Returning to Explora 1 after almost a year

uktog

It seems that Explora’s mentality of not being a cruise ship but a floating luxury resort is part of the problem.  I have sailed with Heike and she is a consummate professional.  I am sure she wanted to have policies which reflect how a cruise ship should be run.  The thing with a luxury hotel product, such as Aman, Four Seasons, Pen, etc is that most people do not spend weeks at a time there.  There is usually no need to change up the menus as most luxury hotel guests are not taking every meal on property,  They are out and dining on Michelin restaurants.

I have stayed at luxury properties (not Aman) and I have many friends who only stay at luxury properties and will never go on a cruise, even it was all luxury.  They simply want to have the freedom that a land based stay offers in terms of being on their schedule, not the cruise ships.  This is just my friends group but if Explora is trying to attract that market they may not.  They will attract, at least the first time, people like myself and Mr, Cruisr.  We love Seabourn, Silversea and Crystal.  I am willing to try Explora but unless they deliver we will not return.

How on earth did their port agent in Istanbul not alert them to the fact that their wine purchases would be impounded.  Maybe they didn’t even ask and just figured they could just buy wine and bring it back to the ship as they would have been able to do that if they were a hotel and ran out of wine.  Doesn’t work that way with a ship provisioning.  

I have been fortunate enough to have been to 99% of the ports they have in the Med.  We are considering Caribbean as even though we have been there but that itinerary is mostly for relaxation.  If they want to attract more luxury cruisers they need to, IMHO, add some new ports/itineraries.

@uktogI really appreciate your honest opinion and sharing your experiences.  It is very interesting noting changes that have happened in the year since Explora l launched.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, CruiseCrew123 said:

We spoke to the F&B last night and apparently they were told that each member of staff could bring on 1 bottle . They had staff lined up to do this . That’s seems crazy as in the end it wasn’t allowed 

I wish they had a 🤦 face palm emoji for your post.  Crazy, indeed.

• Haha 1

As she stated she was happy to be back with the RCCL family.

Just speculating -- Remember she was with Azamara when it was sold by RCCL.  With the sale you get the people and the contracts.  Very likely her new contract had a non compete clause that stated that she could not go back to RCCL before X years.  Not satisfied with the new Azamara when contract ended -- went to Explora when that contract ends -- well ... back to RCCL as the time limit likely expired.

Best of luck a Silversea, they need all of the help they can get.  Found the hotel director very lacking on our last SS cruise.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, CJANDH said:

Why would you want to? All the wine you can drink is free.

For many of us, a cruise is a bit of a special occasion. I’ve looked over a few iterations of their free wine offerings and none are what I would consider “special occasion wines,”

Sure, I’ll probably enjoy a glass or two by the pool but I’ll be looking for a bit more most of the time.

We brought 12 special bottles with us on Oceana last time so I can certainly understand why CWAJ45 asked.

BTW, I believe the better answer is “yes,”

• Like 1

This thread has proven we sail on ships for different reasons.  Why someone would think luxury cruise passengers care about port stops amazes me.  Of course, some care.  Many do not.  The same can be said about a person that cannot understand why anyone would not be happy with the included wine.  And crew members can tell one person the real story and another a different version of same story.  So much depends on rapport, length of time knowing one another and just plain liking someone more than another.  In the end, we are all pieces of cargo.  And some crew probably wish some passengers would not leave their container.

• Like 6

The inability to make black tea is a huge problem for me on a ship as that is my beverage of choice. The fact they cannot supply boiling water means they cannot make black tea which requires water at boiling point to allow the leaves to infuse (other teas require water just off boiling) otherwise you get a slightly muddy tasting unpleasant brew. 

Being a regular Oceania customer this was an ongoing issue for me which resulted in every cruise asking when booking and reminding prior to sailing as a special request that I would require my tea to be made with boiling water and could they facilitate this, naturally that was always a yes but in reality they always failed to deliver. After onboard negotiations, as I knew for experience there was a resolution, Samovars were made available in the Terrace Cafe and Barristas cafe where other tea drinkers and I could access boiling water.

