Tips for 1st timers

Donsyb

We’ve booked the in laws on QM2 transatlantic to New York next year. It’s not their first cruise, but is their first time on Cunard and first transatlantic.

Any tips or must/ mustn’t do’s gratefully received.  They’re in the basic balcony cabin, so no access to the higher level dining rooms etc.  MIL doesn’t drink but FIL likes nice wine.  MIL speaks fluent English but FIL doesn’t ( they are French).

TIA!

6 minutes ago, Donsyb said:

We’ve booked the in laws on QM2 transatlantic to New York next year. It’s not their first cruise, but is their first time on Cunard and first transatlantic.

Any tips or must/ mustn’t do’s gratefully received.  They’re in the basic balcony cabin, so no access to the higher level dining rooms etc.  MIL doesn’t drink but FIL likes nice wine.  MIL speaks fluent English but FIL doesn’t ( they are French).

TIA!

During the day:

The planetarium shows may be a good idea for a non-English speaker, at least there are graphics. Check with the librarian for availability of French  language books. Check the Daily Programme for classical music and other music concerts. There are really good French wines onboard that anyone can enjoy….😊 

• Thanks 1

We are in double figures on TAs, almost all in balcony rooms.

There are often International hosts on board to help non English speaking pax.  E.g. German, French ones.  Not guaranteed.  If there are enough pax they arrange a few separate activities and coffee mornings.  We had the pleasure of sharing a table on one Cunard cruise with a couple where she spoke perfect English and German (she was American by birth) but he had limited English.  We got on fine.

There is a full daily programme delivered to each room that lists events and activities.  Hopefully there will be something of interest for your family.  

All meals can be taken in the Britannia dining room with the option of using the self service buffet in the Kings Court for any meal if preferred.  The menu for an upcoming meal is displayed outside the MDR (Britannia) in advance.  We tend to check that for lunch to decide where we will eat.  Afternoon tea in the Queens Room should be experienced at least once if not more often or even every day.      

Some formal nights can be expected, 2 or 3, when the dress code is formal wear.    On other evenings smart but not not full formal (tuxedos etc) clothing is approrpriate in the MDR and some other areas such as the theatre.  

I think QM2 is a beautiful ship (not all agree) and bears exploration.  

I am sure they will enjoy it all, I hope so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Donsyb said:

TIA!

No restrictions on the volume of Wine, Beer, Spirits, Liquors and soft drinks being brought onboard.

If wished, book a future Cunard Voyage while onboard, for additional OBC, over and above any current Cunard Fare offers. AKA free money 

Consider purchasing 100 Carnival Shares for even more OBC - AKA free money

For a special evening Dine in the Verandah, taking the Wagyu steak and the Seafood Platter to share.  Also consider taking pre dining cocktails, both alcoholic and Virgin (both look identical) in the Verandah bar

Take pre/post dinner drinks in Sir Samuel’s or Commodore 

Embrace the dress codes to enjoy all that QM2 offers post 18.00 hours

Take a reserved private box on Gala Evenings (small fee applies). Private boxes are available to all without a fee on all other evenings.

When dining, ask one’s Sommelier for the Bin End List, in their pocket, not the one being part of presented actual Wine List, for great bargains on excellent Wines.

No doubt other CC members will add to the list…..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Planning to cruise said:

There is a full daily programme delivered to each room that lists events and activities.

I believe that if you notify Cunard in advance you can have that in languages other than English.

I take this as being possible due to seeing the Daily Programme in other languages in the cabin pigeonhole whilst walking along the corridor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

No restrictions on the volume of Wine, Beer, Spirits, Liquors and soft drinks being brought onboard.

If wished, book a future Cunard Voyage while onboard, for additional OBC, over and above any current Cunard Fare offers. AKA free money 

For a special evening Dine in the Verandah, taking the Wagyu steak and the Seafood Platter to share.  Also consider taking pre dining cocktails, both alcoholic and Virgin (both look identical) in the Verandah bar

Take a reserved private box on Gala Evenings (small fee applies). Private boxes are available to all without a fee on all other evenings.

When dining, ask one’s Sommelier for the Bin End List, in their pocket, not the one being part of presented actual Wine List, for great bargains on excellent Wines.

Just to clarify and clear any confusion, there are no Private Boxes on QM2 ( only the vista class ships) 

I'd recommend pre dinner cocktails in the 'Chart Room' & Commodore rather than Sir Samuels which is more or less a Coffee shop. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Planning to cruise said:

We are in double figures on TAs, almost all in balcony rooms.

There are often International hosts on board to help non English speaking pax.  E.g. German, French ones.  Not guaranteed.  If there are enough pax they arrange a few separate activities and coffee mornings.  We had the pleasure of sharing a table on one Cunard cruise with a couple where she spoke perfect English and German (she was American by birth) but he had limited English.  We got on fine.

There is a full daily programme delivered to each room that lists events and activities.  Hopefully there will be something of interest for your family.  

All meals can be taken in the Britannia dining room with the option of using the self service buffet in the Kings Court for any meal if preferred.  The menu for an upcoming meal is displayed outside the MDR (Britannia) in advance.  We tend to check that for lunch to decide where we will eat.  Afternoon tea in the Queens Room should be experienced at least once if not more often or even every day.      

Some formal nights can be expected, 2 or 3, when the dress code is formal wear.    On other evenings smart but not not full formal (tuxedos etc) clothing is approrpriate in the MDR and some other areas such as the theatre.  

I think QM2 is a beautiful ship (not all agree) and bears exploration.  

I am sure they will enjoy it all, I hope so.

The sailing does also pick up in Le Havre, so assuming there will be a few French on there!

