect companies to be open and honest with their customers? No, I don't. But, as you suggest, I need to vent about it. As you find it a waste of time, I suggest you just move on from this thread and leave others to carry on the discussion. 

Edited by Harters
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Harters said:

Had Oceania portrayed it as such, I doubt whether anyone would be objecting. But it didnt. It announced it as a response to customer demand and it being an improvement to their offer. Do I expect companies to be open and honest with their customers? No, I don't. But, as you suggest, I need to vent about it. As you find it a waste of time, I suggest you just move on from this thread and leave others to carry on the discussion. 

My point is that those things are so insignificant they are not really worth it to make such a big deal out of them. If you think about it, gratuities are never more than 5-6% of the cruise cost even for the cheapest cruise in cheapest cabin. And for more expensive sailing in more expensive cabins, it's even less. If I can afford paying $10k for a cruise, I can certainty afford another $500. 

Lets just be grateful that we can afford those cruises and enjoy life! 

3 hours ago, Jayne E said:

New “Included Perks” list Vero sparkling or flat water. Looks like no longer offering Pellegrino or Perrier? Another cut back….albeit small.

I’m sure Perrier and Pellegrino will still be available in the restaurants as they were before (fingers crossed!).  I really dislike the Vero both still, and sparkling!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

I just realize I was wrong to think my loyalty meant something to a big company.  So I shifted my approach to simply not be loyal to any one brand, and focus more on my needs.  The realization that nothing will every be perfect but I had the ability through study to make it all it can be.  Shame really, I personally want my OLD HAVEN experience back.  You may want your OLD OCEANIA experience back.  But, these times they are changing and life is two short.  

Exactly our thoughts, and pretty much summarizes the whole thread.

If you select your cruise line based on the loyalty program, don't complain when the loyalty program changes and you lose some of your perks. Loyalty means NOTHING. Be loyal to your wife and your family, not to some corporate brand.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rainbow3fe said:

I think you're missing the main reason that long time loyal Oceania cruisers are upset.  Everyone will get gratuities.  An Oceania Club perk was that If you have 10 or more Oceania cruises, they're gratis. A $250 per stateroom instead of these gratuities will be a loss of anywhere from $100 up to over $1000 depending on the length of the cruise. A 14 day cruise @ $18 × 2 × 10 = $360. Those of us who go on longer cruises will be losing even more $$.      The drinks, excursions and air credits are now defunct. I can accept those changes and move forward. The bottom line is that prices will go up dramatically 

I really don’t think we are losing that money. It’s just money that those of us over 10 cruises have not had to pay. I’ve been Silver for over 20 cruises now, and I don’t like the new system, but I don’t see it that way. Were you Silver before Nov 2013? If not you’re really not losing anything. You’re actually gaining $250 on every cruise, instead of an occasional one. Now, if the cruise is as much or more than it was with the basic drink package and however much we got for excursions under Simply More then yes, it’s costing us more. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Exactly our thoughts, and pretty much summarizes the whole thread.

If you select your cruise line based on the loyalty program, don't complain when the loyalty program changes and you lose some of your perks. Loyalty means NOTHING. Be loyal to your wife and your family, not to some corporate brand.

@ak1004 Thank you for your kind words.  It is important to realize that many who are venting are doing so because they are in many ways hurt.  Their vision of loyal to a brand in the form of dollar/money spent is different from today's reality.  

That said, we all need a place to vent.  To express our emotions even if other don't agree with our point of view.  I learned a very long time ago, when you are emotional, you are NOT logical.  I agree with your statement, " I think many would agree with that.  But it is logical.  

The most important thing we can all do is research prior to purchase.  Look at your brand and outside your brand.  Our goal is to enhance our cruise vacation experience.  That is different to everyone one.  That is why cruise brands tend to be different.  Will there always be a certain level of disappointment, YES. It is the nature of cruising, brands and business.  I don't have to like it.  I just have to make sure I know what is available now, know the pros/cons and make a decision for me.  That said, Social Media is about every ones point of view and we all have to honor them but we don't have agree with them.  Just my two cents.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Loyalty means NOTHING. Be loyal to your wife and your family, not to some corporate brand

Never truer words in our world today. There is nothing sacred anymore in any product that we use in our daily lives.

• Like 2

Loyalty means different things to different people.  I enjoy what I get via many loyalty programs however I consider them discount programs and take it when given.  I never make a choice because of a loyalty program other than credit cards.  Even then if a great offer comes up why not take advantage.  Use your points or get your gift----For me I always buy for what right for me at the time of purchase, a cruise is no different.

