Saving some money on next cruise

5 hours ago, artvlay said:

This thread brings up a question that someone asked me over the weekend while on Symphony. If someone wants to remove automatic gratuities and pay their people directly how do you determine what to give each person based on their position. It used to be something like $3.50 pp per day for waiter and room steward. The assistant waiter would get $1.75.

What would the current breakdown be?

Here are 2 gratuity breakdowns...Symphony and Odyssey.

20231103_002037.jpg

20231127_005645.jpg

21 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

Here are 2 gratuity breakdowns...Symphony and Odyssey.

20231103_002037.jpg

20231127_005645.jpg

I wonder why the dining room receives more than the state room attendant? Is it because the dining room covers more people? I leave my gratuities alone and add for specific services, I’m just curious.

3 minutes ago, Sonic2012 said:

I wonder why the dining room receives more than the state room attendant? Is it because the dining room covers more people? I leave my gratuities alone and add for specific services, I’m just curious.

I think it is because there are more servers involved with each table sharing the gratuity v stateroom attendants.  The gratuities also cover the buffet and other included venues.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

But, as mentioned before, what you are referring to and have been booking into are non-published established group rates offered directly by the cruise line through all TA's, or through other group rates available for TA's on a given itinerary.  These other rates are based on blocks of rooms consigned to that or other TA's that are available to book into at individual rates.  They are also not available directly through the cruise line to individual bookings.

Not all TA's will always have access to group rates.  Only TA's that belong to agencies that are part of large consortiums that block rates on nearly all sailings will be able to see the group rates.  Many small to medium agencies will only block a very limited number of sailings and without a group blocked they will not see or be able to book into the group rates on most of the dates.

It is quite possible that when the OP asked his agent about group rates his agent did not have a group blocked or belonged to a consortium that did so the agent would not have seen the group rates.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tvo7 said:

I am not rich.  My mom and dad only have a few years left to live.  They want to see the grandchildren go on one last cruise with them.  So I am researching this.

I was not going to go anymore ruises because I am not very well off and cruises have gotten so expensive..  But this was one last dream for my parents.  I saved up for this trip but trying to find ways to save money.  

I called my TA and they said I need 16 people for group rate.

I think it's a very nice thing to do for your mom & dad, and for their grandchildren. That's very kind of you. God bless you for doing that.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Ken at the beach said:

Not all TA's will always have access to group rates.  Only TA's that belong to agencies that are part of large consortiums that block rates on nearly all sailings will be able to see the group rates.  Many small to medium agencies will only block a very limited number of sailings and without a group blocked they will not see or be able to book into the group rates on most of the dates.

It is quite possible that when the OP asked his agent about group rates his agent did not have a group blocked or belonged to a consortium that did so the agent would not have seen the group rates.

True there are limits to those that can be accessed by all.  I was mainly trying to differentiate between those rates as you describe that are accessible to TA's from those resulting from individually generated groups defined by the 8 double stateroom bookings minimum. 

I sensed from the OP's response as provided by the TA that the TA was referring to forming a private group required to gain a favorable rate, perhaps as a result of not having access to those others.  This is what sparked my original comments (#22) that then were further repeated to the other poster (#24).

54 minutes ago, Sonic2012 said:

Here's one from our recent Wonder of the Seas sailings, Sept. 1 - 15, 2024.

20240923_123627.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

An ancillary question I have is that it took a California law to make the cruise lines change advertised pricing to all in.  How much longer til they just add gratuities as mandatory/part of the price? 

Just for arguments sake if a double occupancy balcony costs $1200 a person for a 7 day cruise would it really effect demand significantly if the price were $1326 (1200+7x18 a day right?).  Given the demand and their ability to still fill ships even at recent higher prices I'm guessing they could - and of course with all their data as demand slows they drop the price.  I bet they are studying it, and I for one would not be surprised to see this implemented in the next few years.

In fact, one could argue that it is already in place for Star class rooms as these folks have gratuities included in the price of their room and I'm betting their stateroom attendants and wait staff are still getting paid. They just build it into the price of those rooms right?  So next they could go down to sky class, add it as a perk and boom before you know it its in all pricings.

29 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I think it's a very nice thing to do for your mom & dad, and for their grandchildren. That's very kind of you. God bless you for doing that.

Agreed.

