Jim_Iain - Live - comparison of Oceania Regatta - Vista Suite to Celebrity Millennium Royal Suite

Jim_Iain

8 hours ago, verizon said:

What take you so long to find out Celebrity is not up to par when compare to other upscale cruiseline ?

I can't wait for my first Queen Victoria cruise in January.

Could be another Zenith jump ship.LOL

I have to agree.   For us we thought giving up the Double Zenith perks would certainly be missed.   We initially decided because as an Upper Suite passenger we had lost all of our Zenith Benefits because we already had them with our room.    As a result of a discussion I had with Laura as well I am sure from other Zenith's they now have a discounted Zenith fare -   I think on our last booking it was on something like $500.

As I said to Iain.   Loyalty can only go so far then after you have an affair and taste the good life it may be time to end the separation and get a divorce.    Loyalty seems to be a one way street.

• Like 10

8 hours ago, chemmo said:

The strength of Jim’s reports are that he has the ability to provide facts plus express the ‘ambiance’ of a cruise experience…I am sure most of us following this will not only become educated about what O offers but what the cruise experience feels like…

I don’t know how well I have expressed what I mean but two separate sets of my friends tried Cunard earlier this year. One couple got off enthused about the cruise and the attention to detail the experience had offered. The other couple got off and described the experience as ‘too stuffy’….Jim’s narrative skills will hopefully empower us to have a ‘feel’ for what the full O experience is like….

As usual you expressed your feelings perfectly. 

I try to never tear down a cruise line nor other passenger.   We each experience a cruise differently.    We really don't use much of the Entertainment  offerings.   Just because we don't that can be a very important to other guests.

Speaking of that -   We may not attend any of the shows because they are at 8PM and we go to cocktails at 7:30 and dinner about 8:45.   I may run down one night and just take a look.   One thing I can report is they have a 4 piece quartet and we have listened to a number of their sets.... really good.

As fare as stage shows -  They don't have an orchestra so most of the music is piped in.    As for the entertainment staff they have about 4 dancers / singers and I believe they shop for multiple skills.    Due to the small entertainment staff there is only so much they can do.

I also noticed last night that the Entertainment staff that play piano etc also do things like trivia, shuffle board etc.   

• Like 5

3 hours ago, hawkesbaynz said:

Thanks for the insight Jim. We have enjoyed two Oceania cruises but much preferred the larger Marina to the smaller Sirena. Fantastic food. My main gripe would be that the evening show entertainment is aimed at 90 year olds. 

The Sirena was beautifully decorated. The Concierge (normal balcony size) cabin was fine and attractively decorated, with space under the bed for suitcase storage. The wardrobe a little small. Probably the smallest shower at sea and am advised that morbidly obese used the showers in the gym/spa. Okay for me 6'3" 210lbs

I would certainly consider further Oceania cruises as the itineraries are great. However just debarked the X Ascent which we thought was the best ship in our 18 cruises on six lines.

I have so much to learn about the various ships.    The shower in our suite is huge.  Could probably fit 4 men your size.    It has both a Rain Shower and Hand held.  It also has a nice marble bench for the ladies to sit down and shave their legs.   I guess a guy could also sit down but not sure for what.     I use it as a bench step to wash my feet.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I would stay away from the "too stuffy" crowd myself.  I like the ambience and don't want the extra noise.  I prefer a relaxed quiet vacation,  quiet MDRs, etc.  So far O is showing that.

We have mentioned that a number of time.   We go to Tuscana tonight for our first time.   BTW -  Specialty dining is unlimited and included for all passengers regardless of room.  The only difference is the upper  suites get earlier reservation access and 4 pre-cruise reservations.   Regular rooms get 2 pre-cruise reservations.    Once on the ship you can add more dependent on availability.

In both MDR and Specialty you can choose to dine at 2 Tops or shared Tables.   I understand shared tables in specialty are easy to obtain last minute while none shared are limited.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jelayne said:

For me it was a flashback to dinner at Grandparents.  Hands in lap, talk when spoken to and then very softly, and reminders to be careful to not break anything

im sure many enjoy the more formal ambiance, it’s just for me.

Hey....easy on the 'grandparents' 😉.....We're that!  😇.  I find the table setting formal in an 'old' way, as you say, but charming, especially the lamp. Even though I'm not 'young' in that sense I do like upscale 'everything', and the pics I've seen online of cabin furniture, carpets, etc are of a past life.....  Stuffy and dark comes to mind.  Have to remember some of O ships are renovated but not totally and keep that certain ambience which is palatable to some.  I'm wondering about Allura and Vista...they would be lighter and airier in most respects?