If you don't think change happens, wait for the next--it will happen.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Other guest wanted these items included for their own reasons.  "Can't please everyone every time".  This NEW change which I am not sure yet if it is good or bad for the masses, seems to be coming from listening to the guest.  Or at least that what it is billed as on a recent article I read. The real test will come when the cruises are priced out and comparing them against the same cruise with Simply More.  That will be the next topic to be discussed over and over again. 

You're missing the point. I am one of those who didn't want the wine package included, and certainly didn't want to pay for it. The problem is that they're removing it and not reducing the price, according to comments from people who claim to know. The House Select beverage package costs $40 per person/day according to a website I just found. They're taking away that and the excursion credit and giving you gratuities, which are $18 a day. It's simple math to realize that this is not a good deal, and certainly not what folks like me were asking for. If cruise prices go down when this takes effect, it's a completely different story.

• Like 6

19 hours ago, Thought2go said:

The sale price was in effect the same week as my final. It was close and why I called O to clarify their policy before I paid final. When the savings was not refunded as stated by O- I figured it was the TA.

Seems like it was your TA's fault for not getting the price reduced before making the final payment. You never should have agreed to pay it before the price was fixed. Once it was paid, the only option was OBC.

27 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

It is important to realize that many who are venting are doing so because they are in many ways hurt.

Please don't presume what I might be feeling , without having a shred of evidence to support your opinion. 

I'm not hurt at a large corporation's profit seeking. That would be utopian silliness. I am peeved, though,  at the corporate decision. I was supportive of the introduction of SM (even though I don't drink alcohol) as I agreed with Oceania's public stance that a move to a more inclusive framework was the way forward. As the company said in its launch press release "The brand's new simply MORE value promise means travelers receive the greatest value in luxury cruising, with virtually everything they desire included in their voyage fare:" My experience with SM, earlier this year, was an improvement on our two previous cruises with OLife. 

It is disappointing that, only a few moths on before the change can have even had a chance to succeed with the public, it is being withdrawn. And, yes, I am peeved that O's offer to me appears to be pay the same price for Simply Less. 

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Harters said:

Please don't presume what I might be feeling , without having a shred of evidence to support your opinion. 

It is disappointing that, only a few moths on before the change can have even had a chance to succeed with the public, it is being withdrawn. And, yes, I am peeved that O's offer to me appears to be pay the same price for Simply Less. 

Excellent reply. Quite pompous to presume what others are feeling.  
The 3 pricing/amenities changes in approx. a year, with each resulting in Simply Less is not “hurtful” but rather poor management decisions, especially for loyal customers taking long cruises. A wash for newbies on 12 day or less cruises.
We do not cruise O based on loyalty program, however it is a factor when pricing other lines. Our 14 day free cruise was a very enjoyable perk….won’t be surprised if O raises requirement.  Have already reduced value of $150 spa credit for a massage several times. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Harters said:

I'm not hurt at a large corporation's profit seeking. That would be utopian silliness. I am peeved, though,  at the corporate decision. I was supportive of the introduction of SM (even though I don't drink alcohol) as I agreed with Oceania's public stance that a move to a more inclusive framework was the way forward. As the company said in its launch press release "The brand's new simply MORE value promise means travelers receive the greatest value in luxury cruising, with virtually everything they desire included in their voyage fare:" My experience with SM, earlier this year, was an improvement on our two previous cruises with OLife. 

So including alcohol at meals but not gratuities is considered "a more inclusive framework" than including gratuities but not alcohol?

Not to people like me who don't drink. 

7 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

So including alcohol at meals but not gratuities is considered "a more inclusive framework" than including gratuities but not alcohol?

Along with the alcohol and excursion deals, gratuities were also included for European customers. So, yes, absolutely more inclusive. I'm pleased that they are now extending that for North Americans. That, at least, is a progressive move. 

I also don't drink but did take occasional advantage of ordering an alcohol free beer or wine at meals. Makes a nice change from water now and again.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MisterBill99 said:

You're missing the point. I am one of those who didn't want the wine package included, and certainly didn't want to pay for it. The problem is that they're removing it and not reducing the price, according to comments from people who claim to know. The House Select beverage package costs $40 per person/day according to a website I just found. They're taking away that and the excursion credit and giving you gratuities, which are $18 a day. It's simple math to realize that this is not a good deal, and certainly not what folks like me were asking for. If cruise prices go down when this takes effect, it's a completely different story.

