Summit Alaskan cruise disappointment (MERGER OF 5 THREADS ON THIS TOPIC)

Hondu

I think that they get off tomorrow and I will bet that someone will post what happened and how many people were involved........

Anyone want to bet that there will be more than one version? :)

Anyone want to bet that the lawsuit is a non-happening.....?

Anyone want to bet that Summit gets fixed and that a good time will be had by almost all?

You and Pug are both right, but wrong issue. Once again, this is NOT a weather issue. The issue has to do with a ship that has a long history of breaking down for the same reason and how Celebrity chose to deal with the passengers on the cruise as well as those affected by the next cruise. Bad weather was not the issue. Any seasoned cruiser knows they will miss ports due to weather. On 11 cruises, we have probably missed only 5 ports total. Once we did get free drinks for an hour.

This is a much more serious issue for those who really care.

Griswalds

Will give you another example. For my 70th. birthday, we flew from Reno, NV to Monterey, CA, with a long stop over at SFO to stay five nights at Carmel Valley Ranch. Brought my golf clubs in the new travel bag that my DW gave me for Christmas. What happened! It rained and poured for five days, and we had no chance to play golf. What did we do, we had the time of our life, even though the people at Carmel Valley Ranch and their staff were just awful. Even going to Ventana to have lunch which was great, involved in getting soaked. Having my birthday dinner at the restaurant at Highland's Inn including getting soaked. To make things even better, to make our little 25 minute flight from Monterey to SFO and our 40 minute flight from SFO to RNO took a total of nine hours!

Did we demand a refund - no, neither from the resort or the airlines. Did we have a great time - yes. Enough Said!

I really really dont think that a senior crew member tried to intimidate a passanger. I know how hard and how much background checks and interviews they do for the Hotel managers job. ive had friends try to get them with no avail. I work in the resort field. First off they all come from 4 to 5 star resorts. There is no way an attitude like that would have kept them there in the first place. i read somewhere that they the people who were disappointed were told that they were told there were Israel secret police on the ship...to funny. yes there are security but trained killers...yep. I have the ex CiIA on my staff by the way....to funny....okay Im done on that subject part. To be honest the true story will never get out I think. you will have the complainers giving there side...the people who enjoyed everything telling another...and celebrity giving another. i think in the long run celebrity will give more..but not much more...and probably black list those passangers who were trouble...so in general they get nothing. I think this whole situation has just snowballed out of control here. I have a crusied with celebrity booked in November and they changed the intinary...o well...im not concerend...i want to rest and relax...Gee like the ship is so bad to be on. Hmmm great service..great food. Lots of activities...etc. Will i miss the port naaa. But of course thats me....other people like the stops and thats fine.

Okay Im done here...sorry for the spelling.....

Unless I'm mistaken, lots of posts have disappeared. Could have sworn this thread was 10+ pages long earlier today, and I think it was mentioned in the article in the "News" section which I know I read this AM.
No, you definitely are not mistaken. Yes, several posts were removed because they were in contravention of our Community Guidelines.

There were 2 or 3 posts that made very derogatory comments about other CC Members that were removed. Because others included quotes of those posts in their replies, and the quotes included the same derogatory comments, they had to be removed as well.

To everyone, please stay on subject here and please avoid making personal comments about your fellow members.

Thank you.

This is a quote as well Cruise Critic's very own rating on the Summit....

"One significant problem with Summit since its launch - and for other ships in the cruise line's Millennium-class - has been a technological one. An innovative "mermaid pod propulsion system" incorporated on Infinity has caused repeated breakdowns -- and resulted in cruise cancellations. Celebrity Cruises has taken the relatively unusual step of filing a $300 million lawsuit against the mermaid pod creators. In the meantime, the company has assured travelers that the breakdowns represent no safety hazard and will continue to offer generous compensation to passengers whose cruises are cancelled or interrupted as a result of the balky system. "

Summit does not have a long history of breaking down, Infinity does. You really should check your facts. I think it happened once. There was another time when she hit a rock and had to be repaired.

