Best way to book an Azamara cruise

Whatsmyline

I know that it's against the TOS to give referrals to travel agents or websites to book a cruise.

We've been on many cruises and have booked in various ways - thru the cruise line itself, big online companies, private travel agents etc.  I've found that some methods of booking are better with certain cruise lines.  This will be our 1st cruise with Azamara and our first small ship.

Opinions on which source to use with Azamara?

If you have a Travel Agent that you like who is very responsive,  the best way is to book with them. They will get you everything that Azamara is offering plus add their advice and benefits. 

Otherwise, book direct with Azamara and then transfer the booking to a Travel Agent that offers the best rebate. 

If you do your own planning, there’s no reason to leave 8-10% rebate on the table. 

If you don’t know where to get big rebates, we can’t guide you (even with hints). You’ll have to wait until you’re onboard and ask around. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the information!  But I've never heard of a "rebate".  (except [can’t be mentioned]).  Free upgrades, OBC, etc are what I've gotten from online booking companies.  The TA I've used before is ignorant about Azamara.  If I wait until we are on board, it's kinda late, right?

I know that referrals aren't possible (and understand why).  But

1. How does one go about finding a TA that knows Azamara?

2. Can someone explain "rebates" to me?

I have not found an agent that gives rebates, but what matters most to me is not the search for rebates but an agent who works on behalf of me to help when things go south, as they sometimes can.  I want an agent who knows the Azamara system and has booked with them before and maybe even has some contacts with Azamara.  

There have been a lot of issues with the Azamara web site once they cut cords with RCCL.  I wouldn’t book with Azamara directly unless I had at least sailed with them a couple of times.  You need advice on cabins and locations, etc.  Their systems are still a work in progress on the web site.  Go to an experienced professional travel agent, not the [deleted] for this booking.

And by the way, we have cruised a lot and Azamara is a favorite of ours!  You can’t go wrong with the cruise experience! Enjoy! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Apparently there are some agents who give rebate checks of maybe 7 to 10% back from their commission.  
I would try doing some googling for agents and Azamara.  Interview them!  Ask them if they regularly book Azamara or have sailed with them.  Make sure they are familiar with the line.

I have a TA who gives me an 8-10% rebate after every cruise. Not the best service, but after a gazilion cruises I don’t need handholding. 

But I can’t tell you (or hint at) who it is.  Ask on board. Lots of Azamara cruisers will know. 

Like Host Jazzbeau, I get a rebate of 8% - 10% of the commissionable fare on every Azamara cruise I book with my agent. This is in addition to any Azamara promotions. 

Although my agent is part of a very large travel agency, I have her direct number and she responds to calls quickly.

We too get a rebate plus other perks.

What I would suggest is calling a few agencies that deal in a variety of lines like Azamara, Viking and Oceania. If you want assistance about cabins, for example, come back to Cruise Critic because we have experience. We can help you avoid the cabins across from the laundry room or how loud are the elevator halls, or where are the cozy nooks to chill.

Welcome to Azamara!!!!!!

Within the scope of the original question, we are looking at our first Azamara cruise, but it is more than a year out, so air connections are not yet available. We don't want to miss this itinerary.

Is there a problem with booking a sailing this far out, then adding air connections at a later date?

I only ask because for a time, there were complaints about Azamara bookings, getting all things to connect on the Azamara end, adding flights and transfers. TIA!

46 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

Within the scope of the original question, we are looking at our first Azamara cruise, but it is more than a year out, so air connections are not yet available. We don't want to miss this itinerary.

Is there a problem with booking a sailing this far out, then adding air connections at a later date?

I only ask because for a time, there were complaints about Azamara bookings, getting all things to connect on the Azamara end, adding flights and transfers. TIA!

That’s been our usual way of doing things. We book the cruise, then book our own air as flights become available and book our own hotels and transfers.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

I always book my cruise and air separately. In which case there are no issues.

I always recommend flying in at least 1 day ahead of time, as protection against any flight interruptions/delays (as well as extra vacation). But I also know not everyone can do that. But if you do that, it is generally easy to arrange your own transfers, rather than to use Azamara's (or any cruiseline). I prefer to have control over my own schedule. If, for whatever reason, you are more comfortable relying on Azamara transfers, that will also be easy to arrange at a later date.

• Like 3

We get overwhelmed by offers on cruises in my inbox and through the post. Look for ones which have Azamara in their offers.

Alternatively go to the top of this page and click on find a cruise - advanced search - Cruise line menu - choose Azamara click on view all prices on the right hand side (if the cruise you are interested in listed all the better) click show more deals at the bottom. This will link you to about four or five travel agents who are selling this cruise. 

Book on board then call some from the list and say what will you give me to transfer to you?

We saved about £300 on our last cruise (which was not a terribly expensive one and was very nearly sold out) we got money off the total cost rather than OBC, rebate etc which is how it seems to work in the UK

My TA gives me the the choice: OBC, reduce the fare or check rebate after the cruise for about 9-10% of the base cruise price. Doesn't include taxes/fees.

I always take the cash rebate and use my credit card which gives me 3% cash back on travel. Otherwise I would be giving back the credit card cash back on the reduced fare.