New dining system - experiences onboard

Tomcruise92

I recently disembarked from the Grand Princess. Pre-cruise, I used the app to make reservations for my party of 6 for Michelangelo for each night at the same time. On the first night, we were seated next to a window and we told our server that we had a reservation for the same time every night and would like to keep that table. He did something on his device and told us we would be at that table for the rest of the cruise (assuming we didn't cancel the reservation). So from my perspective, it worked great. We had the same server and assistant server and the same window table each night, and never had to wait for our table. I did see some people waiting for a table when leaving each night, but the lines didn't look long.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, MuffinW said:

I recently disembarked from the Grand Princess. Pre-cruise, I used the app to make reservations for my party of 6 for Michelangelo for each night at the same time. On the first night, we were seated next to a window and we told our server that we had a reservation for the same time every night and would like to keep that table. He did something on his device and told us we would be at that table for the rest of the cruise (assuming we didn't cancel the reservation). So from my perspective, it worked great. We had the same server and assistant server and the same window table each night, and never had to wait for our table. I did see some people waiting for a table when leaving each night, but the lines didn't look long.

5pm?

2 hours ago, MuffinW said:

recently disembarked from the Grand Princess

What was the date of the cruise?

---'xxx-----

My last cruise was April 6-27, 2024 so I'm happily looking forward to the update right after my cruise although I had an assigned table at 6pm. But everyone else in my dining 'area' seemed to have either 5 or 5:30. And they all went to the same tables for all 3+ weeks

Edited by Ombud

13 hours ago, Ombud said:

What was the date of the cruise?

---'xxx-----

My last cruise was April 6-27, 2024 so I'm happily looking forward to the update right after my cruise although I had an assigned table at 6pm. But everyone else in my dining 'area' seemed to have either 5 or 5:30. And they all went to the same tables for all 3+ weeks

September 2024. I'd think you could make a reservation for 6 pm in the app for each night of the cruise - that's basically what I did.

15 hours ago, MuffinW said:

Just like the good old days!!  Thanks for sharing.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MuffinW said:

September 2024. I'd think you could make a reservation for 6 pm in the app for each night of the cruise - that's basically what I did.

Unfortunately not on the Sun Princess.  I can't get any time slot for embarkation day (9/23/24). And I'm not the only one on the roll call discussing MDR reservation issues ... or rather lack of

But I'm leaving in just a few days and there's that new diner I'm dying to try out!!

I do have 6pm private table on the 5  subsequent cruises. But Sun switched last week so who knows what I'll find next Monday? 

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ombud said:

Unfortunately not on the Sun Princess.  I can't get any time slot for embarkation day (9/23/24). And I'm not the only one on the roll call discussing MDR reservation issues ... or rather lack of

But I'm leaving in just a few days and there's that new diner I'm dying to try out!!

I do have 6pm private table on the 5  subsequent cruises. 

Ah, gotcha. Well, I'm sure you will have a wonderful time regardless of the dinner slot!

5 subsequent, holy cow! It's nice to hear about someone living life to the fullest.  

• Like 1

So this was a relief! 

30 minutes ago, MuffinW said:

Looking forward to every night at 6pm in January (my kids laugh that I go somewhere / somehow every season. 2025 will be lite bc F18 just started college & we know how that goes w/o a 529). 

• Like 1

So far no one really telling of their experience in the “ new” dining format. Of course it’s only been since yesterday that it was suppose to start(9-14-24).

As time goes on hopefully we’ll hear some more from fellow CC members on how it’s working out.

Edited by arizonaperson
  • Like 2

I'm on Discovery right now.  We had a reservation in Ketchickan last night.  When we got there, the line for people with reservations was up the stairs.  It looked overwhelming, but we waited less than 10 minutes to be seated.  The dining room wasn't at capacity, so I think it was just a snag with getting everyone in and seated rather than a lack of tables.  

9 minutes ago, NobleTiger said:

I'm on Discovery right now.  We had a reservation in Ketchickan last night.  When we got there, the line for people with reservations was up the stairs.  It looked overwhelming, but we waited less than 10 minutes to be seated.  The dining room wasn't at capacity, so I think it was just a snag with getting everyone in and seated rather than a lack of tables.  

What time was your reeservation?

18 hours ago, arizonaperson said:

So far no one really telling of their experience in the “ new” dining format. Of course it’s only been since yesterday that it was suppose to start(9-14-24).

As time goes on hopefully we’ll hear some more from fellow CC members on how it’s working out.

I second this. I appreciate I was perhaps a little early to start the thread 😂. Looking forward to hearing how the new system is going, particularly how they manage the new traditional dining restaurants. 

We were on Sun Princess last month for two weeks.

I pre booked traditional dining for each night at 7.30 pm on deck 6. It worked perfectly except for one night when we arrived at 8 pm due to attending the Captain's welcome party for Elite & Platinum guests. Our pre assigned table had been given away. This was really annoying!

When we ate a specialty restaurants we informed our waiters the night before.

Those on "Any time" dining would often filter down from deck 7 during the evening when tables became available.

We were a table for 2 so really missed being on a table of 6 or 8 dining with other guests.  

29 minutes ago, Esprit said:

I pre booked traditional dining for each night at 7.30 pm on deck 6. It worked perfectly except for one night when we arrived at 8 pm due to attending the Captain's welcome party for Elite & Platinum guests. Our pre assigned table had been given away. This was really annoying!

When we ate a specialty restaurants we informed our waiters the night before.

Those on "Any time" dining would often filter down from deck 7 during the evening when tables became available.

We were a table for 2 so really missed being on a table of 6 or 8 dining with other guests.  

30 minutes late and you were annoyed?  interesting

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Esprit said:

I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect any restaurant to hold a table for someone who is 30 minutes late for their reservation. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, voljeep said:

30 minutes late and you were annoyed?  interesting

Yes, annoyed! No one told us our table would be given to some one else. 

The fault lay with Princess for having the Captain's gathering set for 7.30 pm. We actually left before he even spoke because we were concerned our waiters may think it rude that we turned up late.

I'm sure you meant no sarcasm in your reply!

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Esprit said:

The fault lay with Princess for having the Captain's gathering set for 7.30 pm. We actually left before he even spoke because we were concerned our waiters may think it rude that we turned up late.

You are correct, I’m not being sarcastic. If you chose not to go to any restaurant within 10 or 15 minutes of your reserved time, whether on a cruise or on land, it is completely normal for them to allow others to dine.

It is not reasonable to expect the ship to hold no events during your reserved dining time. If you want to attend an event at that time, the best thing to do is change your reservation.

• Like 8

We were on the Ruby last week and the system worked well for us. We had reservations for our party of 4 each night and were seated expediently for each reservation. We were late for one due to lingering longer in port, but they accommodated us quickly. We ended up skipping two of the seven nights - one for dinner in port and the other for Crown Grill. We had no issues at all with the new system. 

57 minutes ago, Esprit said:

My undeestanding is that a reservation is canceled after 15 minutes after the scheduled time.

• Like 2