Summit does not have a long history of breaking down, Infinity does. You really should check your facts. I think it happened once. There was another time when she hit a rock and had to be repaired.

I'm not an expert, but according to http://www.ebearingnews.com

June 3, 2005 -"Summit has been particularly hard-hit by pod drive bearing failures. It was out of service just this past September for bearing failures, and has experienced pod drive bearing failures at least once a year since it was put in the water in 2002."

I believe this is the fourth time the bearings have needed unscheduled replacement. We are cruising on the Summit in one week, and would have made a different choice if the pattern of pod failure had been disclosed at the time of booking.

Black Obsidian, I did see your post earlier and wholeheartedly agreed with it. It's nice to hear rational and intelligent thought.

Please give the dates of cruises cancelled on SUMMIT because of propulsion problems. I know of one. We were on Summit for two weeks in September and I don't recall her being out of service for propulsion problems before or after. I do know she went to drydock after hitting a rock in Alaska.

Thank you for your reply. Your research is right on. You are now in a difficult position and it is too bad you were not aware of the problem when you booked. I am sure many cruiser are not aware of this information I hope things work out for you. The hubbard glacier is an incredible sight. Is Celebrity giving you any assurances that the ship will be ready next week?

We did not cruise Celebrity over Christmas a few year back as we are a family of 6 and did not want to take the chance.

Griswalds

I'm not an expert, but according to http://www.ebearingnews.com

June 3, 2005 -"Summit has been particularly hard-hit by pod drive bearing failures. It was out of service just this past September for bearing failures, and has experienced pod drive bearing failures at least once a year since it was put in the water in 2002."

I believe this is the fourth time the bearings have needed unscheduled replacement. We are cruising on the Summit in one week, and would have made a different choice if the pattern of pod failure had been disclosed at the time of booking.

Black Obsidian, I did see your post earlier and wholeheartedly agreed with it. It's nice to hear rational and intelligent thought.

The fact remains if you read the passenger contract (that you have agreed to) the cruiseline reserves the right to make changes to the itinerary and omit ports. This is a fact.

Everyone feels bad for the passengers who were looking forward to shore excursions etc... and ended up with a sea day. It is hugely disappointing however, they are not entitled to a full refund and punitive damages. Their contract & passenger ticket states changes may occur. Full stop.

I will be the first one to tell you that Celebrity, as well as any other cruiseline can certainly do wrong. They all do at one time or another. I can also tell you that whatever happens to me in my life, I can deal with it and be fair about it. I think that's what has people defending Celebrity. This is just a little over the top.

Please give the dates of cruises cancelled on SUMMIT because of propulsion problems. I know of one. We were on Summit for two weeks in September and I don't recall her being out of service for propulsion problems before or after. I do know she went to drydock after hitting a rock in Alaska.

Drydocks for the Summit

9/2/04 Emergency drydock for propulsion problems (San Francisco)

1/29/05 Scheduled drydock- I think this might have been extended a week for emergency repairs they found necessary.

6/2/05 Emergency drydock for propulsion problems (Victoria, BC). We were on the ship two weeks after this one.

5/21/06 Emergency drydock for propulsion problems

It sounds like an epidemic to me!

One Celebrity ship did hit a rock during Alaska cruises and had to be drydocked for several days for repairs. I am not certain it was the Summit.

To me, trying to compare a week of rain and being stuck in a hotel room to being on a cruise ship with a major mechanical problem doesn't make sense. If you were in a room with a leaky roof or a defective air conditioner unit and hotel management wouldn't do anything, the comparison might make sense.

I do agree that mass rioting is not an acceptable action by passengers, asking for a uniform response from X does make sense. Witness the different solutions offered to the BtoB cruisers. In that case, the squeaky wheels did get a more satisfactory resolution.

Having a vacation shortened or altered isn't fun.

