Jim_Iain - Live from Oceania Regatta - September 14 Vancouver to Los Angeles

Jim_Iain

Interesting find- for some of us how can’t consume alcohol.  Oceania carries a full line of non-alcoholic cordials used in mixed mock tails.  

I tried the amaretto and was quite nice.   I once tried a non-alcoholic Gin on celebrity once and almost spewed it across the room. 

IMG_6040.thumb.jpeg.1fe9e1f7e87ca3259c6c694e2b43b18b.jpeg

IMG_6039.thumb.jpeg.ee64d3b5103c8673d7088ab6116f3674.jpeg

IMG_6037.thumb.jpeg.02e40a1cdcf497459ecd190e57728c39.jpeg

IMG_6036.thumb.jpeg.592e1db738e10359320d1abbf42bd3c6.jpeg

IMG_6035.thumb.jpeg.37445abe0fb83dae35ea2cec6fe5ca5b.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cluso said:

Hi Feta,

We have not been to the TC for dinner.  Does it work the same way that it does for breakfast and lunch where you cruise the buffet?  Your meal looks like it was served and on special plates and a tablecloth.

Is it crowded at dinner?

Thank you 

No, not crowded at dinner.  Yes, Tablecloths.

Try it, very large selection, many same items as GDR.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Interesting find- for some of us how can’t consume alcohol.  Oceania carries a full line of non-alcoholic cordials used in mixed mock tails.  

I tried the amaretto and was quite nice.   I once tried a non-alcoholic Gin on celebrity once and almost spewed it across the room. 

IMG_6040.thumb.jpeg.1fe9e1f7e87ca3259c6c694e2b43b18b.jpeg

IMG_6039.thumb.jpeg.ee64d3b5103c8673d7088ab6116f3674.jpeg

IMG_6037.thumb.jpeg.02e40a1cdcf497459ecd190e57728c39.jpeg

IMG_6036.thumb.jpeg.592e1db738e10359320d1abbf42bd3c6.jpeg

IMG_6035.thumb.jpeg.37445abe0fb83dae35ea2cec6fe5ca5b.jpeg

@Jim_Iain

Thanks, I tried the non-alcoholic wines. IMO, Tasted like juice.

Just now, terrydtx said:

I am confused is the TC a buffet for dinner or do they have waiters taking orders and delivering the food?

The TC is still a buffet with a grill cooking to order steak, lobster, shrimp and lamb chops.  There are servers that are happy to carry your plate back to your table,  The tables are set with cloth tablecloths and napkins for dinner,

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I am confused is the TC a buffet for dinner or do they have waiters taking orders and delivering the food?

It's a buffet, same for BLD. Staff behind counter serve items to your plate, bowl, etc.  Pax do not touch utensils.  Waiters take Bev orders only.  Waiters will carry your plate to table if assistance needed, or if asked.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I took a look last night.  Table cloth and servers for wine, beer etc.   You select your food and bring back to table.  

IMG_6024.thumb.jpeg.3d182b97647f1481a712b2bd316c8684.jpeg

IMG_6025.thumb.jpeg.7108983bf8946ff771a58afed97e3f90.jpeg

IMG_6027.thumb.jpeg.d650112cb8bb440190f804d2acdb10be.jpeg

IMG_6028.thumb.jpeg.df62b9c7592ad769086387fc4ad8ca6f.jpeg

IMG_6029.thumb.jpeg.a57a0b4053402635aaedd33c002c31df.jpeg

IMG_6030.thumb.jpeg.e89d2c5464fc69130ac9eb4433e8d7df.jpeg

IMG_6032.thumb.jpeg.9c4102c30b75b9d49083a8a1aec3e9be.jpeg

IMG_6033.thumb.jpeg.f72e3f932a146881a12c34e07da25c6f.jpeg

I chatted with a couple asking about the lobster.  He said just order at grill as many as you wish. 

IMG_6034.jpeg.240feb2c1225ad36b3e8b1bd78a71626.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

One thing I'm noticing is the variety is not as much as one might think

I find that particularly so with the starters, where several can be the same or similar every night. It can leave you with very limited choice of new things to eat. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, pilgrimage said:

I've never tried this, but I bet you could tell the wine steward your dinner selections and ask them to provide pairings based on the beverage package by-the-glass wines.  Give them a challenge! No need to limit to just the menu pairings.

Just to confirm I asked the Somellier last night.   She confirmed it was included and said.... ah... would you like to do that.   She was more than willing to do it.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/19/2024 at 8:48 PM, Jim_Iain said:

For dinner I had the Foie Gras as a Starter and the Maine Lobster.  Iain had Clam. Chowder and the veal

IMG_5906.thumb.jpeg.78b260fc9883fcaa3b9d27e5856002f7.jpeg

IMG_5907.thumb.jpeg.f2eb04655bd916c42f032ca4997f3378.jpeg

IMG_5909.thumb.jpeg.0ad071bc2e4a777115b3c6d632211a78.jpeg

Foie Gras  really tasty

IMG_5912.thumb.jpeg.ce6966d14a91f7cc8c4943f4f5a65751.jpeg

IMG_5913.thumb.jpeg.a52d13f37ca740bd181fc4d30e2f3a07.jpeg

Lobster was incredible and perfectly cooked.  The waiter removed from the shell and presented on plate.  

IMG_5911.thumb.jpeg.26ac856bc2ba31bc0ce52f92d1ccc790.jpeg

Veal was beautiful but Iain was expecting scalloppini thin.   Could only eat about 1/3

Ah yes that veal was the same one that I showed in the photo I posted a few days ago (I think I posted on the Celeb board) of the Pancetta wrapped veal Oscar style with bay lobster. It was really wonderful... agree it was very rich. I would order again. 

