Information needed on Panama Canal/ Colon Stop

neilrr

Hi Everyone:

I am on the Celebrity Beyond on the March 17th Cruise.  I am a little confused and have yet to get a straight answer re: the Panama Canal stop.

We are scheduled to to get to the Panama Canal on Friday March 21 from 6AM-3PM.  Celebrity shows multiple excursions and then the ship appears to meet them in Colon from 5PM -9PM on March 21st. Would you be missing going through the canal which is the highlight of the trip by going on the excursion?

The following day is a sea day and I assume we are going back through the canal, as we are going on to Bonaire and Aruba.

I would really appreciate if my Cruisecritic friends can shed some light on this for me.

Thank you so much.

Neil

Edited by neilrr

I agree with you... the highlight is going thru the lock. I will describe our March 2023 Edge canal/Colon experience. We did not book an excursion because we had done one on our 2017 trip and stayed on the ship. Since you are arriving on Beyond you will transiting the first and only the first lock of the new Canal which is comprised of 3 separate gates/lifts. From memory I think you are lifted about 27meter/85feet. Be prepared to get up early if you want a spot on an open deck. We had a Sky Suite so we watched from our deck. For us the the sun had not yet risen and it was very foggy to start but that burnt of pretty quickly. You can see the first lock of "old 1900's" in the distance.  After getting thru the 3 lift you will arrive in Gatun Lake and only go a few hundred meters from the lock and you remain there until about 3:00PM where the Beyond will do a 360 spin and back thru the first lock into the Atlantic side. If you choose to take an excursion a tender will take you to shore which is close by and you will meet back up with the ship via bus at Colon.  If you stay on Ship do not get off at Colon, I did but they really did not want me to. I just wanted to get a couple photos and was not allowed to enter the port buildings.

Hope this help?

Regards,

Kevin Reid 

20 minutes ago, FRMPEI said:

I agree with you... the highlight is going thru the lock. I will describe our March 2023 Edge canal/Colon experience. We did not book an excursion because we had done one on our 2017 trip and stayed on the ship. Since you are arriving on Beyond you will transiting the first and only the first lock of the new Canal which is comprised of 3 separate gates/lifts. From memory I think you are lifted about 27meter/85feet. Be prepared to get up early if you want a spot on an open deck. We had a Sky Suite so we watched from our deck. For us the the sun had not yet risen and it was very foggy to start but that burnt of pretty quickly. You can see the first lock of "old 1900's" in the distance.  After getting thru the 3 lift you will arrive in Gatun Lake and only go a few hundred meters from the lock and you remain there until about 3:00PM where the Beyond will do a 360 spin and back thru the first lock into the Atlantic side. If you choose to take an excursion a tender will take you to shore which is close by and you will meet back up with the ship via bus at Colon.  If you stay on Ship do not get off at Colon, I did but they really did not want me to. I just wanted to get a couple photos and was not allowed to enter the port buildings.

Hope this help?

Regards,

Kevin Reid 

Kevin:

Thank you for your in depth reply. I assume you did not do the whole canal either. Is the folowing sea day the same as the first if we want to do an excursion in Panama? We will be heading to Aruba and Bonaire. 

Neil

Right! 2023 we only did the first lock. The Panama Canal complete transit from ocean to ocean is 3 locks your cruise will only be the first lock. Your stop in Colon Panama is only for a few hours then your next sea day will be a cruise to your next port of call. Your only option for a Panama excursion is the day your come into Gatun Lake and tender to shore for your excursion and then a bus drive back to Colon to meet the ship.

A side note back into 2017 we stopped at Colon and did a ship excursion of the canal. How this worked was we boarded a bus in Colon drove/toured to the Gatun lake which is in between the 1st and 2 lock. We boarded a tourist boat and that carried a least 100 people and then transited the 2nd and then the 3rd canal and landed on the Pacific Ocean side. So between 2017 and 2023 we have officially done a complete transit of the canal. (2017 2 old locks 2023 1 new lock)

Regards,

Kevin Reid

1 hour ago, FRMPEI said:

Right! 2023 we only did the first lock. The Panama Canal complete transit from ocean to ocean is 3 locks your cruise will only be the first lock. Your stop in Colon Panama is only for a few hours then your next sea day will be a cruise to your next port of call. Your only option for a Panama excursion is the day your come into Gatun Lake and tender to shore for your excursion and then a bus drive back to Colon to meet the ship.