I don't know why ships can't have boiling water but I presume there is some obscure reason apart from the fact the there is an ignorance or lack of customer care by FB managers who are not black tea drinkers. Can you imagine the outcry on board if coffee drinkers were served coffee made with tepid water that failed to brew, there would be mutiny onboard!

2 hours ago, tine-tine said:

I don't know why ships can't have boiling water but I presume there is some obscure reason apart from the fact the there is an ignorance or lack of customer care by FB managers who are not black tea drinkers. 

The reason is not obscure at all - boiling water + ship’s possible movement + clumsy passengers = passenger burn = “incident”!

You may scoff and say that you’re responsible for your own actions but when you’re at a restaurant or on a ship, legally not necessarily so.  The famous McDonald’s case in the States where a woman won millions in damages was won on the basis that McDonalds had been repeatedly warned that serving coffee at the boiling point was a scalding risk.

You are perfectly free to burn yourself at home but it’s a different story in a resto or ship!

• Like 5

Reading through this thread, I find myself grateful that I am not a regular wine drinker - oy, the stress of it all!

Not one to book ship excursions either (although I understand that at some ports it may be a necessity). I already have 2 booked, directly, which are cancelable if the port is skipped. The ship excursions are generally too expensive and neither DH nor myself care to stand around like cattle in the hot sun waiting for the inevitable stragglers.

We'll be first timers next year and I'm happy that none of the complaints I have read thus far are things that would affect our experience.  Like others have said, cruise expectations will vary.

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

The reason is not obscure at all - boiling water + ship’s possible movement + clumsy passengers = passenger burn = “incident”!

You may scoff and say that you’re responsible for your own actions but when you’re at a restaurant or on a ship, legally not necessarily so.  The famous McDonald’s case in the States where a woman won millions in damages was won on the basis that McDonalds had been repeatedly warned that serving coffee at the boiling point was a scalding risk.

You are perfectly free to burn yourself at home but it’s a different story in a resto or ship!

That argument fails when they cannot supply boiling water for tea in the cafe, restaurant nor afternoon tea! In case of complacency from coffee drinkers lulled into a false sense of security by your post water does not have to be boiling for you to get badly burned, coffee is made at around 95 deg C, black tea as in this link shows around 100 C depending on variety. The attachments gives helpful tips for the uninitiated tea drinkers also the danger to coffee drinkers of self service on board!
Don't mess with the tea drinkers, especially those who know how to make a brew with loose leaf not bags left in the cup! 

IMG_2281.thumb.png.e0e506995de240ab6cf4e319916f77c2.pngIMG_2277.thumb.png.0c871bfe9975220c8f1e9c11917ea6d7.pngIMG_2277.thumb.png.0c871bfe9975220c8f1e9c11917ea6d7.png
IMG_2279.thumb.png.4ad423c77c61c1bdb09674bbffd64d8e.png

11 hours ago, santos949 said:

After 80+ cruises on lines from Carnival to Regent, our two favorites are Explora and Crystal.  They just "fit" what we are looking for and what we expect!

Have you tried SeaDream ?  (not good if you like shows etc)

So how are we doing now?

No comment on the wine situation, I know it’s just not working for some. 
The travel agents seem to have left so only a short familiarisation for them. They don’t appear to have been replaced. 
Last night in Rhodes they brought on a Greek dancing troupe. Whether it was the timing (6pm but with a 730 sailing that’s all that would work) or this sort of thing doesn’t appeal to the many Europeans onboard only a handful of people attended which must have been a little embarrassing for Explora. It was a nice display with the usual audience participation (if you wanted) which was handled at an appropriate speed/energy requirement 

IMG_6861.thumb.jpeg.0fd0ec2db275f3fded53e5ffa08ca613.jpeg

They also had a sail away disco on Deck 14 (didn’t go) however we preferred the beauty of watching the sky outside the Explorer lounge on 11. 
IMG_6873.thumb.jpeg.26056e7be8092c2ab2860f64632f86c4.jpeg

The entertainment remains samey - every night its singers however it is correct they do have a 14 not a 7 night programme so we haven’t yet had repeats. Last nights Carole King songbook was particularly good. 