2 hours ago, cluso said:

Is it crowded at dinner?

When I walked through last night around 7:30 about 1/2 the tables were empty.   Looked very relaxed.     I believe you serve yourself like at Breakfast and Lunch.   They also have a grill for steaks, lobster, Salmon and possibly other things.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruising Maryland said:

Yes, they make everyone in the room upgrade if you purchase in advance. But you can buy individually if you purchase onboard, 

Thanks --- I didn't know that.   Seems strange it's the same price on the ship.   At least when I looked pre-cruise if you had Simply More you couldn't upgrade online it only gave me the price for a drink package if you didn't have Simply More.    I was told I had to call my agent or call Oceania.

3 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

When I walked through last night around 7:30 about 1/2 the tables were empty.   Looked very relaxed.     I believe you serve yourself like at Breakfast and Lunch.   They also have a grill for steaks, lobster, Salmon and possibly other things.

We were on Marina last October. Ate at TC for lunch several times, and twice for Dinner. I do not remember being able to take anything myself. Everything I ate was served.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

@Jim_Iain

Thanks, I tried the non-alcoholic wines. IMO, Tasted like juice.

Beggars cant be chooser.... LOL.    I usually just like it for a sip or two to feel part of ---  The white is pretty bad in my opinion.    The one offered on Oceania is better than most other places.    Celebrity has Fre by Sutter Home

I usually hate buffets. However, Oceania is different from other ships. Terrace buffet at dinner is excellent. It isn’t like the mass market ships. Tables are set with cloth table clothes and napkins. Waiters serve drinks. They will assist with food if needed. The food offerings are amazing. They usually serve the same menu as the grand dining room with added items from the grill. Lamb hops, steak, chicken, fish, shrimp, lobster, etc. Sushi is very good.  Waves is also open for dinner with pizza, antipasto, and other Italian dishes. We love the pizza. It’s better than the pizza served at lunch in the buffet.  We often do a mixed bag dinner.  Order a pizza to be delivered to us inside at the Terrace, sushi, and whatever from the grill or buffet. Lots of good choices. Don’t be surprised if you find lots of people eating at the Terrace.  It’s especially nice in warm places. You can sit outside and enjoy the warm weather. In Alaska, we ate outside and enjoyed the scenery. You can dress casually.  Shorts and jeans are ok.  

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks --- I didn't know that.   Seems strange it's the same price on the ship.   At least when I looked pre-cruise if you had Simply More you couldn't upgrade online it only gave me the price for a drink package if you didn't have Simply More.    I was told I had to call my agent or call Oceania.

We had to have our TA add the Prestige drinks package to our final payment. She told me it can't be done online.

• Like 2

Both my wife and I love having clean clothes on a cruise( and land vacations).  We usually do our wash a few times on an Oceania cruise. We make sure everything is clean before we go home as well.  They have Celebrity beat with that.   We're not Elite on X so we don't get free laundry.  

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

All worked out pretty well.   Iain said we should have booked the later flight... I would never hear the end from him if I booked a 6 AM flight. 

Julie and I missed an Alaska flight to Fort Lauderdale one year.  We arrived at the airport 15 minutes too late for our bags to make it on.  Since that was the only non-stop flight that day, we had to spend 8hrs in the Seattle airport* we had to fly there from LA) waiting for a red eye to take us to FL. We now arrive at the airport 2hrs ahead of our flight.  We just hang out in the airline lounge.  Once you miss a flight, you aim to never miss another. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

I usually hate buffets. However, Oceania is different from other ships. Terrace buffet at dinner is excellent. It isn’t like the mass market ships. Tables are set with cloth table clothes and napkins. Waiters serve drinks. They will assist with food if needed. The food offerings are amazing. They usually serve the same menu as the grand dining room with added items from the grill. Lamb hops, steak, chicken, fish, shrimp, lobster, etc. Sushi is very good.  Waves is also open for dinner with pizza, antipasto, and other Italian dishes. We love the pizza. It’s better than the pizza served at lunch in the buffet.  We often do a mixed bag dinner.  Order a pizza to be delivered to us inside at the Terrace, sushi, and whatever from the grill or buffet. Lots of good choices. Don’t be surprised if you find lots of people eating at the Terrace.  It’s especially nice in warm places. You can sit outside and enjoy the warm weather. In Alaska, we ate outside and enjoyed the scenery. You can dress casually.  Shorts and jeans are ok.  

I agree with you on the Terrace buffet, especially in the evening. We love it and prefer it over the Grand Dining Room. Once you order at the grill (steak, lobster, shrimp, salmon, lamb chops) they give you a number and you can go back to your table. Many times the waiters will take the number and go up and get your food and bring it back to the table. The waiters are very friendly and actually have the time to chat and usually want to engage with you. I like the buffet because all the food is served and you don't have to worry about other people who have touched the food (or worse) while they are serving themselves. I find Celebrity is quantity over quality, and Oceania is quality over quantity. The only thing I don't like is that there aren't many ingredients for a mixed salad.

The TC on Oceania is a huge differential over Regent. They don't have an evening casual dining location, although I've heard they are changing that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, calicakes said:

Both my wife and I love having clean clothes on a cruise( and land vacations).  We usually do our wash a few times on an Oceania cruise. We make sure everything is clean before we go home as well.  They have Celebrity beat with that.   We're not Elite on X so we don't get free laundry.  

I believer all classes on Oceania get some free bags (20 items) of laundry I believer we get 4 but will probably not use it.  

The turn around time is 3 days vs in an upper suite we usually get next day.   We usually give it to our butler before dinner and he has it back by dinner the next night.