A side note back into 2017 we stopped at Colon and did a ship excursion of the canal. How this worked was we boarded a bus in Colon drove/toured to the Gatun lake which is in between the 1st and 2 lock. We boarded a tourist boat and that carried a least 100 people and then transited the 2nd and then the 3rd canal and landed on the Pacific Ocean side. So between 2017 and 2023 we have officially done a complete transit of the canal. (2017 2 old locks 2023 1 new lock)

Regards,

Kevin Reid

But do you go back through the lock on the following sea day? Do you see the same thing?  Do you feel it is worthwhile to do an excursion day one if we are going back through the lock day two?

Thank you.

Neil 

You go in/out the same day.   The way the canal works is everyone from the East and West coasts enters the locks in the morning and  transits into Gatun lake.  Then in the afternoon all ships are queued to go thru the locks to exit.  This has to be done as the cut on the west side of the canal is only wide enough for one ship.  Ships can pass each other.

So about 3 pm the ship will go from Gatun Lake exit via the locks and then dock at Colon for excursion to rejoin the ship.

When the ship departs Colon that night you will be heading to the next port.  You will only be at the canal 1 day.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, neilrr said:

But do you go back through the lock on the following sea day? Do you see the same thing?  Do you feel it is worthwhile to do an excursion day one if we are going back through the lock day two?

Thank you.

Neil 

You do not enter the locks again. 

In the AM you will go thru 3or 4 locks (cant remember excact #), the ship then sails into Lake Gatun, where it stops and all the  Excursion People get off via tender boats to go to shore. The Ship then turns around and goes back thru the Locks it came from. It will sail to Colon where later in the day the Excursion People will rejoin the Ship and from there it sails to the next Port. 

There are NO 2 days in or close to the canal. so if you want an Excursion book it for that day. Only Excursion People are allowed of the Ship in Lake Gatun

• Like 1

7 hours ago, neilrr said:

Hi Everyone:

I am on the Celebrity Beyond on the March 17th Cruise.  I am a little confused and have yet to get a straight answer re: the Panama Canal stop.

We are scheduled to to get to the Panama Canal on Friday March 21 from 6AM-3PM.  Celebrity shows multiple excursions and then the ship appears to meet them in Colon from 5PM -9PM on March 21st. Would you be missing going through the canal which is the highlight of the trip by going on the excursion?

The following day is a sea day and I assume we are going back through the canal, as we are going on to Bonaire and Aruba.

I would really appreciate if my Cruisecritic friends can shed some light on this for me.

Thank you so much.

Neil

Neil,

We are on that same cruise and I had the exact same question.  Good information provided by all.

Jeff

The issue of scenery has been mentioned, but it now is clear to our OP that this ship will enter the canal using one set of locks and then the same day exit.  No two days in the PC.  

We have done six full Panama Canal transits with number seven booked for next year.  The scenery on the Pacific side is very different than the scenery in Gatun Lake.  While not every one has the time to do a full transit these brief "tastes" of the canal are just that -- a brief taste.  

16 hours ago, jbcallender said:

Neil,

We are on that same cruise and I had the exact same question.  Good information provided by all.

Jeff

Look forward to meeting you on the cruise at Sail Away

Neil

Thank you all for the wonderful and informative answers I was looking for.

In this case, it sounds like I would want to stay on the ship and go through the canal, as that is what we are coming for.😁 I have been on over 40 cruises and this was one of the very few times I had trouble getting a straight answer on the itinerary . This is why I love CruiseCritic.

Hope to see you all on a future cruise.

Neil

10 minutes ago, neilrr said:

Look forward to meeting you on the cruise at Sail Away

Neil

Thank you all for the wonderful and informative answers I was looking for.

In this case, it sounds like I would want to stay on the ship and go through the canal, as that is what we are coming for.😁 I have been on over 40 cruises and this was one of the very few times I had trouble getting a straight answer on the itinerary . This is why I love CruiseCritic.