8 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

Just to clarify and clear any confusion, there are no Private Boxes on QM2 ( only the vista class ships) 

I'd recommend pre dinner cocktails in the 'Chart Room' & Commodore rather than Sir Samuels which is more or less a Coffee shop. 

Apologies… One’s mistake…

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Donsyb said:

The sailing does also pick up in Le Havre, so assuming there will be a few French on there!

A little tip….. Avoid the extortionate UK Vat and Taxes on Wines etc.. Spirit prices are almost identical to UK.  There are no Wine etc., restrictions when boarding Cunard at a port stop.  A bottle, or two brought on at embarkation should suffice prior to Le Havre.

If embarking Southampton, then Le Havre will be port stop.  Cunard will run a shuttle to Le Havre centre, where there are many excellent wine stores along, and around, the main strip.  Google will assist, with some stores offering online select/purchase and store collection.  Browsing the many quality offerings will be enjoyable.  

There is also a large Carrefour Supermarket.

Additional

If taking one’s own bottle to MDR then there will be a nominal corkage fee.  Do give the “own” quality wine to the Sommelier the day prior to serving.  The Sommelier will correctly, care for, decant, serve and store.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Additional
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PORT ROYAL said:

On the other hand, as Cunard has an excellent and lengthy wine list, it hardly seems worth the trouble of carrying the stuff on board. 

Equally I wouldn’t go near the depressing and expensive Verandah Restaurant, unless the MDR food is truly awful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

I'd be interested in hearing more about this.  Is this relatively current info/. Likely available on QM2 specifically?  Brittania, QG, or both dining venues?

13 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

On the other hand, as Cunard has an excellent and lengthy wine list, it hardly seems worth the trouble of carrying the stuff on board. 

Equally I wouldn’t go near the depressing and expensive Verandah Restaurant, unless the MDR food is truly awful.

All critiques will assist the OP.

However, one would never call the quality Grand Vins of Bordeaux (Pomerol, Margaux, Saint-Émilion), stuff.

Just now, PORT ROYAL said:

All critiques will assist the OP.

However, one would never call the quality Grand Vins of Bordeaux (Pomerol, Margaux, Saint-Émilion), stuff.

You mightn’t, I would, but then I’m very common. 😀😀Anything I have to carry is stuff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

36 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

A little tip….. Avoid the extortionate UK Vat and Taxes on Wines etc.. Spirit prices are almost identical to UK.  There are no Wine etc., restrictions when boarding Cunard at a port stop.  A bottle, or two brought on at embarkation should suffice prior to Le Havre.

If embarking Southampton, then Le Havre will be port stop.  Cunard will run a shuttle to Le Havre centre, where there are many excellent wine stores along, and around, the main strip.  Google will assist, with some stores offering online select/purchase and store collection.  Browsing the many quality offerings will be enjoyable.  

There is also a large Carrefour Supermarket.

Additional

If taking one’s own bottle to MDR then there will be a nominal corkage fee.  Do give the “own” quality wine to the Sommelier the day prior to serving.  The Sommelier will correctly, care for, decant, serve and store.

Do you know how much corkage is?

4 minutes ago, vieux_carre said:

I'd be interested in hearing more about this.  Is this relatively current info/. Likely available on QM2 specifically?  Brittania, QG, or both dining venues?

The Bin Ends has been available to all Dining Rooms across all the true Queens one has sailed on.  Was introduced to its availability many, many years ago by Amarta (a wonderful knowledgeable MofW) Sommelier in Britannia.  Amarta, not surprisingly, soon went to Grills.   Never sailed on Anne, so unable to comment

Just ask one’s Sommelier, they will be happy to share.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

The Bin Ends has been available to all Dining Rooms across all the true Queens one has sailed on.  Was introduced to its availability many, many years ago by Amarta (a wonderful knowledgeable MofW) Sommelier in Britannia.  Amarta, not surprisingly, soon went to Grills.   Never sailed on Anne, so unable to comment

Just ask one’s Sommelier, they will be happy to share.  

Always a good idea to ask about bin ends but we have sailed on all four Queens [all true Cunard] and bin ends have not been available all the time.

Best deals were the bin end packages. Again, few and far between but worth asking about.

4 hours ago, Donsyb said:

TIA!

I would encourage your in laws to book 'Fixed Dining' for evening meals. More of a premium service when able to walk straight to a dedicated table and be welcomed by your dedicated wait staff .

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

I would encourage your in laws to book 'Fixed Dining' for evening meals. More of a premium service when able to walk straight to a dedicated table and be welcomed by your dedicated wait staff .

Good call…. Same Wait Staff, HW and Sommelier every evening adds to the dining experience.  

• Like 1

Their cabin attendant will be able to provide them with some little extras if needed, like feather pillows, extra tea/coffee/cookies blankets and sheets instead of duvets, additional bathroom items. Just ask. 

Also if they wish to use the fridge in the cabin just ask cabin attendant to remove the chargeable mini bar items. 

Similarly when dining tell them not to be frightened to ask for whatever they want for example, two starters or puddings or additional petit fours etc. If there’s nothing on the menu they like. Ask for alternatives. On one occasion I fancied fish and chips in the MDR. I asked and got them. 

Decent coffee (espresso etc) is also available during main dining room meals. 

In short, whatever it is they want. All they need to do is ask. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Bell Boy said:

That is why we like and prefer to book Britannia Club or a Grill Restaurant on our sailings.

We do prefer continuity doing our sailings not to say will vary our other sites on board to dine during our trips. We look forward to entering and exchanging greetings at each meal.

Our preferences..... 

• Like 2