Removing items from baggage

15 minutes ago, ceeceeDee said:

It had already started here with Royal because of our 240V. The US is catching up. They say surge protected on some cruise line T&C's here, and they say no power boards (strips) on others. On top of that, X-ray staff are not necessarily qualified to tell between A&B, so will confiscate anyway. Over the past 10 years, I have watched the electrical confiscation table grow in size each year.

Makes some sort of sense - a cabin with 4 power outlets would be presumed to be rated to power 4 appliances, not multiples of appliances plugged into power boards. We haven't packed a board since covid restart. We pack US and Euro pin adaptors to get extra outlets, as well as double outlet power bricks - both are light to pack and safer for everyone.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, arxcards said:

Your Micellar in an appropriately labelled bottle is OK though, even though there is a distrust that Listerine bottles may contain Creme de Menthe, and shampoo bottles can contain Baileys etc. It is the same reason that they prohibit bottles of Iced "Scotch" Tea and Spring "Vodka" water.

The local cruise lines, particularly P&O, got bored with the charade. Not only were people trying to get some sly grog aboard, they were sharing their tips here, travel blogs & social media. Rum Runners were popular, and you could even buy replacement soft drink bottle caps on ebay to factory seal your home made premix. No sense of humour indeed, but people had been taking the mickey out of their rules for years.

Anybody bringing Creme de Menthe should be barred from boarding anyway!😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I see the OP has not replied to the thread.... maybe they are too embarrased about what they had confiscated?

I remember when we did our cruise in 2018 I was reading the passenger contract (celebrity) and they had a list of what was prohibited to bring on the cruise.... there was all the usual stuff like firearms, ammunition, knives, fireworks...etc... but at the bottom they had 'kayak'.

I'm assuming someone had once turned up at the embarkation port with a kayak... and because it wasn't on the prohibited list they were allowed to take it on board?

when we dropped our bags off they had 2 guys there taking the suitcases waving a multibox saying if we have one to remove it from the suitcase as it is not prohibited

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Muffinz said:

I see the OP has not replied to the thread.... maybe they are too embarrased about what they had confiscated?

Yes, their post does seem to have been written in a hasty "vent while I'm still mad about it" kind of way. That mood where ten minutes later you realise it isn't that big a deal.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Muffinz said:

I remember when we did our cruise in 2018 I was reading the passenger contract (celebrity) and they had a list of what was prohibited to bring on the cruise.... there was all the usual stuff like firearms, ammunition, knives, fireworks...etc... but at the bottom they had 'kayak'.

I'm assuming someone had once turned up at the embarkation port with a kayak... and because it wasn't on the prohibited list they were allowed to take it on board?

when we dropped our bags off they had 2 guys there taking the suitcases waving a multibox saying if we have one to remove it from the suitcase as it is not prohibited

That is a possible presumption, but a stretch if you don't know the person. It is also very likely or remotely possible that:

- They have no internet (90% likely), choosing not to buy exorbitant ship internet. They won't be back in Sydney till Friday to confirm/deny this possibility,

- their charger was confiscated and they have a flat battery,

- they didn't subscribe to the topic and are disappointed while awaiting a topic notification,

- they are having a great time on their well deserved holiday, and are happy to park this till they get home. At any rate, Carnival's T&C's seem to give them the right to remove restricted items without you being present.

2018 - lots has changed around having powerboards on cruise ships since then. Even electric scooters were allowed to be taken on some ships back then.

• Like 2

On 9/22/2024 at 8:07 AM, arxcards said:

If you were to take bottles of it in your hand luggage when boarding Carnival or P&O in Australia, it would be confiscated and disposed of. Still amazing that with Carnival you can take a bottle of wine aboard now, but not a bottle of water.

Just checking  When did Carnival allow Australians to take wine on board?  I thought it was only USA cruises permitted   Hope you are correct as we have a Carnival cruise in October and a bottle of wine would be nice

I just answered my own question by seeing it on another thread  However it says that if you drink your permitted 1 bottle of wine in the restaurant etc there is a corkage charge of $15   I am just wondering (as this was a thread from 2023) is the corkage charge still $15>?

8 minutes ago, windsor26 said:

Just checking  When did Carnival allow Australians to take wine on board?  I thought it was only USA cruises permitted   Hope you are correct as we have a Carnival cruise in October and a bottle of wine would be nice

In the past year or so  - both here and in the US.

• Like 2

Yes you can take one bottle of wine per adult on Carnival Luminosa and Splendor.

The way around the corkage fee is either drinking it in your cabin or pouring a glass and carrying it with you to the restaurant. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, windsor26 said:

I just answered my own question by seeing it on another thread  However it says that if you drink your permitted 1 bottle of wine in the restaurant etc there is a corkage charge of $15   I am just wondering (as this was a thread from 2023) is the corkage charge still $15>?

I believe it is now $30aud

4 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

Oops sorry, meant Princess now charge $30

I assumed Carnival would probably update the same.

The Carnival site that I found still says $15  so I am hopeful

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, windsor26 said:

The Carnival site that I found still says $15  so I am hopeful

Evidently Princess upped their charge recently.

Hopefully your right and they don't follow Princess's lead.😬

10 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

Evidently Princess upped their charge recently.

Hopefully your right and they don't follow Princess's lead.😬

Yes Princess went to $30 about a year ago just after we left the world cruise on the Coral

6 minutes ago, windsor26 said:

Yes Princess went to $30 about a year ago just after we left the world cruise on the Coral

Only became aware of the increase recently, as we're doing a cruise with then in about 4 weeks.

Had been planning to take several bottles with us, but $30 bucks makes me think twice, may go tea total for the cruise.☹️

That is, except for the one each we take for cabin use.🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

Only became aware of the increase recently, as we're doing a cruise with then in about 4 weeks.

Had been planning to take several bottles with us, but $30 bucks makes me think twice, may go tea total for the cruise.☹️

Edited by windsor26

18 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

Good idea.  You can always buy an occasional drink in port.  $30 corkage is ridiculous.  Who is making these rules?  Many people in Australia buy a bottle of wine to enjoy with their meal for less than $30!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Good idea.  You can always buy an occasional drink in port.  $30 corkage is ridiculous.  Who is making these rules?  Many people in Australia buy a bottle of wine to enjoy with their meal for less than $30!!

You can buy reasonable wine for under $20/bottle.

But from what I'm told, even $20 bottle + $30 corkage, its still cheaper than buying a bottle of mediocre wine on board.

I don't have a current wine menu so not sure of the current charges.