Hope to see you all on a future cruise.

Neil

Not sure you've got it yet, Neil.

Your last post made it sound as though you would miss the locks experience if you book an excursion.  That's not the case.  If you do stay aboard, you'll go through the same locks twice (once 'up', once 'down').

There are three traditional and different 'Panama' options when cruising:

1) Bump and Run - the ship docks outside the locks in Colon and you don't go through them.  Excursions begin and end at the Colon docks.

2) In and Out (your cruise does this) - the ship transits the Gatun locks near Colon and enters Gatun Lake.  You get the full experience of going from the Atlantic, through the locks, and into Gatun Lake.  All passengers who wish to do so then get off the ship for excursions.  Alternately, you can stay aboard at this point.  Later, the ship returns back through the locks from which it came, and parks at the docks in Colon.  At the end of your excursion, if you took one, you're delivered back to Colon to board the ship.  So you can either stay aboard and go back through the same locks, or take an excursion and meet the ship outside the locks.

3) Full Transit - the ship comes in either from the Atlantic (Gatun locks), spends time in Gatun Lake, and exits to the Pacific (Miraflores locks), or the other way around.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, canderson said:

2) In and Out (your cruise does this) - the ship transits the Gatun locks near Colon and enters Gatun Lake.  You get the full experience of going from the Atlantic, through the locks, and into Gatun Lake.  All passengers who wish to do so then get off the ship for excursions.  Alternately, you can stay aboard at this point.  Later, the ship returns back through the locks from which it came, and parks at the docks in Colon.  At the end of your excursion, if you took one, you're delivered back to Colon to board the ship.  So you can either stay aboard and go back through the same locks, or take an excursion and meet the ship outside the locks.

This is the most helpful explanation I've seen of how this itinerary works. The details on Celebrity's web site are useless.

I'm on Beyond on Feb. 24 sailing, which also includes Panama canal.  I chose to do a ship excursion to Panama City since I figure it may be the only time I ever get to go there.  But knowing that I will still get half of the "canal locks experience" is more than sufficient.

Thank you for the information.

1 minute ago, TheHawk1 said:

This is the most helpful explanation I've seen of how this itinerary works. The details on Celebrity's web site are useless.

I'm on Beyond on Feb. 24 sailing, which also includes Panama canal.  I chose to do a ship excursion to Panama City since I figure it may be the only time I ever get to go there.  But knowing that I will still get half of the "canal locks experience" is more than sufficient.

For you, it will be a bit of a good news / bad news situation unless you're in a suite.  The E class ships don't have the interior space that other ships use as an indoor forward observation lounge (e.g., S class Sky Observation Lounge, M class Reflections Lounge), nor public outdoor space (e.g., S class Solstice Deck, or M class open deck). 

The forward space on E class is

Deck 14 = spa area

Deck 15 = gym

Deck 16 = Luminae restaurant

Deck 17 = Retreat sun deck

So the suite pax definitely get the best/most forward viewing space, and what's left can get pretty tight.  I don't know of Celebrity makes exceptions for non-suite access on canal days or not.  I don't even know if they move the tables back to make viewing better in Luminae for anyone, or equipment in the Fitness Center (gym).

So, if like most people, you're interested in seeing the approach from a forward position, you'll want to do some planning while aboard ahead of your arrival at Panama.  I'd ask early while aboard, and whatever you get for advice, be prepared to be up early on the morning of your arrival to find yourself a spot.

We've not yet been through the 'new locks', so you'll have had an experience that would be new for us.  All of our Panama runs have been on 'Panamax' ships through the old locks.  Beyond is about 25' too wide to make it into the old locks!

One more bit of advice.  There's a positively BRILLIANT book about the creation of the canal called "The Path Between the Seas", written by David McCullough.  We were most fortunate to have had him aboard for one of our full Panama transits.  Between the medical, financial, political and engineering hurdles, it's a wonder it ever happened.  Still in print and well worth a read.  It does not cover the engineering of the new locks, though, having been written before their completion, and sadly, McColllough died in 2022.  This book will set the stage for your visit, allowing you to appreciate it more than you might otherwise.

https://www.amazon.com/Path-Between-Seas-Creation-1870-1914-ebook/dp/B002FK3U4Q

or wherever you prefer to get your reading material.