Food remains a high spot, host service remains variable. There seem to be a few new staff onboard who haven’t a clue what they’re doing. Overall the English language skills are far lower than other lines we have sailed on. Over time it gets more and more frustrating having to try and communicate with some of them. 

• Like 1

Katapulo/Amorigos is my sort of place. I’m not sure some agree. There’s little focus on tourism a few shops, genuine cafes and people just going about their daily business and to an extent ignoring you. There seemed to be inexpensive boat tours on the pier 10-5 which would fit. 
It’s an easy and beautiful tender ride in. 

Im sorry so many were negative about here. Maybe better info from the ship would have made a difference

Here is why I loved it

PS we gave the car hire a miss! 

IMG_6878.thumb.jpeg.971fcafaf2cda52316ec1ca111aaa09e.jpeg

IMG_6890.thumb.jpeg.1c82f83b1e99d870997b47e21eb1783a.jpeg

IMG_6883.thumb.jpeg.c0df22fc1f8f6ea8563b1af9a1f6d945.jpeg

IMG_6895.thumb.jpeg.704016ff330bdba95960b9ad4b3de08a.jpeg

IMG_6898.thumb.jpeg.cdccc9101a6109e12a1de03a23747caf.jpeg

IMG_6901.thumb.jpeg.e45e1cf2053a3d032dde8a69b78dc101.jpegIMG_6899.thumb.jpeg.874410047b7e68a58ed2e8e9aa87ef48.jpeg

IMG_6876.thumb.jpeg.e2adac48fa42de493daedbc165b36714.jpeg

• Like 6

Totally agree with you.

I think my wife is getting fed up of me gushing about the village while we walk around the bay - oops!

Currently enjoying a sweet Greek coffee with water while enjoying the view. 

I understand the irony of enjoying the environment closer to typical Greek life when we have just disgorged from a cruise ship...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ChilledGecko said:

Totally agree with you.

Currently enjoying a sweet Greek coffee with water while enjoying the view. 

I understand the irony of enjoying the environment closer to typical Greek life when we have just disgorged from a cruise ship...

4 hours ago, uktog said:

Katapulo/Amorigos is my sort of place. I’m not sure some agree. There’s little focus on tourism a few shops, genuine cafes and people just going about their daily business and to an extent ignoring you. There seemed to be inexpensive boat tours on the pier 10-5 which would fit. 
It’s an easy and beautiful tender ride in. 

No people or cruise passengers - WE HAVE A WINNER 🏆!

(but I could record “WATCHES, WATCHES, TOUCH OF GOLD -LADY, LADY” here and you could play it on full volume if that would make you happy!)

A perfect Greek idyll…..

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

@uktog I do not think you are being negative.  You are honestly reporting on your real time experience.  I appreciate your candor and would rather have that then read posts that state everything is perfect.

The port is exactly what DH and I look for.  When we rent cars and drive around Europe we seek out towns and villages which are not tourist magnets and usually have great experiences.

Please continue your thoughts on your experiences.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, cruisr said:

@uktog I do not think you are being negative.  You are honestly reporting on your real time experience.  I appreciate your candor and would rather have that then read posts that state everything is perfect.

The port is exactly what DH and I look for.  When we rent cars and drive around Europe we seek out towns and villages which are not tourist magnets and usually have great experiences.

Please continue your thoughts on your experiences.

If you can ever stop here on a cruise it’s very special in my mind. I’ve decided if I run away that’s where I’m going - oops I’ve told folks where to find me. 

Sunset from the ship 

IMG_6911.jpeg

• Like 5