Jim_Iain - Live from Oceania Regatta - September 14 Vancouver to Los Angeles

Jim_Iain

On 9/16/2024 at 10:08 AM, Gordoncruickshank said:

As are we, about 200 points off Zenith but have come tot he conclusion that getting there doesn't make any difference to us now. 

If you plan on sailing Celebrity it may be worth the while to get the free cruise that you can have the $ amount applied to an existing reservation.   Also it will give you access to Retreat, Free Premium Internet, Free Premium Drink package on all future cruises.

7 hours ago, babysteps said:

Haven't ever stayed in a suite, but reports from those who have suggest you can ask your Butler about tender access. Reports=butler (sometimes?) takes you direct to front of tender line. 

Unless they changed things (and they may have) we never had to get a number ticket for tenders, just showed your key card.  We were told to go to the front of the line, which I never would-but we really never had to wait until called.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

Unless they changed things (and they may have) we never had to get a number ticket for tenders, just showed your key card.  We were told to go to the front of the line, which I never would-but we really never had to wait until called.

The way they were handling was if going ashore you went to regatta lounge and they gave out color coded card a sat down.   We waited 2 minutes and they called our color which was also everyone in room. 

I will ask butler today.  Really doesn’t matter only other tender is tomorrow in Kinolock - population 705.  Nothing really there we may just stay aboard or just take a tender after they discontinue tickets.   

• Like 1

On 9/17/2024 at 10:55 AM, durberville said:

Thank you so much for these wonderful photos! We will be boarding the Regatta as first time Oceania guests and you’re providing a wealth of information! I’m taking notes on some of those dishes. 😉

A tad concerned with how empty Toscana appears. (and rather “bright”??) We also have 9 pm reservations. You mentioned you were invited earlier and yet it still looks like you closed the place down! 😬 Haha! (Happy to hear the food is wonderful). 

We did close it dow but the nice part is the staff have time to chat.   

Being European we usually don’t eat before 8:30. 

We are noticing even in MDR we are usually some of last guest to leave.   Showtime is 9:30 and right about that time the place empties.   It gets quiter as the evening progresses 

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

Polo Grill tonight.  20oz Porterhouse was really fine. sorry , no photo.  IMG_20240917_203755584.thumb.jpg.4fc8b9e0f9c97a87d3df11e357362af5.jpgPolo desert menu

Spoiled I always have the quintet at lease one and the rest of the tie berries for desert..

Jancruz1

5 hours ago, ORV said:

I'm really enjoying your report. It makes me realize that for some of us that have been on Oceania regularly might tend to take certain things for granted, and when presented through the eyes of one new to the line make me appreciate it more. Glad you're enjoying Regatta, it's one of our favorites. If you're liking it, I think you'll really enjoy the larger ships. 

I am getting so excited we are leaving next Thursday....this trip we have many friends we have cruised with from the past joining us and looking forward to seeing them all..

Hi to Teresa and of course you..

XXX000

Jancruz1

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Redking said:

What a coincidence, a few posts here about Celebrity and look what I found when I put on my skirt today.

20240917_101716.thumb.jpg.ada2a03ea983960f79dc3a0c13c432be.jpg

From the laundry label number, I'd say that was our Tahitian Treasures cruise back in 2019. Things have changed a bit since then sadly!

LOL --- I find them all the time.    It servers to remind us of which room and ship we were on.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

I agree, kind of useless---but I like them on a table.  Usually at better restaurants they service the first course that is plated on them (and remove both when finished).

Actually Celebrity Luminae use a Large Gold Charger ---- it is taken away before the main dish.   Definitely not a necessity but always looks inviting when you first sit down.  

• Like 1

IMG_5879.thumb.jpeg.9e7623fb1a7de7116a66d39318481e7d.jpeg

I had seen many posts of the negative of the Vista suite is they tie down the furniture every night.    I was surprised that until this morning none of ours has been tied down.   We are hitting stronger winds and seas later today.

Currently winds are blowing at 40 knots and expecting 3 - 4 Meter waves  10 to 13 Feet.

Heavy rains expected later and recommending customers hold onto rail while walking around the ship

IMG_5877.thumb.jpeg.3d4d0c734608fb930ec1d45445cd69bb.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

That is something I would love to see---no matter what time.  But it would have to be for sure before I would stay up.  But a wakeup call would be nice and I'm really enjoying your post.😆

Our Somellier showed some fantastic pictures he took. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

Spoiled I always have the quintet at lease one and the rest of the tie berries for desert..

