Extra tipping in Euro or US dollars on Mediterran cruise?

kazes2004

1 hour ago, gold1953 said:

both are good but with Euros the crew will have spend cash when they get a break on a port day

Thanks, that's what I was thinking as well...plus not having to exchange it first when on shore leave. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, kazes2004 said:

Thanks, that's what I was thinking as well...plus not having to exchange it first when on shore leave. 

I asked what day my cabin attendant is going out and give cash that morning and tell him/her to enjoy lunch

• Like 1

The crew will happily accept anything they receive.   They can have it converted and applied to their onboard account.   BTW - For most positions the person you give it to are required to turn it in to the pool for all staff members in the particular pool. . e.g. Dining Room Pool, Room Attendant Pool, Bar Tender Pool. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

The crew will happily accept anything they receive.   They can have it converted and applied to their onboard account.   BTW - For most positions the person you give it to are required to turn it in to the pool for all staff members in the particular pool. . e.g. Dining Room Pool, Room Attendant Pool, Bar Tender Pool. 

Wow I didn’t know this.  I always give my room attendant a generous tip.  They work so hard.  I’m disappointed that they don’t get to personally keep what I give to them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ILgirl said:

Wow I didn’t know this.  I always give my room attendant a generous tip.  They work so hard.  I’m disappointed that they don’t get to personally keep what I give to them.

Many of us are also disappointed.   When I give a gratuity I want to give it to the person who went above and beyond.   The philosophy is based on premise that there is a number of behind the scenes non-customer facing staff that support them in providing you service.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

My understanding was always that if you left the regular gratuities in place, the cabin stewards or butlers or whatever got to keep the extra cash you gave them.  Has that changed?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

WOW, is this something new?  It was my understanding that if you leave on the automatic gratuities and at the end of the cruise hand an envelope with something extra, they get to keep it.  

I thought if you removed automatic gratuities and gave them cash, they had to turn in any cash tips to the pool????

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Jim,

I hardly ever doubt you, but are you 100% sure this is true?  I would like to tip my room attendant extra but if he just turns it into the pool, I may change my mind.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Wineaux007 said:

It was my understanding that if you leave on the automatic gratuities and at the end of the cruise hand an envelope with something extra, they get to keep it.  

I thought if you removed automatic gratuities and gave them cash, they had to turn in any cash tips to the pool

This is my understanding as relates to the room steward. Dining room and bar staff pool with their respective DRs or bars. I'm not sure about butlers, but I think they keep for themselves.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RichYak said:

This is my understanding as relates to the room steward. Dining room and bar staff pool with their respective DRs or bars. I'm not sure about butlers, but I think they keep for themselves.

Bartenders at the Martini Bar and Sunset Bar, and the like, normally pool tips, so if we tip a certain bartender at the end of the cruise, it seems to always go into the tip jar.

• Like 1

I know that this has been mentioned before, but I bring it up again for those who weren't aware of the pooling situation.

We bring some Amazon gift cards when sailing on any ship making regular U.S. port stops.  For special and truly individual 'unpooled' tips, it's a good solution.  The cards can't be 'pooled', and allow the crewmember to shop online at their leisure.  Watch for the Amazon packages on the dock on turn day and you'll realize how popular online shopping is.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, canderson said:

I know that this has been mentioned before, but I bring it up again for those who weren't aware of the pooling situation.

We bring some Amazon gift cards when sailing on any ship making regular U.S. port stops.  For special and truly individual 'unpooled' tips, it's a good solution.  The cards can't be 'pooled', and allow the crewmember to shop online at their leisure.  Watch for the Amazon packages on the dock on turn day and you'll realize how popular online shopping is.

Great idea! Thanks

• Like 1