Port Everglades to FLL for a 9:20 am flight?

Hi:

Jet Blue changed our flights for our cruise in March 2025. We were out of the country when they sent the email & could not respond right away.  We were originally booked on a flight leaving at 2:50 pm.  Now booked on flight leaving at 9:20 am.  If we self carry our luggage off & have a private car service booked, do you think we can make this flight?

I looked at Jet Blue flights & they  have one leaving at 2:00 pm, but not sure if they will allow us to change with no additional cost at this point, since we couldn't respond to their email right away.

Any thoughts?  Thanks!

Taxi's will be lined up and waiting...which may get you there quicker than looking for your private car service. Just make sure the taxi is metered and not a flat rate.

We have a 9:10am DL flight in March, have TSA and flight status so not too concerned. Worst case scenario there's a 10:00am flight next.

My recommendation would be carry your own luggage off - start lining up by 6:30am.  Taking a taxi will be quicker (in my opinion) then trying to find your private ride.  Taxis are lined up and ready out front.  The airport is literally 10 minutes away.  We have made flights that early but we do have TSA pre-check which also helps.  

Posted (edited)

We must be on the same cruise because JB changed our flight to 9:20 as well. No, there should not be a charge to change to the later flight. We decided to take the chance with the 9:20. We will carry off our own luggage and take a taxi. As long as the ship arrives on time in Port Everglades there shouldn't be a problem. We are willing to risk it. Good luck!

Edited by Saphire
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the advice!  We do have TSA pre-check & we can be up and lining up to leave the ship by 6:30.

As long as there are usually taxis lined up & ready to go, I guess we'll take the chance!

Saphire:  good luck to you as well!  

• Like 2

Probably the only port/airport combination I would take that chance on, but I would probably go for it as well. We've done carry off before and caught a 9am flight that we had standby for. Had the regular booked flight at noon in our back pocket though so I wasn't concerned. 

We are just the opposite of most and always stay a day pre, and post cruise. Have been on over 20 cruises and have had a few come into port on the late side, and or be held up for disembarkation. More than likely you will be fine, just not our cup of tea. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You should be able to change your flight with no cost, call and ask, that 9:20 am flight would be too stressful for me.  I have been on cruises where we got into Ft. Lauderdale on time, but had an emergency medical disembark, held us up for over an hour, then there was another issue, we didn't start to disembark until 9:30 am......call Jetblue, explain the situation and ask, I think you'll find you can change your flight.

I would also risk it, if you won't be too stressed. With precheck and the fact that the taxis will line up before you get off. I have been in line to get off ship and i am sometimes off before the official disembarking time. 

It also matters who is in your party, if you have children.... I wouldn't risk it. They add to much uncertainty, ie unplanned bathroom stops or oh I forget something...etc

Thanks everyone!  It's just my husband & me.  After discussion, we decided to go with the least stressful option & changed our flight with Jet Blue to the 2:00 pm flight,  No charge by JB to change it.  Hopefully no more changes!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wnycruisefam said:

Thanks everyone!  It's just my husband & me.  After discussion, we decided to go with the least stressful option & changed our flight with Jet Blue to the 2:00 pm flight,  No charge by JB to change it.  Hopefully no more changes!

I'm sure this will work for you and glad you were able to change it. However....personally, I wouldn't want to spend that much time at FLL. But you can now take your time getting off and perhaps take a taxi to Lester's diner for a nice long breakfast (our favorite yummy food) as we have seen many do this, they even have a place to put your luggage. Then call a taxi or Uber to FLL.

On 10/3/2024 at 4:29 PM, wnycruisefam said:

Thanks for all the advice!  We do have TSA pre-check & we can be up and lining up to leave the ship by 6:30.

As long as there are usually taxis lined up & ready to go, I guess we'll take the chance!

Saphire:  good luck to you as well!  

On 10/6/2024 at 9:34 AM, wnycruisefam said:

We've been sitting at our gate at FLL by 8:00 many times.  We've got a 9:45 departure in December and aren't sweating it.  Can things happen?  Of course.  Usually our choices direct into Seattle are 7:00AM and 5:00PM, so it's always the later flight.  Every so often, Alaska puts another AM flight into the mix so it becomes worth the risk rather than rent a car for the day.

To ease your mind a little bit.... 

We cruise out of Miami several times a year. Miami is much further from FLL than Port Everglades. Every time we cruise from Miami, we fly to/from FLL. We let Carnival take our luggage the night before debarkation. We have breakfast on the ship, and take our time debarking. Once we're out of the terminal, we grab an Uber and head to FLL for our flights. Our flights are normally 10am flights. We have always been at FLL between 9:00-9:30. We do have TSA-Pre, we drop our luggage with skycap and do not go to any airline counter inside the airport. Once we drop our luggage outside, we go straight to security and to our terminal. Again, this is multiple times a year, have been consistent.

That being said, if you're not a savvy traveler and need to use a shuttle service, need to print airline tickets for some strange reason, don't have priority at TSA, then you may consider a later flight. If you use mobile tickets, drop your luggage with your airline skycap, will grab a rideshare when you're ready, and move quickly on debarkation day then you shouldn't have any issues. Of course, anything can cause delays at any time. YMMV.

On 10/6/2024 at 12:34 PM, wnycruisefam said:

Pity.  You could've easily made the 9:20 flight.  Hope you find enjoyable things to do for the short day in FLL.

On 10/6/2024 at 12:34 PM, wnycruisefam said:

To piggy back on this, what's to do for several hours before the flight? First time at PE/FLL and we have a 3:30 flight out. I saw a baggage storage location listed at FLL but the information was inconsistent and no one answers the phone at the listed number. We were hoping to drop the luggage and go out into the area for a bit, otherwise 6ish hours is a long time to sit at the airport and wait. Not looking to lug our bags around in ubers during that time.  Would love any suggestions

25 minutes ago, HappyGirl1959 said:

To piggy back on this, what's to do for several hours before the flight? First time at PE/FLL and we have a 3:30 flight out. I saw a baggage storage location listed at FLL but the information was inconsistent and no one answers the phone at the listed number. We were hoping to drop the luggage and go out into the area for a bit, otherwise 6ish hours is a long time to sit at the airport and wait. Not looking to lug our bags around in ubers during that time.  Would love any suggestions

Get a day room at Riverside Hotel on Las Olas. That way you have a room to take a nap or stow your luggage in while you do things. There's plenty to walk around to on Las Olas, or grab Circuit and head to the beach for a while.

2 hours ago, HappyGirl1959 said:

Check to see if the cruise line offers an after cruise shore excursion to kill time before your flight.  Be aware, they have flight time recommendations.  We have taken a couple and it’s a great way to spend time before your flight!

10 hours ago, HappyGirl1959 said:

Yes, there was day luggage storage close to the Delta Sky Priority desk in the terminal.