Jancruz1

I am getting so excited we are leaving next Thursday....this trip we have many friends we have cruised with from the past joining us and looking forward to seeing them all..

Hi to Teresa and of course you..

XXX000

Jancruz1

Thank you Jan.  Enjoy your xxth birthday!.  We met another pax who will be on with you and your group. 

Regatta food even better this voyage.  Exec chef is Northern Italian.

Yesterday TC lunch was Greek themed.  Feta Cheese encrusted leg of lamb... excellent, as well as many other items.  Tzatziki, spanakopita, Greek salad, lamb bourekakia (meat ball but cylindrical).  All very authentic.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, asnaleah said:

So glad to hear you are enjoying Oceania @Jim_Iain. Have you sailed Azamara? We loved Pursuit, reminds me of Regatta. Sister ships? Someone with more experience will clue me in I’m sure. We are looking forward to our Vista cruise in January. 

Have you noticed if there are gluten free, vegan, etc signs at the buffet? Thanks for taking the time to post about your fabulous adventures!

Erin

We have never sailed Azamara but hear good things about them.   I understand their ships are almost identical to Regatta. 

I've noticed that they do indeed show symbols for Plant-base, Lacto-ova Veterinarian and no-sugar added for everything on all menus. 

IMG_5880.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, takemewithyou said:

We are onboard Celebrity Solstice right now in Luminae and the difference between food , even in MDR in Oceania, is night and day!  The service is excellent…the food ….disappointing!  Markedly so.  Way below quality of Azamara, as well.

I would say we had our first slightly negative experience.   We dine late so arrived at 8:30 and area where we were seated was about 50% filled.    Waiter was attentive but no sign of a Sommelier --- we we saw three of them and they seemed more busy cleaning up their wait station than taking care of guests.    After 15 minutes we asked our waiter if they could get one.   Took another 5 minutes for him to arrive.    We generally only have one glass with dinner so no big issue.   The MD drooped by and asked how things were... I mentioned it to him and he sent the Head Sommelier over.    Instead of just saying he would improve he tried to say well we were really busy.   I interrupted him and said sorry but there were only 4 tables and most were finishing off their dinner.   He finally said he would talk with the Sommelier.    We then had a very nice conversation - non service related.  

To be hones the seating was as the very rear against the window and was a bit lack luster. 

This was 100% different to other areas we have eaten so will refuse to eat in that section again. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I understand their ships are almost identical to Regatta.

Azamara's ships and Oceania's R-ships were all originally part of the eight R-class ships that Renaissance Cruise line had built between 1998 and 2001. Renaissance Cruise went bankrupt in 2001, and the R-ships were bought (and some resold) by various other lines. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_Cruises

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, takemewithyou said:

We watched you sail out as we had just arrived at Pan Pacific hotel!  We were sailing out the next day on Solstice.

I love Vancouver.     Such a beautiful city and bay.    We lucked out and had fantastic weather in Sitka but seems to be turning worse for us and should have rain in port tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I would say we had our first slightly negative experience.   We dine late so arrived at 8:30 and area where we were seated was about 50% filled.    Waiter was attentive but no sign of a Sommelier --- we we saw three of them and they seemed more busy cleaning up their wait station than taking care of guests.    After 15 minutes we asked our waiter if they could get one.   Took another 5 minutes for him to arrive.    We generally only have one glass with dinner so no big issue.   The MD drooped by and asked how things were... I mentioned it to him and he sent the Head Sommelier over.    Instead of just saying he would improve he tried to say well we were really busy.   I interrupted him and said sorry but there were only 4 tables and most were finishing off their dinner.   He finally said he would talk with the Sommelier.    We then had a very nice conversation - non service related.  

To be hones the seating was as the very rear against the window and was a bit lack luster. 

This was 100% different to other areas we have eaten so will refuse to eat in that section again. 

Where did you eat last night? That would help.

Polo Grill tonight.  20oz Porterhouse was really fine. sorry , no photo.  IMG_20240917_203755584.thumb.jpg.4fc8b9e0f9c97a87d3df11e357362af5.jpgPolo desert menu

Tonight is Polo -- Now way would we order the 20 Oz -- Maybe 5 ounce.    20 Ounce would server the whole family.    