Edited by Oceangoer2
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, LouChamp said:

Aloha. I always enjoy reading Jim's posts and of course his pictures.  Have  been blessed to cruise since1971 and achieve top tiers on most cruise lines or close to top tiers. I enjoy the varied experiences by doing so and each voyage is always a different experience as a result. They each have their own unique character and Jim does a phenomenal job exposing and describing same. 

You say that perfectly.   That is what is so fun in doing a comparison.   Sometime it the little thing that make a difference that you would never think of.

Example:  In our room they have an alarm clock next to the bed.   Nice touch, but the little touch is that last night we turned our clocks back and when I returned to our room our Butler even adjusted the clock   BTW it is a nice little Brass and Crystal clock. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, hcat said:

When I saw the fancy China and dining room set up,  confirmed not for us!  But will enjoy following along..

The beauty on Oceania is you are not locked into eating in the MDR.   Definitely would not say it is stuffy in any way.   The staff are very rushed and have little time to chit chat but are very efficient and will do anything you wish if possible.

If not into a sit down with white table cloths (another difference fro Celebrity) you can choose to eat at the Buffet that have many of the items on the MDR menu.   I've chatted with some that eat most of their meals in the buffet.    I'll have to take a wander down there.    We enjoy really nice relaxed slow service.   I know others would be put off by that.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, chemmo said:

Now I felt a bit the opposite…One of the things that can annoy me a bit on Celebrity is my end of evening cognac coming in a tumbler. No big issue but I do like nice crockery and glassware.

Working in a French Restaurant the first thing Chef taught me was that 80% of the enjoyment and taste of a meal are the visuals the customer sees when the meal arrive. 

Attention to detail is very important as well as often in a drink like cognac is how it is served.   I guess that is the selling point of Ridel Glassware.   The proper glass is suppose to make all the difference.  

Are you able to ask for it to be served in the type glassware you enjoy?

• Like 8

2 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I think that lately Celebrity falls into the too casual group...  They have changed.

Another difference of Oceania.     The evening dress is resort casual every night.   They have no Chic or Formal nights at all.

I was surprised in the daily it said golf hats are ok to wear in all the restaurants for breakfast and lunch.   Haven't seen many at all.   

As far as dress I would say about 100% compliant with collared shirt for men and slacks with jacket and or sweater.    This is a cold weather cruise so may be different.   I've not seen anything that would offend me.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, jelayne said:

For me it was a flashback to dinner at Grandparents.  Hands in lap, talk when spoken to and then very softly, and reminders to be careful to not break anything

im sure many enjoy the more formal ambiance, it’s just for me.

LOL --- I can see that.    Actually the Versace is heavy restaurant ware.   One thing I like with the MDR - wood and drapery is that it seems to absorb sound.    I haven't seen a single person that was acting formal, stuffy or nose in the air. 

Another difference on this cruise is the Demographics --

Average age and I may be complimentary is about 70.    I've seen no children and only a couple of Scooters.   I would think it would be a difficult ship for a person with mobility issues.  Some of the doors to keep the wind down are almost impossible for some ladies to open up and none are equipped with ADA opening devices.

1 hour ago, chemmo said:

Your post just gave me a flashback…I remember my Great Aunts ‘Sunday best’ plates having little birds on the rim and trying not to get gravy on them! My Great Aunt was lovely though…she did make Sunday dinners special but never threatening or restrictive…Perhaps I quite like the crockery because it looks special as hers did unlike the rather mundane we had at home…

I guess I love to get nostalgic and love the days when Celebrity had Olympic which to me was the best dining at sea.    Compared to that trust me --- Oceania is more down to earth than Celebrity and really have loved the service, staff and guests.

One thing I am noticing is that with the table separation you are not given the same opportunity to engage with a table 12 inches from you.   If you want that you can request or accept a shared table.  

One thing I do miss is you don't have the same wait staff for the entire cruise.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

As many of you know who have followed our journeys -   Iain loves to sleep in while I get up around 7:00.   This is how I'm able to get caught up here on CC.    It is 9:15 (10:15 before the clocks went back) and I just finished my writing for the morning.

Hopefully I can get some pictures posted after we get internet back.   Even TMobile is only connecting at LTE speeds.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I guess I love to get nostalgic and love the days when Celebrity had Olympic which to me was the best dining at sea.     

Oh.... LOVED the Olympic and Normandie.....  truly was the best dining at sea at the time.  Murano is great, but still not even close to how wonderful those 1st specialties were on the M class ships.

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

last night we turned our clocks back and when I returned to our room our Butler even adjusted the clock  

We've never been in a Celebrity Cabin with an alarm clock provided by the ship.  Does such at thing even exist.  We get our ship's time from the TV.  We get our alarm from setting up a wake up call on the telephone, or from my iPad alarm clock 🙂 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

LOL --- I can see that.    Actually the Versace is heavy restaurant ware.   One thing I like with the MDR - wood and drapery is that it seems to absorb sound.    I haven't seen a single person that was acting formal, stuffy or nose in the air. 