@tvo7 please don’t let yourself be guilt-tripped into thinking you’re doing a bad thing. You’re absolutely not.

It’s not your fault if a large, profit-making corporation refuses to pay its staff a living wage. You shouldn’t feel pressured into topping it up.

Thankfully the vast majority of countries in the world have a far more civilised approach to tipping. On merit, or even not at all.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by gumshoe958
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

You also can save money on the waiter and time on your daily schedule by avoiding the MDR and just buffet/windjammer meals. Just as a thought. Been a cruise or two where we never did MDR as it was too long of an ordeal or we did not feel like changing clothes.

15 hours ago, tvo7 said:

I want to do 1 last cruise with my family and I am looking at Harmony of the seas 8 days to Eastern Caribbean with a stop in Coco Cay. 

What's this one last cruise thing?  

15 hours ago, tvo7 said:

Unfortunately, I am not rich like everyone else on here and I am a tight budget.  There will be 6 of my family members.  2 interior rooms with 3 people in each.

You're wielding the "rich thing" like it's an insult.  

If you want connecting rooms, you should book soon -- those rooms go fast.  

15 hours ago, tvo7 said:

To save money, I will only be doing free things.  No paying extra for restaurants, no excursions off the ship, no drink package, just free things.

When our kids were younger and we all shared one room, we always went with a balcony -- cheapest way to get more space /a "second room".  

When we retired, we decided to see just how cheaply we could cruise (and, obviously, still enjoy it).  Now we're fans of the Inside Guarantee, and we usually spend less than $200 for drinks onboard.  

We do spend for experiences during island stops.  You didn't mention your plans, but you might end up spending extra during your stops.  Except Coco Cay -- no need to spend a penny to have a great time there.  Doing nothing on multiple islands isn't going to be big fun for the kids.  

15 hours ago, tvo7 said:

I was thinking of just handing cash of 50$ to each stateroom attendant, 20 dollars to the waiter and 10 to his assistant in the main dining room.  

So you're going to give the guy $7.14 /day to clean the rooms for six people.  Just over $1 /per person /day.  

Worse, you're going to tip the head waiter .47 per person per day /.15 per meal served.  

And the poor assistant waiter will only get half of that:  .24 per person per day /.08 per meal served.  

Seriously?  Dallas Guy gave you a fair run-down.  Do you want to be that person?  

I know you're wanting people to say, "Yeah, do it -- stick it to 'em!  Nothing they can do about it!"  And a few people on this site may agree, but it won't be me.  

8 hours ago, tvo7 said:

They were wanting to do a big ship so it will be a little more expensive. I asked them about ships like mariner and they did not want it, just new ship.

11 and 9 year olds have an opinion between Mariner and ... was it Harmony?  I'm not buying it.  

Suggestions on how to book at a lower price ... without cheating anyone: 

- You don't say when you're planning to sail, but consider booking off-season.  The prices are quite a bit cheaper. 

- Consider a smaller, older ship.  A mid-sized ship will give the kids plenty to do.  

- How do you plan to reach the port?  Hopefully you're driving, as it's cheaper -- especially with six people.  How about taking the train?  Kids under 16 travel for half-price.  

- What about holding a yard sale?  How else could you raise your budget? 

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bonsai3s said:

Here's one from our recent Wonder of the Seas sailings, Sept. 1 - 15, 2024.

20240923_123627.jpg

Out of curiosity, what is this paper from? I never saw this "official looking" document. This is exactly what we were talking about.

Thank you.

Do not consider these “tips.”  They are a service charge that is the the majority of their compensation. I hope you reconsider this strategy. 

And, yes, on many RCI cruise, a big TA can offer you group rates lower than even direct with RCI. We have booked many that were 20-50% lower. So, maybe that could save you $. 

Edited by elaine5
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, elaine5 said:

Do not consider these “tips.”  They are a service charge that is the the majority of their compensation. I hope you reconsider this strategy. 

Couldn't disagree more. Service charges are generally billed to you and . I had to pay a service charge to my furnace company last week. It wasn't optional. Gratuities on royal Caribbean are optional and they are called gratuities for a reason. If they are service charges call them that and bill people accordingly. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KarlK said:

You also can save money on the waiter and time on your daily schedule by avoiding the MDR and just buffet/windjammer meals. Just as a thought. 