We were in Florence one evening and this Elderly slim lady dining with her toy boy ate a whole  42-48 Florentine Steak.     I was amazed... then she devoured a desert.   I guess her toy boy was next. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 12

Bellisimo String Quartet.  Such talented musicians.  Very enjoyable.  Performing in Upper Hall 2 times a day.  IMG_20240917_211438946.thumb.jpg.16178922f6cab5d14f843a772fc1c0e1.jpgAlso play during 4pm tea in Horizons Lounge.

We listened to them on the way to dinner last night for a short time.  Very enjoyable.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

Since we’re dropping names here, and it’s OK to go off topic, I’ll just chime in that Janet Yellen was my intro to macro economics professor at Cal. My undergraduate education at Cal was so good, that I hardly learned anything new in my graduate studies at NYU. 

I’m on the next itinerary, hoping to help Jan to celebrate her big day. My cabin mate and I are looking forward to heading over to East Bay to visit our Alma Mater.

She is such a sweet lady but TOUGH.      I was so excited when she was nominated.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Don't worry about going off topic.  If you haven't realized already I'm very scattered and love to go off topic.

I think that chargers are just to make a beautiful presentation.

The wife and I are on the "pro-charger" side of the aisle. We like the old school elegance approach. But, to each their own for sure!

• Like 6

7 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Jim, I always enjoy your wonderful photos and trip reports. I'm glad you are enjoying Oceania.  It is my second favorite, with Regent being first in line.  As a fellow escapee from Celebrity I would put them so far down the list that I can say with certainty that they will never get another dollar from me.  Every once in a while we get a brochure and my husband starts to talk about some cruise and the glare I give him is enough to make him back down as I remind him of all the many reasons we gave up on them.

In November we are on a cruise on the Vista followed the next day by a cruise on the Regent Grandeur.  So it will be interesting to compare the two newer ships on the two lines.  We have been on the Vista before and enjoyed it, but have never been on the Grandeur.  I would say that your investigation of cruise lines will not be complete until you someday try Regent!

Joanie

Joanie -- you will have to do a Live Post from Vista.    I'm sure looking forward to our Nov 9 Vista cruise from Istanbul to Barcelona.     That will be a fun Comparison... we will be doing Cunard from NY to Southampton - Vista to Barcelona and then Celebrity from Lisbon to Rio and Buenos Aires.    That is our last booked Celebrity cruise.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ORV said:

I'm really enjoying your report. It makes me realize that for some of us that have been on Oceania regularly might tend to take certain things for granted, and when presented through the eyes of one new to the line make me appreciate it more. Glad you're enjoying Regatta, it's one of our favorites. If you're liking it, I think you'll really enjoy the larger ships. 

I'm sure it is some that are traveling Celebrity E-Class ships for the first time and have nothing to compare it to.    New cruisers have a different frame of reference.  

Like many of the more seasoned Oceania Cruisers who make not of drop in quality of food and cutting the Substitution of a Burger (albeit high quality) and Lobster sandwich at the Grill from the Filet and Lobster.  .... never having it I would never miss it.  

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I love Vancouver.     Such a beautiful city and bay.    We lucked out and had fantastic weather in Sitka but seems to be turning worse for us and should have rain in port tomorrow.

Yesterday the weather was good in Icy Point Strait….sunny in the afternoon.  Really pleasant!  Today we made it into Skagway at 7 am.  Really big winds!  Two ships couldn’t make it in and cancelled port stops.  It was really wild walking around and down at our dock, it felt like hurricane winds trying to go up and down the docks! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

An alert to those who may consider visiting Canada for any reason. A DUI/DWI charge or conviction can prohibit entry to Canada. Drunk and drug charges are more serious legal events in Canada. I know someone who was denied entry because of this*. If one goes to "canada" dui" "immigration" or other such search terms you will see the result. Think now before you go. 

*He was on the hydrofoil from Seattle to Victoria and they required him to wait in the entry hall for the immediate return trip. The other couple continued their day trip without him and his wife.

I've read that.    Australia and New Zealand can be much the same.   Luckily I have a totally clean record.    

• Like 1