Les

I agree having your vacation disturbed is not fun. We're supposedly talking about this particular cruise and missing Sitka and Seattle. It's a shame those ports were missed, but having done this cruise before I wouldn't call the vacation ruined except for having to deal with the nuts on board. I'm sure most of those on board are having a wonderful time and were pleased to have the onboard credit. Yes, you are absolutely right that those who make the most noise are sometimes rewarded, but then they also have to live with themselves every day so I guess they need all the monetary compensation they can get.

Drydocks for the Summit

One Celebrity ship did hit a rock during Alaska cruises and had to be drydocked for several days for repairs.

Les

It was the Summit that hit a rock coming out of the bay from the Hubbard Glacier in July 2003. I was on the ship at the time. No damage was done to the pods. The gash in the ship was at the ballast tanks.

Off topic (a little) but did you hear the Captain of the Mercury was arrested?

:eek:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/6420AP_WA_Ship_Captain_Alcohol.html

Nothing in the article or the threads said he was arrested. Don't know what the procedure in a situation like this is but the article only said he was removed, whatever that means.

Oh, you're right... just detained, sorry about that :)

SEATTLE -- The captain of a cruise ship has been accused of being intoxicated while sailing, KIRO 7 Eyewitness News reported.

Coast Guard crews were aboard the Mercury cruise ship in Seattle Friday afternoon checking out a hydraulic leak onboard one of the ship's lifeboats when they came into contact with the captain.

The Coast Guard requested assistance from the Seattle Police Department for a Breathalyzer.

The captain was detained.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/9248116/detail.html

No, you definitely are not mistaken. Yes, several posts were removed because they were in contravention of our Community Guidelines.

There were 2 or 3 posts that made very derogatory comments about other CC Members that were removed. Because others included quotes of those posts in their replies, and the quotes included the same derogatory comments, they had to be removed as well.

To everyone, please stay on subject here and please avoid making personal comments about your fellow members.

Thank you.

Walt, thanks for clearing that up. Thought I was losing my mind! Thanks also for the reminder to watch what we say.

Quote from another board.

"Joe1690

First Class Passenger

Member # 4889

posted 05-11-2006 11:37 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep, all 4 millennium class vessels have had pod problems. THe pods were designed to last 2 years but unfortunately they have not. The 4 Millennium class ships have had pod replacements 11 times since their introduction. The infiniy seems to have the most problems though as this is the 5th time that the pods have needed to be replaced on this ship. The replacement pods have occured in March 2002, September 2004, January 2005 (part of normally schedule dry dock), June 2005, and now May 2006. I am curious as to why the Infinity seems to have more problems than the rest of the Millennium Class ships. Could it be that this ship tends to sail at a faster cruising speed on average then the other ships, or possible the localities where it sails affect the pods? "

I do believe one of the M class ships has not had a pod problem but that is an educated guess only.

Griswalds

Was the repair successful? Did the rock survive?

What about the ship, did it have to be repaired?

Quote from another board.

"Joe1690

First Class Passenger

Member # 4889

posted 05-11-2006 11:37 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep, all 4 millennium class vessels have had pod problems. THe pods were designed to last 2 years but unfortunately they have not. The 4 Millennium class ships have had pod replacements 11 times since their introduction. The infiniy seems to have the most problems though as this is the 5th time that the pods have needed to be replaced on this ship. The replacement pods have occured in March 2002, September 2004, January 2005 (part of normally schedule dry dock), June 2005, and now May 2006. I am curious as to why the Infinity seems to have more problems than the rest of the Millennium Class ships. Could it be that this ship tends to sail at a faster cruising speed on average then the other ships, or possible the localities where it sails affect the pods? "

I do believe one of the M class ships has not had a pod problem but that is an educated guess only.

Griswalds

Are we talking about Infinity or Summit here? I was under the impression that Infinity was the one with the majority of the problems and Constellation the fewest.

Archived