Another difference on this cruise is the Demographics --

Average age and I may be complimentary is about 70.    I've seen no children and only a couple of Scooters.   I would think it would be a difficult ship for a person with mobility issues.  Some of the doors to keep the wind down are almost impossible for some ladies to open up and none are equipped with ADA opening devices.

I think the age group goes with the decor....our long time O cruising friends at our golf course are in their 80s and love everything about the line; they've been on all R ships many times over the years but do really like the new Vista.  BTW...said course had very similar furniture and coloring until this April....we paid for a major reno and it's so light and white and modern now while being comfortable .  The difference is stunning.  They still have lamps on dining tables but they're the battery type not plug ins.  Also, thanks for the info re 'scooters'....my DH has a mobility problem and will use one for the first time this Nov.  Considering O but maybe the new ships have addressed that with the auto door opening feature.  Enjoying following along....made 'our' chicken recipe yesterday....loved it!  Found it online and it's word for word your post.  Sorry to jam in an answer to some of the topics you've covered, but just catching up.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Hey....easy on the 'grandparents' 😉.....We're that!  😇.  I find the table setting formal in an 'old' way, as you say, but charming, especially the lamp. Even though I'm not 'young' in that sense I do like upscale 'everything', and the pics I've seen online of cabin furniture, carpets, etc are of a past life.....  Stuffy and dark comes to mind.  Have to remember some of O ships are renovated but not totally and keep that certain ambience which is palatable to some.  I'm wondering about Allura and Vista...they would be lighter and airier in most respects?

Grandparents here also.  But have always preferred clean, modern and minimalist decor.  I inherited my grandparents china and it has never been out of the boxes since I got it over 45 years ago. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

The beauty on Oceania is you are not locked into eating in the MDR.   Definitely would not say it is stuffy in any way.   The staff are very rushed and have little time to chit chat but are very efficient and will do anything you wish if possible.

If not into a sit down with white table cloths (another difference fro Celebrity) you can choose to eat at the Buffet that have many of the items on the MDR menu.   I've chatted with some that eat most of their meals in the buffet.    I'll have to take a wander down there.    We enjoy really nice relaxed slow service.   I know others would be put off by that.

Yes and I recall on one or more of our O cruises they served the same lobster tail in the buffet as was being served in the MDR.  As many as you like.  Not so on our most recent cruise X cruise I recall.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

I am not a "fancy" person but I thought the dinnerware that @Jim_Iain posted was lovely and elegant.  

+1.  Very nice indeed, and a positive indicator that they're probably not skimping elsewhere.  Guessing Jim will be showing us more examples of this as we travel along with him on this new journey.

Best not to let ones childhood memories spoil experiences in the present. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Working in a French Restaurant the first thing Chef taught me was that 80% of the enjoyment and taste of a meal are the visuals the customer sees when the meal arrive.

Surprising how many folks these days are in the "But it doesn't change how the food tastes" camp.  While true, presentation, as your chef observed, is part of the art of cooking.  Seems Oceania still believes it's a part of the experience worth preserving.  Liking this more and more as your posts continue.

You've got me looking at their 22 nt WB TA on Marina for 2025 now.  Super itinerary!

And YES, I remember well gooey, yummy, sticky buns of the past.  I think some spoilsport public official must have knocked them off the food pyramid  back in the 1980s!

• Like 3

On 9/14/2024 at 11:24 AM, Jim_Iain said:

Mine tasted great but the chicken I bought was really tough.  

Tough chicken is becoming a real issue. We keep upping our quality choice but it seems to be an industry issue.

On 9/14/2024 at 11:40 AM, Jim_Iain said:

By the way we both cook but very different.   Iain is a baker and follows recipes to the letter.  Very important if you are a baker. 

I hate baking but was trained as an Assist Chef in a French Restaurant.    I tend to cook French but eliminate / replace Butter and Creams with other things.    I usually start with a receipt but usually modify it.    Surprisingly I mad the chicken exact to recipe even exact measurements. 

What an amazing life you two have lived.

11 hours ago, chemmo said:

The strength of Jim’s reports are that he has the ability to provide facts plus express the ‘ambiance’ of a cruise experience…I am sure most of us following this will not only become educated about what O offers but what the cruise experience feels like…

I don’t know how well I have expressed what I mean but two separate sets of my friends tried Cunard earlier this year. One couple got off enthused about the cruise and the attention to detail the experience had offered. The other couple got off and described the experience as ‘too stuffy’….Jim’s narrative skills will hopefully empower us to have a ‘feel’ for what the full O experience is like….

Agree 100%.

• Like 3