Seafood extravaganza at Ocean View buffet

Kordy

We just disembarked the Solstice on Sunday in Vancouver. On the last sea day they had an "Alaskan Fisherman's Feast" at the buffet during lunch. We dined at the Spa Cafe but popped in and grabbed a few photos. They had some elevated dessrts and lots of shrimp, smoked salmon and a chocolate fountain. We didn't walk around the entire buffet but saw people with mussels and other seafood on their plates. Enjoy!

IMG_4709.thumb.jpeg.9a758b8b19189bba85554d1c7dfadf83.jpeg

IMG_4714.jpeg

IMG_4713.jpeg

IMG_4712.jpeg

Edited by BeachTunes
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, chrismch said:

I have NEVER seen lobster on a cruiseship buffet with the exception of the one time I was on a maiden voyage on a cruise and the ship was hosting a large group of travel agents. The only unlimited seafood is the chilled shrimp and smoked salmon.

I have. Oceania and/or MSC Yacht Club has/had warm water lobster tails on the buffet. Silversea has "high end" seafood daily on their lunch buffet, sushi and sashimi too - no need to call it a seafood extravaganza. In addition, SIlversea cruises often has a Seafood extravaganza during one lunch on their sailings that includes cold lobster, crab legs, crab claws, shrimp, mussels, clams... all presented in a beautiful display.

15 minutes ago, billc23 said:

And it is still Celebrity. I am amazed at the OVC stampede for a buffet offering that is mostly shrimp.

If the way some act at this seafood event, like they have never seen or will again see a shrimp, is truly laughable in a OMFG way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Liao said:

If the way some act at this seafood event, like they have never seen or will again see a shrimp, is truly laughable in a OMFG way.

Seafood is very premium and expensive and rare in a buffet (in the real world) and so to have it on a buffet is definitely a "worthwhile" opportunity, worth taking advantage of.  Plus seafood is something that many people don't get to try out as often as chicken/pork/meat/potatoes/pasta, so this is a good opportunity to try out various seafoods, that you don't normally have access to.

I'm not poor or anything, but I personally, would always want to check out a seafood buffet, more so than check out a standard buffet.

Edited by Kordy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Kordy said:

Seafood is very premium and expensive and rare in a buffet (in the real world) and so to have it on a buffet is definitely a "worthwhile" opportunity, worth taking advantage of.  Plus seafood is something that many people don't get to try out as often as chicken/pork/meat/potatoes/pasta, so this is a good opportunity to try out various seafoods, that you don't normally have access to.

I'm not poor or anything, but I personally, would always want to check out a seafood buffet, more so than check out a standard buffet.

and some of us look for the lamb as we live with bountiful good seafood including cold water lobster

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

and some of us look for the lamb as we live with bountiful good seafood including cold water lobster

So true. I live on the seacoast - Gulf of Maine/Atlantic. Cold water lobster are typically $5 to $7 per pound steamed. Two pound bags of white shrimp (26/30 size) were on sale for $7. Local lobster rolls on the Maine seacoast with 10 ounces of claw and knuckle meat for $25 - but $11 on sale for us locals. "Seafood is very premium and expensive and rare in a buffet" is not true where I live. It costs more to go to McDonalds!

IMG_6430.thumb.JPG.94d7bb47cec2071eb1b39352e21914cc.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billc23 said:

So true. I live on the seacoast - Gulf of Maine/Atlantic. Cold water lobster are typically $5 to $7 per pound steamed. Two pound bags of white shrimp (26/30 size) were on sale for $7. Local lobster rolls on the Maine seacoast with 10 ounces of claw and knuckle meat for $25 - but $11 on sale for us locals. "Seafood is very premium and expensive and rare in a buffet" is not true where I live. It costs more to go to McDonalds!

IMG_6430.thumb.JPG.94d7bb47cec2071eb1b39352e21914cc.JPG

$11 USD for a lobster roll?  I live in NYC, which is on the NE cost of the USA and the cheapest lobster roll that I have seen is around $27 USD and believe me, it wasn't even loaded with lobster (maybe 7 oz of lobster at most).

I feel like even in Maine, lobster rolls have gotten WAY more expensive, due to inflation.  Gone are the days when you could drive to Maine, from NYC and feel like you're getting lobster dishes at bargain prices.

14 hours ago, billc23 said:

And it is still Celebrity. I am amazed at the OVC stampede for a buffet offering that is mostly shrimp.

We had something similar on the buffet on Millie.  And yes, there was a stampede.  People must not eat for a month or two before they get on the ship 🤣  The only thing that would be more entertaining is if they had it around 10 PM when they were tipsy and stampeding 🤣

Edited by NMTraveller

12 hours ago, Kordy said:

Come on down to Vegas.  We have zillions of seafood buffets ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

so back in the day when hubby was a country school kid ; the poor kids like him had to take lobster in their lunch cans to school.. TRUE.. common in Nova Scotia , Newfoundland, PEI and New Brunswick. On a good day they could trade for peanut butter. He swore he would never eat lobster again but now he loves it . He won't touch mackerel which was lobster bate

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Come on down to Vegas.  We have zillions of seafood buffets ...

