Jim_Iain - Live from Oceania Regatta - September 14 Vancouver to Los Angeles

Jim_Iain

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

I did.... but definitely not a tea drinker.    When we usually go to tea in London I usually order coffee... they don't even raise and eyebrow. 

Iain loves ----STRONG black tea.    Usually 4-5 bags to a pot.   It's as dark as coffee. 

Ha ha, I am not a tea drinker either.  For years, many friends tried to get me to try all the specialty and healthy teas.  They smelled like cut hay or grass to me.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, bbqoug said:

We loved our afternoon tea at the Fairmont Frontenac 2 years ago on our previous O cruise. We really want to go back to Quebec City.

I love that hotel.   When I was about 10 y.o. my father took us there for dinner.   Will never forget the fun of finger bowls to clean you fingers before dinner.    The views are incredible.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Woofa said:

Thank you for this great running review.  Too late for you but Butchart Gardens also has a very nice tea in view of the gardens especially if you can sit outside weather permitting.  Also on the waterfront, small shack Redfish, Bluefish has amazing fish and chips. 

We have done the Tea at Buchart Gardens and was a real treat.  I've always wanted to do the one at Empress Hotel and booked it 6 months ago. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

No live lobster at all.   It is all either cryovac or frozen --- not sure.   I asked in Toscana.    ossibly others that have sailed on the larger ships can weigh in on whether they have live lobsters since they probably have larger storage areas.

That is very disappointing and unexpected on a line like Oceania. But no fresh cold-water lobsters is not a deal breaker for cruising with them.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

No live lobster at all.   It is all either cryovac or frozen --- not sure.   I asked in Toscana.    ossibly others that have sailed on the larger ships can weigh in on whether they have live lobsters since they probably have larger storage areas.

I would venture to guess it's all frozen. On Vista, we shared a table with others at Polo Grill. Someone ordered Maine lobster and it was cold and had water running from it, indicating it was previously frozen. That evening was a disappointment, both for us and the people we shared a table with. Mainly the timing of the service. It was the only hiccup for us regarding food and service. For instance, I ordered the filet. It was perfectly cooked however by the time they brought the sauce for it to the table, it had gone cold. Creme Brûlée was ice cold. We said something about it and was given the excuse that it was because it was a shared table and difficult to have things coming out at the right time since some of us ordered more courses. Major contrast to our experience on Riviera at Polo Grill, which was outstanding. Even though the lobster is previously frozen, given the right preparation, you'd never know. For instance the Lobster Thermidor in Jacques was one of my favorite meals on Riviera. 

• Like 1

Monday - Astoria, Oregon 

Arrived on time and had to go through U.S. immigration.   It was well organized and we were through in a few minutes. 

IMG_6239.thumb.jpeg.d5ba68db006644a43268f63d42377a7b.jpeg

IMG_6232.thumb.jpeg.c207efad58f79f6ae50bcb0a0bf60966.jpeg

IMG_6175.thumb.jpeg.1dcad6ad06e30729730a469aa834e1c9.jpeg

IMG_6178.jpeg

IMG_6181.jpeg

IMG_6183.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 5

On 9/20/2024 at 6:06 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Another feature that Celebrity cut years ago is the daily news summary.   Geared to nationality 

IMG_6018.thumb.jpeg.5dae4e65c4304f76d393c112e21a5ee2.jpeg

Where/how do you get this paper? We've been on 3 Oceania cruises and have never seen these.

On 9/15/2024 at 9:42 PM, ORV said:

Don't give up hope yet, it's only the first day. 

I believe I read on another post that the machine that is used to make the HS ice cream is broken.  They are waiting on a repair or replacement.

However,  we were on the Marina in June and July.  One of the elevators was broken.  I understand it is still broken.  Good luck with the ice cream.  We will be joining the ship on Oct. 3. We are hoping for the Slocum ice cream.

14 hours ago, terrydtx said:

That is very disappointing and unexpected on a line like Oceania. But no fresh cold-water lobsters is not a deal breaker for cruising with them.

Oceania doesn't tout themselves as a Luxury Line like SilverSea and Regent SS but a Upscale cruise line.    I would agree that it is in between.   I definitely can tell the difference between live lobster and frozen / cryovac lobster.  

The one thing I can say is the Lobster on Celebrity isn't even close to that of Oceania.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SSFrance69 said:

I would venture to guess it's all frozen. On Vista, we shared a table with others at Polo Grill. Someone ordered Maine lobster and it was cold and had water running from it, indicating it was previously frozen. That evening was a disappointment, both for us and the people we shared a table with. Mainly the timing of the service. It was the only hiccup for us regarding food and service. For instance, I ordered the filet. It was perfectly cooked however by the time they brought the sauce for it to the table, it had gone cold. Creme Brûlée was ice cold. We said something about it and was given the excuse that it was because it was a shared table and difficult to have things coming out at the right time since some of us ordered more courses. Major contrast to our experience on Riviera at Polo Grill, which was outstanding. Even though the lobster is previously frozen, given the right preparation, you'd never know. For instance the Lobster Thermidor in Jacques was one of my favorite meals on Riviera. 

Interesting to hear.   We have really had good service and if anything we often ask them to slow down the service.    I guess they have to strike a balance.   They excuse they gave you was pure rubbish.    I think they would be far better off to just acknowledge the complaint and promise to do better the next time. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

That is a great photo.

Crying out for a Caption Competition.

LOL..  I almost didn't post it as I thought.... darn Iain's in the picture...

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, PSR said:

Where/how do you get this paper? We've been on 3 Oceania cruises and have never seen these.

They leave it on our Bed every evening.     It is listed as a perk for Suites I just assumed it was delivered to all guests. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mcgilldj said:

I believe I read on another post that the machine that is used to make the HS ice cream is broken.  They are waiting on a repair or replacement.

However,  we were on the Marina in June and July.  One of the elevators was broken.  I understand it is still broken.  Good luck with the ice cream.  We will be joining the ship on Oct. 3. We are hoping for the Slocum ice cream.

Yes @cluso had asked and was told the machine was broken.   I kinda scratched my head and thought --- what could be different from a HS machine and a regular Ice Cream machine.   I would think if you have the ingredients you could still make it. 

• Like 1

On 9/21/2024 at 5:43 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Beggars cant be chooser.... LOL.    I usually just like it for a sip or two to feel part of ---  The white is pretty bad in my opinion.    The one offered on Oceania is better than most other places.    Celebrity has Fre by Sutter Home

Do you recall the name of the non-alcoholic wine on Oceania? we buy the premium beverage packages, but my wife like to have a glass of non-alcoholic Chardonay occasionally (she drinks Fre and home). 

19 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Oceania doesn't tout themselves as a Luxury Line like SilverSea and Regent SS but a Upscale cruise line.    I would agree that it is in between.   I definitely can tell the difference between live lobster and frozen / cryovac lobster.  

The one thing I can say is the Lobster on Celebrity isn't even close to that of Oceania.

I posted earlier that the lobster I had on the HAL Volendam last month in Canada was a whole cold-water lobster and it was excellent, probably the only good lobster I can remember on any cruise. It had to have been fresh by the quality and consistency of it. This was ordered with the $18 supplement in the MDR. My only complaint was I had to use a lobster cracker to get all the meat out myself and it was messy. I prefer the way the waiter on your cruise prepared the lobster by removing all the meat and plating it for you.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1