Tablecloths?

janny444

I know it is a fairly unimportant question but are there still tablecloths in the MDR at dinner....and possibly lunch/breakfast ? If there are tablecloths are they on all the ships in the P&O fleet.

I don't expect tablecloths in the more casual " eateries " but I do love a tablecloth....preferably white....with cotton napkins and shiny wine/water glasses ....a well dressed table for the occasion  🙂  

19 minutes ago, TigerB said:

As @Gettingwarmer writes, on Arvia the only MDR with tablecloths is Zenith.  I think the bean counters may have thought that making Meridian resemble a 'Spoons would be more appealing to some of the guests.😉

Only they have the tablecloths as they use them on formal nights. So not saving that much.

41 minutes ago, TigerB said:

I think the bean counters may have thought that making Meridian resemble a 'Spoons would be more appealing to some of the guests.

Or they simply wanted to make the restaurant look less old fashioned.

It is a rare restaurant that has tablecloths these days, and that isn't just the pubs you might be familiar with, but also restaurants with Michelin stars.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, 9265359 said:

It is a rare restaurant that has tablecloths these days, and that isn't just the pubs you might be familiar with, but also restaurants with Michelin stars.

Quite agree. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 9265359 said:

Maybe, but fine restaurants will have solid polished wooden tables, whereas cruise ships probably have veneered tables or possibly laminate ones.

• Like 2

Yes, they couldn't really have polished wooden tables could they.  They would get ruined.   Our tablecloth comes off when we have people for dinner, and there's nothing like a real wooden table with crystal glasses and red napkins.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, daiB said:

Only they have the tablecloths as they use them on formal nights. So not saving that much.

Our ' Spoons' doesn't have formal nights and has gingham table cloths, but not for afternoon tea. Spoons is getting like Butlins on high street, not posh like that P&O.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, daiB said:

Perhaps that's why there is only one formal night a week on Arvia. Table cloth budget cuts.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Maybe, but fine restaurants will have solid polished wooden tables, whereas cruise ships probably have veneered tables or possibly laminate ones.

Some might, but not all - certainly the Michelin star restaurant I was in last week didn't.

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

Yes, they couldn't really have polished wooden tables could they.  They would get ruined.   Our tablecloth comes off when we have people for dinner, and there's nothing like a real wooden table with crystal glasses and red napkins.

We regularly use a table cloth when dining.  Every Christmas without fail, out comes the one with the little Robins sitting on Santa's finger. Other than that, strangely, our table cloth only goes on when we have folk for dinner. We use the old company coasters to stand the cans of ready made cocktails on. Don't want to leave a mark..won't need to wash it then.

4 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

Some might, but not all - certainly the Michelin star restaurant I was in last week didn't.

We will pop up to the pub for lunch today. As its BOGOF Thursday they may not get the table cloths out.

4 hours ago, zap99 said:

Our ' Spoons' doesn't have formal nights and has gingham table cloths, but not for afternoon tea. Spoons is getting like Butlins on high street, not posh like that P&O.

Spoons with table cloths????? You must live in a posh area. We have spooned all over the place and never had it so posh.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, pennib said:

If you like tablecloths, napkins and sparkling glassware and cutlery , why not try Marella. You get this in the MDR for all meals. One of the things we like about the line🤗

Oh if only we could...my hubby can't fly any more so we have to board ship in this country....Marella used to have no fly cruises...we enjoyed the Discovery 

We invariably use a table cloth but the napkins only come out if we have guests.  On the odd occasion that we have visited Wetherspoons I don't think that I have ever seen a table cloth and most of the places where we eat out don't use table cloths, just placemats to put hot dishes on.

Edited by Josy1953

2 hours ago, bobstheboy said:

One of our nearby pubs has tablecloths in the restaurant area and it is a pleasant change to eat out in nice surroundings.

Yes...I think it adds to the sense of occasion...lovely white tablecloth etc. I take the point that ",higher class" eateries with solid wood tables that are " well dressed" is good.

I have never seen tablecloths in Wetherspoons but wouldn't expect to...their strong point is "sticky"..but hopefully clean...varnished tables