What happens if my daughter is ill and can't come on our cruise?

ddvgww

I have booked and paid for a cruise in December for myself and my adult daughter.   She has chronic crohn's disease and sometimes this flares up unexpectedly and she has to go into hospital for a few days.  I really hope this doesn't happen but if it does flare up just as we're about to cruise what will happen to our booking?  Will Princess let me cruise solo in our twin cabin without charging me any more money?  I paid for us both and understand I can't claim on travel insurance as it is a pre existing condition and am fine with that but hate the thought of having to pay extra money.  My daughter would be happy for me to still go on the cruise without her as she has lots of family and friends for support and I have cruised alone a few times before and enjoyed it,

You inform Princess and then just board. Solo passengers pay double fare and single port charges. Solo passengers also pay only for one upgrade to the plus or premier fare. If you have one of the plus or premier fares you should be able to get that extra cost returned. 

• Like 1

Can you purchase Princess Vacation Protection (PVP) in Australia?

To claim PVP for - 

-  medical reasons - full refund on credit card

- Cancel for Any Reason - refunded as Future Cruise Credit less cost of PVP.

4 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

You'll pay the solo supplement one way or another. 

She'll be refunded port taxes and fees. 

I interpret this differently (from PVP):

This Cancellation Fee Waiver Program is an addendum to your cruise Ticket Contract. Through the Cancellation Fee Waiver Program, Princess Cruises and/or Princess Tours will waive their standard cancellation provision and refund to you IN CASH the otherwise non-refundable value of your prepaid cruise vacation, should you or your traveling companion need to cancel your cruise vacation for any one of the following reasons (subject to the restrictions noted below**):

1. sickness, injury or death to yourself, a traveling companion, or members of either of your immediate families which is diagnosed and treated by a physician at the time your cruise vacation is terminated;

Princess Cancellation Fee Waiver refunds are also provided if you are charged a change in occupancy/ single supplement charge as a result of your traveling companion’s cancellation due to one of the reasons cited above.

Not sure how pre-existing condition affects these clauses.

Edited by sultan_sfo

Aloha. First I wish all prayers for your daughters health. Second I would be in contact with Princess by email and telephone for record keeping purposes and your insurance carrier and credit card issuer. Maintain records every step of the way.  All the best.

14 minutes ago, Cdncruisecpl said:

I feel like the bigger question in my mind would be what happens if it flares up WHILE ON the cruise.  If it requires hospitalization for a few days, I don't think the ship is properly equipped to deal with it.

They're not. You'll be disembarked to have it treated on land.