Jim_Iain - Live from Oceania Regatta - September 14 Vancouver to Los Angeles

Jim_Iain

5 hours ago, Redking said:

Brings back memories of our New Year in SF. Couldn't believe the smell of dope when we went to the Haight. Added to the whole experience. Nearly had a heart attack when a Christmas Tree discarded on the pavement "took legs" and walked along beside us. Clearly the locals enjoy scaring the ***** out of the tourists. That was a fabulous holiday.

That tree guy is a legend.  

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, lj77346 said:

From our experience, butlers never met us when we were in a penthouse, so maybe the meet and greet is for higher level suites.

In response to your question, the LJ in our user name stands for Larry and Janet.  We hope you continue to find the Regatta very enjoyable.

Thanks.  I was thinking that having butlers to meet all the Penthouse would be difficult.   When we checked in, I noticed the agent paging someone.  

So far love Regatta.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

We live north of SFO by about an hour…...we now only go there for SF Giants games via ferry, Warriors games, and Dr appts. Back in the day, it was a lovely city to go shopping, dining, walking. I worked in the City in 80’s, then moved on in my career, and remained having clients there -  the decline started progressing, and it seems worse post COVID. It’s such a shame as architecturally, geographically it could still be the beauty it once was. I suppose, the same can be said for many major cities. 

The bus tours will show the highlights of the city. There remain  great restaurants, The Bay,  beautiful neighborhoods - Jim/Ian,  you lived in one of the finest. Having lived there, you know it better than most for sure where to go, and not go. 

I do not know what they are offering for excursions. If some on board love nature, Muir Woods is a beautiful National Monument  north of the Golden Gate Bridge (fun to walk across the bridge if you’ve never done). We have another Redwood State park closer to where we live, and it never gets old walking the trails amongst the Giants. They truly are spectacular if that type of day is of interest. 

Haven’t been to Astoria for years, but it was lovely as well, in such a very different manner. 

Have a fantastic journey. I appreciate the time you are taking to share your experiences on Oceania with all of us! 

Times have definitely changed.  We usually only get to SF once or twice a year.  We have friends that have a Thanksgiving a Christmas year part.   Been attending for over 20 years.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Sounds great.  Hopefully they will have it on Vista for our next Oceania cruise

Has anyone in authority told you that there will definitely not be HS on your cruise?   We also had it available every day on Nautica. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

I do not know what they are offering for excursions. If some on board love nature, Muir Woods is a beautiful National Monument  north of the Golden Gate Bridge (fun to walk across the bridge if you’ve never done). We have another Redwood State park closer to where we live, and it never gets old walking the trails amongst the Giants. They truly are spectacular if that type of day is of interest. 

I agree with your suggestion to visit Muir Woods National Monument. We flew into SFO the week before last to attend my stepson’s Coast Guard retirement ceremony at the USCG Training Center near Petaluma the week before last. I was bound and determined to see redwoods so we planned a stop at Muir Woods on our way to the base. Our adult grandsons were were both arriving at SFO around the same time we were and our daughter-in-law asked if they could ride with us, which was great, but they had to go to Muir Woods with us. What a spectacularly beautiful place! The grandsons loved it as much as we did! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

That tree guy is a legend.  

He must have a Spanish cousin. Guy doing the same thing in Tenerife the last couple of times we've been there. That guy lurks amongst some real trees to scare the passers-by. Fun to watch from a little distance away. 

Edited by Harters
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, lj77346 said:

About the HS ice cream - was told that the machine they use to make it is broken now, so it’s just a Regatta problem until the machine is repaired.

Are you sure you aren't at McDonald's?😁

Hope they repair it soon so you don't miss out.  There are no calories on vacation!

• Haha 8

Hi Jim, I am a little late on here, but now will be following your virgin Oceania cruise. We have our first Oceania cruise next March for 18 days on the Marina around Soth America. So far, the Regatta looks beautiful from your pictures.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

Hi Jim, I am a little late on here, but now will be following your virgin Oceania cruise. We have our first Oceania cruise next March for 18 days on the Marina around Soth America. So far, the Regatta looks beautiful from your pictures.

Wow, you also jumped ship from Celebrity!!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, calicakes said:

Wow, you also jumped ship from Celebrity!!

Yes we have. We just finished an 11 day cruise of Canada on the HAL Volendam that was fantastic in a small ship. Celebrity priced us out of their product, we can cruise with Oceania for less on similar itineraries, like our cruise of South America next March. We can also cruise in a Neptune Suite with HAL for less per day than a Celebrity Sky Suite. 

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Jazzbo said:

I agree with your suggestion to visit Muir Woods National Monument. We flew into SFO the week before last to attend my stepson’s Coast Guard retirement ceremony at the USCG Training Center near Petaluma the week before last. I was bound and determined to see redwoods so we planned a stop at Muir Woods on our way to the base. Our adult grandsons were were both arriving at SFO around the same time we were and our daughter-in-law asked if they could ride with us, which was great, but they had to go to Muir Woods with us. What a spectacularly beautiful place! The grandsons loved it as much as we did! 

USCG Petaluma is a pretty special place. Thank you to your stepson. 
If you ever find your way up again, check out Richardson’s Grove. Another beautiful stand of Giants. 

12 hours ago, tropicalkerry2002 said:

they had the HS ice cream everyday....

I confess to not being thrilled with HS ice cream. They have the occasional weird flavour and the occasional flavour that is just not very nice at all. 

But I forgive the two guys who own the company. Total respect for how they came up with the HS name. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harters said:

I confess to not being thrilled with HS ice cream. They have the occasional weird flavour and the occasional flavour that is just not very nice at all. 

But I forgive the two guys who own the company. Total respect for how they came up with the HS name. 

Thanks Jim, Regatta looks elegant and very well maintained. Sounds like, so far, the service and food has been had a high level. Looking forward to more of your thoughts.

2 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Yes we have. We just finished an 11 day cruise of Canada on the HAL Volendam that was fantastic in a small ship. Celebrity priced us out of their product, we can cruise with Oceania for less on similar itineraries, like our cruise of South America next March. We can also cruise in a Neptune Suite with HAL for less per day than a Celebrity Sky Suite. 

We just finished a 12 day Iceland Greenland cruise on Celebrity Eclipse.  Very underwhelming experience and has soured us on Celebrity for the foreseeable future.  We have a booking on Regent Seven Seas Splendor (which we sailed in 2023) for April 2025 Mediterranean.  We are looking at the Marina for Jan 2026 for 24 day South American journey and this will be our 1st Oceania.  

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Please expand.  Eclipse has gone down that much?

The menu selections in the MDR and food quality was worse than any previous Celebrity cruise we sailed on.  The most recent prior to this sailing was Celebrity Millenium in 2022 and we had a great experience.  All of the suites were booked so we opted for a Concierge cabin.  The canapes were inedible and daily we would see the canape trays untouched and outside the cabins on our floor.  We didn't meet our room steward until Day 4.  There were at least 3 days when he didn't clean our cabin until after 9 pm.  Not sure if they are giving the cabin stewards more than they can handle.  The disembarkation experience was the absolute worse than any of our other 40+ sailings.  Tender service was remarkably slow in Greenland.  We didn't get to leave the ship until 4 hours after docking even though we have priority tender service through Elite status.  We sailed with 3 other cruise mates and they too have sworn off Celebrity.

The best experience was the Happy hour in the Martini bar with great entertainment.

• Like 4