I did not miss the point. I just don’t have enough time in the day to outline everyone’s point. If the brand after they reprise doesn’t suit you or me or anyone else we simply choose another brand. That’s it. That’s my point.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Harters said:

I don’t presume anything. If I had a point, it was social media is for everyone, every position, and yes, even for people who want to vent.

That includes you and me and everybody else. If we don’t like it, we simply block the person or unfollowed that particular stream.

• Like 2

I will chime in one more time.

There is a cruise we have been considering for quite awhile … 14-days BCN to DUB on Sirena in May 2025 with overnights in Sevilla and Bordeaux. It is currently listed in the Category upgrade promo which ends September 30.

At our Loyalty level we would receive pre-paid gratuities … 14 x $36 = $504. If booked by October 1 under the SM program, we would also receive a $600 excursion credit and select beverage package @ 14 x $40 = $560.

If booked after October 1, we would receive $250 SBC.

Bottom line … $504 + $600 + $560 = $1,664 - $250 = a $1,414 USD loss.

After our upcoming TA from ATH to MIA this November, we will have sailed on 12 voyages and 247 nights with Oceania.

Summary …

Panama canal once in each direction,

Mediterranean from Athens to Trieste to Malta to BCN to LIS

Bordeaux, Pamplona, Bilbao, twice to Lisbon

Canary Islands, Casablanca, twice to Gibraltar

South America twice to BA and Ushuaia 

14 of the 16 eastern Caribbean islands,

Two times in western Caribbean,

Ketchikan to Seward twice, Hubbard glacier and Glacier Bay N.P.

30-days to Japan and Korea on Regent

Our last Oceania cruise will likely be the Barcelona to Dublin cruise. First 11 cruises were under O-Life with next under Simply More.

The new ‘Your World Included’ + reduced Loyalty perks will not be a good fit for us. We will be exploring the USA more.

As ‘Sthrngary’ says “Cruise well and enjoy every moment”.

Edited by ICT lineman
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, ICT lineman said:

I will chime in one more time.

There is a cruise we have been considering for quite awhile … 14-days BCN to DUB on Sirena in May 2025 with overnights in Sevilla and Bordeaux. It is currently listed in the Category upgrade promo which ends September 30.

At our Loyalty level we would receive pre-paid gratuities … 14 x $36 = $504. If booked by October 1 under the SM program, we would also receive a $600 excursion credit and select beverage package @ 14 x $30 = $420.

If booked after October 1, we would receive $250 SBC.

Bottom line … $504 + $600 + $420 = $1,524 - $250 = a $1,274 USD loss.

After our upcoming TA from ATH to MIA this November, we will have sailed on 12 voyages and 247 nights with Oceania.

Summary …

Panama canal once in each direction,

Mediterranean from Athens to Trieste to Malta to BCN to LIS

Bordeaux, Pamplona, Bilbao, twice to Lisbon

Canary Islands, Casablanca, twice to Gibraltar

South America twice to BA and Ushuaia 

14 of the 16 eastern Caribbean islands,

Two times in western Caribbean,

Ketchikan to Seward twice, Hubbard glacier and Glacier Bay N.P.

30-days to Japan and Korea on Regent

Our last Oceania cruise will likely be the Barcelona to Dublin cruise. First 11 cruises were under O-Life with next under Simply More.

The new ‘Your World Included’ + reduced Loyalty perks will not be a good fit for us. We will be exploring the USA more.

As ‘Sthrngary’ says “Cruise well and enjoy every moment”.

Actually I think the bottom line may even be a bit worse than what you outlined.  House Select is $40 per day and would be for 2, so just this part would be 14 x 40 x 2 = 1120. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

Actually I think the bottom line may even be a bit worse than what you outlined.  House Select is $40 per day and would be for 2, so just this part would be 14 x 40 x 2 = 1120. 

Good catch  👍

22 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I don’t presume anything.

If posting "many who are venting are doing so because they are in many ways hurt", is not an unevidenced and unfounded presumption, then I really don't know what might be. 

As for your later remark, are you really suggesting that either I should block you or you should block me?  That would be the height of silliness and I really am not going play that game with you. 

1 minute ago, Harters said:

If posting "many who are venting are doing so because they are in many ways hurt", is not an unevidenced and unfounded presumption, then I really don't know what might be. 

As for your later remark, are you really suggesting that either I should block you or you should block me?  That would be the height of silliness and I really am not going play that game with you. 

Thank you for your response. I love your country been their many time.  

• Like 1