Recent Explora 1 Experience

Cody-wody

I am actually enjoying the shows, especially when all 6 singers do the show together. 

I heard mixed reviews about anthology, not sure i should do it or not

Edited by Khareef
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, uktog said:

Boarding was so fast. From our hotel outside Piraeus to sitting outside the Emporium with a glass of fizz 29 minutes! 

And lovely how the crew recognise returning guests 

Wow, that has to be the record, well done.

My personal goal is always to get to the pool bar for a glass of champers by noon! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/12/2024 at 10:38 AM, chill6x6 said:

Well really, no it's not.  For example....I have cruised Star Class on Royal Oasis, Harmony, and Allure in a 2-BR Aqua Theater suite.  ….  So yes...you CAN have the conversation of luxury and huge ships!

So you’ve never actually cruised on a luxury class line then?

Luxury lines offerings embodies far more than a large cabin/suite eg dining, enrichment, decor and most importantly service 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Luxury lines offerings embodies far more than a large cabin/suite eg dining, enrichment, decor and most importantly service 

Yup it's the totality of the luxury experience that makes it luxury

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

No we haven't. I'm looking forward to seeing what Explora has to offer. We like some aspects of the big ships and of course they have their drawbacks. I get the appeal of small/boutique ships. But I can promise you Star Class is more than a large suite.  I'll be the first to sing Explora's praises if justified.  

46 minutes ago, chill6x6 said:

No we haven't. I'm looking forward to seeing what Explora has to offer. We like some aspects of the big ships and of course they have their drawbacks. I get the appeal of small/boutique ships. But I can promise you Star Class is more than a large suite.  I'll be the first to sing Explora's praises if justified.  

How did you like the show last night? 

Edited by Khareef

Last nights show really good. Singers in the Journey lounge really good. Entertainment manager really engaging. Compared to last year this entertainment is light years better and the manager is not trying to be the most Important person onboard 

• Like 4

I just cannot get over the whole pretentiousness of the Explora speak names for staff.  Do they actually call the Captain, the Captain or his he the Ultimate Experience Driver or some other moniker.

Dh and I are trying Explora for the first time in December. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, cruisr said:

I just cannot get over the whole pretentiousness of the Explora speak names for staff.  Do they actually call the Captain, the Captain or his he the Ultimate Experience Driver or some other moniker.

I just can’t get over the pretentiousness of cruise passengers who object to what EJ calls its crew members. Just like, I can’t believe Disney World still persists in calling its employees Cast Members. The height of silliness on their part. 😀

You can trust those of us who have sailed EJ; it’s perfectly acceptable to ask your favorite ‘bartender’ where he’s from. 😀

Edited by kelleherdl
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, cruisr said:

Just ignore and use cruise speak, not Explora drivel, everyone will understand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/11/2024 at 4:22 PM, Dr. Cocktail said:

If you're looking for a higer end cruise to keep kids entertained, it really has to be a larger ship with a "ship-within-a-ship" concept like the Haven or the Yacht Club as you've experienced. The vast majority of luxury cruisers (and this is a documented fact) still prefer a suite on a large ship as opposed to a smaller, luxury vessel.

As a luxury cruiser, you could not gift me a suite on MSC Yacht Club, Celebrity Retreat, etc.

A large, fancy suite with designated areas set aside for use does not make up for the overall mass market experience. 

Not sure where your "documetation" comes from but we can agree to disagree on this.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, caviargal said:

As a luxury cruiser, you could not gift me a suite on MSC Yacht Club, Celebrity Retreat, etc.

A large, fancy suite with designated areas set aside for use does not make up for the overall mass market experience. 

Not sure where your "documetation" comes from but we can agree to disagree on this.

My quote has been misconstrued and misinterpreted.  I have apologized for not finding the reference above but let's revisit my statement: The vast majority of luxury cruisers (and this is a documented fact) still prefer a suite on a large ship as opposed to a smaller, luxury vessel.

It's funny how I'm arguing "pro" for a product that I myself don't want to go on - I like my smaller ships!

But .... you and so many posters are falling into a trap:  We do not get to define luxury for anyone else but ourselves!

Who exactly is booking these suites on Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Virgin and the like at per diems rivalling and surpassing RSSC, Sebourn, Silversea and Explora?  The prices for the Retreat on Celebrity's E Class ships are staggering.

Are they budget cruisers? Are they low end? So what are they? In their own estimation they likely are "luxury cruisers".

The cruise lines themselves are categorized from budget to mass market to premium to luxury.

The individual passengers are much harder to pigeonhole.

Edited by Dr. Cocktail
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 9/12/2024 at 3:08 AM, cruisr said:

The no shade is a little concerning.  Actually, quite concerning.  We love sitting outside, but in the shade of an overhang or an umbrella.  We also love to dine outside, but in the shade.  Is there any outdoor dining which has shade?  

We did our first Explora cruise this past winter in the Caribbean. We loved everything except for the lack of shade in the pool areas which for us is a dealbreaker in hot-weather destinations. We were told that more shade might be added on future ships, but have no idea whether that has been done. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, commodoredave said:

We did our first Explora cruise this past winter in the Caribbean. We loved everything except for the lack of shade in the pool areas which for us is a dealbreaker in hot-weather destinations. We were told that more shade might be added on future ships, but have no idea whether that has been done. 

Depending on the position of the sun there is a side of the ship in the shade, walking to any pool when you want to refresh yourself shouldn’t be too much of an issue (for most people at least)??

And the pool on deck 11 has plenty of space under the lateral roof.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Khareef said:

Depending on the position of the sun there is a side of the ship in the shade, walking to any pool when you want to refresh yourself shouldn’t be too much of an issue (for most people at least)??

And the pool on deck 11 has plenty of space under the lateral roof.

Moving around the ship to fight for the few seats in the shade is not my idea of fun. Explora 1 has a paucity of pool seats in the shade and we know from experience that it is worse than other luxury lines we have sailed with.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2024 at 2:06 AM, Stickman1990 said:

You may be disappointed - I was talking to someone on board at the moment and they have told me the ships full on its current sailing

OK, so one person says half full for their voyage.  Someone on board says a full ship.  Can we all see how confusing that can be.  Because I believe everyone until I am proven wrong, It is hard to make a determination.  OR, maybe, each cruise is different from the next.  That is my experience. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

On 9/11/2024 at 8:31 PM, PaulMCO said:

Two tier systems are not luxury.  You still have huge crowds even if segregated in a separate deck or area -- Yacht Club, Haven, Grill or whatever it is still a big ship with huge crowds.  Not luxury in my mind. Even premium lines like Oceania and Azamara show more "luxury" than the big ships.

@PaulMCO I used to cruise the NCL Haven, Celebrity Retreat and MSC Yacht Club exclusively.  I was sold on "A-Ship-Within-A-Ship" concept.  UNTIL I went on a luxury ship. Totally different animal and I like it MUCH better in Premium-Plus (Oceania) or Luxury (Crystal).  Are their pros and cons.  Yep.  Do some like the SWAS better, Yep. 

If I never have to go on a ship with 4000-6000 people again, it would be my preference.  Been there and done that. But to each his own.  That is cruising.  

@PaulMCO I used to write all the time and have one of the largest read articles on Cruise Critic as it relates to the Haven.  I used to LOVE it.  As I got older, what I want now and what your are sharing is, The Haven, Yacht Club and Retreat experience for everyone on the ship, just not a few.  I no longer want to walk out of a VIP area and clearly be resented by others.  I no longer want to clearly see the difference in personalized attention when you leave these area.  SO, I could NOT agree with you MORE. But, I also thing again, to each his own.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 4