Embarkation Day - most efficient approach?

Meliador

We will be boarding QM2 in 6 days (M430 New England-Canada cruise); we have been assigned a boarding time of 12:15pm (we are in QG). We have booked a hotel through Cunard for the night before, and they are providing the transfer hotel-port, but don’t know if we will be transferred along with people who may have a later boarding time.

Given that this is the very first time we are sailing with Cunard, we have not yet developed a “best approach” once embarking. Is there a separate line at the port security and check-in for Grills?  And once we board, what is the best sequence of event? Should we get lunch, then get to Muster Drill and finally unpack?  Or try to score planetarium tickets with the concierge? When do we meet our butler? Sorry for the barrage of questions. I am very interested in hearing how repeat  Grills guests handle embarkation day.

Thank you in advance!

There is a separate line for check in for grills. The security is common for everyone but since you pass security right after check in you will be through quickly since everybody else comes after the grills. 

On board, it depends on your actual boarding time. Your luggage might not have reached your suite yet. So i would recommend to check out your suite, your butler will be in the vicinity. Check your daily program provided in the suite for restaurant opening times, muster drill procedures, departure time and so on. Head for lunch. Unpack afterwards. 

• Like 1

In Brooklyn, the setup is different from Southampton with regard to the order of check-in and the security screening. The security screening comes first at Brooklyn with no separate line for grills guests that I'm aware of. Once through security, there is a separate priority check-in line for grills guests and anyone else with priority because of their Cunard World Club status. We've found that line is often long enough by the time we've made it through security that sometimes it doesn't offer much of an advantage over those in line for non-priority check-in. But once you've made it through check-in and if boarding hasn't started yet, there is a separate priority waiting room at Brooklyn where grills guests are invited to board first once boarding starts.

• Like 3

Once on board, I would prioritize lunch, as long as it is after 1:00.  You will arrive before your luggage, so plan to unpack later in the afternoon.  I doubt if the Planetarium will be booked up, so make that a lower priority for your meet-up with the concierge.  Your butler will be hovering around your suite and will introduce himself/herself.

• Like 1

Meliador,

Sailing in the Grills is a wonderful experience. From my personal experience I would suggest arriving at the terminal at 12:15PM. Once onboard meet your butler, let him familiarize you with your cabin and the Grills experience. After that, enjoy a relaxing lunch in the Grills dining room. Following lunch, you can unpack, with your butler's assistance if you like, and then consider taking some time exploring the QM2 (including how to get to the Queen's Rm & G32). For departure, you may want to join the festivities on the aft decks but I highly recommend being on top of deck 13 forward as the ship approaches and passes under the Verrazano Bridge.  After passing under the bridge you can leisurely make your way back to your cabin to dress for dinner and then head to the Grills lounge for a pre dinner beverage. After dinner there will be numerous venues offering all types of music and dancing. 

Can't wait to read your feedback.

Jack

• Like 4

@Meliador Make sure you read and understand what was posted by @bluemarbleregarding security versus check-in and Grills. The people in Brooklyn don’t always understand that Grills should be in the priority line. I noted that our boarding tickets for tomorrow have printed on them “Priority” and I hope that helps the situation in Brooklyn. Then follow @Jack E Dawson advice regarding sail away. Have a great cruise!

• Like 1

Thank you both! I just double checked our boarding passes and it does say “priority boarding”. I had not even paid attention to that! My only unknown at this point is the hotel-port transfer that is part of the Cunard hotel package. I’m thinking that if we are pooled with other people that have a later port arrival, we will instead Uber earlier to the Port. 

We shipped luggage through Luggage Forward (2 suitcases for evening wear). Thanks to our AirTags, I can see that the luggage is in a warehouse 0.25 mile from the Red Hook pier, so all good there! 

We are beyond excited…4 sleeps before boarding! 

1 hour ago, Meliador said:

I’m thinking that if we are pooled with other people that have a later port arrival, we will instead Uber earlier to the Port. 

GOOD PLAN.