The MDR wait staff also share time in the Windjammer.  There are staff who work there in various service capacities as well, you know.  So the idea that you are not using their service by avoiding the MDR isn't accurate. Your gratuities also support their time in the Windjammer.

Are you allowed to say on here which travel agents that have group rates or do I just google it?

Definition of rich? Let's just say this , I will be working to the day I die.  Let's say life events destroyed me

I cannot take the kids out of school to go off season cruise so unfortunately I have to go during peak times

I will go to Galveston and take Harmony out of there.  Only have to pay for parking.

I will also save on drink package by bringing my own coke onboard for the drinks.

I will not get off the ship at all except for coco cay.  I will just enjoy the free stuff on the ship.

I  want to have the kids enjoy coco cay, and harmony will go there out of galveston so I dont have to book plane tickets.  Plane tickets are really expensive right now.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tvo7 said:

Are you allowed to say on here which travel agents that have group rates or do I just google it?

I will not get off the ship at all except for coco cay.  I will just enjoy the free stuff on the ship.

We cannot mention TA's by name. Just try different ones to compare their best rates available.  As mentioned before just ask for their best fares for your itinerary.

There are many things to do in ports of call that don't require you to spend money.  IMO it would be a shame to not see any of the ports of call you may visit.  And many of the things to do on CocoCay require an upcharge.  Just enjoy the pool and beach areas to avoid that.

17 minutes ago, tvo7 said:

Definition of rich? Let's just say this , I will be working to the day I die.  Let's say life events destroyed me

I cannot take the kids out of school to go off season cruise so unfortunately I have to go during peak times

I will go to Galveston and take Harmony out of there.  Only have to pay for parking.

I will also save on drink package by bringing my own coke onboard for the drinks.

I  want to have the kids enjoy coco cay, and harmony will go there out of galveston so I dont have to book plane tickets.  Plane tickets are really expensive right now.

It's cheaper probably to stay the night before at scottish inn. Then drop everyone but 1 person off at the terminal. Scottish inn offers free cruise parking and their hotel rate is often less than parking at the port. ... just saying.

Sign 1 person up for their shuttle for $10 .. they offer a nice shuttle. The hotel is clean and has a pool but no elevator.. just saying I could save you money lol. Scottish inn is not close to anything, except across from the ferry but the price booked ahead is good,cheaper than parking at the port.

• Like 1

Scottish inn?  Could I reserve a room, the day before, arrive the morning of and they shuttle my family in?  In other words. Rent the room, but never stay in?

I park at port parking for about 120 dollars for 7 days.  If I can get cheaper hotel than that with free shuttle, that would be amazing.

That is a good idea too.  I eat 3 times a day in Windjammer and pizza place then I dont need to tip MDR attendant.  I can also avoid formal.night also.  

For kids, long story short,  I have to use birth certificates to get them aboard and do not have access to their passports.  I know I can let them off on cocoa cay, but I am.afraid to let them walk too far in cozumel or Nassau in case something happens.  

1 hour ago, tvo7 said:

Each adult is allowed to bring 1 bottle of wine.  

Do you plan on mixing the soda with alcohol?  If so, tips are automatically charged to any drink.

3 hours ago, chfenton said:

Couldn't disagree more. Service charges are generally billed to you and . I had to pay a service charge to my furnace company last week. It wasn't optional. Gratuities on royal Caribbean are optional and they are called gratuities for a reason. If they are service charges call them that and bill people accordingly. 

Whether you like it or not, a lot of crew members on ships depend heavily on gratuities to make an adequate income. It is no different than servers in most US restaurants who couldn’t survive financially without tips. Someone removing gratuities on a cruise is the same as going to a restaurant and not leaving a tip for your server. Both are unacceptable in my book. There are a lot of financial and tax implications behind why cruise ships and restaurants “pay” a lot of their employees thru gratuities/tips, but that is beyond the scope of this discussion.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, artvlay said:

Out of curiosity, what is this paper from? I never saw this "official looking" document. This is exactly what we were talking about.

Thank you.

You can get this at Guest Services.

* At Guest Services, we are often told they don't know what it is, or they don't have it. We simply ask the Concierge or Loyalty Ambassador (they work under Guest Services)...when they are not so busy.

* Gratiity Breakdowns are (from our experience), different from ship to ship.