53 minutes ago, TheHawk1 said:

Thank you canderson for your solid explanation.  I do agree with TheHawk1 - the information from Celebrity (who I also spoke with) could not explain exactly how the itinerary worked. At least I know I am not alone and crazy after taking over 40 cruises around the world.

Thanks again for all your assistance. 

We will be on the same cruise.  We booked this tour.   It takes you to the Pacific 

Destination Highlight: Panama Canal Locks and Culebra Cut Cruise

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

7 hours ago, canderson said:

For you, it will be a bit of a good news / bad news situation unless you're in a suite.  The E class ships don't have the interior space that other ships use as an indoor forward observation lounge (e.g., S class Sky Observation Lounge, M class Reflections Lounge), nor public outdoor space (e.g., S class Solstice Deck, or M class open deck). 

Deck 14 = spa area

Deck 15 = gym

So the suite pax definitely get the best/most forward viewing space, and what's left can get pretty tight.  I don't know of Celebrity makes exceptions for non-suite access on canal days or not.  I don't even know if they move the tables back to make viewing better in Luminae for anyone, or equipment in the Fitness Center (gym).

So, if like most people, you're interested in seeing the approach from a forward position, you'll want to do some planning while aboard ahead of your arrival at Panama.  I'd ask early while aboard, and whatever you get for advice, be prepared to be up early on the morning of your arrival to find yourself a spot.

We've not yet been through the 'new locks', so you'll have had an experience that would be new for us.  All of our Panama runs have been on 'Panamax' ships through the old locks.  Beyond is about 25' too wide to make it into the old locks!

One more bit of advice.  There's a positively BRILLIANT book about the creation of the canal called "The Path Between the Seas", written by David McCullough.  We were most fortunate to have had him aboard for one of our full Panama transits.  Between the medical, financial, political and engineering hurdles, it's a wonder it ever happened.  Still in print and well worth a read.  It does not cover the engineering of the new locks, though, having been written before their completion, and sadly, McColllough died in 2022.  This book will set the stage for your visit, allowing you to appreciate it more than you might otherwise.

Thanks again for the tips. I am fortunately in a suite for this particular cruise, so will make sure to get the most out of the viewing perks for Retreat guests.

7 hours ago, miched said:

We will be on the same cruise.  We booked this tour.   It takes you to the Pacific 

Destination Highlight: Panama Canal Locks and Culebra Cut Cruise

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Have taken this tour twice on partial transits in the past.  Well worth doing because it will go from Gatun Lake through the old locks to the Pacific side in a smaller boat, with a bus ride back to the ship.  Don't think Beyond will fit in the old locks and you will miss seeing the mules centering the ships and the original lock gates.  New locks use sliding gates, tugs to position ships, and are in a big flat area - not as impressive.

Sea day after Colon is because it is a LONG way to Aruba from there.  No guarantee when you leave Colon, either.  Depends on when all the tours get back.

On 9/13/2024 at 2:40 PM, canderson said:

Deck 14 = spa area

Deck 15 = gym

Thank you for this information.  However, we are doing this same cruise on the Beyond in a Sunset veranda.  Would you happen to know if the rear of the ship in a Sunset veranda is a good location to view the canal when we are passing through in the morning?

3 minutes ago, kebrown said:

Thank you for this information.  However, we are doing this same cruise on the Beyond in a Sunset veranda.  Would you happen to know if the rear of the ship in a Sunset veranda is a good location to view the canal when we are passing through in the morning?

Honestly, I preferred the forward view, but we had an aft cabin (much like your Sunset Veranda) on an M class ship on one of our full transits, and that's pretty cool, too.  The best aft view would be from one of the Sunset Sky Suites where you could look 'around the corner' a bit.

I'd give you the advice that I gave the fortunate @TheHawk1 but that wasn't needed ... get some advice as soon as you board, and plan to execute it early on the day of arrival.  We've never done a Panama run on any E-Class, and will be curious to see how others manage it that don't have Retreat privs up front.  Hope you and others let us know.