I'm sure you will enjoy your crossing and I would be willing to bet it won't be your only one on the QM2. You may be surprised just how much there is to do and how full your days will unexpectedly become. I have especially enjoyed the water color classes. They are offered in the morning or in the afternoon and you can alternate to fit your schedule but is every day and cumulative. My wife and I also enjoy the Insights lecture program and usually attend 2-3 each day. The food and service in the Grills is outstanding but be sure to have breakfast in bed at least once and the Golden Lion Pub is great fun for lunch (recommend the fish&chips). However, our favorite venue is the Promenade Deck. We try to walk at least 2 miles (6 laps) each day and will challenge the weather to do that (bring a hoodie). We especially enjoy just sitting in the deck chairs, if the sun is out, and watch the Atlantic Ocean go by. On our last crossing in June, we spotted 2 pods of wales. Quite exciting. 

Jack

• Like 4

@Jack E Dawson thank you so much! We plan to do breakfast in our stateroom on the day where we have an early excursion (Saguenay). My husband was wondering if he can take his little Garmin GPS on the ship? He likes dropping waypoints in his maps. We checked the list of prohibited items, and his device is not a position beacon, so it doesn’t appear to be problematic. We would hate to see this tech confiscated…

thank you in advance! 

1 hour ago, Germancruiser said:

I just finished my online check in and wanted to print my boarding pass. Even though My Travel states the Word Club tier  correct the boarding pass says World Club Status " RED" ! Has anyone an idea what that means?

Does your boarding pass say "Loyalty tier: RED"? That indicates Cunard thinks you are a first time cruiser. I'd recommend making sure your correct Cunard World Club number (the one with all your previous voyage history and its associated loyalty tier) has been assigned to this booking. It might be the case that a new first-time Cunard World Club number has been assigned to this booking. You'll want to make sure the correct Cunard World Club number is on your booking in order to receive the associated onboard benefits during this voyage and also to make sure this voyage adds to your previous voyage history rather than starting a new voyage history with a new Cunard World Club number.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The short pre-embarkation report is intended to provide information that I hope will be useful. As first time Cunard passengers, we decided to book through Cunard the hotel as well as transfers to the ship as part of our vacation.

The transfer from airport-hotel went really well. Even though our flight arrived 1.5 hour late into LaGuardia, a Cunard representative was waiting for us in the luggage area with a prominent sign at the foot of the escalators. He promptly called us a private transfer (the equivalent of Uber black Service).  We made it to the hotel, and it took about an hour given that it was Friday afternoon traffic.

We picked the Knickerbocker on the corner of 42nd and Broadway. This location is in the middle of Times Square, and can be a little overwhelming, with the amount of people, activity and noise nearby. However, two blocks in the opposite direction (heading east) and less than a 5 min walk, you have Bryant park, a wonderful place with lots of trees, nice restaurants, and even an outside bar (called the Porch). We walked around the park at night; it was very safe and there were lots of families, enjoying a balmy and unusually warm Friday night.

When we checked-in the hotel clerk gave us an envelope that provided details on the Sunday transfer to Redhook (and Cunard contact information if further help was needed). It appears that it will be a private transfer way in time for our 12:15 pm embarkation time (10:45am in front of the hotel). I will report more on embarkation day itself in another post.

TIPS: (1) Right across the street from Bryant Park on 6th Avenue (between 41st and 42nd St.), you will find a Whole Foods. It has several floors and a lot of food choices if you want to eat little snacks in your room without breaking the bank with room service.  Also next to the Knickerbocker, there is a nice wine store called Bryant Park Wines (on 42nd St.). All of these are less than  five minute walk from the hotel.

(2) the Knickerbocker has a nice rooftop bar (St Cloud) that also serves light meals. It is in high demand and you normally cannot get in without a reservation. However just mention to the Host at the Rooftop bar that you are a hotel guest and they will find you a table without a prior reservation (they hold tables for that purpose). It is literally across the New York Times building  that has the big ball  that gets dropped to mark the new year in Times Square.