Exactly.  If the OP is so intent on having seafood he should choose another location/type of vacation instead of complaining about the ship's buffet.

• Like 1

Spending almost half the year in Maine each year...I have learned where to get the best lobster roll.  The one I make at home.  😉  

For many, the "tourist version" of a lobster roll has mayo, lettuce and a variety of "fillers".   The true "Traditional" lobster roll is simply chunks of lobster tossed with melted butter on a toasted NE style roll.  Simple...no fillers.  😋

• Like 2

23 hours ago, billc23 said:

I have. Oceania and/or MSC Yacht Club has/had warm water lobster tails on the buffet. Silversea has "high end" seafood daily on their lunch buffet, sushi and sashimi too - no need to call it a seafood extravaganza. In addition, SIlversea cruises often has a Seafood extravaganza during one lunch on their sailings that includes cold lobster, crab legs, crab claws, shrimp, mussels, clams... all presented in a beautiful display.

You get what you pay for.

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Spending almost half the year in Maine each year...I have learned where to get the best lobster roll.  The one I make at home.  😉  

For many, the "tourist version" of a lobster roll has mayo, lettuce and a variety of "fillers".   The true "Traditional" lobster roll is simply chunks of lobster tossed with melted butter on a toasted NE style roll.  Simple...no fillers.  😋

Connecticut vs Maine style. A tourist in CT gets the warm one with butter, a tourist in Maine gets the cold one with mayo. Made at home, the warm lobster roll with butter is great. Not true at most restaurants that serve warm lobster rolls. At restaurants they usually have the lobster meat in a warm container with the melted butter so the lobster meat becomes overcooked after a short period of time. At home I can stop by the local lobster pound, pick up some fresh steamed lobsters to take home, and make a fresh lobster roll with butter. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, billc23 said:

Connecticut vs Maine style. A tourist in CT gets the warm one with butter, a tourist in Maine gets the cold one with mayo. Made at home, the warm lobster roll with butter is great. Not true at most restaurants that serve warm lobster rolls. At restaurants they usually have the lobster meat in a warm container with the melted butter so the lobster meat becomes overcooked after a short period of time. At home I can stop by the local lobster pound, pick up some fresh steamed lobsters to take home, and make a fresh lobster roll with butter. 

Exactly what we would do, though I have many times just picked up cold lobster meat from the lobster pound.  Easier than shelling them myself.  😉 

I toss the lobster meat around in a skillet with butter, until just warm..then spoon into the butter toasted NE style rolls....Mmmm....yummy!   Of course being spoiled with "Real" lobster, cold water tails with claws (best part of the lobster for me)...I can't eat warm water no claw lobster any longer.  Those are really just big Crawfish....IMHO😄 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Exactly what we would do, though I have many times just picked up cold lobster meat from the lobster pound.  Easier than shelling them myself.  😉 

I toss the lobster meat around in a skillet with butter, until just warm..then spoon into the butter toasted NE style rolls....Mmmm....yummy!   Of course being spoiled with "Real" lobster, cold water tails with claws (best part of the lobster for me)...I can't eat warm water no claw lobster any longer.  Those are really just big Crawfish....IMHO😄 

most cruisers think the little tails served onboard are actually lobster. I just roll my eyes. They have clearly never had live lobster racers on the kitchen floor for the grandkids and then steamed for a feed with melted butter. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, gold1953 said:

most cruisers think the little tails served onboard are actually lobster. I just roll my eyes. They have clearly never had live lobster racers on the kitchen floor for the grandkids and then steamed for a feed with melted butter. 

LOL....now I can't get that scene out of my head....lobster races....toooo funny!  😄  

Let's eat!!  😍

20210617_182826.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/19/2024 at 12:24 AM, chrismch said:

I have NEVER seen lobster on a cruiseship buffet with the exception of the one time I was on a maiden voyage on a cruise and the ship was hosting a large group of travel agents. The only unlimited seafood is the chilled shrimp and smoked salmon.

We had king and snow crab legs along with shrimp at the seafood buffet in January but all of the food was served You couldn’t help yourself. The line was very long and there was only shrimp left by 12:45. I haven’t seen lobster since the midnight buffets in the early 80’s.

Edited by Torfamm
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

We had king and snow crab legs along with shrimp at the seafood buffet in January but all of the food was served You couldn’t help yourself. The line was very long and there was only shrimp left by 12:45. I haven’t seen lobster since the midnight buffets in the early 80’s.

and they always serve the chocolate fountain due the disgusting insanitary habits of many people

29 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

and they always serve the chocolate fountain due the disgusting insanitary habits of many people

When do they serve the chocolate fountain?  Is that only available on the last day of cruise?