(3) also, ask for a room a little farther from the elevators because hallway foot traffic  can be a little noisy. The room itself is really nice and has upscale amenities (fridge, rainshower, Dyptique Paris bath products, though no in-room coffee machine, so buy that cold espresso brew at Whole Foods!!). Breakfast buffet (on the 4th floor) is top notch and included in the Cunard package. However those who are light sleepers might find that the noise from Times Square is slightly annoying (i slept through it, but my husband noticed these drum players that kept playing late into the evening).

More to come in the next days! Thank you again Cruisecritic community for all the valuable insights.

Louise & Steve

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Meliador said:

The short pre-embarkation report is intended to provide information that I hope will be useful. As first time Cunard passengers, we decided to book through Cunard the hotel as well as transfers to the ship as part of our vacation.

The transfer from airport-hotel went really well. Even though our flight arrived 1.5 hour late into LaGuardia, a Cunard representative was waiting for us in the luggage area with a prominent sign at the foot of the escalators. He promptly called us a private transfer (the equivalent of Uber black Service).  We made it to the hotel, and it took about an hour given that it was Friday afternoon traffic.

We picked the Knickerbocker on the corner of 42nd and Broadway. This location is in the middle of Times Square, and can be a little overwhelming, with the amount of people, activity and noise nearby. However, two blocks in the opposite direction (heading east) and less than a 5 min walk, you have Bryant park, a wonderful place with lots of trees, nice restaurants, and even an outside bar (called the Porch). We walked around the park at night; it was very safe and there were lots of families, enjoying a balmy and unusually warm Friday night.

When we checked-in the hotel clerk gave us an envelope that provided details on the Sunday transfer to Redhook (and Cunard contact information if further help was needed). It appears that it will be a private transfer way in time for our 12:15 pm embarkation time (10:45am in front of the hotel). I will report more on embarkation day itself in another post.

TIPS: (1) Right across the street from Bryant Park on 6th Avenue (between 41st and 42nd St.), you will find a Whole Foods. It has several floors and a lot of food choices if you want to eat little snacks in your room without breaking the bank with room service.  Also next to the Knickerbocker, there is a nice wine store called Bryant Park Wines (on 42nd St.). All of these are less than  five minute walk from the hotel.

(2) the Knickerbocker has a nice rooftop bar (St Cloud) that also serves light meals. It is in high demand and you normally cannot get in without a reservation. However just mention to the Host at the Rooftop bar that you are a hotel guest and they will find you a table without a prior reservation (they hold tables for that purpose). It is literally across the New York Times building  that has the big ball  that gets dropped to mark the new year in Times Square.

(3) also, ask for a room a little farther from the elevators because hallway foot traffic  can be a little noisy. The room itself is really nice and has upscale amenities (fridge, rainshower, Dyptique Paris bath products, though no in-room coffee machine, so buy that cold espresso brew at Whole Foods!!). Breakfast buffet (on the 4th floor) is top notch and included in the Cunard package. However those who are light sleepers might find that the noise from Times Square is slightly annoying (i slept through it, but my husband noticed these drum players that kept playing late into the evening).

More to come in the next days! Thank you again Cruisecritic community for all the valuable insights.

Louise & Steve

I’m glad you’re leaving town soon. UN General Assembly this week and it’s going to be crazy. 

• Like 1

On 9/20/2024 at 2:19 AM, Germancruiser said:

I just finished my online check in and wanted to print my boarding pass. Even though My Travel states the Word Club tier  correct the boarding pass says World Club Status " RED" ! Has anyone an idea what that means?

Do you have a 'Cunard World Club Tier' ? as 'Red' on a boarding card indicates that one hasn't yet reached the first  level  

All boarding cards will indicate the following ;  'Priority' is for Grill guests (QG&PG) and Britannia Club 'irrespective of any CWC loyalty level'.

Diamond or Platinum on the boarding card is also Priority, 'irrespective of the category' the guest is travelling. 

The above group of guests may use the Priority Line for 'Priority Check-in'

Priority EMBARKATION (when announced ) will be in the following order;

QG

PG

Britannia Club

Diamond

Platinum 

EDITED TO ADD;

Pleased to read you now have your correct loyalty tier

I was a bit too quick in replying having overlooked the previous posts. 🙃

Edited by Bell Boy
  • Thanks 2